PDA

View Full Version : Hair Forks

Simsy
February 24th, 2016, 06:29 PM
Does anyone use hair forks for specific styles? Are there any styles that hold better with a fork? I'm trying to expand my bun repertoire and I'm curious if forks have any advantages over sticks. Help please...

endersworld
February 24th, 2016, 07:09 PM
I've found that forks hold my hair a lot better than sticks do - there's just more to grab and hold things in place, so most buns work well or slightly better with a fork. I usually use one of my forks for cinnabuns and nautilus buns - my bun repertoire is also pretty small! I would definitely recommend finding a decent fork to put things up with, just to see if you like it. They're not for everyone, but I almost prefer them over sticks some days.

(side note: if you'd like to experiment with smaller metal forks, you can bend a couple of double-pointed knitting needles over a dresser knob and use those as a matched pair. I find that a lot of center-held buns will hold up well with just those, and I've got a lot of hair to hold up.)

Beatrixity
February 24th, 2016, 07:33 PM
I made the only fork I have by bending a brass rod I had. It's a simple two pronged fork with slightly curved in ends kinda like this ( ). It works very well and I find it tugs less on my scalp than a hairstick.

Deborah
February 24th, 2016, 08:45 PM
I think forks work better and hold more comfortably than sticks.

Groovy Granny
February 24th, 2016, 10:12 PM
My hair is so fine and slippery...I prefer forks and sticks for LWBs, Pha Buns etc (center held).
Cinnamon Buns are best held with ficcares, claws, and alligator clips.

Sarahlabyrinth
February 24th, 2016, 10:36 PM
For me, forks always hold better than sticks.

velvet orchid
February 25th, 2016, 02:14 AM
I agree with everyone above though for me my hair is so slippery I find I need at least a 3 pronged fork to hold most buns, though I guess it depends on your hair type as to which fork is best

Simsy
February 28th, 2016, 04:34 PM
Thank you all for the input. I have one fork at the moment and I'm finding myself reaching for that over the sticks most mornings. Might be time to go shopping for forks, and learn a couple more buns.:)