PDA

View Full Version : Measuring hair?

leialocks
February 24th, 2016, 03:58 AM
Hello, I'm very new here, I've only posted once so far on the introduction forum. I was wondering if someone could help me with measuring my hair for the information on my profile? Do I measure from my hairline above my forehead? I have very short hair at the moment, below my ears but above my shoulders, and there are a few layers there. Do I just measure to the bottom of the hairs that start at the front of my head when pulled up and over the back of my head, or do I go all the way down to the lowest part that all of my hair goes to? I'm sorry if this sounds muddled, I'm not sure how else to word it!

Nique1202
February 24th, 2016, 05:41 AM
Long story short: it's up to you, but be as consistent as possible.

Most of us measure from the middle of the front hairline, up over the back of the head, and just measure the longest section of hair. It's the most common method around here because it's consistent: it's easy to put the measuring tape in the same spot every time, and it's easy to see the longest part of your hair in the back. (It also gives the biggest measurement which makes it feel better when you want to grow to big numbers. :laugh: )

Some people just measure the length of a particular section of hair, usually either at the front hairline, the crown, or the nape. The problem with this method is that it's hard to get the exact same lock of hair every time, so results may be inconsistent in the long run, but some folks do it anyway because it's what they're used to.

Arctic
February 24th, 2016, 05:55 AM
Nique already answered the question. I wanted to chime in, that the LHC method is better for longer hair, but I've seen people with growing out pixies also use it. The number then will be misleading, and if the person trims the mullet regularly, the number wouldn't show progress which can be discouraging.

For short hair I would personally use visual mini-milestones and maybe measure a lock of hair, like section growing from the crown, or if you are growing out your bangs too, then that area might be good.

But basically it's up to you, what you find the most meaningful and (if you need it) motivating.

lithostoic
February 24th, 2016, 06:33 PM
I suggest measuring individual sections of hair until it all reaches about the same length c:

leialocks
February 25th, 2016, 03:37 AM
Thanks for answering guys! I've ended up doing the measuring from my front hairline and down the back of my head. I figured I'd go this way because all of my hair is already the same length anyway, I don't have short bangs (for the first time ever in my life!) My hair has always been longer than a growing out pixie as well, it's between my ears and shoulder, but closer to my shoulder and at the back it's all the way down my neck and a bit further.

So, from my front hairline over to just below my neck my hair is 17.5", and I'm pretty sure it's grown half an inch since I cut it in January. My goal is quite far away at 37 inches, which would be tailbone length I think, if I'm getting the positioning of my tailbone correct! :)