PDA

View Full Version : My hair is coming out in clumps through stress.....HELP :(

Idreamlong
February 23rd, 2016, 11:02 AM
As above.

Started a new job 4 weeks ago and it's horrendous. I'm bullied on a daily basis by one lady and I have little or no work to do (as she won't give me any!)

Anyway, that aside, all the stress has started to make my hair fall out....bad....if already feels thinner. I'm so upset, I honestly don't know what to do- stop the stress I get that by that doesn't help me right at the moment.

Is there anything I can put on my head to encourage fast regrowth? Any pills I can take? I have sea kelp and msm tablets in a drawer upstairs that I never bother to take. Would any of these be beneficial to me right now?

I'm honestly so worried I'm going to go bald, surely if you keep on losing hair that's what'll end up happening?!

maborosi
February 23rd, 2016, 11:08 AM
Worrying more is going to make it worse. And no, that's not necessarily what is going to happen. I've had some pretty big sheds before and my hair recovers from them.

I'd maybe like to ask, but have you tried to get your supervisor involved? This happened to me at my old job. I had one individual who was very petty and jealous and made my work time hell for me. She'd spread rumors about me that damaged my reputation, she would throw out my actual work and then try to claim I never did what I was supposed to, she'd tell my boss that I wasn't able to work so I shouldn't be given shifts, etc.

I eventually had to sit down with my boss and explain the situation, and, what do you know, that put a stop to her petty games pretty quick.

I hope you're able to reach a resolution. Just know that your hair isn't all going to fall out, that many members here have had major sheds (myself included!) and we've recovered. :grouphug:

Cg
February 23rd, 2016, 03:32 PM
You aren't going to go bald from stress! Many of us have had major sheds too. You will recover, and your hair will come back.

The first step is taking charge of resolving your work situation. Document the infractions, copy your list, and give one copy to your supervisor when you meet. Keep the other copy in case you need to see your supervisor's supervisor too.

Keep your positive goals in mind, and that will relieve some of your stress. Focus on what is going right in your life to retain a realistic perspective. I wish you well.

spidermom
February 23rd, 2016, 03:35 PM
I have to agree. There are no pills or potions that you can take to stop shedding from stress. There's nothing you can do but resolve the stress at work. Go to your supervisor, unless the coworker you speak of is your supervisor. Then go to her supervisor. I think every single one of us has to cope with a bully at work one time or another. :grouphug:

papayatree
February 23rd, 2016, 03:37 PM
I wish there was a cure for this, because it is an awful thing when hair comes out in clumps. I will join in the :grouphug:

vpatt
February 24th, 2016, 04:38 AM
:flowers: I agree on trying to resolve the work issue. Maybe try exercise to help with stress. Check out The Great Shed thread for tips and encouragement. I'm sorry you are having this happen. I hope you get things sorted at work. Hugs.

Hurven
February 24th, 2016, 05:13 AM
I'm so sorry about both your work situation and your hair. I hope things get better for you soon! :grouphug:

lapushka
February 24th, 2016, 05:34 AM
If you say "clumps". I imagine it coming out like with a cancer patient. Surely, it's not *that* bad!

If you experience a little more shedding: perfectly normal under stress situations. Don't go into overdrive, cause that's not what you need right now. I'd try and resolve the issue, then go from there.

Also, under stress, sometimes health and healthy eating can suffer, so take care of *you*!

FuzzyBlackWaves
February 24th, 2016, 11:01 AM
I'm so sorry that you're having such a hard time. You're very brave to persist in that situation. MSM might help a little. Please also remember that during times of stress everything seems worse than it actually is, so it could be that you're not loosing as much hair as you think. Hair always grows back and most people go through big sheds at some point or another. :blossom:

Silverbrumby
February 24th, 2016, 12:06 PM
Look into alternative stress relieving methods. Here are a few:

* Gym
* Meditation
* Hiking (hard)
* Personal training sessions
* Camomile tea
* Massage
* Swimming

Almost any exercise so long as it gets you tired. That blows off some of the stress hormones into a productive avenue. Thinking, fretting and trying to mentally solve the problem are all options on the table. For my money they'll happen anyway but doing something physical is like having a holiday from the stress.

Darkhorse1
February 24th, 2016, 08:26 PM
There is no magic solution to stop hair loss. If there was, the inventor of that solution would be rich. I too have lost hair due to stress shedding---oh, it was horrible. The pain of my scalp (I had SD to psoriasis patches that were inflamed and so painful). I was cleaning up fistfulls of hair from the floor.

I was lucky, I have a lot of hair and from what I learned, it you need to lose 50% of your hair to see noticeable balding. This is likely a 'stress' shed and they are gross, gross, gross.

Focus on what you CAN do. Change the bullying. People bully those who they feel don't/can't stand up for themselves. Start taking a stand. Go to a higher authority and tell them what's going on. By taking control of things, you will start to feel more comfortable, thus eliminating your stress level. Engaging in other activities to help focus your stress will help too---swimming, yoga---something you love to do.

The GOOD thing about stress shedding? The hair grows back. So, you will have hair regrowth :)

I hope things improve soon. If you have seborreah dermatitis and your scalp is scaley and painful, I suggest seeing your doctor for something to treat anything painful. I had to do this because it was just horrid. Thankfully never experienced that again!

Mullsha
February 24th, 2016, 08:47 PM
I agree with everyone here who says report to the boss, but I'd also like to offer some little tips (I'm in college and tend to get stress so I have looked up plenty of methods to reducing it drastically) One huge thing I do that I have to be careful of constantly is clench my jaw. Clenching your jaw can actually make you more stressed out then if you where to relax it. (It's really weird but works really well for me) Lots of sleep and peanuts are a natural stress reliever too! I hope you find a solution that works for you. All the groups hugs I shall give. :grouphug:

Idreamlong
February 27th, 2016, 08:48 AM
Hello, apologies for not responding to all your lovely replies.

Unfortunately the situation had become just untenable by Thursday morning, (Despite going above her and reporting it to senior management, nothing happened!) and after a month in that job I walked. Never in my life have I don't that and now for first time in my life I'm unemployed. Eeek.

However, the relief of not having to go into that vile environment with those vile people anymore is immense!

I'm already so much more relaxed and happy, yes I've got the worry of being unemployed but I'm hoping I can get another job pretty soon.

I expect I will experience some heavy shedding over the next month as a delayed result of all of this but for now hopefully it'll lessen the stress/ shed!

renia22
February 27th, 2016, 09:01 AM
Idreamlong- story to hear about your crazy work situation & hope things improve soon. As far as the stress causing hair loss, if you started the job a month ago, you wouldn't be seeing hair loss from the stress until 3-4 months later if that's in fact what's causing it. If your hair is shedding that much more, chances are it could be for some other reason. Might not be a bad idea to rule other causes out:

http://www.m.webmd.com/healthy-beauty/features/hair-stress-effect