PDA

View Full Version : Nape hair growth?

maborosi
February 20th, 2016, 10:01 PM
How weird. I was checking my hair out because, you know, I'm and LHC'er, and I noticed something quite odd.

I've always had baby fine nape hair. I always called it my 'baby hair'. It won't take henna particularly well, it's very very thin, fine, and floaty, and it doesn't grow.

Or so I thought. I never really took a minute to look, but I have clumps of nape hair that are still pretty clearly growing, one of which is MBL. (!!!)

Additionally, I've noticed that it seems I'm getting a fuzzy new patch of it on either side of my head- right below my ears. I've never seen or felt this hair before- it appears to be new little patches that're growing steadily. They're measuring a little over an inch. If it's brand-new growth, it's from within the last few months.

Can this peach-fuzzy nape hair grow? I've seen some spots of it that apparently are growing. Some of it has reached nearly 6-8 inches, then I have that straggler that's hitting MBL, too. Either my haircare is good enough that my uber fine, incredibly fragile babyhairs can grow, too, or it's new growth. I'm betting the former- but interestingly, my temple hairs by my ears, which used to never grow, are passing collarbone and finally being able to be pulled back into updos.

Mimha
February 21st, 2016, 04:06 AM
How weird. I was checking my hair out because, you know, I'm and LHC'er, and I noticed something quite odd.

I've always had baby fine nape hair. I always called it my 'baby hair'. It won't take henna particularly well, it's very very thin, fine, and floaty, and it doesn't grow.

Or so I thought. I never really took a minute to look, but I have clumps of nape hair that are still pretty clearly growing, one of which is MBL. (!!!)

Additionally, I've noticed that it seems I'm getting a fuzzy new patch of it on either side of my head- right below my ears. I've never seen or felt this hair before- it appears to be new little patches that're growing steadily. They're measuring a little over an inch. If it's brand-new growth, it's from within the last few months.

Can this peach-fuzzy nape hair grow? I've seen some spots of it that apparently are growing. Some of it has reached nearly 6-8 inches, then I have that straggler that's hitting MBL, too. Either my haircare is good enough that my uber fine, incredibly fragile babyhairs can grow, too, or it's new growth. I'm betting the former- but interestingly, my temple hairs by my ears, which used to never grow, are passing collarbone and finally being able to be pulled back into updos.

Hi maborosi ! :)

It is so funny : I have just noticed some similar thing on myself yesterday evening ! There are hairs growing on my temples that seem to grow thicker and longer than a year or two before. Or maybe I had not paid attention to them ?? (I'm stretching my washes and I wash less than a year ago : from every 3-4 days to every 5-7 days). Or maybe it is just a spring growth spurt... I know that I sometimes have new "fuller edge" growth that look promising... and then, some months later they have thinned out again. :( So I don't know if these particular hairs really have a true capacity to grow like the others.

However, I have on my nape a full strand that really seems to be willing to grow long, lol. It is only on the left side of my nape and grows down along my neck on 5 cm. :ponder: Weird looking ! I usually shave it off with my nape thin floaties, but this year I thought it was a pity to shave off a full strand of hair just because it grows outside of the scalp line. So I'm now letting it grow^^ It's finally long enough to be caught in my buns, so it's no longer so weird looking. I don't know how long it will keep growing though. I'll just wait and see. ^^

lapushka
February 21st, 2016, 05:03 AM
My nape hair is a little shorter than the rest, it tapers more. But it still grows. I think it's promising that you're seeing that. :)

Stray_mind
February 21st, 2016, 05:07 AM
My hair at the nape and the temples is also growing and forming thicker strands together. I think if it's hair, it can grow. :)

school of fish
February 21st, 2016, 06:38 AM
I'm going to guess that your current haircare routine is keeping your hair happy and is allowing those baby fine hairs to grow :)

I have a couple of different-but-related things going on with my baby hairs. My nape hair used to be all over the map lengthwise, and the ends would snarl up terribly. I've learned the hard way that my hair likes best to be one length - if it's not the strands tangle up on each other something fierce. I got into this cycle of constant detangling snarled up nape hairs, which weakened them and caused breakage, which worsened the problem. Vicious circle.

Things got better when I developed my current routine (involving better conditioning, deep moisture treatments, monthly microtrimming, a consistent henna schedule and sleep bunning), but although my general length got substantially better I still couldn't get ahead with those nape hairs because of the multiple strand lengths which still wanted catch on each other. Ultimately my solution was to chop in a pretty big undercut layer a bit above APL where the longest of the shortest pieces seemed to be. This has worked brilliantly! In one year since I cut the layer, it's grown from APL to BSL, healthy, no tangling. I'm not suggesting it's the right suggestion for everyone, but in my case it allowed me to get ahead of the breakage cycle. It really illustrated for me that the appropriate care for your particular hair can make all the difference :)

The other thing I've noticed is a whack of new nape growth, about 3-4 inches long, which if I calculate back is around when my post-partum hormones seemed to settle back into their normal pattern. It's funny, because I never really got either the classic pregnancy thickening or post-partum shed in any of my pregnancies, yet I did seem to get all this new growth. Because it's growing as its own 'layer' right now it's not tangling at all, but I wonder if in time I'll have to start microtrim-maintaining it the same way I'm doing my current undercut layer... time will tell!

Nique1202
February 21st, 2016, 08:38 AM
My nape hair tends to dry out and get matted and snarl up the rest of my hair around it. Last summer I finally decided to treat it to extra oils and silicones instead of just cutting it back all the time. Now it's about 6-7 inches long, not matting up at all, and going tidily into any bun that's not right on top of my head. So, for some of us it can definitely grow if it's treated gently and taken care of.

luvlonghair75
February 21st, 2016, 09:35 AM
Mine always grows into my regular hair. The short ones usually fly around like a mess but it doesn't seem to take long to get them into a braid and they grow with the others!

Brunette_Barbie
February 21st, 2016, 04:22 PM
I have a weird bang part near my neck if I cut it, it looks like an undershave so I just pin it with pop clips or bobby pins.

Robi-Bird
February 21st, 2016, 04:36 PM
Mine certainly grow, some are shoulder length, others are down to mbl, though they are stubborn hairs that like to tangle more than any other section, and they like to escape buns.

Wildcat Diva
February 21st, 2016, 04:44 PM
Mine never grow very long. I mean, if I shaved them,
They would come back, but as far as anything further than a few inches I don't think it is gonna happen.

AJNinami
February 22nd, 2016, 05:39 PM
My nape hairs have always been long, but recently I've noticed what I thought were natural bald patches around my hairline filling in dramatically. Seriously, it looks like I have tiny bangs! It really only started happening since I started stretching washes though. Perhaps the hairs around the edge of the scalp-being shorter and finer-don't have as much of a "grip" on them as the hairs further into the scalp, so they tend to fall out easier with extra manipulation (washing more often). Then it would make sense that stretching washes reduces their chance to grow longer.

I apologize for my rambles.