PDA

View Full Version : Need advice! Growing out BSL to WL :)

Anya15
February 19th, 2016, 08:00 PM
Hello! :) I'm new to the LHC. I recently decided to grow out my BSL hair to waist length. I have no idea how to take care of my hair.

I used to have long hair once upon a time (TBL) but it was full of split ends so...I don't think I was taking care of it properly.

My hair is currently 2b/2c. I experienced a lot of changes in hair type-My hair went from 2a/2b(which I had all my life) to 1c and now it's 2b/2c. The longest layer is BSL and the shortest is APL. My current routine is - coconut oil the night before I shampoo, and then I shampoo using a sulfate free herbal shampoo. I air dry, never use heat (unless I'm getting a haircut, where the stylist blow dries my hair. This is once or twice a year.) After my hair is dry I apply a bit of coconut oil to the ends, and do this every alternate day (every day if the weather is dry). I never use conditioner. I used to shed a lot but now it's under control.

Any tips/tricks as to how I should take care of my hair so that it grows fast? Also, best way to wear my 2b/2c wavy hair? I have this very bad habit of wearing it in a ponytail (braids are just awkward because my layers stick out.)

pailin
February 19th, 2016, 08:11 PM
First, why don't you use conditioner? Is there a specific reason?
Second, since you don't want to braid, can you do buns? They are actually better because they will protect your ends and get your hair out of the way of things like chair backs and bag straps. Check your hairties by the way; if you're going to use ponytails, some hairties are wose than others. For braids, mine shred too; I usually redo them several times during the day.
Third, how are you detangling your hair? This is important because this can make a big difference.
Also are you using heat tools, dyeing, or chemically straightening?

pailin
February 19th, 2016, 08:12 PM
Also, welcome to the forum and hope you find lots of help.

Anya15
February 20th, 2016, 12:13 AM
First, why don't you use conditioner? Is there a specific reason?
Second, since you don't want to braid, can you do buns? They are actually better because they will protect your ends and get your hair out of the way of things like chair backs and bag straps. Check your hairties by the way; if you're going to use ponytails, some hairties are wose than others. For braids, mine shred too; I usually redo them several times during the day.
Third, how are you detangling your hair? This is important because this can make a big difference.
Also are you using heat tools, dyeing, or chemically straightening?

I detangle once a day using a wide-toothed comb, and a few times during the day using my fingers.
Siliconey conditioners destroy my waves and make my hair greasy really fast, like in a day or two. I haven't been able to find a decent conditioner without silicones in it.
Buns fall apart on my hair, my shorter layers are too short :(
My hair has never been dyed (not even henna/natural stuff) and ive never gotten it chemically straightened. The last time it was blow dried was about 8 months ago. I've never used a flatiron on my hair, or a curling iron, or any other form of heat.

Thanks for the advice! :) I'll give braids another chance, maybe with a lot of bobby pins :P

pailin
February 20th, 2016, 01:01 AM
Sounds like for the most part you're doing things right. I'd really consider learning to put it up. And braiding more. I find leaving a longer tassel helps a bit with the braidshred, as well as oil/leave in conditioner. I think some people use gel.
For conditioner, did you use it on your whole head, or only from ears down? A lot of us can't put it anywhere near the scalp. If you put it all the way up at your roots, it is easy to have problems with greasiness. But, if your hair is easy to handle (ie detangle) and not overly dry without it, then it should be fine.

catasa
February 20th, 2016, 03:08 AM
Hi and welcome! :)

I also have trouble with conditioners, but I have had some luck with using pure honey as a conditioner when washing (just apply to lengths, let sit for a short while, and rinse out, just like normal conditioner). Honey is a humectant, meaning it will attract water/humidity, some hairs like it and some donīt, and it also depends on your climate (not advisable to use much humectant in dry climates I think, but if you are in India, I guess it isnīt dry?). It will not help much with detangling I think, but you donīt seem to have much trouble with that if I understand correctly.

Otherwise, using oil on lengths is good, but oil is a sealant, sealing moisture in but not really providing it in itself, so it is usually best to use oil on wet or damp hair. I have gone without conditioner for long periods, just using a few drops of mineral oil on wet hair directly after wash. You could try using your coconut oil on wet or damp hair instead of after it has dried, and if you want to use it in between washes, you could run wet hands through your hair a few times before adding the coconut oil.

I hope you find something that works! :flower:

Anya15
February 20th, 2016, 04:02 AM
Ears down. I never used conditioner on my scalp. But it would still become greasy pretty fast.

Anya15
February 20th, 2016, 04:05 AM
Hi and welcome! :)

I also have trouble with conditioners, but I have had some luck with using pure honey as a conditioner when washing (just apply to lengths, let sit for a short while, and rinse out, just like normal conditioner). Honey is a humectant, meaning it will attract water/humidity, some hairs like it and some donīt, and it also depends on your climate (not advisable to use much humectant in dry climates I think, but if you are in India, I guess it isnīt dry?). It will not help much with detangling I think, but you donīt seem to have much trouble with that if I understand correctly.

Otherwise, using oil on lengths is good, but oil is a sealant, sealing moisture in but not really providing it in itself, so it is usually best to use oil on wet or damp hair. I have gone without conditioner for long periods, just using a few drops of mineral oil on wet hair directly after wash. You could try using your coconut oil on wet or damp hair instead of after it has dried, and if you want to use it in between washes, you could run wet hands through your hair a few times before adding the coconut oil.

I hope you find something that works! :flower:

God, I still haven't figured out how to post properly xD Sorry for the double post, but I can't edit them so...
It varies in India. Some places (like the one I live in currently) are on the coastline so are very humid. My parents' place is like a semi-desert. I'll definitely try using the oil on damp hair! :) No detangling isn't a problem right now, but I suppose it would be if I grow my hair? When I was at tailbone my hair tangled a lot.

catasa
February 20th, 2016, 04:17 AM
God, I still haven't figured out how to post properly xD Sorry for the double post, but I can't edit them so...
It varies in India. Some places (like the one I live in currently) are on the coastline so are very humid. My parents' place is like a semi-desert. I'll definitely try using the oil on damp hair! :) No detangling isn't a problem right now, but I suppose it would be if I grow my hair? When I was at tailbone my hair tangled a lot.

Yes, I realized after posting that it was probably a stupid assumption, "India is humid", seeing as it is quite a large country... :oops: Detangling will probably get a bit worse with growing length but I guess it depends a lot on your hair type as well, my hair hardly tangles at all (at almost waist) but since it will probably get more damaged/worn with longer lengths it may change. Anyway, good luck with the damp oiling! :)

Anya15
February 20th, 2016, 08:14 PM
Yes, I realized after posting that it was probably a stupid assumption, "India is humid", seeing as it is quite a large country... :oops: Detangling will probably get a bit worse with growing length but I guess it depends a lot on your hair type as well, my hair hardly tangles at all (at almost waist) but since it will probably get more damaged/worn with longer lengths it may change. Anyway, good luck with the damp oiling! :)

Oh it's alright :) Thanks a lot!