PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping with hairsticks?

lapis_lazuli
February 19th, 2016, 02:28 PM
Hi! :waving:
So last night I was so tired, I fell asleep with my hair still in a LWB. I sleep on my side, so there was no discomfort. This morning, it was intact and I'm still wearing it now actually :lol: Does anyone else sleep with their hair bunned with a stick/fork? I'm considering this as an alternative to braiding, as I feel it would be a more protective style. The only thing I worry about is breaking the stick if I'm having a restless night... it's unlikely but possible, I think.

Thoughts?
Thanks! :blossom:

lapushka
February 19th, 2016, 02:45 PM
I'd get special sticks that don't poke out of your do, so you can sleep a little more comfortably... maybe. It's something to consider, at least.

I sleep with it loose; because it is bunned when I'm awake. It needs to be out of the way during my waking hours (I can't stand loose hair). At night it doesn't bother me that much. But hair needs to "breathe" a little, the scalp I mean. You can't keep it all bunned all the time.

lillielil
February 19th, 2016, 02:45 PM
I use a short fork whenever I bun my hair at night. A bent DPN is perfect for this, but I have also used a short Jeter fork. I only do it with a bun right on top of my head, otherwise the bun-bump would bother me.

school of fish
February 19th, 2016, 02:47 PM
I do it every night, and have for about 2 years now :)

I bun my hair high up on my head - used to do a lazy wrap but I'm finding these days a nautilus holds better. Shortish stick. I'm a side sleeper and a bit of a flop-arounder but the bun doesn't get in the way because it's so high up. My hair is super slippery so sometimes the stick will slide out by morning, but it's still more contained and protected than back when I wore it loose - I used to get mega-tangles that way.

Braiding's no good for me - not only do I have incredible braid shred which creates tangles within the braid, but also my uber-slippery strands actually move within the braid and rub against each other, causing friction damage. I know braiding works for so many others but it's actually a wildly unprotective type of styling for me :) The high bun with stick has been great for me - haven't seen any damage from that :)

missrandie
February 19th, 2016, 02:49 PM
I'm planning on doing something like this when I get enough length. I'll probably bun it very loosely on the top of my head.. Just enough to keep it in my sleep bonnet. Though instead of a fork, I was thinking about a silk scrunchie. But I'm a silkaholic :)

lapis_lazuli
February 19th, 2016, 02:57 PM
Huh, interesting... thanks for your replies! :flower:
The bun I wear sits on the back of my head, not on top. I wasn't bothered by it at all last night :) I just worry that braiding it is causing damage, since it kind of flops around when I move, whereas the bun stays in place. The LWB doesn't pull at my scalp at all either, so I'm leaning toward keeping it bunned when I sleep.

I'm just thinking of a way to minimize any potential damage :hmm:

HeartofHaleth
February 19th, 2016, 03:00 PM
Last night I slept with a (non-strangled by elastics that will rip out chunks of hair in the morning) bun for the first time! I did a cinnabun...ish on the top of my head, fastened with bent DPNs. It seemed to hold fairly well, though I think I'll try a different bun next time. I don't have any sticks that are short enough, but I think they'd probably work alright. Don't trust my advice, though! ;)

Nique1202
February 19th, 2016, 03:20 PM
Braiding dries out my hair overnight and leaving it loose just ends in tangles, so I sleep with a bun fastened with spin pins every night. They're not likely to fall out and stab me in my sleep when I toss and turn, the way I'm afraid a stick will. I have fallen asleep with sticks in (or my double-pointed knitting needle fork-pin) on occasion when I was so tired I forgot I wasn't wearing my spin pins, and they've never done me any harm, but I'm still too anxious about getting injured in my sleep to do it by choice.

fiðrildi
February 19th, 2016, 03:26 PM
I have slept with hairsticks and woken up with hairsticks and bun looking just the same :thumbsup:

Once I forgot that I was wearing a sharp one, and woke up to find that I had made a hole in the pillow (feathers here and there). So be careful with that ;)

hobbitlocks
February 19th, 2016, 03:27 PM
I often sleep with a cinabun/blog high on my head secured with a satin scrunchie. I did this even before I was serious about long hair care because it makes my hair look nice/keeps it out of the way. Braid waves and my natural slight wave pattern don't mesh that well so unless I'm sure I'm going to wear my hair up or braided the next day I avoid it. I've never thought to do with a hair stick because I toss and turn a lot and would be afraid of stabbing myself/my SO.

lapis_lazuli
February 19th, 2016, 03:35 PM
I have slept with hairsticks and woken up with hairsticks and bun looking just the same :thumbsup:

Once I forgot that I was wearing a sharp one, and woke up to find that I had made a hole in the pillow (feathers here and there). So be careful with that ;)

Haha! I hadn't considered that! ;)

Thank you all for your suggestions! I'll keep trying it and see if this works for me longterm. :)

Nadine <3
February 19th, 2016, 03:38 PM
I find for me they don't stay very well, but I really flail around in my sleep. I bun my hair on top of my head with a scrunchie

Christine_O
February 19th, 2016, 03:57 PM
I'm going to have to try a silk scrunchie when my hair gets a bit longer. I flail around way too much for sticks.

velvet orchid
February 19th, 2016, 03:58 PM
Hmm I think I would be worried about my stick coming loose and stabbing me or my SO as well. fiðrildi that's incredible I didn't know you could buy stick's that sharp, you're lucky you didn't get injured! :scared:

lapis_lazuli
February 19th, 2016, 04:11 PM
Hmm, some of these answers give me pause... the stick stayed right where it was last night and the bun is only slightly looser this morning. But I could totally see it coming out and hurting me. That would also leave my hair loose and down, which creates big tangles. I think I'm still going to try it, and just ensure the LWB is tight and secure before I sleep.
(Side note: the stick in my LWB is oriented vertically, which is why I can sleep on my side without issue :))

truepeacenik
February 19th, 2016, 04:12 PM
How I sleep
http://m.imgur.com/gallery/qgICshZ

I've fallen asleep with sticks in bun, but I wouldn't do it on purpose.
I have, however, worn a pony scrub hat with the bun well tied. The caps slides around, but the tie holds the bun.

Skade
February 19th, 2016, 04:44 PM
I've also fallen asleep with a stick, but never on purpose. But now you've got me all curious and I think I'll have to give it a try and see if it feels hairfriendly. :)

lapis_lazuli
February 19th, 2016, 04:53 PM
Eek, now I'm a little worried. :eek: I just want to do what's best for my hair. I haven't contemplated something so hard in a while :lol:

school of fish
February 19th, 2016, 05:05 PM
Eek, now I'm a little worried. :eek: I just want to do what's best for my hair. I haven't contemplated something so hard in a while :lol:

I suspect you're overthinking this now ;)

Give it a shot. If you like it, it's for you. If you don't, it's not. As far as potentially damaging practices go, I think this one is fairly low on the list :)

For the record, in 2 years of doing this I've never stabbed myself or my husband, have never punctured a pillow, have never destroyed any bedsheets. Not saying any of these things couldn't happen or haven't happened to others, I just think these things are the exception rather than the rule :) There's a little risk in everything in life ;)

lapis_lazuli
February 19th, 2016, 05:09 PM
I suspect you're overthinking this now ;)

Give it a shot. If you like it, it's for you. If you don't, it's not. As far as potentially damaging practices go, I think this one is fairly low on the list :)

For the record, in 2 years of doing this I've never stabbed myself or my husband, have never punctured a pillow, have never destroyed any bedsheets. Not saying any of these things couldn't happen or haven't happened to others, I just think these things are the exception rather than the rule :) There's a little risk in everything in life ;)

Haha, you're right :laugh:
I think I'm going to try it. Since the hairstick is oriented vertically, it's actually pretty comfortable to sleep on my side. Thanks for the encouragement :)

school of fish
February 19th, 2016, 05:35 PM
No worries :D
Sweet dreams, haha! ;)

MsPharaohMoan
February 19th, 2016, 05:37 PM
Lol, worrying about health. I'd worry about snapping my hairtoy. Make sure your toy is sturdy just in case it comes out and you roll over on top of it!

lapis_lazuli
February 19th, 2016, 05:39 PM
Lol, worrying about health. I'd worry about snapping my hairtoy. Make sure your toy is sturdy just in case it comes out and you roll over on top of it!

Yeah, for sure! I'll make sure it's nice and secure :)

meteor
February 19th, 2016, 05:45 PM
I live in braided buns and I sleep with the same braided buns, but usually with the hair stick removed. The bun becomes loose, of course, but the braid stays coiled more or less above my head. It feels very comfy and it does contain my hair.
Sometimes, I fall asleep with a bun still fastened with a small hairstick, but it doesn't feel as comfortable, as I like to toss and turn and secured bun tends to pull when I'm sleeping on the side.

Generally speaking, I'd recommend finding the most comfortable way that also helps keep hair from tangling. It's pretty YMMV. :) Depending on how exactly you sleep and how your hair behaves, it could be anything from buns, braids, pineapples, silk scarf wraps to leaving hair loose in a satin bonnet or coiled above the pillow or in a silk-lined groove between the mattress and the headboard... there are so many different ways of protecting hair at night. :)

Adiro
February 19th, 2016, 05:48 PM
I used to braid it regularly when I just joined LHC. Nowadays I do sleep with it in a high bun with one shirt stick, or with a short Jeter, but most often I sleep with my hair free in a silk night cap....
Braiding is tediuous, and it resulted in more shed hair for me...

Wildcat Diva
February 19th, 2016, 06:21 PM
I do a nautilus on the top of my head and use a stick or fork, whatever. Silk sleep cap if I can find it.

RitaCeleste
February 19th, 2016, 06:40 PM
Oh, I use to fall asleep in them. One by one they broke.....I hid the rest from myself and stopped wearing it up. Wearing it down it had too much weight on the top, one thing led to another and it is too short for a ponytail after all the years I had it long. But it is darn healthy since I did start taking better care of it along the way. This place is a goldmine, keep reading!

lapis_lazuli
February 19th, 2016, 06:59 PM
Oh, I use to fall asleep in them. One by one they broke.....I hid the rest from myself and stopped wearing it up. Wearing it down it had too much weight on the top, one thing led to another and it is too short for a ponytail after all the years I had it long. But it is darn healthy since I did start taking better care of it along the way. This place is a goldmine, keep reading!

Oy! I'm sorry to hear that! That is my one concern, that somehow my sticks will get broken... I have a couple of cheaper ones however, so I'll experiment with those. :)

For those curious, this is how I'd wear my hair to sleep:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=21095&d=1453580837

CurlyCap
February 19th, 2016, 07:14 PM
I frequently sleep in a topknot held with a stick. I toss and turn when I sleep, and it holds.

Trick is to make sure the stick can slide back and forth, but still hold the bun. So when I turn, my head hits the pillow, and the stick slides a bit to compensate.

Added bonus: Excellent hair volume from sleeping with hair up all night (if I want to wear it down). And less tangles.

goneJackal
February 19th, 2016, 10:29 PM
Today was the first time I slept with a hairstick.

I woke up in the morning because one of my cats was asking for food.
Put the hairstick - that is always under the pillow - on, went to the kitchen, prepared the food, gave it to the cat and jumped on the bed.
I usually take off the hairstick and put it back under the pillow, but today I forgot. Woke up later, searched the hairstick under the pillow... and noticed my hair was already up!

I sleep with my hair loose, I find it more comfortable.
But as my hair becomes longer, I noticed I have to be more careful when moving on the bed.

Mimha
February 20th, 2016, 04:00 AM
Oy! I'm sorry to hear that! That is my one concern, that somehow my sticks will get broken... I have a couple of cheaper ones however, so I'll experiment with those. :)

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=21095&d=1453580837

Gosh, Lapis ! This is such an elegant updo !! :thud:

julee
February 20th, 2016, 06:24 AM
I don't have the energy to braid at night so I usually have my hair in a high LWB, with an Ead, ketylo, LadyIdun or wooden mamacat spiral.

embee
February 20th, 2016, 06:57 AM
I almost always sleep with my hair in a bun - either back of my head or top.... held with a fairly short fork. Sometimes the fork works loose and I find it in the bed in the morning but it's never done any damage. The bun on the back of my head keeps me from sleeping on my back, which is a good thing for me.

lapis_lazuli
February 20th, 2016, 10:54 AM
Aw, thank you, Mimha! You're making me blush :o

Well, I tried it out last night and it came out by morning. Guess I didn't secure it well enough. Will try again tonight! :) I'm determined to make this work :D

Lirona
February 20th, 2016, 11:02 AM

Oh wow, does that bun have a name? Is there a tutorial somewhere? I must know! It is absolutely stunning!

Mavi
February 20th, 2016, 11:06 AM
I sleep with sticks and forks, sometimes pencils. Length is the only thing that may cause discomfort. I insert my sticks horizontally so they have to be pretty short in order to not be pushed out or into my head.

lapis_lazuli
February 20th, 2016, 11:37 AM
Thank you, Lirona!!! It's a LWB but oriented vertically :) Very simple. This is where I learned it: http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Lazy-Wrap-Bun
I just push the stick more upward than in this tutorial :o

goneJackal
February 20th, 2016, 11:52 AM

"Gotta look beautiful for my dreams!" http://www.felipesv.com/forum/k_safado.gif

LongCurlyTress
February 20th, 2016, 12:01 PM
Thank you, Lirona!!! It's a LWB but oriented vertically :) Very simple. This is where I learned it: http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Lazy-Wrap-Bun
I just push the stick more upward than in this tutorial :o

This is a really nice, easy to understand explanation of how to do a lwb. Thanks for posting. I will bookmark it here if anyone ever asks how to make one. :o

lapis_lazuli
February 20th, 2016, 01:04 PM
"Gotta look beautiful for my dreams!" http://www.felipesv.com/forum/k_safado.gif

LOL, you know it! :laugh: ;)

This is a really nice, easy to understand explanation of how to do a lwb. Thanks for posting. I will bookmark it here if anyone ever asks how to make one. :o

Glad I could help, LCT! :)

Hypnotica
February 20th, 2016, 01:14 PM
I sleep with a hair stick, a Ficcare or a 4 pronged short fork. I prefer the fork as I can do a very loose bun. Sometimes the fork has slid out by the morning but the hair is still in a contained bun. Ficcares are too heavy to sleep in for many nights in a row but I prefer the Ficcare if I travel (train or by plane) as they are comfy to sleep in sitting upright.

mindwiped
February 21st, 2016, 03:06 AM
You'll have to watch and wait until the vacation is over, but RavensLair makes an aluminum hair stick...here are her cignon pins which I've drooled about having- https://www.etsy.com/listing/205748878/hair-fork-now-in-titanium-the-moirai-the?ref=hp_mod_rf

samanthaa
February 23rd, 2016, 09:55 AM
I don't own any hairsticks (yet--I have one in the mail!), but I often sleep in a high nautilus secured with my simple band flexi.

lapis_lazuli
February 23rd, 2016, 01:26 PM
I've slept the last two nights in a LWB with one of my smaller sticks, and it's stayed until morning. Huzzah! :happydance:
I think I've found my new nighttime style - much easier than a braid that strangles me in my sleep ;)

Hailey
February 28th, 2019, 12:20 AM
I do it really depends on the person i sleep on my side/stomach so it Dosent really effect me (: I personally love sleeping with hair sticks hasn’t failed me yet

February 28th, 2019, 01:26 AM
Sounds really, really secure. Dunno where to get such short sticks, though! Anyone? I have one short horn mini stick but it works only when I have short hair, on long hair it's too short and can't contain my thick hair. And my other sticks are too long.

Simsy
February 28th, 2019, 02:45 AM
I have a pair of acrylic forks that I use daily for bunning. I sleep, shower and work in the same Artamis/vertical Nautalis bun. I usually wear the forks vertically inserted from underneath, so that they don’t get caught in bedding or the loose strands underneath my bun.

FrayedFire
March 6th, 2019, 01:14 PM
I sometimes do a top bun with a stick that's short enough it doesn't "stick" out and it stays about half the time.