PDA

View Full Version : Stretching washes: how to get maximum body when there's increased sebum?

DarleneH
February 18th, 2016, 02:04 PM
All of you who've tried stretching washes have I'm sure dealt with increased greasiness. What can be done to create maximum body when there's increased oil present? I look better with a bit of fluff around my face, so I don't want to give that up. It isn't helping that my hair is inching past waist length now, but I'm just not ready to cut it yet and am trying to go as long as possible between washes.

bunneh.
February 18th, 2016, 02:25 PM
Stretch washes slowly, one day at a time and that should help with keeping your hair less greasy. If it gets greasy before wash day then you can try some dry shampoo, that will absorb the extra oilyness and get your hair in a better shape.

Anje
February 18th, 2016, 02:31 PM
Honestly, I just roll with it and wash when the sebum hits a certain point. My scalp reacts based partly on what I've been washing with lately (and at least partly also on the weather/season, with winter being my greasiest time). When my washes are more stretched, my hair is as light on day 4 as it is now on day 2.

Llama
February 18th, 2016, 02:51 PM
Dry shampoo really helps with this for me. I have tried lots of different types and the best for volume and removing the greasy look has been Batiste. It does have a strong smell though. I use Klorane on days I want it to look better and not have the Batiste smell.

lapushka
February 18th, 2016, 03:09 PM
All of you who've tried stretching washes have I'm sure dealt with increased greasiness. What can be done to create maximum body when there's increased oil present? I look better with a bit of fluff around my face, so I don't want to give that up. It isn't helping that my hair is inching past waist length now, but I'm just not ready to cut it yet and am trying to go as long as possible between washes.

My hair is always in a bun, except at night (loose). Especially on day 4/5/6 (day 7 = washday) I'm glad it is in a bun. I think it would be better to stick with updos on your oily days, just MHO.

Cg
February 18th, 2016, 04:09 PM
Any bun or updo works for oily days. You can also add a headband or fascinator. When truly desperate, hats are invaluable!

lithostoic
February 18th, 2016, 04:50 PM
Before bed, scritch, preen, and use a bbb on your hair. Then put in loads of dry shampoo and twisty bun it on top of your head while you sleep. Dry shampoo works best at absorbing oil if it's left overnight. Then you'll have nice big bun waves/curls c:

Nadine <3
February 18th, 2016, 09:20 PM
Once my hair is oily I bun it and roll with the slicked back, gelled look. Sometimes I pull out a few face framing pieces.

MsPharaohMoan
February 18th, 2016, 11:09 PM
face framing braids! greasy hair makes the neatest braids...

lapis_lazuli
February 18th, 2016, 11:14 PM
Stretch washes slowly, one day at a time and that should help with keeping your hair less greasy. If it gets greasy before wash day then you can try some dry shampoo, that will absorb the extra oilyness and get your hair in a better shape.

Yes to this! It should get better with time :) I'm on day 15 (not on purpose!) and my hair is no greasier than it was on day 5. Hopefully dry shampoo can help if you're finding the grease too much. :flower:

hairandtherian
February 18th, 2016, 11:22 PM
The oil seems to stiffen my hair a bit like it's been gelled, so the hair framing my face is lifted off the scalp really well. The crown hair wants to be super flat though, so I have to use Batiste (the only dry shampoo I've tried). My hair is sometimes wearable down on day 5 without dry shampoo, sometimes I need it, or will need to wear it up or covered.

DarleneH
February 19th, 2016, 01:19 PM
Before bed, scritch, preen, and use a bbb on your hair. Then put in loads of dry shampoo and twisty bun it on top of your head while you sleep. Dry shampoo works best at absorbing oil if it's left overnight. Then you'll have nice big bun waves/curls c:

Do you leave the dry shampoo in overnight, or are you saying use it as directed then bun and sleep?

Thanks, everybody! I'm going to try these.

lillielil
February 19th, 2016, 01:24 PM
Do you leave the dry shampoo in overnight, or are you saying use it as directed then bun and sleep?

Thanks, everybody! I'm going to try these.

I 2nd dry shampoo at night!

I spray in dry shampoo at the roots (I only do the front of my head back to the crown - it doesn't look greasy below that). I do not rub it in or fluff it or otherwise mess with it. With minimal manipulation, I either loosely braid, bun, or just leave it. By morning, the powder is invisible and I just have non-greasy roots with volume. This only works for me one time between washes. An additional layer of dry shampoo just makes my scalp unhappy and ends up looking gross on me, but YMMV.