PDA

View Full Version : 3 years hairaversary!

FuzzyBlackWaves
February 17th, 2016, 03:24 PM
Time flies!

http://i1324.photobucket.com/albums/u605/NikkiBik/3%20years%20hair%20growth_zpsd1ys8mu8.jpg (http://s1324.photobucket.com/user/NikkiBik/media/3%20years%20hair%20growth_zpsd1ys8mu8.jpg.html)

Left to right: The 'before', 1 year in, 2 years in, today.

In the first year I made a lot of progress by giving up heat and the blow dryer, tying it up for bed, using a wide tooth comb to detangle from the bottom-up, introducing daily scalp massages and using coconut oil treatments. I overcame a false terminal of BSL and was over the moon to be in mid-back territory.

In the second year I started to use chemical dye on my roots only rather than my full head as I had done previously. I didn't gain much growth but the condition of my length continued to improve. I noticed my ends filling out quite a lot from what they were and that most of my layers grew out.

During this third year I honestly thought my hair hadn't grown any but looking at the photo it has. I've recently given up chemical dyes and made the switch to hendigo as well as wearing a headscarf to bed every night instead of the loose braid I used to use. I plan on trimming a lot this year to get rid of the final bits of layers and to start working on evening out my hemline. I honestly don't know if it'll ever get thicker but I'm hoping that the ends are just the result of my old damaging habits and not genetic.

Thanks for looking! :o

bunneh.
February 17th, 2016, 03:34 PM
Congratz! Nice progress and lovely hair, love the waves/curls. :D

copperlites
February 17th, 2016, 03:39 PM
Congratulations your hair is beautiful. You have a great figure too btw! I'm about two years behind you in both letting go of damaging practise and embracing my natural texture but I hope it turns out as pretty as yours.

arr
February 17th, 2016, 04:21 PM
Your hair is beautiful! May I ask for some details about how exactly you use the headscarf for sleep? Do you bun or braid it first or how exactly do you contain your hair in the scarf? I always braid my hair but I don't always want braid waves. It would be nice to have an alternative.

earthybee
February 17th, 2016, 04:34 PM
Happy Anniversary! Your waves are so beautiful! :heart:

momschicklets
February 17th, 2016, 08:17 PM
:toast::toast::toast:Congratulations on such beautiful, lovely growth! I just love your waves and shine.....and you're not far from your goal!!

khryz
February 17th, 2016, 08:31 PM
Happy hair-ivesary! I love your waves and shine! Now if only I could be happy with my natural black hair like you do!

Sarahlabyrinth
February 17th, 2016, 08:50 PM
Happy hairiversary, you have had lovely growth and your hair is looking very happy:)

Sarahlabyrinth
February 17th, 2016, 08:51 PM
Happy hair-ivesary! I love your waves and shine! Now if only I could be happy with my natural black hair like you do!

Black hair is so beautiful, it is, really! I always wanted black hair, though I know it wouldn't suit me.

Mirabele
February 18th, 2016, 12:52 AM
beautiful hair, i love your waves! that is amazing growth!

lapis_lazuli
February 18th, 2016, 12:54 AM
That is great progress, FuzzyBlackWaves! Congrats! Here's to many more years! :toast:
(I love your wurls and curls btw :))

parkmikii
February 18th, 2016, 12:56 AM
Beautiful hair, congratulations!

FuzzyBlackWaves
February 18th, 2016, 12:15 PM
congratz! Nice progress and lovely hair, love the waves/curls. :d

happy anniversary! Your waves are so beautiful! :heart:

happy hairiversary, you have had lovely growth and your hair is looking very happy:)

beautiful hair, i love your waves! That is amazing growth!

that is great progress, fuzzyblackwaves! Congrats! Here's to many more years! :toast:
(i love your wurls and curls btw :))

beautiful hair, congratulations!

:toast::toast::toast:congratulations on such beautiful, lovely growth! I just love your waves and shine.....and you're not far from your goal!!

Thankyou all so, so much! :blossom: You're all so nice! It's so exciting to be close to the end goal.

congratulations your hair is beautiful. You have a great figure too btw! I'm about two years behind you in both letting go of damaging practise and embracing my natural texture but i hope it turns out as pretty as yours.

Thanks so much! Your hair already looks beautiful (so healthy and what a gorgeous colour!) so I'm sure it'll look even more radiant as it grows out stronger and healthier. It can be tough to unlearn things like heatstyling but natural variants in texture make things more interesting I think.

your hair is beautiful! May i ask for some details about how exactly you use the headscarf for sleep? Do you bun or braid it first or how exactly do you contain your hair in the scarf? I always braid my hair but i don't always want braid waves. It would be nice to have an alternative.

Thankyou! :o And of course! I make a very, very loose bun on top of my head and tip my head downward. Then I drape the scarf over the back of my head so that the two ends are opposite sides of my head. I cross those sides over and tie them at the back of my head, being careful to create a secure knot and not catch any of my hair in it. Then I put a headband over the scarf to make sure it stays put all night.

Think of it as like making a towel turban but folding the scarf over the hair rather than twisting it around the hair.

In the morning I have extremely loose curls/flippy ends rather than waves but I think it'd be quite straight on hair that isn't naturally wavy.

happy hair-ivesary! I love your waves and shine! Now if only i could be happy with my natural black hair like you do!

black hair is so beautiful, it is, really! I always wanted black hair, though i know it wouldn't suit me.

Thankyou both! It's a biased opinion but I do think black hair looks lovely on lots of people. It can be quite intimidating to go so dark at first but sometimes adding warmer highlights can create a bit more depth for those who want it. I've personally found that henna is really useful for adding some softness to the colour.

Of course, it's perfectly ok to just admire a certain colour from afar as well! I was like that with red up until recently. :o

Pol
February 18th, 2016, 01:29 PM
Your hair is beautiful and you certainly suit the hendigo! What amazing growth and increased thickness, for someone like me at the beginning of growing it's very encouraging to see how much progress can be made with a little (or a lot of!) patience. Thanks too for the overnight scarf idea, going to give that a try. I am constantly trying new things to contain my hair overnight, comfortably!