PDA

View Full Version : Scalp issues.. Help?

NagChampa
February 17th, 2016, 02:25 PM
This may seem quite icky but recently I have been developing red spots (without heads) on my scalp primarily in a cluster close to my right temple with a few randomly dispersed. I have NO idea what could be causing these as I do not use sulfates, parabens and only organic, natural products to wash my hair. I only condition it using natural DIY masks to which I have used in the past. I have not updated my regimen, started doing something different and I do not have head lice. I am young and beginning to get concerned as these spots seem to be creating hair fall around my roots at my forehead and it's visible to me. Any suggestions?:pray:

Anje
February 17th, 2016, 02:41 PM
Occasionally I get scalp zits and in the past I've started washing with full-strength sulfate shampoo instead of my usual heavily diluted stuff. That seems to do the trick. But if they're clustered and you think there's hair falling out, I'm not sure it's scalp zits. Get someone to look at it -- there's a possibility it's ringworm (which is a fungus, basically the same thing as athlete's foot). If that's what it is, you'll want to treat it with an antifungal according to the directions. Any new pets or young children? Those are likely sources.

Nique1202
February 17th, 2016, 02:45 PM
It's possible to develop skin reactions to products that you've used even for years, which could show as red irritated spots on the scalp. You could try changing or removing one product that you use and see if not using it improves it in a few washes, and go through until maybe you find something that's causing it. It's also possible to develop conditions like SD (seborrheic dermatitis) even if your hair and scalp seemed to be happy all along.

Also, sometimes scalps can seem to like routines, but slowly get worse instead of showing a reaction instantly. I know that my mom started getting lots of red sores on her head when she switched to a sulfate-free shampoo for a while. It took half a year for them to start, I guess because the sulfate-free she was using was ALMOST strong enough to keep it at bay but not quite, and they went away almost immediately when she went back to sulfates. We're still not quite sure what it was because she never saw a dermatologist about it but basically scalps are weird and constantly changing.

Whether it's one of those or something else, I hope you figure it out soon! Scalp problems are the WORST especially if it might be causing you hairfall. :shudder:

Arctic
February 17th, 2016, 02:50 PM
I got scalp infection when I experimented with CO washing. I had (yeah TMI here too) lot of scalp bumps, infected follicles. I can't remember the details anymore, but like Anje, I'm recalling it healed with ditching th CO and going back to sulphates. The worst thing is that this episode sensitized my scalp to conditioners, and even after years I can't have conditioner on my scalp.

I also get scalp breakouts from oils too, same principle as with conditioners. I can't use oils on hair care either (other than very occasionally). These too heal when I do few full strength sulphate washes.

My scalp in general likes to be very clean, I can get breakouts even from my own sebum.

meteor
February 17th, 2016, 06:31 PM
This may seem quite icky but recently I have been developing red spots (without heads) on my scalp primarily in a cluster close to my right temple with a few randomly dispersed. I have NO idea what could be causing these as I do not use sulfates, parabens and only organic, natural products to wash my hair. I only condition it using natural DIY masks to which I have used in the past. I have not updated my regimen, started doing something different and I do not have head lice. I am young and beginning to get concerned as these spots seem to be creating hair fall around my roots at my forehead and it's visible to me. Any suggestions?:pray:

Could it be a reaction to one (or more) of your natural ingredients? The thing is, many botanicals can be allergens and trigger reactions, and it would be pretty hard to pinpoint the culprit if you are using many things at once...

I'd temporarily move to a very simple, clarifying shampoo that you know you don't react to and cut out all those complex masks and treatments rich in oils and botanicals. If you suspect SD, you could try an anti-dandruff, anti-fungal shampoo (e.g. ketoconazole-based Nizoral).
But if it doesn't clear up fast, I'd really recommend going to a doctor. :flower:

pailin
February 17th, 2016, 07:29 PM
I'd just like to say sulfates really are not evil (there are good reasons they're so widely used), and 'gentler' things are not always better for you. I'll second the thought that sometimes something seems great for your scalp for a long time before it suddenly causes problems. If you're having scalp problems, the likely culprit is something you're using,so the first thing to do is change what goes on your scalp. Shampoo with a short ingredient list is a great idea, since it can help you narrow down the possible causes. Something lightweight or clarifying.
Also, if you're having spots mainly in one area and are having hair loss there, seriously consider seeing a doctor.

Silverbrumby
February 17th, 2016, 07:52 PM

I'm thinking the DIY masks. Do you put them on your scalp? What are they made of? Do you stretch shampooing?

btw, I find I need shampoo for dandruff or my scalp gets red and inflamed. Feels hot. This shampoo, left on for 5 minutes, treats my scalp and prevents this type of thing.

NagChampa
February 20th, 2016, 07:42 AM
No pets or young children Anje but thankyou for that suggestion - I have never heard of it before and will look into it. Since joining this forum I have moved onto the no sulphate etc movement when in all honesty my scalp never had an issue with sulfates. This issues have only began to arise since I stopped using them. I think my DIY masks may be contributing to this issue also as I use things such as castor oil, egg, banana and I never repeatedly use a mask. It's a new formulation every time. I am very very good at stretching washes as my hair rarely becomes noticeably oily so I do a week tops between a wash with no water washes inbetween. When I do finally get round to washing my hair I use a mask (whatever new recipe I've found) and then I use a non-sulphate and paraben etc shampoo mixed slightly with the coconut & hibiscus shea moisture shampoo which I love but it is very heavy (thus the dilution). I then use the body shops banana conditioner. I think tonight I will go and purchase myself a very basic own brand or generic brand shampoo & conditioner and switch to that combination for a while to see if there are any improvements. I must say that I have experienced these spots in the past but only one at a time. I have about 5 at the moment not noticeably big but bumps I can feel with my finger pads - since posting however some of these have in-fact cleared up and gone entirely. I will update you on my progress! Thankyou very much for all the suggestions, do not worry about my hair loss as I think it is just picking which could be down to me picking at these spots (bad I know). I am not exactly experiencing hair loss but rather thinning. Thankyou all for your concerns.

NagChampa
February 20th, 2016, 07:45 AM
I have just checked the NHS information and various images regarding ringworm Anje and I do not think that is my scenario however I will keep it in consideration - I am very grateful.

lapushka
February 20th, 2016, 08:30 AM
If you don't have an issue with sulfate shampoos, then I do recommend clarify-washing; use a sulfate shampoo you still (might hopefully) have in your stash and see if it clears up or soothes the spots. I could not go sulfate-free or CO-wash because my SD (red itchy spots, scales) cropped up, but SD might manifest itself like in your case as well. In that case, try (as meteor suggested) anti-fungal shampoos like Nizoral. If I get flare-ups it's what I use.

calmyogi
February 20th, 2016, 09:42 AM
It's possible to develop skin reactions to products that you've used even for years, which could show as red irritated spots on the scalp. You could try changing or removing one product that you use and see if not using it improves it in a few washes, and go through until maybe you find something that's causing it. It's also possible to develop conditions like SD (seborrheic dermatitis) even if your hair and scalp seemed to be happy all along.

Also, sometimes scalps can seem to like routines, but slowly get worse instead of showing a reaction instantly. I know that my mom started getting lots of red sores on her head when she switched to a sulfate-free shampoo for a while. It took half a year for them to start, I guess because the sulfate-free she was using was ALMOST strong enough to keep it at bay but not quite, and they went away almost immediately when she went back to sulfates. We're still not quite sure what it was because she never saw a dermatologist about it but basically scalps are weird and constantly changing.

Whether it's one of those or something else, I hope you figure it out soon! Scalp problems are the WORST especially if it might be causing you hairfall. :shudder:

I agree with this. When I used sulfate free shampoo for years I started developing dandruff. I was in denial because I really was adamant about using natural product, when I went back to sulphates my scalp got happy again. Now I alternate between the two because my hair likes sulphate free, but my scalp can't doesn't.

calmyogi
February 20th, 2016, 09:46 AM
No pets or young children Anje but thankyou for that suggestion - I have never heard of it before and will look into it. Since joining this forum I have moved onto the no sulphate etc movement when in all honesty my scalp never had an issue with sulfates. This issues have only began to arise since I stopped using them. I think my DIY masks may be contributing to this issue also as I use things such as castor oil, egg, banana and I never repeatedly use a mask. It's a new formulation every time. I am very very good at stretching washes as my hair rarely becomes noticeably oily so I do a week tops between a wash with no water washes inbetween. When I do finally get round to washing my hair I use a mask (whatever new recipe I've found) and then I use a non-sulphate and paraben etc shampoo mixed slightly with the coconut & hibiscus shea moisture shampoo which I love but it is very heavy (thus the dilution). I then use the body shops banana conditioner. I think tonight I will go and purchase myself a very basic own brand or generic brand shampoo & conditioner and switch to that combination for a while to see if there are any improvements. I must say that I have experienced these spots in the past but only one at a time. I have about 5 at the moment not noticeably big but bumps I can feel with my finger pads - since posting however some of these have in-fact cleared up and gone entirely. I will update you on my progress! Thankyou very much for all the suggestions, do not worry about my hair loss as I think it is just picking which could be down to me picking at these spots (bad I know). I am not exactly experiencing hair loss but rather thinning. Thankyou all for your concerns.
Sheamositure does his to me too. Well not patch clusters, but after awhile I get a build up. If you want something that is pretty natural, or at least responsible, that doesn't have lots of additives and is a strong sulphate based cleanser to use and clarify your hair with you could try the Lush shampoo bars. They are strong and will get rid of that build up, but they don't have all the icky additives, just sulphates with other mostly natural responsibly sourced things.

calmyogi
February 20th, 2016, 09:48 AM
Typos........

fixed them.

Darkhorse1
February 20th, 2016, 09:56 AM
People may not realize that natural resources don't necessarily mean gentler on your skin/scalp. I suffer from SD and had to start washing daily again. That is now gone--no more angry , itchy scalp. Sulphates are also not terrible to use---unless you're allergic to them.

I would return to a shampoo and wash with one to see if the condition clears up within 7-14 days. Return to your old method of washing that is. Remember, ringworm is a fungus as is SD--any of these issues lie below the surface of the scalp, which is why medicated shampoos have to sit on the scalp. Also, if itching gets worse, that is usually the healing process. Sucks but it works.

Best of luck to you!

lapushka
February 20th, 2016, 10:34 AM
Also, if itching gets worse, that is usually the healing process. Sucks but it works.

I don't know about that. My itching usually almost always immediately gets better when I use Nizoral.