PDA

View Full Version : Looking for styling advice...

sweetaj
February 17th, 2016, 01:55 PM
With 2B hair, if I don't use any products, my hair is a combination of straight on top and really curly underneath. Plus, since my hair is fine, the ends tend to look poofy or "fly away". I'm looking for a minimal routine that will still give me nice looking hair in my professional work setting. (And I like to wear my hair down.) I don't really care about having curl - the link below is what looks ideal to me. (Hope the link works!)

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/224124518934810391/

I would love to embrace what I have, but it feels like my hair is so high maintenance - in order to look "uniform", I have to pile on the products. I feel like a product junky since I've tried so many different gels/mousses/curl creams...

Can anyone suggest any products/styling methods that might help? I've thought about washing at night, then leaving in a bun overnight to loosen the waves, but I'm not sure of what bun to try at my current length. (I think I'm about 1 - 1 1/2" away from APL.)

copperlites
February 17th, 2016, 03:49 PM
The link does not seem to be working. Your waves look beautiful in your signature picture. I need a lot of product too for my waves to look decent. I make my own flax seed gel which works well.

spirals
February 17th, 2016, 03:54 PM
If you want to make the waves bigger and control their direction somewhat, I suggest foam rollers overnight. You can get used to them and they are more comfy if you take out the plastic bits and put each sponge inside a knee-high stocking. Roll up and tie off like a rag curler. I roll dry and then mist with water. I put a hair net over them. It's 5 minutes of brushing in the morning and you're done. Plus, vintage styles are in and it gives that kind of air to it.

sweetaj
February 17th, 2016, 03:54 PM
The link does not seem to be working. Your waves look beautiful in your signature picture. I need a lot of product too for my waves to look decent. I make my own flax seed gel which works well.

Oh darn, I was hoping that link would work since I can't attach a pic. Thanks for the compliment! I actually just made some FSG last week, and it does work well, but I still need more gel on top of it. How do you straighten your hair (like in your sig pic)?

momschicklets
February 17th, 2016, 08:21 PM
If you want to make the waves bigger and control their direction somewhat, I suggest foam rollers overnight. You can get used to them and they are more comfy if you take out the plastic bits and put each sponge inside a knee-high stocking. Roll up and tie off like a rag curler. I roll dry and then mist with water. I put a hair net over them. It's 5 minutes of brushing in the morning and you're done. Plus, vintage styles are in and it gives that kind of air to it.

This is some really great ideas!! I never thought of removing the plastic parts so they'd be more comfy....brilliant!

spirals
February 17th, 2016, 11:04 PM
This is some really great ideas!! I never thought of removing the plastic parts so they'd be more comfy....brilliant!

Thank you. :) It makes me look like Buckwheat from The Little Rascals when I go to bed--what will my neighbors think if there's a fire?--but I love the curls.

sweetaj
February 18th, 2016, 07:19 AM

That is such a great idea, thanks! I'll look for some foam rollers tomorrow when I'm shopping.

Pol
February 18th, 2016, 03:42 PM
The foam rollers are a great idea! So clever! I've always wondered how people managed to cope with the discomfort! You might also try braiding your hair straight up (I do this upside down as I just can't make it work otherwise!) as an overnight hairstyle that might tame your hair a little - no idea what the results would be on your hair, but on mine it seems pretty straightening (oddly enough).

sweetaj
February 18th, 2016, 03:45 PM
The foam rollers are a great idea! So clever! I've always wondered how people managed to cope with the discomfort! You might also try braiding your hair straight up (I do this upside down as I just can't make it work otherwise!) as an overnight hairstyle that might tame your hair a little - no idea what the results would be on your hair, but on mine it seems pretty straightening (oddly enough).

I'll try braiding upside down tonight - that sounds like it would hold better than the little buns I did last night. Thanks!

Cg
February 18th, 2016, 03:56 PM
I do upside down braid at night too, then I roll the braid and clip on top. Next day nice body waves.

Pol
February 18th, 2016, 04:18 PM
I do upside down braid at night too, then I roll the braid and clip on top. Next day nice body waves.

Ooh, great idea, will try that tonight!

spirals
February 18th, 2016, 08:53 PM
The foam rollers....I've always wondered how people managed to cope with the discomfort!
You just get used to it. Also I place them on front and bottom because I'm a back sleeper. My mom used to sleep on those big plastic rollers!