PDA

View Full Version : Dazed and confused: need advice

mortiziia
October 14th, 2008, 05:03 AM
I've been using TRESemmé Moisture Rich Vitamin E + conditioner for the past six months. At first protein seemed to do a good job, but as my diet changed throughout these months, I noticed that my hair felt somewhat duller, brittle and increasingly difficult to detangle. I read much praise about SMT here, thought some moisture would help, tried it last Sunday (with Aussie 3MM, plain honey, plain aloe gel) but it didn't go well. I probably messed up with the quantities, used the wrong aloe, the wrong conditioner or didn’t apply the concoction properly, but in a word it didn’t work out and I had to wash my hair thoroughly after the disastrous experience. Sulking, grudging and cursing my hair and the above mentioned products, I washed twice with BF’s Elvive antidandruff shampoo, nothing else. When it dried, it was... perfect, smooth, easy to detangle, better than it has been in ages. I was :agape: and I am still. Does this mean I don't need conditioning anymore??? Last time I washed my hair and didn't use conditioner I must have been ten or twelve. I'll have to wash my hair again tomorrow, or the day after at latest, and I simply don't know what to use now!!

Dientje
October 14th, 2008, 05:43 AM
I think the conditioner you used contained too much protein, causing your hair to be crunchy and dry. You did the SMT with Aussie 3MM, is there any protein in there? I looked it up, but there are several Aussie 3MM products, and I don’t know which one you used. This might explain why the SMT didn’t work out the way you had hoped.

I think your BF’s Elvive anti-dandruff shampoo had some sort of clarifying effect, washing the excess protein out, and leaving your hair soft and shiny. But I don’t think you should go conditioner-less, instead I would try to find a good conditioner wihout protein.

Just my :twocents:

aisling
October 14th, 2008, 05:52 AM
It's called clarifying, as simple as that. I don't really agree on the proteins being the sole problem, buildup of cones, oils, moisturizing ingredients can all cause those dry, crunchy ends you described. By washing with this shampoo, you obviously managed to get rid of the buildup that has been bothering you.

Read what Heidi W wrote about the topic here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=237508&postcount=4).

Carolyn
October 14th, 2008, 06:15 AM
Yes, you simply clarified your hair.I'm not sure if your Tresseme has cones but I'm guessing it does. I don't think the Tresseme is a *bad* product but I wouldn't use something for 6 months straight. I'd suggest adding lots of moisturzing products into your hair's "diet" and regularly swapping around your products. Don't toss the Tresseme, but don't use it each wash. Too much protein can cause the symptoms you describe but so can build up. There are some good current threads on clarifying that may be of interest to you.

brok3nwings
October 14th, 2008, 06:18 AM
I agree with all that have been said, you probably did what your hair was needing without even knowing it... but about your question for conditioner i dont think you should leave it..i know there are some people that doesnt use it but if you have been unsing it untill know probably thats because your hair was asking for it. Try to use conditioners without protein and very light. There are a few like this out there... and i would advice without cones.

mortiziia
October 14th, 2008, 07:42 AM
Thanks for the opinions and the link to heidi w.'s post. The Aussie Miracle Moist conditioner (that's the one I used, I think I didn't get the acronym right before) is conefree and has worked extremely well for me in the past; what sort of shampoo would you recommend? I have two Lush shampoo bars that I have never used...

aisling
October 14th, 2008, 08:44 AM
Why don't you test and see what you like? Many of us mix products and methods, I sometimes CO, sometimes C-W-C and I have a couple of different shampoos I use, one milder, one a little harsher. There is not one right way to do things and not one right product that suits us all. I find experimenting and testing new products, especially conditioners, fun :)

justgreen
October 14th, 2008, 09:43 AM
Since you wash several times a week, why not try diluting your shampoo? I've done this successfully for almost three years now. I put about a tablespoon (sometimes a bit more) of shampoo in a bottle, then add about three ounces of water. The bottle has a pointed nozzle on the end of the top and this allows me to put my finger over the tip, shake the shampoo well, and then put the lather right where I want it, down on my scalp. By doing this , I can use just about any shampoo I want to. I'm mostly a a cone-less girl with conditioner though. I can use the cone laden conditioners, I just make sure to clarify every now and then to remove them. It's funny, I can even use diluted clarifying shampoo and it works just as well. No more harsh shampoo for me.

Nature's Gate Original Herbal S/C has been a staple in my bathroom cabinet for three years. The shampoo makes a good cleansing (and mild clarifyer) shampoo, diluted. And I make my smt with the conditioner, the smell is divine. I do not use aloe gel in my SMT.