PDA

View Full Version : Can I grow to classic without updos?

Flossiebell
February 16th, 2016, 03:23 AM
Hi everyone

Sorry if there is already a thread on this, I have been looking for 2 years!

Basically a couple of years ago I read somewhere that it is possible to grow very long, healthy hair by leaving it loose all the time. Problem is I cannot find the article now and I don't remember where on the web I saw it.

This would be ideal for me because updos are not my friend. If I do a braid, I can hear snapping and it pulls even when really loose. Ponytails also pull unless they are that loose it practically falls out. Yesterday I had hair in a high ish pony and was fine all day but when I took it down after 8 hours my head hurt like hell, and was still tender this morning. My wavy hair is only at apl, so I have a long way to go but if I can wear it loose without causing damage that would be ideal.

I know most of you prefer updos to prevent damage to hair but if this isn't possible, could I still reach classic and have beautiful hair rather than a damaged mess? I use lush r&b after washing if that helps.

Any advice you can share would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you x

lapushka
February 16th, 2016, 03:30 AM
If you don't get bothered by your hair at that length, I say: go for it. There's nobody telling you it's a *must* to wear updos or protective styles. You may notice more wear and tear on your hair, but the manipulation from intricate updos is right up there as far as that goes, IMMHO.

You, for sure, could still reach classic length - I am sure of that.

I would be bothered, though, by my hair being in the way constantly, but that's just me.

How long is your hair now?

Nini
February 16th, 2016, 03:30 AM
Maybe, maybe not. It depends on your hair.

Mine is so fine and tangle prone that wearing it lose is not an option if I want to keep it long. Some can, and will wear their hair down all the time though, so maybe you'll get lucky.

Nique1202
February 16th, 2016, 03:48 AM
I think you've got a misconception about updos. Mostly, the "protective" part of an updo is protecting the ends and length as much as possible from all the things that will touch and rub against them and wear down the hair causing damage over time. Ponytails are probably the single worst updos possible for like a half dozen reasons. The most common type of elastic (the ones covered in thread/fabric) causes friction against the hair as you tie it in and remove it which adds up over time when you wear them frequently, ponytails concentrate ALL the weight on one spot on your scalp, they pull the hair much tighter than most buns which makes that pain when you let it go, and they don't protect the ends or the length almost at all because it's still hanging loose to rub on and get caught on everything behind you (bag straps, car headrests, chairs, etc). Buns, held with sticks/forks/flexi-8s/ficcares, are almost always SIGNIFICANTLY more comfortable and protective AND less damaging over time.

Now, for some people, it's POSSIBLE to grow to classic and beyond wearing their hair down all the time. Some people are blessed with incredibly strong hair, resistant to all the daily wear-and-tear that hair gets subjected to, and they can grow to incredible lengths even without being vigilant about it. For most of us, if we want to grow to something like classic without updos, we usually need to do things like use silicones for damage protection and be constantly aware of everything that's touching/rubbing against/compressing our hair, getting it out of the way of everything from seatbelts to (once you hit waist or so, on windy days) car doors closing. Some people with particularly fragile hair (and most of those who use conventional hair dyes and heat styling) will never get to classic this way even if they're super vigilant because the hair just doesn't hold up to being loose every day.

There's no way to know what level of protection your hair will need until you let it grow on and find where the damage starts to add up for you. But, if you're willing to ditch the ponytail and give good updos a try, I'd highly recommend trying the disc bun (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iViNkltTb9Y) as it's one of the first one-stick buns most people can do without it being painfully tight. You might also find that styles like the gibson tuck (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmZR-PlJ_AU) are helpful (you can also do it without the front section twists in that video if you prefer).

restless
February 16th, 2016, 03:50 AM
I know most of you prefer updos to prevent damage to hair but if this isn't possible, could I still reach classic and have beautiful hair rather than a damaged mess?

Theres only one way to find out ;)

lapushka
February 16th, 2016, 03:51 AM
Yes it would be nice to know a little more about your hair, hairtype, thickness, if it's generally good with wearing it down, etc. ... this so we won't have to guess.

Flossiebell
February 16th, 2016, 04:19 AM
I'm a bit unsure about my hair type. I have been told by a hairdresser that I have fine hair and lots of it. I have got some thicker strands of hair, but I don't think it's particularly strong. It is apl and was last dyed with a quasi (? somewhere between permanent and semi?) in December. Letting dye grow out now. It is more wavy that curly. I don't think I can put a pic up, and I washed it this morning, put leave in in it and combed and have finger combed throughout the morning so that wouldn't be an accurate typing would it?

Oh and if I wear it down without combing it, it stays 'down'. If I comb it when it's dry it starts to do the pyramid thing unless it's after wash day.

Hope that makes sense....sorry for war and peace

lapushka
February 16th, 2016, 05:02 AM
I'm a bit unsure about my hair type. I have been told by a hairdresser that I have fine hair and lots of it. I have got some thicker strands of hair, but I don't think it's particularly strong. It is apl and was last dyed with a quasi (? somewhere between permanent and semi?) in December. Letting dye grow out now. It is more wavy that curly. I don't think I can put a pic up, and I washed it this morning, put leave in in it and combed and have finger combed throughout the morning so that wouldn't be an accurate typing would it?

Oh and if I wear it down without combing it, it stays 'down'. If I comb it when it's dry it starts to do the pyramid thing unless it's after wash day.

Hope that makes sense....sorry for war and peace

You could easily measure your ponytail circumference by making a ponytail and measuring around the pony (don't include the elastic band, it's a given, but to some it wasn't clear in the past). F texture is pretty hard to keep wearing out. But you're APL now and have quite a bit to go. At APL it isn't so hard to wear out, but just wait until it gets past BSL. Who knows you might want updos in the future, and that's quite OK too. If your hair is iii, no wonder you want to keep wearing it out. I had to wait to waist/hip before I could bun it!

bunneh.
February 16th, 2016, 05:06 AM
Yes, but it depends on your hair. My hair is resilient, I was treating it insanely badly (sulfate based shampoo, no conditioner, no updos, harsh brushing with a cheap plastic brush) for decades and it grew to TBL with no problems. I am sure I could get to classic easily with that poor routine but not everyone might be able to. Some people's hair is really fragile, fine and breaks easily so they have to treat it a lot nicer to be able to grow it long and strong, but it shouldn't hurt to try, just be gentle when brushing/combing it and oil it lots.

mermaiden_hair
February 16th, 2016, 05:35 AM
First things first, are you using a silk/satin scrunchie? I have one and it is super nice on my hair. I brought a nice big black one from Amazon. I hate putting my hair up when I was a child because my mom made me use those metallic ones or the regular hair bands that just ends up tearing my hair apart and caused a sore head at the end of the day. You need something softer to hold your hair to an up-do or a braid, and this is where a silk scrunchie comes in. I'm sure there are tiny ones for more elaborate hair styles.

embee
February 16th, 2016, 06:06 AM
I could not grow past BSL. There was too much damage from chair backs and clothing and ... just everything. But my hair is fragile. Your hair may not be. Give it a try!

Anje
February 16th, 2016, 06:25 AM
Possibly. EdG had his longer than that without doing updos. He's also started doing them recently after never wearing them, and says his hair is getting longer and thicker in the lengths now. Or your hair might be less resilient than his and not get that far.

Don't confuse updos with ponytails. Ponytails give almost everyone headaches past a certain length! They're uncomfortable, don't protect the ends, cause breakage at the base.... If they hurt, don't do them! But that doesn't mean a bun held well with an appropriate tool (sticks, fork, long stiff U-shaped pins, maybe a Ficcare, definitely NOT an elastic or bobby pins) can't be comfortable.

Belle Paix
February 16th, 2016, 06:49 AM
I didn't find true updo comfort until I tried a Ficcare. No pulling, no discomfort, and they hold like a rock for me. I am NOT. A fan of ponytails myself. It's all about experimentation.

maborosi
February 16th, 2016, 06:54 AM
I'm pas hip, and I don't think I would have been able to get here without doing updos.
I have a TON of hair, but it's F/M.

The best way, in my experience for my hair, is if I'm not wanting to do a protective updo, to make sure I'm doing regular protein and moisture treatments, use a good oil, and cones. Lots of light cones for me when I want to wear it in a style that's not protective.

Hope that helps. I also second the silk scrunchie idea! They're so much more comfortable than elastics.

EdG
February 16th, 2016, 06:59 AM
Possibly. EdG had his longer than that without doing updos. He's also started doing them recently after never wearing them, and says his hair is getting longer and thicker in the lengths now. Or your hair might be less resilient than his and not get that far.I now know better. :lol:

Flossiebell - I don't recommend wearing hair loose because it collects lint and forms tangles. The LHC wisdom about the need for updos is absolutely right. Since I started wearing my hair up, it has become much less tangled.
Ed

RavennaNight
February 16th, 2016, 07:34 AM
As everyone has already said, it depends on your hair type and how resilient it is. Ponytails are awful. If you tie them too tight not only can they hurt, they can lead to traction alopecia around your forehead. I'd try buns with hair sticks or ficcares or a flexi-8. Those also depend on your hair and the sweet spot on your scalp where the updo doesn't pull or hurt.

That said, I love wearing my hair down and I'm at tailbone. It depends what your hair tolerates, I know mine functions well with a coney serum, like the Biosilk drops. :inlove: The whole point is to prevent tangles and mechanical damage, and everyone does that differently.

Flossiebell
February 16th, 2016, 07:49 AM
Yes I use satin scrunchies and invisibobbles. As a rule invisibobbles hurt less.

Flossiebell
February 16th, 2016, 07:56 AM
Ok, I have tried buns with claw clips, they don't seem too bad. Hair sticks hurt, I have a toy that is 2 combs that you lock together (sorry don't know what it's called other than bought from African butterfly) that is evil, snaps my hair just trying to get combs in. Will go for the serum / oil route and try and baby as much as poss until I can figure out a way to protect ends without the downside.

Thanks for your help everyone xx

chen bao jun
February 16th, 2016, 08:50 AM
I'd venture to say most people can't grow hair to classic without putting it up. If you do have fine hair (there is information around somewhere that tells you, you compare it to a sewing thread, I think?) and also just dyed your hair in December, I don't think you are a good candidate. Though I could be wrong, of course. Have you ever had long hair before? People who had long hair (like, waist length or longer) without knowing any LHC tricks and with always wearing their hair down, are people with stronger hair. Because most of us can get to APL without much protection, and a lot of us can get to BSL--but then the chairbacks, the rough fabric on coats (and sometimes shirts), handbag straps, combined with the hair being older by that point get us. Of course, some people have hair so fine and delicate that they can't even get to shoulder without it starting to rub off, but clearly you are not one of those at APL.

Your scalp may hurt in updoes because you are not used to them.

Even with thick hair, there are updoes you can do at APL such as french twists, peacock twists and so forth, and you don't need a fancy expensive hair toy, just a smooth, strong claw clip. Goody makes excellent strong claw clips, one of our floor length members uses them for all HER hair.

Especially since you have dyed your hair recently, you might benefit from protein treatments on your ends to make them stronger.

If you really can't manage the updoes, definitely do the satin pillow case or sleep cap thing; be very careful what brush you are using (if you brush) or comb (if you comb), smooth satin or silk scarves when you wear a coat should be what touches your hair and you will have to figure out for yourself if your hair likes/needs trimming. Many can get away with no trimming and thus get to classic faster, but there are some (and they tend to have fine hair) who need regular dustings, trims to go. If you do have to trim, I would suggest learning to do it yourself. Many MANY people have their goals for long hair stymied for years by going to hairdressers for trims who cut off off 2 inches or more every 3 months as a 'trim' when the person only grows about 2 inches every 3 or 4 months.

and, not to be a downer, not everybody can grow to classic, not even with the best care. However, you never know until you try and lots and lots of people on LHC who thought they never could have gotten there with time, patience, care and this supportive community.

Anje
February 16th, 2016, 09:05 AM
Ok, I have tried buns with claw clips, they don't seem too bad. Hair sticks hurt, I have a toy that is 2 combs that you lock together (sorry don't know what it's called other than bought from African butterfly) that is evil, snaps my hair just trying to get combs in. Will go for the serum / oil route and try and baby as much as poss until I can figure out a way to protect ends without the downside.

Claw clips work for some folks. I've never personally had luck with them being comfortable for long -- they tend to pull! Less than ponytails, but they're still seriously uncomfortable after a few hours.

Your hair might be a bit short for hairsticks, and they absolutely have a learning curve to be comfortable. Thicker-haired folks swear by the Disc Bun, and it's good when your hair is short-ish. I personally swear by Lazy Wrap Buns as the optimal way to learn to use a hairstick comfortably, but they require more length. Watch a few how-to videos, and if something doesn't work, try it again in 6 months when your hair has gained a few inches.

lapushka
February 16th, 2016, 09:34 AM

I can't use those African butterfly combs either, they just *flop* right out of my hair. I'm a iii thickness.

You might be able to manage a peacock twist at this length, with a simple claw clip.

pailin
February 16th, 2016, 09:45 AM
Between shoulder and BSL, I have always loved claw clips. Just a simple twist - I think it's what people call a peacock twist. Past BSL I'm finding them not so comfortable any more and I'm loving sticks. Anyway, if you can wear them comfortably, go for the claw clips and enjoy them. Or just continue to wear your hair down and see how it goes. You should enjoy your hair, so if that means wearing it down, then wear it down.

irodaryne
February 16th, 2016, 09:50 AM
I would say that it's possible to grow to classic without updos. On of my friends when I was in high school had hair at about TBL (she kept it trimmed at that length with a beautiful, full hemline, so I know it could have grown a ways longer) who would always wear her hair loose or in a braid, sometimes a ponytail, but that was rare.

However, if your hair is fine, thin, or easily damaged you may not be able to make it to classic without some protective styling (for example, braids are a good style that aren't technically an "up"do and they're very gentle on the scalp. They aren't as protective as bunning it and the tips and outside hairs in the braid are still exposed to damage, but it keeps everything more contained. You're less likely to get it stuck under a bag strap)

TR
February 16th, 2016, 10:59 AM
Are there any braid styles that are comfortable for you? To add enough length to comfortably use hair sticks for an updo, consider using a paranda in a braid as the base of a braided bun. The paranda has the added benefit of not placing a hair tie at the end of the braid, so it can be very protective as well as adding the length needed to use more scalp-friendly holding mechanisms.

SteelRose
February 16th, 2016, 11:12 AM
Honestly, I wore my hair down pretty regularly until TBL/Classic. I didn't even learn how to make a bun that would stay up until about waist. I have very resilient hair though. I mostly started wearing more and more updos around that length because I had 2 small children and a newborn. It is way easier to just put the hair up and go at that point! Now I really can't imagine wearing it down other than to dry.

chen bao jun
February 16th, 2016, 11:27 AM
I can't use those African butterfly combs either, they just *flop* right out of my hair. I'm a iii thickness.

You might be able to manage a peacock twist at this length, with a simple claw clip.

This. Extra characters

Flossiebell
February 16th, 2016, 11:51 AM
I have never had 'long' hair. I managed to get to nearly waist a couple years ago but had to cut 12 inches off due to henna damage. That's the longest it's ever been because my other half doesn't want me to look like a fairy Queen and my family keep saying I should cut it and it was always kept short (pixie) when I was a kid. I hope I can get to classic and keep it in good condition at the same time. Fingers crossed 😃

Elbereth
February 16th, 2016, 11:52 AM
Nothing is impossible...but the odds are against it. In any case, if you learn to do updos, your hair will be in better condition when you reach classic. While you can protect your hair in many ways, wearing hair up is one of best ways to protect it from mechanical damage (rubbing, tearing, tangling), and there are no really good substitutes for it.

I agree that it sounds like you are not really all that familiar with updos yet, and it also sounds like you don't own proper tools for making updos that don't hurt. As others have said, a ponytail isn't an updo at all. Updo is a bun or twist that hides your ends and keeps the hair secure so that it doesn't move around, get caught in things and rub against clothing and other things. An updo should never hurt. If it does, it is too tight or the hair is not distributed well. There are, of course, folks with very sensitive scalp, but from the information you have given, it is impossible to say that you are one of them.
So I suggest that before deciding to go try an updo free route, you familiarize yourself with some basic updo styles and try out some nice hairtoys. So it would be an informed decision. Yes, good hairtoys cost a bit, but if they really won't work for you, you can always sell them on the swap board.
I suggest you try out at least a Ficcare Maximas clip, a pair of good quality hairsticks like Eads or Ketylos and maybe a Flexi-8. Take some time to play with a bun tutorial and learn a couple of basic bun styles.

andrea1982
February 16th, 2016, 11:55 AM
I think it is possible for certain people with very resilient hair types. Do what makes you happy with your hair. If you don't enjoy the look of or wearing updos, you're not going to enjoy your hair and you are probably going to want to cut it with frustration. If you don't wear updos because you find them awkward, than maybe you just need more practice. Can you do a french braid? When my hair was shorter I used to wear a tucked french braid a lot. It doesn't pull, it's comfortable, and looks good with slightly oily hair. Wearing hair down all the time leads to more mechanical damage, but for me it also causes my roots to get oily faster, and ends to dry out sooner after a wash. My hair only really looks good down for a couple days after wash day. Wearing hair down all the time for me would mean more washing, which= more damage.

maborosi
February 16th, 2016, 12:03 PM

I find buns with claw clips work well for my hair, too. I just try to make sure they're smooth.

I think for some folks using multiple clips is a bit more comfortable because it must distribute the weight better?

hairandtherian
February 16th, 2016, 01:05 PM
I find buns with claw clips work well for my hair, too. I just try to make sure they're smooth.

I think for some folks using multiple clips is a bit more comfortable because it must distribute the weight better?

That's my contribution, too. My scalp is sensitive to pulling and using several small claw clips works best for me while I work on making other styles comfortable or secure. I have some high-quality and some low-quality ones, both by Goody and about one inch across. The good ones are a thicker, smoother plastic with more rounded claws and they are a LOT more comfortable than the the cheap, more brittle and sharper ones (but which are handy for clipping in the shower).

I also do braids a lot. A single braid can be moved out of the way of pack straps pretty easily, or since it's winter I wrap it over the top of my head and put on a hat.

lapis_lazuli
February 16th, 2016, 01:28 PM
I grew to classic without wearing it up. :shrug: From BSL onward, I always wore it in a braid (but it sounds like that's not an option for you). I'm only now just starting to wear it up to achieve greater lengths :)

Flossiebell
February 16th, 2016, 03:36 PM
I have tried a cinnabun but that usually hurts, I cannot French braid to save my life. Any sort of braid my hair just sticks together but not at the ends so when I try and braid even gently it will break unless I do it very very loosely at the bottom. I need to find something to do with my hair so maybe a few toys would be an idea, or something to stop hair sticking when I braid but not make it so slippy that it just falls out. I probably do need to practice, I'm just worried that I'm causing more breakage/damage in the process.

chen bao jun
February 16th, 2016, 03:44 PM
I have never had 'long' hair. I managed to get to nearly waist a couple years ago but had to cut 12 inches off due to henna damage. That's the longest it's ever been because my other half doesn't want me to look like a fairy Queen and my family keep saying I should cut it and it was always kept short (pixie) when I was a kid. I hope I can get to classic and keep it in good condition at the same time. Fingers crossed 😃

Sounds like you can quite possibly get to classic, definitely with updoes. It was henna damage and not wear damage and anyway a non-supportive family sounds like more of the reason.

All this advice must be overwhelming, stick around and things will get clearer to you. Good luck. :)

AJNinami
February 16th, 2016, 04:00 PM
I have tried a cinnabun but that usually hurts, I cannot French braid to save my life. Any sort of braid my hair just sticks together but not at the ends so when I try and braid even gently it will break unless I do it very very loosely at the bottom. I need to find something to do with my hair so maybe a few toys would be an idea, or something to stop hair sticking when I braid but not make it so slippy that it just falls out. I probably do need to practice, I'm just worried that I'm causing more breakage/damage in the process.

My hair used to do this, in fact it's still does (just not as bad as it did). Your hair is probably damaged, causing it to stick together like that. I can't manage to braid well with my bleached hair until it gets oily (my virgin hair is much easier). I absolutely love French and Dutch braids though, they are very comfortable (if you can get them right).

Here are some great braiding tutorials by torrinpaige:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YC_unKDz_JA

Nique1202
February 16th, 2016, 04:00 PM

Think of it this way: practice now, even if it's a little damaging, will save you from way more damage in the end, especially if you get past a certain length and find that your hair is less charming and more of a kraken waiting to disrupt your every action. :laugh:

Grab a cute pencil, use it or cut it down (and sharpen it up a bit) until it's about the length of your hand, coat the sharpened end with clear or coloured nail polish to smooth out any splinters, and you've got a perfect starter stick for nearly every bun (even if you can't do them all just yet). If a particular bun doesn't work, then try a different one and come back to the one that was giving you problems in a few months when you've got a little more length to work with.

Anyone who hasn't had long hair their whole lives has been in the position you're in now. We're all here to share in the frustrations and the accomplishments. :blossom:

Frankenstein
February 16th, 2016, 04:25 PM
I was able to grow my fine hair to classic and only wore it down or in a ponytail, albeit with fairytaled ends. I wouldn't necessarily recommend it but it's definitely possible.

SteelRose
February 16th, 2016, 06:17 PM
My hair used to do this, in fact it's still does (just not as bad as it did). Your hair is probably damaged, causing it to stick together like that. I can't manage to braid well with my bleached hair until it gets oily (my virgin hair is much easier). I absolutely love French and Dutch braids though, they are very comfortable (if you can get them right).

Here are some great braiding tutorials by torrinpaige:

Torrin Paige's videos are the only thing that got me to French braid. I never could figure it out until then. She's great!

pailin
February 16th, 2016, 07:30 PM
Seconding Torrin Paige's videos on French braiding. That's how I finally figured it out for the first time 2 months ago.

Dessi
February 16th, 2016, 09:10 PM
I was able to grow my hair to Hip length while always wearing it down. It was in a very bad condition though, and my hair is neither fine nor thin. Classic length means that your ends will have been there for 5 years (or more). 5 years of wearing them down will surely damage them. Ladies here gave you some great ideas for hairstyles, so go for it! You'll get used to them, I'm sure. I don't think Classic length can be achieved otherwise (and still be healthy).

Flossiebell
February 17th, 2016, 11:12 AM
I honestly didn't expect to get so much help and information. Thank you so much x

Elbereth
February 17th, 2016, 12:04 PM
I learned to French braid by starting doing French braids for night braids. That way, I had to practice every evening, but the looks of the end result didn't matter so much. And sure enough, after a while I was able to produce decent French AND Dutch braids!
It's really all about practice- no one is born with great styling skills!

llamacat
February 18th, 2016, 07:39 AM
I've grown to tailbone without any updos in college. I was terribly lazy then, so I always wear my hair down. Even in winter I rub my hair against my coat and everything. My ends always split into three or four strands... But, my hair stayed at tailbone length for two years without growing any longer.
Now I gradually learn the ways to put my hair up and I'm already seeing improvements in my poor hair. So possibly I can reach classic this time?

I've a mixture of fine & medium hair. And my hair is always in good condition when it's above the BSL.

Chocowalnut
February 18th, 2016, 08:50 AM
Possibly. EdG had his longer than that without doing updos. He's also started doing them recently after never wearing them, and says his hair is getting longer and thicker in the lengths now. Or your hair might be less resilient than his and not get that far.

Don't confuse updos with ponytails. Ponytails give almost everyone headaches past a certain length! They're uncomfortable, don't protect the ends, cause breakage at the base.... If they hurt, don't do them! But that doesn't mean a bun held well with an appropriate tool (sticks, fork, long stiff U-shaped pins, maybe a Ficcare, definitely NOT an elastic or bobby pins) can't be comfortable.

Are bobby pins bad for your hair? I always thought an updo with them was good.

Entangled
February 18th, 2016, 09:22 AM

Bobby pins are meant for holding small sections of hair. They're good in complicated updos, or for holding loops, but they're really not the best for updos. If you're using them to hold your ends in, for example, you're applying pressure and stress applying the pin on fragile hair. They're not a no-no, but they're not the best tool for updos. There are so many different ways to hold an updo without bobby pins.

Anje
February 18th, 2016, 09:51 AM

They can be OK, but they love to pull hairs out, and they're crap for holding buns. Maybe if you're doing a style with lots of little sections, sure, but not if you actually want to support a big wad of hair. They mostly make it pull in all kinds of little places, if you ask me. Get some beefy U-shaped pins (the Amish ones seem best, as they're downright rigid) and use them like mini-hairforks instead. They hold buns infinitely better.

pailin
February 18th, 2016, 10:09 AM
I think I remember reading somewhere recently (by way of a link on the forum of course :) ) that bobby pins were invented for short hair when the bob became popular in the 1920's. They were never intended for hair long enough for updos.
Personally I hate them because as Anje said, I simply cannot remove them without ripping out hair.

lauren_alia
February 18th, 2016, 03:28 PM
I think I remember reading somewhere recently (by way of a link on the forum of course :) ) that bobby pins were invented for short hair when the bob became popular in the 1920's. They were never intended for hair long enough for updos.
Personally I hate them because as Anje said, I simply cannot remove them without ripping out hair.

I always used to pull hair out with them too, but I figured out how to take them out without doing that. I put my first finger and middle finger of my left hand on either side of the back end of the bobby pin (end with the loop) and make sure to firmly hold all the hair in place while I slowly take the pin out with my other hand. After I've slid it out about halfway I try to hold the pin open a little bit by sticking a fingernail between the tines too. Hope I explained that okay. This prevents ripping out hair for me, so maybe it will help someone else too. I do agree there's better ways of holding up most buns, but bobby pins have their uses. :)