PDA

View Full Version : Big computers, big hair (photos)

EdG
February 15th, 2016, 09:41 AM
I saw this photo gallery and thought LHC'ers would like it.

Big computers, big hair: the women of Bell Labs in the 1960s in pictures (http://www.theguardian.com/technology/gallery/2016/feb/13/future-women-the-bell-lab-computer-operators-of-the-1960s-in-pictures-women-in-computing)
(http://www.theguardian.com/technology/gallery/2016/feb/13/future-women-the-bell-lab-computer-operators-of-the-1960s-in-pictures-women-in-computing)(from theguardian)

I dig those groovy 1960s hair and clothing styles, not to mention the old computers that filled a room. :)
Ed

Kimberly
February 15th, 2016, 01:26 PM
Wow, those are some groovy pics, all right. My mom was a computer card keypunch operator in the 60s, and while I don't remember her hair before she grew the 1a hippy pigtails, I've seen photos of her with big hair like this and I remember playing with her old rollers and hair drying bonnet. Sometimes I think I would like to have an excuse to sit in a salon under a dryer (which I only did a few times as a kid). No one would bug you, because you couldn't hear, so you'd just sit there with all of the luxurious fancy magazines and be at peace for a while, with interesting dramas and transformations going on all around to watch. Then, once your set was done and the rollers were out and the whole thing was teased and sprayed, you were supposed to spend the week protecting it and sleeping with it wrapped up and etc. to preserve the style until the next appointment -- my grandma and aunts did that. Those sure were different times.

LongCurlyTress
February 15th, 2016, 01:45 PM
I saw this photo gallery and thought LHC'ers would like it.

Big computers, big hair: the women of Bell Labs in the 1960s in pictures (http://www.theguardian.com/technology/gallery/2016/feb/13/future-women-the-bell-lab-computer-operators-of-the-1960s-in-pictures-women-in-computing)
(http://www.theguardian.com/technology/gallery/2016/feb/13/future-women-the-bell-lab-computer-operators-of-the-1960s-in-pictures-women-in-computing)(from theguardian)

I dig those groovy 1960s hair and clothing styles, not to mention the old computers that filled a room. :)
Ed

What a riot! I am so glad those big bouffant hairstyles are not in vogue now! Thanks for posting! Too funny!

yahirwaO.o
February 15th, 2016, 02:14 PM
Thanks for sharing EdG. I really love 60's in general, even that high tech sense that was going on! And of course I ldig bouffants and that awesome clothing of these women!!!!

EdG
February 15th, 2016, 04:42 PM
One of my oldest memories is that my mom used to make her own dresses with flower patterns similar to those in the photos. Those styles were really bright and happy.

I have also seen computer installations similar to that one, but maybe a few years later.
Ed

Christine_O
February 15th, 2016, 05:28 PM
My mom used to try to wear her hair this way, but couldn't get it to stay, no matter how much spray she used. I was tail end of the hippy generation, so I got to wear mine long and loose...parting in the middle really wasn't a good look for me though. shudder:

AZDesertRose
February 15th, 2016, 05:52 PM
My mother graduated from high school in 1966, and one of her high school classmates had a beehive hairdo that was so tall it went out of frame in the yearbook photo. Most of the girls in Mom's yearbooks are wearing bubble-flips or something along those lines, but there's that one girl with the massive beehive that always cracked me up.

spidermom
February 15th, 2016, 06:40 PM
I could smell the hairspray from here!

EdG
February 15th, 2016, 06:59 PM
I think I was most influenced by the long, natural hair styles of the early 1970s. That was a hair renaissance (like LHC is today). ;)
Ed

Bill D.
February 16th, 2016, 07:50 PM
I think I was most influenced by the long, natural hair styles of the early 1970s. That was a hair renaissance (like LHC is today). ;)
Ed

[Old Person Mode On High Setting] Those were the days! Back in high school (early/mid 70s for me) the girls in my school overwhelming had fairly natural and relatively long hair -- not dyed, not permed, not styled in fancy ways, just at the time I was finally allowed to start growing my own hair out. Most had hair at least to their shoulders, some had BSL or longer hair, and one had tailbone-length hair. I loved it and couldn't comprehend at the time that this would ever change. It was quite a contrast to the mid-1960s bouffant styles in my school's first senior class photo, the Farrah Fawcett style that swept the nation right after I graduated, or the very artificial styles of Disco, Punk, New Wave, and the 1980s in general. There was a short period there between psychedelic 1960s artificiality and the later highly artificial styles that I really liked. Sigh... ;)

Bill D.

EdG
February 16th, 2016, 08:37 PM
[Old Person Mode On High Setting] Those were the days! Back in high school (early/mid 70s for me) the girls in my school overwhelming had fairly natural and relatively long hair -- not dyed, not permed, not styled in fancy ways, just at the time I was finally allowed to start growing my own hair out. Most had hair at least to their shoulders, some had BSL or longer hair, and one had tailbone-length hair. I loved it and couldn't comprehend at the time that this would ever change. It was quite a contrast to the mid-1960s bouffant styles in my school's first senior class photo, the Farrah Fawcett style that swept the nation right after I graduated, or the very artificial styles of Disco, Punk, New Wave, and the 1980s in general. There was a short period there between psychedelic 1960s artificiality and the later highly artificial styles that I really liked. Sigh... ;)

Bill D.I felt the same way about the girls in my elementary school. ;)

The long, natural hair styles are very apparent on the record albums from the early 1970s. From my record collection (mostly bought used many years later ;) ), I can see the change in hair styles from the late 1960s to the early 1980s. The early 1970s lady musicians had the nicest hair. :rockerdud
Ed