PDA

View Full Version : is my hair in need of some thing??? I can't figure it out

mamaherrera
February 12th, 2016, 03:16 PM
My hair is not it's usual self. I cut four inches off, and took away all layers, hoping it would bring back curl and give volume. but now it's so lame, no curl less volume, and just not having it's natural shine. Does it need protein, moisture, etc?? Any suggestions as to why the change?/ Thanks
The first pics are from before.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=12006&attachmentid=14046
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=12006&attachmentid=20278
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=12006&attachmentid=19133
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=12006&attachmentid=21518

And now. . .
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=12006&attachmentid=21517
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=12006&attachmentid=21516
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=12006&attachmentid=21515

chen bao jun
February 12th, 2016, 03:20 PM
mamaherrera, you are a lovely woman and your hair is beautiful both in before and after, it is a shame that you are never able to believe this. Doesn't look as if it needs a thing.

Anje
February 12th, 2016, 03:22 PM
Does it feel weird? Something strange about it when it's wet, perhaps? Pictures don't explain these things very well -- it's all about texture in terms of smoothness, stretchiness, things like that. It looks lovely and full. And curl changes day to day and season to season, as well as with length. (You probably know this better than I do, as a non-curly!)

CoveredByLove
February 12th, 2016, 03:26 PM
OMG...your hair beautiful! I *see* absolutely nothing wrong with it! Like others have said, go by how it feels. My hair has moods too. :flowers:

Sarahlabyrinth
February 12th, 2016, 03:31 PM
I have no suggestions as to what it might need but just want to say that your hair looks very pretty to me. I don't know if you want to try a clarifying wash, or a protein or moisture treatment. It's worth a try IF you think your hair needs something different, maybe a leave-in or a bit of oil. There are plenty of things you could try. IMHO you worry much more about your hair than you need to.

It does look lovely and full, as Anje said.

MeAndTheMaz
February 12th, 2016, 03:46 PM
Oh, good. It's not just me then. I saw the pictures and couldn't come up with anything more than "I don't see anything wrong here. It looks wonderful.

Like Sarahlabyrinth suggests, maybe clarify, and see what happens from there.

mamaherrera
February 12th, 2016, 03:46 PM
thanks, it feels lighter and it's just got less bounce to it, like it's in clumps, but they don't curl up they're just straggly clumps if you know what I mean. HOpefully it' s just the weather. And thanks again

lapushka
February 12th, 2016, 03:57 PM
It would be nice to find out what your current routine is. But as others have said, I see nothing whatsoever wrong with the pictures. And as Sarah already pointed out, you worry far too much. :flower:

mamaherrera
February 12th, 2016, 06:40 PM
I am using pantene volume shampoo(new for me as I was using sulfate free) or Biotin/collagen shampoo or Organic's mango shampoo. THen I always have used TresSemme Wavy conditioner (not the actual name) and that's it. I do a amla tea rinse "before shampooing"

spidermom
February 12th, 2016, 08:49 PM
I don't see a lot of difference to tell you the truth. Some of the "before" photos are blurry, so maybe that's why. Hair changes for whatever reason or no reason whatsoever in my experience. I have pictures from the past where I had very definite spiral curls scattered through my hair which also had straight areas and wavy areas. Now I only have straight and wavy areas, although single hairs sometimes have a spiral curl to them. I don't know what happened, but whatever.

truepeacenik
February 12th, 2016, 10:44 PM
Honestly, all I saw was a mom who needs the kids to nap, or sleep over at a friend's house so she can nap.

Mimha
February 13th, 2016, 05:30 AM
Honestly, all I saw was a mom who needs the kids to nap, or sleep over at a friend's house so she can nap.

Yes, mammaherrera : I have the same feeling. You look tired on those pics, and in bad need of a good rest. Maybe your hair feels exhausted too ?...

I went through some years of severe exhaustion and this had a real impact on my hair, you know : it thinned out and became dull and brittle looking. No more shine, no more bounciness. I had a medical check up and it turned out I was suffering from many deficiencies (among which anaemia) due to several years of hardship in my life. So I think that if you feel bad about your hair, you are right to pay attention about it : hair gives us warnings about our health and about our life, and how we treat ourselves.

Hope you'll soon find a way to feel better about your hair ! :flower: :grouphug:

By the way : I think you have very beautiful hair ! Your curls are so gorgeous.

Ve
February 13th, 2016, 08:57 AM
My question is are you in a cold climate and being indoors this late in the season the air can be drying? It looks like your hair wants moisture, does it have good curl formation when it is wet? Pantene can be a drying shampoo for curly hair, I had to stop using it but you could dilute yours.

First clarify,

I have done lemon juice rinses after I shampoo leave on for 5 min and rinse off then conditioner, it has stopped the frizz on top and brought back shine because it closes the cuticle.

I would also try the ROO method to get some moisture in the hair. It helps stop my poofy top and adds shine

If you are using the OGX Biotin/Collagen shampoo, it has a lot of protein in it so after it is important to get lots of moisture in your hair. Do a strand test and if it snaps without much stretch =too much protein so moisturize lots.

Mineral Oil is supposed to hold in moisture might be worth a try, I still haven't gotten any.

I am in a very hot climate and moisture is just evaporating from my hair so after I shampoo I put a small palmful of EVOO on my hair and then I put my conditioner with 50% EVOO wait 5 min and rinse and it lasts for the day but I have to wet my hair everyday because it is so thirsty.

There are a few ideas, I know we get on the LHC and realize our hair can be perfect and don't like when it is misbehaving

chen bao jun
February 13th, 2016, 09:25 AM
Just posting in again to repeat that your hair doesn't look like it needs a single thing to me.
the only difference I saw in the photos was that it was a bit shorter.
It's just beautiful.
and so are you, tired or not. Maybe better than doing some complicated new thing with your hair, get some sleep as best you can (hard with young kids, I know, though I do miss those days now).
Things often look better in the morning.
I think I remember that you have someone in your life who is critical of you in general and critical of your hair. (forgive me if I am wrong) If so, please remember that some people get critical, even highly critical when something is bothering them about themselves and go after YOU, doesn't mean anything is wrong with you at all and though its hard, it is best to dismiss anything the person says, no matter how close they are, once you realize they are like that. Best to just screen out the noise, as best you can and build yourself up by reminding yourself of YOU like about you, in spite of them. they are often just perfectionists who don't even mean to hurt you, don't realize they are doing it, sometimes it is more calculated than that (some put others down, even people they love, to make themselves feel better), but in a lot of these cases, train yourself to ignore. (Especially if, as often there is a lot else good about the person).

there's clearly a lot to like about you, pretty lady, good mama.

iYaap
February 13th, 2016, 09:33 AM
Nope needs nothing, just patience. :)

mamaherrera
February 13th, 2016, 11:29 PM
I appreciate all the recs and care for my wellbeing and positives. I am going to go back to my old shampoo for a good while and see if that helps. But do I need to clarify if I've been using pantene volume shampoo??? I might just try my old shampoo first and then try a lemon rinse, cuz I want my old volume back and lemon rinses don't encourage volume if I remember right

lauren_alia
February 13th, 2016, 11:54 PM
I appreciate all the recs and care for my wellbeing and positives. I am going to go back to my old shampoo for a good while and see if that helps. But do I need to clarify if I've been using pantene volume shampoo??? I might just try my old shampoo first and then try a lemon rinse, cuz I want my old volume back and lemon rinses don't encourage volume if I remember right
I would clarify if your hair is feeling off, it can't hurt. Just be sure to follow up with an SMT or whatever moisturizing treatment you like. I don't know about the Pantene volume one specifically, but I know certain other Pantene shampoos built up on my hair and scalp faster than other shampoos. Hope you're feeling better about it soon. :flower:

mamaherrera
February 14th, 2016, 01:25 AM
Thanks Lauren, you are always so sweet. I will clarify!

lapushka
February 14th, 2016, 03:47 AM

Clarify? Not really, or not that much in any case. I use Pantene Aqua Light, or the Pantene volumizing (once my stash runs out), but every 2 months, or so... I throw the Pantene clarifying shampoo at it (transparent bottle, navy cap). I could do without it, as those 2 Pantene ones are pretty good at removing "stuff" from your hair.

Are you conditioning enough?