PDA

View Full Version : Hair Thickness Chart?

M.McDonough
February 11th, 2016, 12:19 PM
I was wondering how that work. I've seen things like ''iii'' ''ii'', but I'm not sure...so?

Here's a freshly taken photo. Can you tell which category my hair falls under?

http://i.imgur.com/42N1vuG.jpg?1

AJNinami
February 11th, 2016, 12:31 PM
This thread should help you out. http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=116252

I'd say you're between 2c and 3b, but it's up to you where you'd like to classify.

You have very beautiful curls, might I add. :D

M.McDonough
February 11th, 2016, 12:56 PM
This thread should help you out. http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=116252

I'd say you're between 2c and 3b, but it's up to you where you'd like to classify.

You have very beautiful curls, might I add. :D

Thanks :). But it's up to me? To be honest all the photos in the link look alike to me haha

gthlvrmx
February 11th, 2016, 01:06 PM
You're in the 3's somewhere for curliness. As for thickness/thinness, you can use measuring tape to measure your hair. If you make a ponytail with a hair tie you can try that. Just make sure you measure the hair and not the hair tie included with the measurement. Or if you want, get some string instead of a hairtie and wrap that around your ponytail. Mark with your finger where the string meets itself in a full circle around your ponytail and then keep your finger there on the string until you measure it out on a ruler. I hope that made some sense and I hope that works :p

lapushka
February 11th, 2016, 01:13 PM
I'd say 3a/b. As far as thickness, that is up to you. You need to make a ponytail and measure the circumference. Then tell us, and we'll tell you what category you fall under.

M.McDonough
February 11th, 2016, 01:16 PM
I'd say 3a/b. As far as thickness, that is up to you. You need to make a ponytail and measure the circumference. Then tell us, and we'll tell you what category you fall under.

I did that I think it was slightly more than 3 inches

M.McDonough
February 11th, 2016, 01:28 PM
You're in the 3's somewhere for curliness. As for thickness/thinness, you can use measuring tape to measure your hair. If you make a ponytail with a hair tie you can try that. Just make sure you measure the hair and not the hair tie included with the measurement. Or if you want, get some string instead of a hairtie and wrap that around your ponytail. Mark with your finger where the string meets itself in a full circle around your ponytail and then keep your finger there on the string until you measure it out on a ruler. I hope that made some sense and I hope that works :p

Thank you. But my profile says 2b/2c. I don't see how I'm 3. Most of my curls are kind of loose :/

Arctic
February 11th, 2016, 01:38 PM
if your pony is 3,5 inches, then you are ii thickness, at the thicker end of that category. I would also, like other commenters, put you at least partially in the 3s, to my eye you clearly have curls. You do have strong waves too, but I'm not sure if this is a proper hairtyping photo (freshly washed, let air dry without touching, no products). I think you are at least 2c/3a.

Thickness of individual strands is difficult to eyeball from photos, with exception of macro photos which would make it slightly easier. But I think you aren't in F (fine = the thinnest strands) category, F hair tends to have a specific look to it. How do your individual hairs feel like?

M.McDonough
February 11th, 2016, 01:44 PM
if your pony is 3,5 inches, then you are ii thickness, at the thicker end of that category. I would also, like other commenters, put you at least partially in the 3s, to my eye you clearly have curls. You do have strong waves too, but I'm not sure if this is a proper hairtyping photo (freshly washed, let air dry without touching, no products). I think you are at least 2c/3a.

Thickness of individual strands is difficult to eyeball from photos, with exception of macro photos which would make it slightly easier. But I think you aren't in F (fine = the thinnest strands) category, F hair tends to have a specific look to it. How do your individual hairs feel like?

Actually I edited my last comment. Slightly morr than 3 inches

chen bao jun
February 11th, 2016, 02:00 PM
Thank you. But my profile says 2b/2c. I don't see how I'm 3. Most of my curls are kind of loose :/

Call yourself what you like. There are no curl type police here, and honestly, what people say their curls are is something that's all over the map. So if you want to be a 2b, go ahead, be a 2b.

But if you go according to the definitions, anything in the 2s is wavy hair, not curly. 2c might have some curls at the very end, but is still actually wavy hair, not curly. 3a are the loosest curls there are, sidewalk chalk diameter, 3b gets to marker sized, 3c is pencil sized, 4a is like a pen spring. That's where people are coming from when they say you are 3a--they mean you have definite curls, but they are loose. I would think that was a compliment. It's all so not important, anyway. it's like a guide to give you a starting place to look for products and methods, that's all.

Pretty hair, anyway.

Sarahlabyrinth
February 11th, 2016, 02:02 PM
To me, you look like a 3a, and very pretty hair :)

lapushka
February 11th, 2016, 02:36 PM

You aren't just wavy. And you did ask for input. ;)

LongCurlyTress
February 11th, 2016, 03:21 PM
Hope this chart helps you! ;) http://www.naturallycurly.com/hair-types

ETA oops you wanted to know your hair thickness, sorry! You need a measuring tape to do that as someone else stated below.

AJNinami
February 11th, 2016, 04:52 PM
Actually I edited my last comment. Slightly morr than 3 inches

If you read the post I linked, you would have found the whole chart. But I've copied and pasted it for you.

i - thin (less than 2 inches/5 centimeters)
ii - average (between 2-4 inches or 5-10 centimeters)
iii - thick (more than 4 inches/10 centimeters)

M.McDonough
February 12th, 2016, 01:11 AM
If you read the post I linked, you would have found the whole chart. But I've copied and pasted it for you.

i - thin (less than 2 inches/5 centimeters)
ii - average (between 2-4 inches or 5-10 centimeters)
iii - thick (more than 4 inches/10 centimeters)

I did haha I just wanted to know if people could tell by looking at the photo

Techmouse
February 14th, 2016, 08:48 AM
Thickness is hard to tell without a ponytail measurement. I have a friend who appears to have the exact same hair type that I do. The difference came when I tried to use one of my flexi-8's in her hair. She has a "i" thickness, whereas I have a "iii" thickness. This is only seen when we put our hair in ponytails, though. When we wear our hair down, it looks like we both have very thick hair. Hope that helps :flower:

maborosi
February 14th, 2016, 12:13 PM
Curlier hair, I think, usually appears thicker than straighter hair. I have ii hair (3.5" circumference) which looks very thin, even if it's technically not.

It can be pretty tough to judge just by looking. :)

chen bao jun
February 15th, 2016, 08:09 AM
Thickness is hard to tell without a ponytail measurement. I have a friend who appears to have the exact same hair type that I do. The difference came when I tried to use one of my flexi-8's in her hair. She has a "i" thickness, whereas I have a "iii" thickness. This is only seen when we put our hair in ponytails, though. When we wear our hair down, it looks like we both have very thick hair. Hope that helps :flower:

This is SOOO true. Hair can look exactly the same and be a very different thickness. Also, people do things to make their thickness appear different, depending on if they like it or not. for instance, I tend to wear half-ups when my hair is loose and do as as much as I can to make my hair appear thinner when I'm out and about (heard one too many comments about it being 'crazy' and 'wild'). While others tease, pouf, put in hot rollers and do things to make their hair appear as thick as possible. And often we can end up looking like we have the same amount of hair.

But when you touch it, you know the difference, as said here, especially when you grasp it, in preparation for a ponytail.

I notice that hairdressers, who have experience with this, never say my hair is thick when they've just looked at, its when they get their hands in it that the comments start about the thickness being enough for two people, etc. etc. (and they never sound happy about this, trust me. They have the experience to know that this means trouble for them).

I do think what maborosi says is important, too. I think in my case, because my hair is obviously very curly and clearly has pouf, even when it looks visually very thick, people assume it just looks like that, because of hair type. I've had people argue with me and say that my hair can't be thick, it just looks that way because its curly. Again, when they actually get their hands into it---