PDA

View Full Version : applying conditioner to dry hair?

hair jim
October 13th, 2008, 06:18 PM
will that help my hair absorb the conditioner?
~jim

lora410
October 13th, 2008, 06:40 PM
I have tried many things on dry hair from oil to conditioner, and personally I think it works best with damp hair.

Magdalene
October 13th, 2008, 07:14 PM
I do it to detangle- works better for that than on wet..

AJoifulNoise
October 13th, 2008, 07:16 PM
I know that some do find success with it, but when I tried I noticed a lot of shedding.

spidermom
October 13th, 2008, 07:42 PM
Nope. Water breaks up the hydrogen bonds in hair and allows the cuticle to lift, thus enabling conditioner and oil to penetrate. Oil/conditioner won't penetrate a tight cuticle.

plainjanegirl
October 13th, 2008, 07:48 PM
I've been wondering the same thing. So when I try a preoiling this week I will make sure to wet the hair first.

Anje
October 13th, 2008, 08:13 PM
I've tried it, but the main difference I notice is that I use up a lot more conditioner, with little benefit. If you're applying conditioner for conditioning, wet your hair first, squeeze out the excess water, then condition it.

Applying conditioner to dry hair for CO is a different matter, though. The conditioner will dissolve more scalp oil if it isn't diluted by the water on your hair. It's a good way to cut through a lot of oil.

Nope. Water breaks up the hydrogen bonds in hair and allows the cuticle to lift, thus enabling conditioner and oil to penetrate. Oil/conditioner won't penetrate a tight cuticle.
I disagree, only in that conditioner has quite a lot of water in it (typically the first ingredient is water), which should break the H-bonds as well. If your conditioner has little water, this would definitely change.

spidermom
October 13th, 2008, 08:18 PM
I've tried it, but the main difference I notice is that I use up a lot more conditioner, with little benefit. If you're applying conditioner for conditioning, wet your hair first, squeeze out the excess water, then condition it.

Applying conditioner to dry hair for CO is a different matter, though. The conditioner will dissolve more scalp oil if it isn't diluted by the water on your hair. It's a good way to cut through a lot of oil.

I disagree, only in that conditioner has quite a lot of water in it (typically the first ingredient is water), which should break the H-bonds as well. If your conditioner has little water, this would definitely change.

Good point.

morningstar
October 13th, 2008, 08:49 PM
I use a small amount of condish on my twins very long and very dry hair in the morning to help make smoother braids. I like to put it in damp hair and braid with a touch of oil.

Chanterelle
October 14th, 2008, 01:59 AM
I always do it with my precious leave in conditioner (Schwarzkopf Bonacure Moisture Kick spray). I apply it to toweldried hair after washing and then daily to dry hair. It makes my frizzy wavy hair manageable and helps forming lovely curls.

LilyMunster
October 14th, 2008, 05:20 AM
Just avoid to the scalp if hair is not wet down yet. Causes more shedding for me.

xrosiex
October 14th, 2008, 03:35 PM
I like doing this. I use a cheap conditioner. I only put from my ears down. Wait about a hour and wash my hair. My hair is really soft and easy to comb.

girlcat36
October 14th, 2008, 04:05 PM
I recently started doing this, it seems to help my hair retain more moisture. I have curly hair, which means a more open cuticle, so maybe that's why.:confused:

jojo
October 14th, 2008, 04:58 PM
I do this sometimes but just on my ends and canopy to tame the frizzes works great too. I also do this with diluted conditioner. x

Buddaphlyy
October 14th, 2008, 07:38 PM
I recently started doing this, it seems to help my hair retain more moisture. I have curly hair, which means a more open cuticle, so maybe that's why.:confused:

I think that has something to do with it because that's how my hair is too. When I really want to get the most moisturizing benefits from my condish, I always apply it to dry hair with heat, then rinse later.