PDA

View Full Version : Protecting your hair when you go swimming?

Lisa-K
February 7th, 2016, 10:28 AM
Hi everyone, I go swimming on Thursday. I know that chlorine is bad, so obviously I plan on taking a shower and washing / conditioning my hair right after. But is there anything I can do before I get into the pool to protect my hair? I will put it up in a bun, but was wondering if any kind of oil might help, perhaps?

meteor
February 7th, 2016, 10:46 AM
A few ideas:

- before swimming, apply a heavy coat of oil (e.g. coconut) to reduce water uptake in chlorinated pools (you can also layer conditioners and oil to create a permeable barrier);

- keep hair bunned;

- try finding an unchlorinated swimming pool;

- if you are going to swim regularly, consider using 2 swim caps, if possible (they might help keep hair somewhat dry, unlike just 1 swimming cap);

- after swimming, rinse hair with tap or distilled water for a couple minutes (to remove some of the minerals) and then chelate (using a chelating or swimmers' shampoo) and condition or do a deep treatment, if you have time.

M.McDonough
February 7th, 2016, 11:16 AM
I personally used to have one of these.
A silicone cap. But I'm not sure if it'll work. Do have super long hair?
http://www.wigglestatic.com/product-media/5360071161/H-Speedo-8709900001i-Zoom.jpg?w=1400&h=1400&a=7

spidermom
February 7th, 2016, 11:26 AM
The most protective thing I've found is to generously apply a coney serum, like CHI Silk Infusion, then braid snugly. We like to vacation in places where we can swim and sun and go snorkeling. I like to hop in and out of the pool off and on all day so would leave washing/rinsing my hair until the evening. I've tried several kinds of oil and conditioner instead of the serum, and the serum won; hands down.

Lisa-K
February 7th, 2016, 12:56 PM
Thanks everyone! Would olive oil do the job? Or do you think a heavier oil, like coconut for example, would be better?

I will also check out serums and a few other things that were mentioned when I go shopping tomorrow.

At the end of the day, I realize that going for a swim every once in a while isn't going to ruin my hair. But since I'm on mission to grow it strong and healthy, I figured it may be good to gather some ideas to protect it while swimming, and then to pamper it afterwards.

Thanks!

lapushka
February 7th, 2016, 04:12 PM
I know of a super long hair who wears a speedo cap; and she's also on YT! Check it out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czj4DOl6UO4