PDA

View Full Version : For all super thick 3/x/iii's ;D

LongCurlyTress
February 7th, 2016, 09:19 AM
I looked around the LHC Forum and did not see a thread just for us Curlygirl 3/with extreme thickness --iii's to commiserate, celebrate and grow to extreme lengths. I am a curly 3b, iii, 4 in thickness, and measuring at 35inches in length. My current goal is classic length but I might extend that on if and when I ever grow to there. ;)

So, here is a thread to share what works for us, any photos of our hair, and/or commiserate about good and bad hair days. Please share your positive, encouraging thoughts as well and welcome to this thread! ;) Thanks for stopping by! &;)

Sorry for any thread title confusion. The title should really read:
"For all super-thick Curly 3's/iii &;D"
Thank you! :magic:

Estrid
February 7th, 2016, 09:21 AM
I'm pretty sure there is a thread for iii hair, I think I even wrote in it when my hair was on the iii mark, I'll try to find it, but I think someone will be faster than me x)

ETA: this was the thread I was thinking of (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=127091), maybe not completely the same idea as here :)

lapushka
February 7th, 2016, 09:27 AM
There is indeed already a thread on this:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=43020

Estrid
February 7th, 2016, 09:31 AM
There is indeed already a thread on this:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=43020

Oh right, that one!

...I have written in that thread as well :doh: Kinda miss when my hair was iii

LongCurlyTress
February 7th, 2016, 09:43 AM
[QUOTE=Estrid;3167673]Oh right, that one!

Thank you also Estrid for the thread info!

LongCurlyTress
February 9th, 2016, 09:17 AM
Although there are a couple other threads mentioned below -- thank you lapushka and estrid, --that address iii thickness hair, this thread is specifically for very curly/bushy-- 3/iii hair which is what I have and am most interested in since this is what I have. ;)

Anyways, I would love to have others post their Thick iii/CURLY 3 hair concerns, trials and tribulations. Thanks!! :cool:

How long is your hair now?
How long was it when you started to grow to extensive lengths?
What is your goal length?
What detangling products have you used that work with keeping breaking hair to a minimum or not at all?
What self-trimming technique works for you?

Please only 3/iii hairs respond as we have some very difficult issues to deal with as we grow our hair longer. Thanks!!
I will go first:

My hair is hovering at TBL which is 37 inches when stretched out.

I cut my hair to a chin length curly 3b bob at 15 inches in March, 2011 to cut off the dyed/dried out apl length.

My goal length for now is classic due to tangling/breaking issues as my hair gets longer.

I am using Kirkland diluted Shampoo and gobs of Conditioner in the shower for detangling. This is allegedly the generic for Pureology as the ingredients are basically the same.

I struggle with trimming my hair as the tips curl up when I hold the tassel between my fingers during a trim. I won't use a straightener on my hair which is oftentimes recommended for self trims on curly 3's. I purchased a Creaclip but even with my hair detangled and damp, it still broke a lot of hairs as my DH gently pulled the white smiley face Creaclip down my back to make sure my hemline would be cut evenly. I won't use that again like that. ;(

Well, please share your photos and likes dislikes for curly girl products here. Thanks!!
Btw, I should have entitled this thread for 3/iii's only... ;)

My photo albums are available for friends and contacts only. ;) But, my siggy pic gives you an idea of how much hair I am dealing with. ;) Also, please keep all comments encouraging and postitive. Thanks!

lapushka
February 9th, 2016, 09:26 AM
LCT, maybe you could have the mods change the title accordingly. It might be a little confusing otherwise. It's just a suggestion, though. :flower:

LongCurlyTress
February 9th, 2016, 09:29 AM
LCT, maybe you could have the mods change the title accordingly. It might be a little confusing otherwise. It's just a suggestion, though. :flower:

Great suggestion. Thank you! :cheer: I was under the impression that you could not change a thread title, but I guess, a mod can. ;) Thanks again!

neko_kawaii
February 9th, 2016, 09:49 AM
Great suggestion. Thank you! :cheer: I was under the impression that you could not change a thread title, but I guess, a mod can. ;) Thanks again!

Always happy to!

LongCurlyTress
February 9th, 2016, 10:05 AM
Always happy to!

Thank you so much neko_kawaii!! Not too sure just how many 3/iii's there are but it will be fun to collab on thick curly hair stuff for whomever is interested. ;) Thanks again!! :cool:

Quick question.. will the sub titles on the thread as posts are posted-- eventually change to include the 3? Thanks!

neko_kawaii
February 9th, 2016, 10:15 AM
Thank you so much neko_kawaii!! Not too sure just how many 3/iii's there are but it will be fun to collab on thick curly hair stuff for whomever is interested. ;) Thanks again!! :cool:

Quick question.. will the sub titles on the thread as posts are posted-- eventually change to include the 3? Thanks!

You know, I've never looked into how the system assigns the sub titles. Just now I started a general reply to the thread, switched to advanced which allowed me to edit the sub title for my reply, and saw that it automatically had the new thread title. Then, I replied directly to your post, switched to advanced, and it had the old title. I changed it there to the new title. *shrug*

LongCurlyTress
February 9th, 2016, 10:24 AM
You know, I've never looked into how the system assigns the sub titles. Just now I started a general reply to the thread, switched to advanced which allowed me to edit the sub title for my reply, and saw that it automatically had the new thread title. Then, I replied directly to your post, switched to advanced, and it had the old title. I changed it there to the new title. *shrug*

Oh!! All the titles - main and sub all say 3/iii'''''''''s!! its perfect!! THANK YOU!!! ;D

LongCurlyTress
February 9th, 2016, 10:30 AM
Hi!!!! The title and my profile pic.. (which is my inspiration pic) and siggy pic,& ;) say it all. I hope all those who struggle with our love for long, extreme lengths but who also have thick curly 3 hair will post here and share their thoughts and solutions. Thank you for sharing!! &;D

longcurlygirl<3
February 9th, 2016, 11:11 AM
What detangling products have you used that work with keeping breaking hair to a minimum or not at all?

Hi LCT! My hair texture is more Medium, but I have ALOT of hair and you've seen from my pictures. My hair is not bushy if I maintain it well. But if I sleep on it loose, it's bushy lol.
But to answer your questions...

My hair is 3 inches (when curly) before classic now, it was too much work at classic. But if stretch is maybe mid-thigh?

It's been five years.

My goal was classic, but for now a few inches before.

I use Tresemme Naturals with Aloe and Avocado. It provides lots of slip. But when I was modifying my regime, I really like HE HH. Knots just came out. I like my SEAMLESS hercules comb that I bought on the boards. Very nice. But the secret is trying to detangle first under water with one's fingers and then proceeding with one's regime.

I think self-trimming techniques work best on freshly-washed hair, and with very sharp scissors cutting the "c" tip of a curl. It's a at home devacut. I prefer U-shape, so you cut around the edges to get that shape. It's not to be perfect, but it makes my hem look more natural.

Hope this helps!:blossom:

LongCurlyTress
February 9th, 2016, 12:58 PM
longcurlygirl<3 your siggy pics are gorgeous! Absolutely gorgeous. Thank you for sharing. Classic when curly? Oh wow... that is my ultimate goal... ;) So you do like HE HH- the conditioner ? sounds like it gives alot of slip.. I love the smell of HE line.. everything so maybe I should give it another try. And Tresemme Naturals. Notes taken!! Do you belong to Costco? I see u live in the US. If so, then you have got to try the Kirkland shampoo and conditioner. That conditioner is 7.49 for a liter and is incredibly thick and rich and I slather it on for detangling if your current products stop working for you or they change the formula, which has happened to me. I used to use back in the 90s Nexxus Humectress and you could also use it as a leave in.. but then they added protein to it and that sunk my boat. ;( I am protein sensitive and my hair just frizzed out from it with the new Humectress formula. I called the company and complained but all they did was send me ten dollars coupon to go try a diffo product in their line which also frizzed my hair after I washed it out. Ugh...

Nice to know about HE HH and Tresemme Naturals. Your. hair. is. gorgeous. btw! :applause

endersworld
February 9th, 2016, 01:58 PM
My hair is about 39" now, which is a bit past tailbone on me. I've been growing it out since freshman year of college, which was about four years ago (at that point it was a bit above shoulder length). It looked awful at that point, because it's wavier when it's short (almost a 2b/2c), so it kind of just hung down beside my face and flipped out uncontrollably below my chin. I'm growing to classic or terminal, whichever comes first, though I've toyed with the idea of growing it out as long as possible just to see how long it'll go.
For detangling, I do a deep condition with coconut oil at least once a month (sometimes twice a month during winter), and otherwise just use tons and tons of conditioner whenever I wash it. I normally shampoo the roots, then condition the length really well, wait about 15-20 minutes, and rinse it out again. Generally I use the Herbal Essences shampoo and conditioner, as it works best for detangling purposes - currently I'm on the purple one (curl something?) in an attempt to make my hair a bit less flat, but I go back to Hello Hydration quite a lot. I've found it's best for detangling my life :D
I've never tried self-trimming, as my family has a hairstylist we have gone to since I was old enough to get my hair cut, and she's very good about only taking off as much as is needed to neaten up the ends.

LongCurlyTress
February 9th, 2016, 04:38 PM
Hi endersworld! Thank you for posting here. Welcome, although you are not a curlygirl 3, I am glad you still posted here anyways. ;) It seems like HE Hello Hydration works really well for detangling thick hair. Many LHers love it and I think it is also CG friendly too which is another plus. ;) I love the smell of Herbal Essences products... all of them! You and your family are so lucky to have found a hairstylist who does exactly what you ask them to do. I have not been so lucky. Usually they just do what they think curly 3b hair should look like and everyone always wants to layer into my hair thinking they will "shape it", but actually that just creates more bulkiness. Think Rosanne RosannaDanna! LOL... And that is why I am sure G-d created buns. LOL.. thanks for stopping by to say hi and post over here. ;):cheer:

chen bao jun
February 9th, 2016, 06:43 PM
]How long is your hair now?

Hesitated about posting as I don't have the length. I have the curliness and thickness though, so I'll give it a shot, especially seeing that not that many are posting.

My hair is almost APL when curly and when its straightened its somewhere around bottom bra strap. I am a hypercurly.
Last time I measured I was a little bit over 5 inches thickness.
My hair was about ear length curly when I started, when straightened it was just below shoulder.
I hope to get to waist. I won't complain if its more, though.
I don't dare go without cones, I used Tresseme Smooth n Silky, or Aussie Moist for detangling, and leave in. I use the tightly curly method, modified slightly.
I don't bother to trim. TBH, you can't tell if I did not or not anyway. I always have fairy tale ends, like a lot of curlies, because since my hair randomly stretches and springs up to different lengths daily (or even hourly), if you trimmed it evenly today, tomorrow the curls would do different things and it would look fairy tailed again, anyway.I just cut off SSKs, whcih I am unfortunately prone to and forget it.

One thing I'd like to add-- as a curly who has been bushy and frizzy before, long hair is better than short hair for us. Way better. I have lost the dreaded triangle head. I am much less prone to be bushy. I look forward very much to reaching truly longer lengths and meanwhile appreciate you for starting this thread. Curly very thick hair really is a different animal from other hairtypes that are very thick. i LOVE having thick hair, but I didn't always, because it really can be hard to control and as for finding a good hairdresser when you have this hairtype, forget it.

I will post pics later. Going through my pics, I actually have very few pics which show the thickness. I guess I am still a bit self conscious about it and tend to post pics with it in a half up, or pinned back in some way, so that it doesn't look so thick as it is. To let you know how thick it is, I can use a size large ficcare for a half-up and often do--now isn't that crazy?

chen bao jun
February 9th, 2016, 07:12 PM
Gives some idea. In the last one, I didn't show my taper from damage, which I have a lot of. That is a large ficcare in the third pic, yup.
http://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/a481/uloma1/100_2947_zps8fb8c3d4.jpg (http://s1280.photobucket.com/user/uloma1/media/100_2947_zps8fb8c3d4.jpg.html)
http://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/a481/uloma1/noface_zpsfpj1a7cs.jpg (http://s1280.photobucket.com/user/uloma1/media/noface_zpsfpj1a7cs.jpg.html)
http://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/a481/uloma1/20150314_144710_zpsove1eknv.jpg (http://s1280.photobucket.com/user/uloma1/media/20150314_144710_zpsove1eknv.jpg.html)
http://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/a481/uloma1/7b91e3d1-e99e-4238-a18f-78e0c7b6a304_zpshqluznaj.jpg (http://s1280.photobucket.com/user/uloma1/media/7b91e3d1-e99e-4238-a18f-78e0c7b6a304_zpshqluznaj.jpg.html)

chen bao jun
February 9th, 2016, 07:18 PM
Adding one of my straightened (flat ironed) hair as I've been accused before of not having thick hair, that it's all the curl and pouf making it look thicker--
Nope, it actually is super thick hair. some of it is actually over my shoulder to the front in this pic. also, I have got bangs--and not teeny wispy bangs, either.
I don't flat iron much. Partly because it literally takes HOURS. Nobody can stand the process. Not me and certainly not the hairdresser.
http://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/a481/uloma1/september%202015%20flat%20ironed%20cropped_zpsb7di 14pc.jpg (http://s1280.photobucket.com/user/uloma1/media/september%202015%20flat%20ironed%20cropped_zpsb7di 14pc.jpg.html)

chen bao jun
February 9th, 2016, 07:41 PM
I have come to appreciate my thickness here on LHC, where people actually admire thick hair and aspire to it. Which is not always the case in real life. At least, not when its this thick.

I have also come to appreciate it as I get old--at 59 years old, to still have very thick hair is a blessing and I no longer take it for granted.

I do think that thickness and having longer hair go well together. I think I said before that i am finding that length is solving a lot of previous problems. Triangle head. Excess poufiness and hair height. Easier detangling.
I don't have any hints though, except to stay with silicones and invest in a ficcare super clip, if you ever see one for sale, as well as plenty of Lady idun sticks.

LongCurlyTress
February 9th, 2016, 07:47 PM
Hi chen bao jun!! Thanks so much for posting here! Our hair type and thickness is so challenging!! I know from your previous posts on other threads that your length is there, but is hidden by your curls. That is so frustrating! I too have this problem, but not quite to the extent that you do. 5 inches thick? Wow! I know how you always have to at least have your hair in a half up since otherwise it gets so big. I have the same problem. On another "wear your hair up everyday challenge" thread, a few were reallly surprised when I posted that I have to wear my hair up everyday and always have due to its biggness. LOL... I have no choice!! And I know you know what I am talking about! LOL!!

I always admire your profile pic that show your pretty hairstyles. And I appreciate your pics here on this thread too. I get that you need a large Ficcare for your half up pony! People don't understand why I can't use a Ficcare for a bun. But my thickness doesn't let the clip close and hold my hair. And they are so pretty! ;(

There are definitely pros and cons to having such thick curly hair. It does look prettier when it's long, and I will always have long/ virgin hair forever. I need to be able to put it into buns!! Once again, I am so glad you posted! ;)

I just turned 58 so I know we should be embracing our thickness since many women start to have thinner hair due to menopause... and I do appreciate it... It's fun to be on LHC where others appreciate our thickness. I have never really felt so accepted before as I do on these threads and it's still fun to hang out with others who also love their long hair. And, the grass is not always greener with the thinner hair. Each type certainly has their problems and challenges. I think we are rather lucky, actually! ;)

chen bao jun
February 9th, 2016, 07:55 PM
thanks for the encouragement, LongCurlyTress!
Yep, bigness. That's a good way to put it.
Possibly you could use two ficcares? There is a member here, Islandgrrl, she is not a curly but she has superthick hair to her knees, she solves it by always wearing two ficcares. But she shared the other day that she only needs ONE superclip.
I have days when I feel somewhat annoyed by the shrinkage,but I always remind myself that curls are pretty. when it comes down to it, I know I'd rather have pretty curls and have my hair look somewhat shorter than not have curls. Not to say that people's hair that is naturally straight is not pretty. I just mean, that my hair looks better when allowed to curl, since that's what it does naturally. My straightened hair doesn't look like naturally straight hair at all and its not very attractive, at least not to me.

LongCurlyTress
February 9th, 2016, 08:03 PM
Hi again!! My DH just got home from work so I need to get dinner going... California time... but I will write more tomorrow! Hugs! Btw, metal clips seem to weigh alot in my hair and pull the strands. I have tried them. ;( It's ok. I love hairsticks and have a nice little collection going. I already learned that hairforks weigh too much combined with the thickness of my hair so sticks and claw clips it is. Ttus! ;) I am also loving a braided bun these days wrapped around the hairstick. Do you ever do a french peacock twist? I did that alot when my hair was at your length with some side chin length bangs. I felt alot more glam back then than I do now with my buns. ;)

ETA I really love your avatar bun/flexi! ;)

Here is one of my favorite videos so maybe you can use the hairfork like she is using hers. She also has super thick hair. I corresponded with her and that one Oruaka hairfork is almost 7 inches total length! Unfortunately, Oruaka is not making those forks with the thin prongs anymore. He and I went back and forth on Etsy awhile back and then he wanted to charge me $150 so I said no thanks. The thinner prongs would help reduce the weight of the hairfork I think. Bummer he isn't making this hairfork anymore. ;( It looks so pretty in her hair in the video. ;(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4nvmFseEiA

lapis_lazuli
February 10th, 2016, 12:31 AM
Just wanted to drop in and say you have phenomenal hair, chen bao jun! :thud: Wow! Stunning :)

LongCurlyTress
February 10th, 2016, 10:23 AM
Hi LL! Thank you so much for stopping by to say hi!! ;) Always wonderful to see your avatar posting!! ;)

@ chen bao jun

Have you checked out the hairforum, naturally curly dot com? I think you will find it very reassuring and informative. LHC is wonderful, but I think us curlygirls are rare amongst the LHers. ;) They have alot of great ideas and solutions, especially if you are not protein sensitive like I am. ;(

Also a few great facebook groups are:
Beautiful Girls with Curly Hair
Curly Girl Experiment, No or Low...
Wavy Hair Community

ETA one more fun/motivating FB group page:
Curly&chic

These are all closed groups so please PM me and I will tell you more and can invite you to them if you are on Fb. ;) I think you might get some great support for growing your hair longer. If anything, I love looking at the gorgeous curls in the first group and have grown a self acceptance from seeing their photos and embracing their length even when their hair is shorter. A great cut and these girls' hair looks so great! Anyways, just pm me and we can share info/real names over there so I can get you into those groups. ;) if you are interested, of course! ;)

Something else that has really helped me is to embrace what I have been given. I am learning to love my hair and be proud of it. There are so many youtube videos on this. One of my favorite is Big Hair Don't Care! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJP0hU04n2s

chen bao jun
February 10th, 2016, 01:17 PM
Thanks, Lapis Lazuli.

And thanks for all the info, LongCurlyTress! Yes, it makes sense that at your length, your hair would be heavy with that thickness you have and that ficcares would weigh you down. If I ever get to a similar length (here's hoping) we will see what happens. I have been getting quite the collection of Lady iduns, I buy the extra long ones, I hope those will still work. Or at least that they will still be popular on here so that I can sell them, then.
What sticks do you use?

so far as forks, at the moment, I don't use them very much, I am on a binge of using Lady Iduns. But I did find that Jeterforks are light weight. Have you ever tried them?

I will think about joining other forums. I am trying to spend less time on forums actually--hoping I will get more work done if I stay off them to some extent.. Don't know if that will happen though. Thanks for your kind offer to sign me up for the ones that need facebook.

I might try to use peacock twists this summer. The problem I have had in the past is that my hair was so short that it would stick up instead of flopping down--it looked most unattractive. Recently though, I have enough length that the curls that come out of a peacock twist have started to look like curls, instead of like two or three pieces of hair just sticking up like a dr. seuss character. So we'll see. My hair, interestingly, does not usually stick up. I have gone through periods of trying to make it do that, so that it will look clearly like afro hair--and of course THEN it always flops.

LongCurlyTress
February 10th, 2016, 02:07 PM
And thanks for all the info, LongCurlyTress! Yes, it makes sense that at your length, your hair would be heavy with that thickness you have and that ficcares would weigh you down. If I ever get to a similar length (here's hoping) we will see what happens. I have been getting quite the collection of Lady iduns, I buy the extra long ones, I hope those will still work. Or at least that they will still be popular on here so that I can sell them, then.
What sticks do you use?

chen bao jun--If you look in my LHC albums I have a few photos of my modest hairtoy collection. I am currently loving Mei Fa hairsticks and splurged on a set of two last November. They are very thin sticks and don't break my hairs going in like the Jeterfork does or thicker hairsticks. I am very content with what I currently have as my philosophy is less is more. My current favs are my Mei Fa's and a set of knitting needles that I used enamel nail polish on and use them when my hair is damp. I did have quite the collection of TT's going etc. but sold/traded them since I was not using them at all. Lady Idun's are beautiful!! and perfect for wet/damp buns. Love them!

so far as forks, at the moment, I don't use them very much, I am on a binge of using Lady Iduns. But I did find that Jeterforks are light weight. Have you ever tried them?

I will think about joining other forums. I am trying to spend less time on forums actually--hoping I will get more work done if I stay off them to some extent.. Don't know if that will happen though. Thanks for your kind offer to sign me up for the ones that need facebook.

I have learned to really love my hair no matter what the length and to feel pretty with it from being a part of the fb groups and videos I mentioned below. LHC is great for haircare ideas, but for us curlygirls, sometimes I do feel a bit left out since my hair is so different than what seems to be the majority of LHC members. These fb groups are made up of curly girls like myself, so I have learned to really love what I have at every length. Even when my hair was shorter, I liked it and put it into a half up like you do and shook my hair out to make it really big and eye catching in the half up. ;) I think you will learn alot from the other curlies in those other fb groups and naturallycurly.com the curly hair forum. I know I did! ;)

I might try to use peacock twists this summer. The problem I have had in the past is that my hair was so short that it would stick up instead of flopping down--it looked most unattractive. Recently though, I have enough length that the curls that come out of a peacock twist have started to look like curls, instead of like two or three pieces of hair just sticking up like a dr. seuss character. So we'll see. My hair, interestingly, does not usually stick up. I have gone through periods of trying to make it do that, so that it will look clearly like afro hair--and of course THEN it always flops.

With the peacock twist, when my hair was shorter, I just left it sticking out of the top of the clip and if I put my hair into the french twist damp, the ends curled up at the top. Eventually I had to tuck them into the clip and now my hair is too thick for the biggest claw clip to go around a french twist. And also, the claw clip really yanks on my scalp hairs with the weight of the french twist. But I really loved that style, with big hoop earrings and side swept chin length bangs, straightened. ;)

Here is one more fb group that is very fun and makes me really appreciate my curls. ;)

Curly&chic

My albums can only be seen by mods and friends and contacts. Just now, I noticed my friendship request to you is still pending so hope you accept it so you can see my albums. Thanks!! ;)

chen bao jun
February 10th, 2016, 02:36 PM
I will accept your request. You will be the first 'friend' I have on here. I hadn't accepted any friend requests up to this point because I wasn't sure exactly what it meant. If its to keep albums more private, that makes sense. :)

LongCurlyTress
February 10th, 2016, 03:19 PM
I will accept your request. You will be the first 'friend' I have on here. I hadn't accepted any friend requests up to this point because I wasn't sure exactly what it meant. If its to keep albums more private, that makes sense. :)

Thank you!! :o It is also so you can see what your friends are posting and comment back on that same thread easier. It also is a fun way to find new fun threads to post on. ;)

hennalonghair
February 11th, 2016, 05:22 PM

Hi LCT! My hair texture is more Medium, but I have ALOT of hair and you've seen from my pictures. My hair is not bushy if I maintain it well. But if I sleep on it loose, it's bushy lol.
But to answer your questions...

My hair is 3 inches (when curly) before classic now, it was too much work at classic. But if stretch is maybe mid-thigh?

It's been five years.

My goal was classic, but for now a few inches before.

I use Tresemme Naturals with Aloe and Avocado. It provides lots of slip. But when I was modifying my regime, I really like HE HH. Knots just came out. I like my SEAMLESS hercules comb that I bought on the boards. Very nice. But the secret is trying to detangle first under water with one's fingers and then proceeding with one's regime.

I think self-trimming techniques work best on freshly-washed hair, and with very sharp scissors cutting the "c" tip of a curl. It's a at home devacut. I prefer U-shape, so you cut around the edges to get that shape. It's not to be perfect, but it makes my hem look more natural.

Hope this helps!:blossom:Your hair is gorgeous. I've seen clearer pics of it. Beautiful long curly locks:inlove:

LongCurlyTress
February 11th, 2016, 10:53 PM
Hey hennalonghair! You sure know all about 3/iii hair. What are your secrets? Please share! Thank you!! I was hoping you would stop by and say hi and disclose all your curlygirl thick hair secrets! Thank you for commenting! :p :happydance:

hennalonghair
February 12th, 2016, 04:06 AM
Hey hennalonghair! You sure know all about 3/iii hair. What are your secrets? Please share! Thank you!! I was hoping you would stop by and say hi and disclose all your curlygirl thick hair secrets! Thank you for commenting! :p :happydance:

Hey LCT,
While I consider myself a curly girl, I don't think of myself in the same category as you and these other 3's
. I'm closer to a 2b to 3a right after washing , swimming, humid or rainy weather or if my hairs in a French braid. All the other times I'm closer to a wavy 2b. Plus, besides not using cones, I don't generally follow all the curly girl rules. I've tried the no brushing, no combing routine and lasted maybe three days tops before I caved in and started combing and brushing again. My hair became a nightmare of a mess. It was dry, tangly and unruly. I'm pretty sure I lose more hair not brushing just due from major knots I get in my hair but I don't ever use heat. My hair dries au natural always.
My routine is generally once a week washing.
Condition length first; wash (Luke warm water)scalp only with diluted shampoo;
Rinse with Luke warm water - condition again with a richer conditioner and comb through from ends up; rinse with cool water; final rinse with fresh spring water with ACV (2 tbsp. per litre.)
When halfway dry I add a Shea butter combo and scrunch it in my ends and right above my ears where it tends to frizz. It helps seal and protect my hair and tames it some.
Occasionally if I wanna rock my curls I'll use a curl enhancer. Be Curly by Aveda is my favourite and i use so little of it but usually mix it with my Shea butter concoction and my hair really curls then.
I leave my hair curly and down on every wash day but that evening before bed it gets brushed and the ends conditioned with Shea butter. It's my go to product hands down.
Every time my hair gets put up it gets combed or brushed because I can't stand those darned curly cues getting caught at the back of my neck and I KNOW you ALL know what I'm talking about.
If I want to freshen up my wave/curl pattern I wet my hairs and run them through my hair then I spray some diluted conditioner onto my hands and run that through my hair. My hair instantly bounces back but is sleeker and smoother. Most products I use in my hair get rubbed into my hands first and then applied. I never put anything directly on my hair.
My hair is far curlier in the spring and summer months. Fall and water my hair tends to straighten out a bit more. Also I'm not a fan of fairy tale ends on myself, although I'm too OCD to ever have had them. :lol: For me I find my hair grows better in clumps. The clumps of hair protect each other and help define the curl pattern. Besides the fact that I have certain sections that grow faster than other is another reason for trimming. As soon as my ends start to taper too much or get too dried out I lose my curl pattern and I personally think there's nothing more attractive than seeing long curly hair that has a defined wave pattern from the roots to the ends.
I'm pretty OCD about blunt ends as you already know.
:yawn:
Right? :shrug:
Now aren't you glad you asked.?laugh:

Here's a few photos, from the past 14 months of growing.

http://s50.photobucket.com/user/pollywoggle999/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsqq6dzhzi.jpg.html?sort=3&o=29

http://s50.photobucket.com/user/pollywoggle999/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsadbcuw0b.jpg.html?sort=3&o=53

http://s50.photobucket.com/user/pollywoggle999/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpskkwhcrrf.jpg.html?sort=3&o=74

http://s50.photobucket.com/user/pollywoggle999/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpscjned7nr.jpg.html?sort=3&o=83

http://s50.photobucket.com/user/pollywoggle999/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsn4m8juie.jpg.html?sort=3&o=85

http://s50.photobucket.com/user/pollywoggle999/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsclryaicd.jpg.html?sort=3&o=90

http://s50.photobucket.com/user/pollywoggle999/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsctsn1akj.jpg.html?sort=3&o=93

http://s50.photobucket.com/user/pollywoggle999/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsxdjyoctm.jpg.html?sort=3&o=128

LongCurlyTress
February 12th, 2016, 07:58 AM
hennalonghair!! Your hair is outstandingly beautiful! Thank you so much for sharing all of your photos here as well as in your albums. I can't get over just how thick and luxurious your hair is! And how even and thick and shiny your hemline is! Wow!! So, I am guessing the shae butter doesn't have protein in it? I saw it at Whole Foods so maybe I will try it out. I am guessing your hair is medium or coarse? It just doesn't seem to be the same texture as mine is (fine) which really frizzes my life up alot if you know what I mean? Thank you again for sharing your lovely tresses with us. I think you are right... seems like your hair is curly before brushing like mine is, but sidewalk chalk size spirals, instead of marker pen size. LOL... Thanks again for sharing your routine too! What a gorgeous hemline! And, I am very happy that I took your "it's ok to trim a bit" advice in January. My shedding is back to a minimum amount and that is a relief for me. Health before length!! I think I was in a bit of remorseful shock at first which accounts for the regret I mentioned, but now I can totally see that the ends do protect each other and keep each other happy when they are all about the same length. ;):happydance: I updated my Hair Growing Journey album with a recent pic after my trim. I am wearing the maroon sweater. ;) My hair looks so short in that sweater but it is actually back to 35 inches already!! Yay!! I know trimming does not make your hair grow faster, but... it sure seems like it! Prob the thickened up hemline protecting its' buddies. &;D

LongCurlyTress
February 12th, 2016, 08:36 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4eOJPb9kYQ

Just thought I would share this video and jordeecakes jay yt channel. If you have discovered a great youtuber and channel with long, curly, thick hair, please post the links here! ;) Anything to feel that we are not alone in this world with our super thick curly hair!! ;) :magic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgeSPW_YUtc
I really liked this video for some fun styling ideas!! ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWLG4EmdDPc
I love in this video when she says she loves her hair big and voluminous at the end of the video! My feelings exactly! ;)

When I just leave my hair to dry down, it dries and looks just like hers...exactly!! ;)

Beborani
February 12th, 2016, 09:04 AM
I had this hair when I waa a teenager and I hated it then--the texture, the thickness and though I wanted it long (it was around classic) I was frustrated that I could never wear it out even for a few minutes. It got a lot of attention even when braided but I didn't really care. So I cut it--didn't help much and then I lost much of thickness which actually made handling easier except for some scalp cleavage here and there. I was happy and never missed it. Only when I lost even more hair that I tried to get some of it back and now and am in a sweet place where it is nice average thickness with no gaps. Sorry, not much help but I am prepared this time around if I do get that thickness back with all the curly girl techniques and products. If all these things were available to me then I may have been happier with my hair back then but that is the past. I will let you go on as I don't belong here now.

hennalonghair
February 12th, 2016, 09:05 AM
Thanks LCT,
I'm really glad you are happier with your hair now. You have beautiful curls and thickness also.
The Shea butter is the one thing that saves my hair but everyone is different. I use it every morning before my updo and every night before bed and my ends are much much happier. I don't use much at all. Maybe 1/2 to a pea sized amount rubbed into my hands and plopped into the ends.
It does seem like hair grows better when all the same length but it can cause that triangle look at the bottom if you don't tame it down. Your hair does look much healthier and I don't notice any difference in the length; only that it looks nicer.

LongCurlyTress
February 12th, 2016, 09:46 AM
Hi Beborani! No worries! I appreciate your posting your hair-story! ;) The super iii thickness really does change the curly girl "experience" alot as to adding to the degree of taming that mane! I am glad yours has calmed down and you like it better now. That is great!! Do you know what you did so it is now thinner? My hair seems to fall better as it gets longer since the weight seems to hold it down. Also, with my thickness, layering is a horrible idea as the top halo layers just spring out wildly, and not in a good chic way... Layers work on ii thickness very nicely as some here on LHC have noticed when they layered into their hair to avoid that triangle head look. I find that letting my hair calm down in a bun, any bun, with some evoo gets rid of the dreaded triangle head look! ;) I am growing out my layers as you might know. The recent trim really helped with getting rid of those thinner ends from the layering, but in a couple more months, I will have that back due to the layers growing out. Why did I do that?? ugh oh well!! What is done is done! :rolleyes: Thanks for posting about the shae butter and how much you like to use. Hennalonghair--someday I will have your thick hemline... I hope! :p

hennalonghair--Do you find that your ends stick together like glue after using the shea butter on them? I hate that, especially when detangling the next day after using any kind of leave in. But I am wondering if the Shea Butter glues the ends down too, or just smooths them out? Thanks!

hennalonghair
February 12th, 2016, 11:38 AM
........ Double post

hennalonghair
February 12th, 2016, 11:40 AM
Hi LCT,
No the Shea butter does the opposite which is why I use it. Once the ends start drying out, which they do, they become rougher and rub against each other which causes more damage. The Shea butter smeared and rubbed into my hands and plopped into the ends at first causes my hair to clump together some but it doesnt stick like glue. It's more like an omelette in a new Teflon pan. It sticks but slides apart. I use it before updos and before bedtime. By mornings by my hair if back to being sift and fluffy.
Hope it helps.

LongCurlyTress
February 12th, 2016, 11:54 AM
Hmmmm... :confused: I am going to be near a Whole Foods store today. What is the brand of Shea butter that you are using? Any special type? It sounds quite like a holy grail hairproduct would work... taming frizz and dry ends but still allowing hairs to slide apart. Thank you so much! :happydance:

Btw, does yours have amino acids/silk protein or any form of protein in it? Thanks... if so.. then its a no go for me.;(

I am wondering would margarine work? Just a pea sized drop? LOL!! :D

On second thot, please still share the brand of shea butter you are using but I just washed my hair and I do already use evoo just a dimesized amount on my ends everyday. Doesn't really hold the frizz down on the rest of my hair but it does leave my ends nice and moisturized. ;)

Beborani
February 12th, 2016, 12:20 PM
Hi Beborani! No worries! I appreciate your posting your hair-story! ;) The super iii thickness really does change the curly girl "experience" alot as to adding to the degree of taming that mane! I am glad yours has calmed down and you like it better now. That is great!! Do you know what you did so it is now thinner? !

Well, I may never know! I had health issues which made my hair shed--I may have lost 4 or 5 time s the thickness or more--who knows. I lost even more around menopause when it became pitifully thin which is when I used Rogaine. It has grown back enough to make me happy--I won't complain if I get more as so many people go through so much pain with sheds and loss. Anyway most of my life experience has been with thinner hair as my mom was in charge of my hair when it was thick and long--that is how it was done those days. My hair was always in two braids except for washing--it was only washed with shikakai or chickpea flour--no shampoo. And then kept lightly oiled with coconut oil until next wash cycle when it was heavily oiled just before wash. It all sounds very nice and earthy and idyllic but for a young preteen/teen looking at shampoo commercials wondering at all other possibilities it was not fun at all. When I did get to play with commercial products it was not at all as I imagined--haha--back to coconut oil I go!

LongCurlyTress
February 12th, 2016, 12:26 PM
Well, I may never know! I had health issues which made my hair shed--I may have lost 4 or 5 time s the thickness or more--who knows. I lost even more around menopause when it became pitifully thin which is when I used Rogaine. It has grown back enough to make me happy--I won't complain if I get more as so many people go through so much pain with sheds and loss. Anyway most of my life experience has been with thinner hair as my mom was in charge of my hair when it was thick and long--that is how it was done those days. My hair was always in two braids except for washing--it was only washed with shikakai or chickpea flour--no shampoo. And then kept lightly oiled with coconut oil until next wash cycle when it was heavily oiled just before wash. It all sounds very nice and earthy and idyllic but for a young preteen/teen looking at shampoo commercials wondering at all other possibilities it was not fun at all. When I did get to play with commercial products it was not at all as I imagined--haha--back to coconut oil I go!

I am really sorry you have been through so much...That must have been horrible and scary to loose so much hair....But now all is good? ;)

Beborani
February 12th, 2016, 01:02 PM
I am really sorry you have been through so much...That must have been horrible and scary to loose so much hair....But now all is good? ;)

No worries--it's all good.

LongCurlyTress
February 12th, 2016, 01:16 PM
No worries--it's all good.

Yay!! :disco:

LongCurlyTress
February 13th, 2016, 10:04 AM
Hi LCT,
No the Shea butter does the opposite which is why I use it. Once the ends start drying out, which they do, they become rougher and rub against each other which causes more damage. The Shea butter smeared and rubbed into my hands and plopped into the ends at first causes my hair to clump together some but it doesnt stick like glue. It's more like an omelette in a new Teflon pan. It sticks but slides apart. I use it before updos and before bedtime. By mornings by my hair if back to being sift and fluffy.
Hope it helps.

Update re the Shea Butter....So, while I was in Whole Foods yesterday, they had a small sample jar of organic SB and I tried the pea sized amount like you use, melted that amount inbetween my palms and spread it on my length especially on my tips. It did shine my hair up nicely, but after it dried/hardened, it felt like when the coconut oil hardens and then the ends stuck together. So... I guess I will just stick to...lol.. using my coconut oil on the ends once the weather warms up and it becomes liquid oil again. At least I tried the SB!! ;( I appreciate your thoughtful suggestion. ;) Thank you.:blossom:

I also tried the Desert Essence leave in for curly hair, and it also dried and left my ends feeling stuck together. Guess I will just stick lol... to my evoo and sweet almond oil in the winter and my Coil in the summer when the air temp makes it liquid oil. ;)

hennalonghair
February 19th, 2016, 11:18 PM
Hey you,
Ok first off I'm sorry the Shea butter did not work for you but I've never used Shea butter on its own like that nor do I apply it on my hair like that. When I read that you spread it on your hair it was like shudder: :nono:
I think everyone's hair is so different in texture , density, porosity and thickness that we all need our own formula. I don't expect what works for me to be the same combination of things that works equally well on yours. Your hair is much curlier than mine but Ive got coarse, dry, porous hair which could very well make our hair quite similar, especially on the ends.
I use a brand of Shea butter from MAIGA and it's got Shea butter, coconut oil, lemon grass oil and palm tree wax extract in it and it smells nice. I usually mix this with a few sprays of my diluted conditioner which softens up the butters and waxes and prevents them from hardening. Buy a travel size spray bottle from the dollar store and fill it 1/4 full of your favourite hair conditioner. Fill the rest up with pure water and shake it up. Mist your ends slightly every morning and every night. If you find its too much then spray a bit in your hand rubs hands together and plop the ends. You know what I mean by plopping?
That's when you just gently and lightly bounce your hand into the ends of your hair to moisten your ends and freshen up your curls. You don't grab at your hair at . Your ends should land in various places while you move your head area. I usually end up rubbing the last amount into my hands because they can always use some TLC.
You must know as a curly girl that our hair loses it's curl at the ends if they get too dry so in MPO it's best to use products often instead of trying to do it all at once. A drop or so of aloe really adds some slip.
I think the diluted conditioner keep my ends from sticking but since I've been doing this I've had no issues with dry split ends. I don't use much Shea butter but it's always mixed with other stuff.
I think perhaps once you get the right combination that just feels right for you and you start learning to use less, but more often , you might find that all this stuff really does work well.
The only curly leave in I ever use, and I have run out of it is , Be Curly by Aveda BUT even that I dilute down with other stuff otherwise it's just too intensely curly for me. I rarely use them but when I want to rock my curls I sure do. I've read great reviews with Deva Curl also. No cones etc.
Another thing I do often is just wet my hands, spray some diluted conditioner, just one spray and lightly dampen my ends. It helps refresh my curls. Do this once or twice a day and see this difference it makes. Everyone's got a favourite conditioner and who's to say it can only be used after shampooing?
I hope it helps you LCT :blossom:

Hairkay
February 20th, 2016, 05:00 AM
I guess I'm in the thick curlies group. Nice pics everyone. Chen's own with her hair in one reminds me a bit of my own. My thickness is about 4.5 inches. I call it ii/iii. I've always had my hair BSL since I was a toddler and it shrank to shoulder or just below the shoulders. I only started wearing it up last year so now it's MBL (looks just past APL with shrinkage). I keep to water only hair washing daily or ever 2/3 days mostly washing it in plaits. I finger detangle and oil (coconut/olive oil and almond oil) my hair ends daily. Once a week I'll do a conditioning treatment using fruit puree or alternating with coconut milk or fenugreek or yogurt for a light protein conditioning. Every 3 months I'll swap the light protein condition for a henna gloss. No commercial hair products for me due to allergy problems. I've taken to annual trims. The last time I just cut the ends of my plaits (dusting).

When I was a teen I did have a point where I wished my hair was less thick but mostly I'm happy with the thickness. My mother's own is thicker than mine and so is a cousin's and a niece's. Mother said she used to have hair thinning hair cuts when she was a teen.

I think waist/hip length will suit me. It'll look BSL with shrinkage which I'm fine with.

LongCurlyTress
April 26th, 2016, 09:11 AM
This thread is kind of dying a slow, thick lol death.. so please lets continue on this other thread... http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=96338&p=3215952#post3215952

See you over there on the gorgeous curlygirl thread! ;)