PDA

View Full Version : Same story different face: BANGS OR NAH?!

MINAKO
February 6th, 2016, 09:17 AM
Hi hi y'all!!
I have a question i can only trust my expert LHCers with, tbh i don't even want to ask any of my friends irl cause nobody is into hair like we are, so on their terms i'm boring and change is good... No matter what, they'd even say yes to a bleach blonde sidecut.
Sooo, my hair is doing really well, it is healthier than ever, has thickened up a timy bit because i hardly expirience tangles ot breakage and theres no dryness, just a bit of my natural texture showing through when airdryied so it looks a bit messy, but that can bea easily styled.
I'm really thinkong of sacrificing some for bangs finally. Buns are a dream to make but so heavy and i'm tired of the all pulled back look. Parts are only nice when hair is down but before i say anything more i'm just dropping an amateurish picture i edited on my phone, just good enough so you will get the idea. I might buy some clip in bangs before i cut but i need you to throw your opinions on me now. (My hair is airdryed and wrapped around my neck lol)

http://i1153.photobucket.com/albums/p506/Nori_Ko/CFC0CC07-0696-49A3-92D0-4CE233537F94_zpstjeyseyq.jpg (http://s1153.photobucket.com/user/Nori_Ko/media/CFC0CC07-0696-49A3-92D0-4CE233537F94_zpstjeyseyq.jpg.html)

missrandie
February 6th, 2016, 09:34 AM
I personally love your face with no bangs, but perhaps bangs would look good too.

Do you want the blunt bangs, or heavy bangs, or light bangs, or side swept ones? I've personally had blunt and heavy, blunt and light, and side swept. I think the side swept bangs were my favorite on me,but the freedom of no bangs is overwhelming my urge to cut them in again.

For what it's worth, here's one of my old bang styles, last time I had hair as short as it is now.

https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xaf1/v/t1.0-9/fr/cp0/e15/q65/26211_376943322236_5916162_n.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=1cfb95b96c396d67a55486c5344ecfcb&oe=573C5843

parkmikii
February 6th, 2016, 09:34 AM
I would go for no bangs.. your face is really pretty and you don't have a huge forehead to need bangs. The fringeless picture looks better in my opinion. But you are the only one who can decide for yourself though XD

Estrid
February 6th, 2016, 09:37 AM
I think both ways look great :) Would you be able to have such straight and neat bangs if your hairtype is 2a? I suppose you could always style them that way if your hair don't do it naturally. My bangs sure doesn't like looking good, they make this curved shape out of my head... erm.. is the C is the bangs and the | my forehead..this is how it looks C|, which isn't pretty, haha!
But back to you, as I said, both look nice. The harsh bangs makes you look more edgy while the picture without bangs looks more soft/cute.

I cut own face framing layers and some soft bangs for a similar reason, I think I look strange with all hair pulled back. I wish I looked good without them, because I like a harsh look better, but it just doesn't suit my face. I think I will grow out the bangs a bit, maybe all the way to the face framing layers, because they hate me.

poli
February 6th, 2016, 09:49 AM
I love bangs on others and on myself. And straight hair = easy bangs. But you need to ask yourself do they suit your overall style and than decide.
I first tried out bangs on bob length hair so they where extremely easy to grow out because I hated them. The hairdresser back then couldn't understand I wanted blunt heavy and long fringe not wispy textured see through horror.

MINAKO
February 6th, 2016, 10:03 AM
Thanks alot for swaleating thins out with me, haha. I know it will be a pain to grow them out, thats why i need to be realistic and think about keeping them long term.
I want a rather heavy blunt fringe, think AKB48 (japanese girlgroup with the. Classic schoolgirl cut) so triangle based and then hitting between brows and lashes. My hair is so easy to style now so it would take like 5 minutes longer in the morning or i just quickly twist them up or make a pouf or something.
I like my forehead, but the look of all hair back is so harsh sometimes, especially with glasses. I'm really reluctant to buy a fake one even if its only to try, cause i know it will be looking slightly fake anyways. I will apply the two week rule from today on and see.
I had bangs before, actually very similar but not just as blunt and a little bit rounder, that was at shoulder length tho. So yes, its all grown out by now.

spidermom
February 6th, 2016, 10:30 AM
I don't like the straight, full bangs that you photoshopped, but another style might be nice. Bangs aren't that big a pain to grow out. Once they get too long to wear as bangs, they're long enough to stay in a small accent braid if done with just a dab of gel. I'll also put a pretty hair-pin (a bobby pin with a "jewel" glued on) over the beginning of the braid to make sure they don't pop out. I've had light layered bangs for several years now but am growing them out - they're at bottom of eye length now - not because I don't like the bangs but because I need a change.

lapushka
February 6th, 2016, 10:32 AM
You drew the bangs on, but they are quite thick, so it won't look like that, you will have to sacrifice a lot of your thickness to them, so the side pieces won't look as they do in the picture (more like gone or thinned out).

I like the no-bangs look, personally. Much more flattering on you, IMMHO. :)

Wavelength
February 6th, 2016, 10:36 AM
Personally I don't think bangs suit the contours of your face as well as no-bangs. So my vote would be to skip the bangs.

MidnightMoon
February 6th, 2016, 11:39 AM
No bangs in my opinion

MidnightMoon
February 6th, 2016, 11:48 AM
Also, about the whole thing with the no bangs look being harsh...
I sometimes feel ugly specially when wearing my hair in a bun or ponytail as I part in the middle. I feel my forehead is large, or the look isnt favouring to me. I tried yesterday making a normal ponytail but instead of having all of my hair contained when I was done securing it, with a comb I carefully combed my temples (as to leave dome hair hanging, framing my face), I think most people have finer and shorter hair in this part. You could try doing the same, its literally just the few hairs right around your hairline and going down to your ear.
You could perhaps try this, it made my face look nicer, and more feminine and delicate. If your hair is wavy the effect is even more noticeable. If its not, try twisting hair in your fingers or a curling iron.

meteor
February 6th, 2016, 11:48 AM
Yay, so great to see you back on the LHC, MINAKO! :cheer:

First of all, bangs tend to need daily styling and they are a great commitment (especially if you want to grow them out all the way to extreme lengths), so if you are considering bangs, I'd *definitely* get those clip-in bangs first to try out and play with. ;) Also, check out YouTube videos that show how to create faux bangs, with updos and whatnot... I know Loepsie did a great one, but also Kayley Melissa and many, many other Youtubers.

Looking just at those 2 photos, I think both look fantastic, but the no-bangs look is a bit more like classic beauty and the picture on the right more edgy/youthful maybe? But it hides the face quite a lot, so that might be a balance problem (if there is such a thing?) when combined with thud-worthy hair that is already a great statement and can steal attention away from the face? I don't know, it's hard to tell, but I'd just experiment with clip-in bangs first, for sure! :D

Belle Paix
February 6th, 2016, 11:52 AM
I personally love your face with no bangs, but perhaps bangs would look good too.

Do you want the blunt bangs, or heavy bangs, or light bangs, or side swept ones? I've personally had blunt and heavy, blunt and light, and side swept. I think the side swept bangs were my favorite on me,but the freedom of no bangs is overwhelming my urge to cut them in again

Oh this! I cut bangs about 6 months ago. They looked cute, but I just hate the need to constantly style them! They're finally long enough I can put them up again. I'd vote no, but you'd look cute with them if you decide to cut!

Kake
February 6th, 2016, 11:55 AM
No bangs x 100

Beborani
February 6th, 2016, 11:58 AM
How about sectioning your hair in v in the front and pull back (clip it if needed but can be added to bun without it too)--will create faux bang side-swept look and you can see realistically how much hair is lost to the bangs.

yahirwaO.o
February 6th, 2016, 12:13 PM
You could try fake bangs either with your hair pulled back in a bun and let the ends cover-positioned down your forehead or buy some fake ones from your local beauty story.

And it would be a nightmare because you already chemically straighten your hair, wavy bangs would look awkward and you might ended up damaging your front bits a lot.

Side longish bangs are universally flattering and a good place to begin. Blunt asian doll bangs are great look, you certainly have the face to pull it off so throwing some fake hair is great without making such big commitment.

Mitzy
February 6th, 2016, 12:49 PM
I vote no bangs, but both look good on you. I have just grown mine out after having them FORever, though, so I'm biased.

MINAKO
February 6th, 2016, 12:58 PM
Spidermom and Lapushka, yes its looking really thick but its loterally a sticker from an iphone toy app. Thats all i had but i will attach a picture showing how much hair i am realistically willing to sacrifice from my thickness. There will still be enough hair left. Probably not even noticable especially in a bun.
The thing is, it has to be straight bangs or none. Sideswept is only nice up to a certain lenth and softer and layered might suit my face too but i want a bit of geometric look. The straight line also widens my face a bit.

Meteor, the probalem is finding clip in bangs that look realistic, most are bad quality or to thick or the lace area too large. I will try again to find some that i like.
Styling then is really not the problem, cause i could deal with clipping them back but be assured i have perfect hair when it's all down. Or just wear the bangs very neat and my regular bun.

Yahirwa, i don't have damage from the keratin, quite the opposite, it made my hair heavier but also softer and easier to manage. It couldn't break fast enough in an area where its just a couple inches long to begin with.

Ok hes the pic, just imagine the two side pieces longer and whispier, not so chopped off. Thats exactly what i would want.

http://i1153.photobucket.com/albums/p506/Nori_Ko/9CE63A00-A170-4CC5-8FDC-FB0FA81946A7_zpspdqtjzzy.jpg (http://s1153.photobucket.com/user/Nori_Ko/media/9CE63A00-A170-4CC5-8FDC-FB0FA81946A7_zpspdqtjzzy.jpg.html)

missblueeyes
February 6th, 2016, 01:10 PM
When your hair is down, I definitely prefer it without bangs but since you hardly wear it that way (if I recall that correctly), I'd say go for it! I'm 95% sure they'd suit you really well and you've been wanting them for such a long time now... :)

-Fern
February 6th, 2016, 01:32 PM
I like Beborani's idea--try using your own hair to do fake bangs first! Here's a video to several styles you could try:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcmOB9_WnWM

henné
February 6th, 2016, 01:38 PM
I think that bangs would look great on you. The only thing I disliked about bangs was that they irritated the skin on my forehead - making it more oily. And also since my hair is wavy, I had to style it nearly all the time, which sucked ... But besides that, I loved bangs.

MINAKO
February 6th, 2016, 01:45 PM
If i can't find the perfect clip in with a matter of two weeks i will probably cut. The reason why i didn't like my bangs previously was mainly because i didn't got the hang of how to style them perfectly, let alone the rest of my hair. The difference in texture was just too drastic. But i learned alot and know my tools and products by now.
A big plus would be that i can forget about my brows completely. I will just trimm them and thats it.
The updo bangs look nice on the girl in the cideo but that means i have to straighten my entire hair every time i want something around the face. If i do that too often the length and ends will catch some damage for sure.

meteor
February 6th, 2016, 02:06 PM
Meteor, the probalem is finding clip in bangs that look realistic, most are bad quality or to thick or the lace area too large. I will try again to find some that i like.

If i can't find the perfect clip in with a matter of two weeks i will probably cut. The reason why i didn't like my bangs previously was mainly because i didn't got the hang of how to style them perfectly, let alone the rest of my hair. The difference in texture was just too drastic. But i learned alot and know my tools and products by now.

If you can't find good quality clip-in bangs (I think they mostly use synthetic hair and colors can be limited), you could DIY it :), for example: http://www.xovain.com/diy/diy-clip-in-bangs
You could get a weft of natural or very realistic-looking hair that matches yours as closely as possible and sew your own clip-in bangs. ;) There are lots of YouTube videos for this, as well.
And it's relatively easy to create the faux bangs look with buns as well (again, on YT ;) )

yahirwaO.o
February 6th, 2016, 02:32 PM
If you can't find good quality clip-in bangs (I think they mostly use synthetic hair and colors can be limited), you could DIY it :), for example: http://www.xovain.com/diy/diy-clip-in-bangs
You could get a weft of natural or very realistic-looking hair that matches yours as closely as possible and sew your own clip-in bangs. ;) There are lots of YouTube videos for this, as well.
And it's relatively easy to create the faux bangs look with buns as well (again, on YT ;) )

Oh my...... what a neat work this girl has done! :soapbox: thanks for sharing meteor

I was just going to suggest that pretty much any fake hair you buy, it needs some kind of shaping, it hardly ever looks perfect when you first try it on. (aKA hideous bad wig effect lol)

Thanks MINAKO for pointing out that! If that treatment has just made good to your hair, then I see why not try to cut them real. In case everything fails, you can just pin them, rock a nice headband or lace braid them back!

butterflybutton
February 6th, 2016, 02:43 PM
I love bangs! And it is easy to pop them back with a bobby pin or two on the days that you don't feel like having them. That's what I do, and I have the same shape bangs that you are considering.

cat11
February 6th, 2016, 03:21 PM
I love bangs! And it is easy to pop them back with a bobby pin or two on the days that you don't feel like having them. That's what I do, and I have the same shape bangs that you are considering.

I used to have the same style bangs! I loved them. Even though my hair is textured I found that using a big round brush on them periodically as they were drying was enough to make them end up the right shape and style. It worked better than straightening which left them TOO straight.

I think that they would look good on you! Of course it's my favorite style of bangs. And I like the face widening effect they have. Makes the face look cute and round. With your length though, they would take a looong time to grow out. I am growing out bangs like those, I started when my hair was chin length, I have barely trimmed them at all (less than an inch total in dustings) and they are still not caught up with my now almost hip length hair, which I have been trimming, about 3-4 inches since I started growing my hair out and getting rid of the bangs in 2012.

Robi-Bird
February 6th, 2016, 03:40 PM
I think you look cute either way. I do love blunt, thick bangs.

I myself feel I look better in bangs. I don't really style them. When they are shorter they hang down, when they are longer they get swept to the side. They get cut when they get caught in my glasses. They do get dirty/oily faster so they get washed when I wash my face.

Echileruwen
February 6th, 2016, 03:42 PM
I think your face looks better without bangs. I wear bangs to cover up wrinkles, a problem you don't have. :)

If you do decide to wear bangs, don't forget that they can be really, really annoying when they get long enough to get into your eyes, and if you have oily skin, they can cause your face to break out in that area.

Kaelbu
February 7th, 2016, 08:20 AM
I say if you prefer the way they look on you and don't mind maintaining them, go for it!

I cut bangs into my hair last September because I already had new growth around my hairline after a postpartum shed, which looked like very thin, wispy, short bangs already. In truth, I've clipped them back more than I've worn them down. It's nice that in an up do, they can, essentially, go away.

I guess one thing to consider is whether you're okay with your hair not being all one length for a very long time. Bangs will grow into face-framing layers quickly enough, if you don't mind that, there isn't a whole lot of risk, in my opinion. :)

mermaiden_hair
February 7th, 2016, 08:34 AM
I think a light side bang would look better than the thick, blunt, straight-across look. :D

Upside Down
February 7th, 2016, 08:47 AM
Bangs are cool for updos. They soften the look and the do looks more styled instantly.

They are a little more work but with keratine even I after one application need like 5 minutes to style them every 5 days.

But when hair is down, with really long hair, it can look, well, overwhelming. Like it closes the face.

They really are not so much pain to grow out at all.

cosmic crusader
February 7th, 2016, 08:53 AM
I'm in the minority but I LOVE the blunt bangs, on you and myself and other people. Such a cute style!

restless
February 7th, 2016, 09:09 AM
I think youre really cute without the photoshopped bangs, but youre also very cute with them. Personally I probably wouldnt cut them in though. I know you have straight, keratin treated hair right now, but roots come in quickly and Im thinking that soon enough you might find yourself having 1 inch wavy roots in those straight bangs (because I just assume you dont go through the treatment every single month?). As a fellow wavy/wurly, I know how much styling it takes to make short, wavy bangs behave and thats why I dont recommend it.

elvenelk
February 8th, 2016, 12:37 AM
I agree with most here. your hairline is something to really show off its basically perfect. My forehead alternatively could land a boeing 747. So I require side bangs in order to balance my face. But in the end you would look good any way so why not go ahead if you want to.

Mirabele
February 8th, 2016, 12:54 AM
you are so beautiful and shape of your face shape is good for any style. it is a matter of taste, and for you to decide what you want. i don't have any preference, you look as good with as without. i can relate when you say you want to soften look or give some change, i think bangs are good for that. and if you get bored of that, it is not a permanent solution, you can always grow it again. only things to consider, i would say no bangs are easier maintenance, bangs require a bit styling, so consider how are you willing to spend time for that, also, if your hair gets oily (bangs will show that fast), also whether you wear hats or helmets, (i had bangs several times, and i always looked wierd after taking off cap/hat or helmet:P). also, how are your hair behave after a night sleep - whether you sleep alone or are comfortable that another person may see you with some weird style you haven't planned :)

Daydreamer.
February 8th, 2016, 01:00 AM
I think you look good with or without bangs.

turtlelover
February 8th, 2016, 02:11 AM
I think you would look fine with some kind of bangs, but those super blunt, thick ones look rather harsh and unflattering to me. Maybe try something more wispy and texturized?

bunneh.
February 8th, 2016, 02:42 AM
On that particular picture your face shape looks extremely beautiful (long, slim, v-shape, i can only dream :( ) and I like both styles, but I honestly think blunt bangs make you look cuter. Try faux bangs (https://youtu.be/ehBJo-T4IwI) to see how you like them or buy those clip in bangs and see how much you use them but once you cut them they might look different, harder to style and a pain to grow out if you're not a fringe lover.

Red.
February 8th, 2016, 03:40 AM
Minako full bangs will look great on you.

I don't know why people think bangs are high maintenance. Bangs are very forgiving. If they get too oily, just pull the rest of your hair up and then wash them in the sink, condition, blow dry with a round brush and you're good to go. I love bangs because the rest of your hair can be up, out of they way, dirty or whatever...and all you need to do is make your bangs look nice to look presentable. All this takes less than five minutes to achieve. They're especially nice if you wear your hair up a lot, they soften the whole look.

I just really love bangs and think they would really suit your face. :)

Edit: The only thing I can think of that's a real pain in the butt is cutting them constantly. If you can't cut your own bangs nicely or have someone to cut them for you, I'm not sure they're a good idea. Also...beware of cutting too short. Ugh. I've done that once or twice and had to wait it out until they grow out. Looked ridiculous.

emilia1992
February 8th, 2016, 03:48 AM
I think that whether or not a fringe will work on you depends on your hair type too. I've got dead straight Asian hair, and when I had a fringe several years ago, my hair remained so stubbornly straight that it kind of stuck out at a slight angle to my face, even though my fringe was below eyebrow length. The only way which I could get it to sit flat-ish against my forehead was to blowdry it every morning using a round brush. Then of course the hair went dry, and the ends of the fringe stuck out even more. In the end I grew it out.

Of course, I don't know your hair texture and how it behaves, but it's worth playing around with the ends of your hair in a fake fringe style to see if a fringe will end up meaning a lot of maintenance, or if you're the type of lucky person who has hair that hangs down rather than sticks out! :)

MINAKO
February 8th, 2016, 05:20 AM
Thanks for all your suggestions! <3
I see how the blunt bangs are not everyones cup of tea, but i love the geometric eyebrow concealing look.
Also they can be flicked sideways and out of the face with a flatiron or rollers.
I would just trimm them myself with one of these small crea clips, so it's not really that difficult.
The thing i am worried about is skin issues, i don't have any now but i wouldn't want to break out on my forehead due to the bangs.
I looked up clip in ones again and the ones that look the most realistic are not attached in these wefted rows but look like a lacefront wig and a freaking expensive, like 345 euros haha. Thats way too much. But i think i will also ask my friend in japan if they can check there at some wig shop. They usually have stuff that pays crazy attention to detail while it's still affordable.

Mufasa
February 8th, 2016, 06:54 AM
Based on just that photo, I prefer the no bangs look on you. However, I think that you look great either way and that the decision is ultimately yours. The main difficulty that you are having, is not how they will look ... it's that the faux bangs don't look real and the photo doesn't do it justice (you are fine with styling time, and you love the look yourself). I know that someone posted a faux bangs tutorial, but if you haven't seen this one yet, Loepsie made one using just her hair and two bobby pins if you'd like. It's right here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YW7I4N03dzk)

Can I just say, that I really love your hair. I have an curly,difficult to work with texture like you, so I have been researching a lot about the keratin treatments and your input to the keratin thread has been really helpful. I don't know if I'll ever have the guts to do it myself, but I never say never ;) Can I ask, how often do you wash your hair and do you straighten or style with simply a round/paddle brush? I don't think upkeep of bangs will be an issue for you because you are great at styling your hair and don't seem to me like someone that would get lazy about taming them after every wash.

sarahthegemini
February 8th, 2016, 08:47 AM
I love a good blunt fringe!

MINAKO
February 8th, 2016, 09:21 AM
Mufasa, yes the photoshopped version just serves to give an idea. Also my hair in the original is a bit flat cause it is really oily coming down from a bun pre wash. I like to not style the length too often but the bangs really just take a fee minutes and i need to fix my bun nearly in the same way every day anyways. I'm never really in that much if a rush that i go for alternatives.
I think i could even keratin the bangs seperately more often than i do my hair overall.
Washing is really low maintenance for me right now. I CO wash twice and deep condition once a week or even less. My hair doesn't really get dirty as it is up all the time and my scalp doesn't produce any noticeabke amounts of sebum.
Doing the treatment myself is really easy. It just takes alot of time and patience going through the small sections. I set up two mirrors and have all my tools on a big towel before me while sitting on a pillow on the ground. Took about 6 hours maybe the last time but at the salon it woukdn't be significantly faster or better. Just 10 times more expensive.
When i style it straight i airdry it in two braids or twists to 90%, then quicky run a hot air brush on the lowest setting through to make sure its comepletely dry and smooth out the pattern. Then i run a straightener over bigger sections like 2 times each.

poli
February 8th, 2016, 09:40 AM
The thing i am worried about is skin issues, i don't have any now but i wouldn't want to break out on my forehead due to the bangs.

That depends what skin type you have, if you generally oily it could be a problem but if your skin is dry I don't think bangs will make you break out. Do you get break outs on your back or neck from the hair touching it?

MINAKO
February 8th, 2016, 10:22 AM
That depends what skin type you have, if you generally oily it could be a problem but if your skin is dry I don't think bangs will make you break out. Do you get break outs on your back or neck from the hair touching it?

I have combination skin, super dry cheeks and sometimes a bit oily on the nise and forehead. My skin usually doesn't break out just like that but is easyly irritated. Like the tiniest amount of coconut oil on my hands from a prepoo can make a fair nimber of blemishes if i'm not careful. Never had any breakouts on my neck or back tho, but my bidy skin is extra dry i'd say.

Deborah
February 8th, 2016, 11:20 AM
I think your face looks prettier without the bangs.

chen bao jun
February 8th, 2016, 11:28 AM
I think you look better with no bangs, mostly because the bangs hide your eyebrows. However, I think you might like yourself with bangs better because I know you love to have a Chinese/Japanese vibe about your looks, and the bangs make you look, not Asian exactly, but kind of Asian flavored. If that makes sense.

I remember when I was in Taiwan and went to a Chinese hairdresser to get a relaxer (which she had never done before but did the best job on me ever, so strange--I had brought the relaxer from the US), she put this style of bangs that you photoshopped on me, and goodness, it made me look Asian flavored. I personally wasn't going for that, so got rid of them quickly, but I think it would probably make you very happy, and as many have said, you are pretty either way.

I don't think bangs will be a pain. You're a iii thickness so they are not going to take 'too much' thickness away, in terms of, you will still certainly look thick. they are not a pain to cut. I cut my own all the time--or used to (kind of growing mine out now--maybe). You can see exactly what you are doing in the mirror right in front of you, I have never had a problem at all. I don't see why the fact that you keratin would be a problem either. Your bangs don't grow any faster than the rest of your hair, so it wouldn't change the timing of your keratin treatments at all. Its actually easier to keep healthy bangs when you are doing artificial things to your hairthan it is to keep the rest of your hair healthy. Because you cut bangs frquently, you trim any damage off routinely. Even when my hair was very damaged, I used to enjoy feeling my bangs, so much softer than the rest of my hair.
Hope this helps but in the end of course its up to you.

lauren_alia
February 8th, 2016, 12:35 PM
Spidermom and Lapushka, yes its looking really thick but its loterally a sticker from an iphone toy app. Thats all i had but i will attach a picture showing how much hair i am realistically willing to sacrifice from my thickness. There will still be enough hair left. Probably not even noticable especially in a bun.
The thing is, it has to be straight bangs or none. Sideswept is only nice up to a certain lenth and softer and layered might suit my face too but i want a bit of geometric look. The straight line also widens my face a bit.

Styling then is really not the problem, cause i could deal with clipping them back but be assured i have perfect hair when it's all down. Or just wear the bangs very neat and my regular bun.

Yahirwa, i don't have damage from the keratin, quite the opposite, it made my hair heavier but also softer and easier to manage. It couldn't break fast enough in an area where its just a couple inches long to begin with.

Ok hes the pic, just imagine the two side pieces longer and whispier, not so chopped off. Thats exactly what i would want.

http://i1153.photobucket.com/albums/p506/Nori_Ko/9CE63A00-A170-4CC5-8FDC-FB0FA81946A7_zpspdqtjzzy.jpg (http://s1153.photobucket.com/user/Nori_Ko/media/9CE63A00-A170-4CC5-8FDC-FB0FA81946A7_zpspdqtjzzy.jpg.html)
I was going to vote no bangs until I saw this picture. It's pretty cute, and I think it would suit you. And your hair is thick enough you could cut in bangs and still have thick hair and massive buns.

MINAKO
February 8th, 2016, 10:17 PM
Chen, as much as i admire the aesthetics. Not gonna lie to myself, no hairstyle will make me look more asian than the 1/4 i am. It's definitely not gonna look as cute on me as it does on on the girl i put as an example. But it will widen my face, emphasize cheekbones and also get me off my ibsession with eyebrows. I'm sure i won't invest half as much time as i do nkw in them if i can't see them on most days.
I sectioned the part out i would have to cut and can definitely feel the decrease in thickness, which i don't really like but then again i'm not sure if i really see it, especially as hair tends to look overall fuller with bangs.
Everything i did to my hair in the past 2 years made me like it even more and there were zero setbacks. So doing this will either be another success or i will oainfully regret it after a few weeks. When i first had my bangs it wasn't that much of a difference to grow out. I have 12 more days to think lol.

poli
February 8th, 2016, 11:48 PM
My skin usually doesn't break out just like that but is easyly irritated.
I think you will be fine, but might want to keep hair products away from fringe and wash it more often than rest of hair to avoid oils on forehead.

chen bao jun
February 9th, 2016, 05:33 AM
Chen, as much as i admire the aesthetics. Not gonna lie to myself, no hairstyle will make me look more asian than the 1/4 i am. It's definitely not gonna look as cute on me as it does on on the girl i put as an example. But it will widen my face, emphasize cheekbones and also get me off my ibsession with eyebrows. I'm sure i won't invest half as much time as i do nkw in them if i can't see them on most days.
I sectioned the part out i would have to cut and can definitely feel the decrease in thickness, which i don't really like but then again i'm not sure if i really see it, especially as hair tends to look overall fuller with bangs.
Everything i did to my hair in the past 2 years made me like it even more and there were zero setbacks. So doing this will either be another success or i will oainfully regret it after a few weeks. When i first had my bangs it wasn't that much of a difference to grow out. I have 12 more days to think lol.

Actually, MINAKO, you will definitely look as cute or cuter as the girl in the example. You've got a face very suitable for that childlike big eyed anime look.

Are you a quarter Asian? Maybe that's what gives you that kind of 'vibe'.

I've got absolutely no East Asian ancestry, but when I was there, people kept asking if I did. I blame the big dollop of Central American Indian that gives me almond shaped eyes (though they're green) and cheekbones high high up on my face. But it might just be having dead black hair and olive toned skin; people very often do not look past the impression your coloring gives to your actual features.

bunneh.
February 9th, 2016, 06:54 AM
Another thing to consider might be how bangs/fringe would make you feel. For me bangs make me feel younger and cuter and just more like myself so that's why I have them. But you might want to test that first before you cut your own hair lol, I just go for it and hope I don't regret it, but if I do then eh, it grows back. But so far I have never regret my choices regarding hair too too much.

MINAKO
February 9th, 2016, 07:12 AM
Chen, my grandfather is straight up indonesian but immigrant to latin america of course, my grandma is black sprinkled with a bit of german and probably some other european or native too, that's hard for me to tell as i don't have contact so i sadly can't ask more specifically. But southeastasian look is very different from east asian, more exotic and a bit fiercer looking in general. That's what people expect from me too, but i don't quite fit the category.
I also have the almond shaped eyes, it also shows in my hair texture and skin... Aren't american indians asian to begin with? I highly believe in that theory and looking at people i often wouldn't be able to tell if it wasn't for cultural references.

Bunneh, i wan't to snip snip snip right now!! :))) But i will wait it out and probably be patient enough to do the clip in thing and take more pics before i decide.

chen bao jun
February 9th, 2016, 09:09 AM
You are an interesting mix and it worked out so that you are a beautiful and unusual looking young woman. I know from experience that the 'unusual looking' part can be hard, but it is what it is. I am lucky to have some relatives who are unusual looking, just like me, but don't see them much. I did this past weekend and how relaxing it is to be somewhere where I don't get the 'what are you?' or the 'that's your mother?' (combined with looks of complete befuddlement, so exhausting).

I have read that Native Americans came over the Bering Strait from Asia to the Americas thousands of years ago, but to me they don't look like the Asians you see in Asia, not any kind of them (yes, Indonesians look nothing like Chinese or Japanese--although in the case of Chinese they look REALLY different depending on what part of China they are from. It's a large and very diverse country. Native American often have almond eyes (which Chinese can have) and high cheekbones and of course they have coarse textured hair that is very dark, black in a lot of cases (not all) but I've never ever seen one with an epicanthic fold, which is quite common in China, though not at all unversal and even possibly not the majority of people (though it's hard to tell due to popularity of eye altering operations); Chinese skin color ranges, but they are never anywhere near as dark as your average Native American (this would not apply to Indonesians, of course); Native American features are just generally much more prominent and pronounced, especially their noses and they don't have the small boned build that's common in China, at least the ones where I live don't, they are muscular and 'sturdy' if that makes sense. There are more solid boned people in China, of course, too, but it seems much less common that the slighter build.

This is all just what I have seen, not scientific, of course. And there are many different native American peoples as well as many different Asian peoples. I'm really only extremely familiar with Chinese--and I've been to Japan, though I didn't stay there long enough to say I was as familiar. And so far as Native Americans, I know what the Central American/Latin American ones look like very well, but don't know a lot from the U.S., for instance, or South America. Places where they are of course diverse. So take my observations with a large grain of salt.

Good luck on the bang decision. Again--beautiful either way so don't stress too much. Which it doesn't sound as if you are. :)

Chen, my grandfather is straight up indonesian but immigrant to latin america of course, my grandma is black sprinkled with a bit of german and probably some other european or native too, that's hard for me to tell as i don't have contact so i sadly can't ask more specifically. But southeastasian look is very different from east asian, more exotic and a bit fiercer looking in general. That's what people expect from me too, but i don't quite fit the category.
I also have the almond shaped eyes, it also shows in my hair texture and skin... Aren't american indians asian to begin with? I highly believe in that theory and looking at people i often wouldn't be able to tell if it wasn't for cultural references.

Bunneh, i wan't to snip snip snip right now!! :))) But i will wait it out and probably be patient enough to do the clip in thing and take more pics before i decide.

yahirwaO.o
February 9th, 2016, 05:43 PM
Aren't american indians asian to begin with? I highly believe in that theory and looking at people i often wouldn't be able to tell if it wasn't for cultural references.

Well based on the theory, certainly some native indigenous people are physically very much like to some south asians. (Wouldn't even notice the difference between some philippines and some indigenous mexicans to be honest, apart from being Spanish colonies).

In hair terms, the natural silky dark hair is very much like but I think Asian people is way dead straight deep black hair and Native people has the slightest wave dark brown to it (like mine :P) Of course this is not generalization, some of my group dancing people have glorious pin straight hair and some asian folks have beautiful waves!

However, I do think you have that Asian Doll look MINAKO, thats why I think blunt bangs can look terrific on you!

MINAKO
February 13th, 2016, 09:35 AM
It just happened for me recently that i'm actually able to somewhat tell other southeast asians apart. Nobody i know in my family but my grandpa is truly representative but my grandpa and apart from food there really isn't much of the original culture preserved as most of them migrated over and over again with the biggest bunch living in the netherlands. So they've always been darkskinned mixed folks as well to me, my uncles wife is thai, my cousins wife is korean, but as Chen said, i basically made my japanese friends the asian part of the family to learn from.
Indonesians can be quite diverse in skintone too, in case they are not in the bleaching train it's ofter just like medium chestnut brown african skin. When it comes to hairtexture i have seen anything in asians up to natural 3b curls.
My eyes and faceshape definitely changed growing up, before i had monolids with a tiny bit of epicanthic fold, but they seem to be changing individually now, one being slower than the other but eventually almost similar to my german moms eyeshape.
I will straighten my hair next weekend and if i'm successful making the iverall thing work with clip ins i will just cut right after. It's just hair... Right?! Hahaha, so hard to say but yepp!!

chen bao jun
February 13th, 2016, 01:39 PM
Interesting that Indonesians live in the Netherlands. They seem to have got everything over there. I know there are a bunch of Dutch West Indians (Suriman, Curacao, Aruba) living in Holland, owing to my family (by marriage) and my husbands family both having relatives of that sort over there, mostly mixed race, nobody that we would call dark-skinned over here (although it might be different there. As I know from experience, what is considered light or dark skinned depends on where you are).

does skin bleaching actually work? I knew people who were into it back in the 1960's, then it went out of style among black people over here. And of course in Taiwan the girls would do it (desirable for a girl to be fair over there, the opposite for a male). I never knew it to work. I'd see people applying that hydroquinone night after night and staying exactly the same color (but acquiring rashes, etc.).

Like most people (see above) I kind of relate 'light' or 'dark' to my own complexion. (From your photo at the beginning, we would be very similar in skin tone if not the same. Although of course one can't really tell that from a photo. some of my photos look way lighter than I am in person and some darker). I think of white people as being 'dark', in fact, unusually dark, if they are naturally somewhere around my color, that is, without a tan (I've never seen that in a Northern European but there are definitely Italians, people from Spain and that area in the ballpark); I think of black people as being 'light' if we match up and used to think of that as rare, but nowadays with all the biracial people, its not anymore; Chinese people my complexion weren't rare at all in Taiwan (although any girl my color was desperately slapping powder on), but Taiwan has a lot of South Chinese, shorter and darker, when I was in Beijing, 99% of people were not only lighter than I am, but way lighter, actually white (but without the pink tone of Caucasians) was not uncommon at all there. I haven't met a ton of Indonesians, but they all have been definitely darker than me and most often quite noticeably darker, that's why I think they are dark. so--very subjective, yeah.

Looking forward to seeing pics of your hair next week, as I said, going to be fine either way, you're very pretty.

hairpleasegrow
February 14th, 2016, 01:32 AM
No bangs you look better without in my opinion. But if you are determined go for it !

Piewee
February 14th, 2016, 01:52 AM
Interesting that Indonesians live in the Netherlands. They seem to have got everything over there. I know there are a bunch of Dutch West Indians (Suriman, Curacao, Aruba) living in Holland, owing to my family (by marriage) and my husbands family both having relatives of that sort over there, mostly mixed race, nobody that we would call dark-skinned over here (although it might be different there.

Yup, Holland is very multicultural and the great thing to me is that you can stay true to your own culture and religion if you like. Meaning that the variaty of food is amazing:-) I'm dutch and lived here my whole live, no mixed background, but am glad I got to know many diff cultures within my own country. I'm on a baseball team and most teammates are from curacao and surinam:-).

chen bao jun
February 15th, 2016, 07:14 AM
This is quite OT, but yes Piewee, the various Dutch colonial places have amazing food and what is nice outside of Holland is that they have influenced each other. Thus, my family from Suriname cooked a lot of Indonesian food, I remember nasi goreng especially.
Interesting you are on a baseball team, my aunt (who is not Dutch, she is mixed race from another place in Central/latin America) met my uncle from Suriname when he was on a (recreational, not professional) baseball team that she used to come watch here in America back in the 1950's. He was so great, my other aunt (her sister, they are both my father's sisters) went and found another man from Suriname and married him, that's why I had this in my extended family.

Here in the US the stereotype of anything to do with the Netherlands is blue eyes and blond hair and my cousins had a great deal of trouble getting anyone to accept their having some Dutch heritage. Even being Dutch-speaking, etc. People would describe them as 'Hispanic' in spite of all their protests about it. My husband has some of that background, too and the rest of his background is Spanish speaking but he is dark-skinned so gets called 'black' (and people used to be very very astonished to hear his very multilingual father speaking perfect Dutch, or as a matter of fact when he spoke Spanish), but my cousins have the look that people associate with being biracial (olive skin, dark curly hair, not afro curly but definitely curly) and people would insist that they must be Hispanic in spite of the Dutch last names and the fact that they are bilingual English/Dutch.

truepeacenik
February 15th, 2016, 08:09 AM
Continuing the OT line, the Dutch were the colonial power in Indonesia for a long time. The English and Dutch were the main powers in Southeast Asia, with the exception of Goa (Portuguese, and the last site the office of the Inquisition used in the early 1800s) and some French holdouts.
Indigenous Americans likely have two sources, some over the Bering Strait, living as far south as Mexico, but also some people who either truly are indigenous or have some Polynesian roots in South America. An exciting thought that helps explain some language groups.

As for Minkao's fringe, I think it chops your face too short and squat with the heavy bangs. I would go for clip-ins to do it as an occasional thing.

chen bao jun
February 15th, 2016, 08:20 AM
Continuing the OT line, the Dutch were the colonial power in Indonesia for a long time. The English and Dutch were the main powers in Southeast Asia, with the exception of Goa (Portuguese, and the last site the office of the Inquisition used in the early 1800s) and some French holdouts.
Indigenous Americans likely have two sources, some over the Bering Strait, living as far south as Mexico, but also some people who either truly are indigenous or have some Polynesian roots in South America. An exciting thought that helps explain some language groups.

As for Minkao's fringe, I think it chops your face too short and squat with the heavy bangs. I would go for clip-ins to do it as an occasional thing.

Fascinating. I'm always interested in language groups--and yes, this would explain some things. Off to look it up.

The Dutch had a lot of colonies. I don't know why this is not well-known in the US. They had colonies in Africa, too. Notably South Africa, but people miss this because they don't realize that the Afrikaaners were Dutch.

The Dutch East India Company was hugely important in the 17th century and the Netherlands was a great world power at that time, as well as very important so far as trade was concerned. This is of course the period of Rembrandt and many other great Dutch painters (art is an area in which they definitely excelled) and Rembrandts paintings quite often show the burghers who got wealthy from international trade, posed with their possessions such as carpets from Asia, wearing pearls, with imported porcelain in the background, etc. etc.

Heck, the Dutch even owned New York City (and a lot of the state of the New York, and the in New York, the oldest wealth and the most ingrained aristocracy is still Dutch descent. You hear it in their names, still, after 300 years. 'Van' this or that, as well as names very famous in American history, like Roosevelt.)

dollyfish
February 15th, 2016, 08:26 AM
As someone who has had bangs most of my life and who continually grows out and cuts in again and also struggles with deciding... I have some pros and cons to share~

Pros (of bangs): hide eyebrows (low maintenance), hide forehead (if you have acne), CUTE
Cons (of bangs): hide eyebrows (hides prettiest/most expressive part of face), makes face look squat and wide, harder to style (more effort in the morning)

Bangs look CUTE, no bangs looks BEAUTIFUL. So, it really depends on what your overall look is and what image you want to project. Do you want to be beautiful, or adorable?

Personally, I think your forehead area is perhaps the best part of your face. You have a perfectly proportioned oval face, and bangs would hide that. I have a really low, flat forehead so I have a hard time growing out bangs even when I want to.

BUT if you're set on bangs I can't stop you lol.

Piewee
February 16th, 2016, 02:13 PM
Not sure your looking for a guys opinion here:-) but what dollyfish says makes sense to me about the nice oval shaped face. So indeed mayne first try with the clipins for a occasional diff look without having to cut it.

And to chen bao jun, when I was in NYC I was surprised how little new yorkers knew of their history, since the dutch founded the city:-) I guesed that was common knowledge..New Amsterdam it was called then.

adrenaline
March 19th, 2016, 05:15 AM
And, how did you decide? The last days I'm thinking about to cut bangs similar to your suggested ones, too. Unfortunately my face is not oval, but round shaped, so I don't know. I remained to cut my slanting bangs (is this the right word for bangs like these?: http://bit.ly/1TWbimO) even shorter, but actually i want them like these: http://bit.ly/1UHwcoz http://bit.ly/25aU4pz http://bit.ly/1Rakcan :cool:

parkmikii
March 19th, 2016, 06:14 AM
And, how did you decide? The last days I'm thinking about to cut bangs similar to your suggested ones, too. Unfortunately my face is not oval, but round shaped, so I don't know. I remained to cut my slanting bangs (is this the right word for bangs like these?: http://bit.ly/1TWbimO) even shorter, but actually i want them like these: http://bit.ly/1UHwcoz http://bit.ly/25aU4pz http://bit.ly/1Rakcan :cool:

I think those are (long) side swap bangs ^^

bunneh.
March 19th, 2016, 07:26 AM
adrenaline I have round face with wispy bangs (like the ones Zooey Deschanel has) and it makes my face look much nicer than when I had hair all the same length. It looks more oval and nicely proportionated now, before it looked like my face was pear shaped (narrow forehead because my hair hid the sides of my forehead, big, round chubby cheeks and round jaw). So these bangs are definitely a keeper for me. When I first cut them they were more blunt and I had a lot more hair in my bangs so after more than a year I decided to grow them out and cut a smaller portion into bangs again (I wanted to grow them out so that I would not accidentally cut more and more hair into bangs as I maintained them) and the growing out part was horrible. I wore my bangs as side swept bangs and I didn't like the look of them with my face at all and I couldn't wait to cut my bangs again because I didn't like myself with side swept bangs at all.

Before you decide to cut anything think about how your hair/face looks like now. If you think you look good with your hair as it is now I wouldn't recommend you cut it, unless you want to and don't mind growing them out. When deciding to cut, go for long side swept bangs you posted in pictures and see if you like them. You can always cut ordinary blunt or wispy bangs if you have longer side swept bangs, but it will take half a year+ for bangs to grow out to be cut into long side swept bangs.

Mega Moose
March 19th, 2016, 07:43 AM
If you had bangs before and liked them okay, that's at least a plus! It just depends on if you want then all the time or not. Or if you want to deal with them when they get all greasy and stringy against your forehead. I have pretty straight hair, but bangs didn't work the way I thought they would on me because 1. My forehead is pretty small 2. I have strange cowlicks everywhere that make it impossible for them to sit the way they should. So mine are staying long forever now. XD Just try to remember in the past if there were any factors like that which were frustrating that you might not think of now.

Wusel
March 19th, 2016, 08:45 AM

Do you want the blunt bangs, or heavy bangs, or light bangs, or side swept ones? I've personally had blunt and heavy, blunt and light, and side swept. I think the side swept bangs were my favorite on me,but the freedom of no bangs is overwhelming my urge to cut them in again.

For what it's worth, here's one of my old bang styles, last time I had hair as short as it is now.

https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xaf1/v/t1.0-9/fr/cp0/e15/q65/26211_376943322236_5916162_n.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=1cfb95b96c396d67a55486c5344ecfcb&oe=573C5843

THE BABY!!! SOOOOOOO CUTE!!!!!!! And wonderful dark hair!!! :crush:

chen bao jun
March 19th, 2016, 09:26 AM
Oh, I clicked on here thinking MINAKO might have updated, wanted to see pics.

For what it's worth, I just bit the bullet and got rid of my bangs. They had been growing out for a while and I was having to curl my hair (I already have curly hair, I was curling the curls) to keep them. I have had band for 50 years, that's not a misprint 50 YEARS. But I'm kind of loving life without them. My forehead doesn't feel greasy the time anymore, you can see my widows peak so you can see my face is heart shaped--I think I look much better with them gone, once my hair is down.

I jsut still feel a little insecure when my hair is up , I feel kind of barefaced and like its a bit of harsh look. I had similar bangs to the kind MINAKO asked about, except they've been curly for a while. I had pretty much the same style bangs (not the rest of the hairdo, when my hair was straightened--but now that 's over 16 years ago).

I'm so curious about what she decided.

LongCurlyTress
March 19th, 2016, 09:31 AM
I also let my bangs grow out and now they are reaching collarbone length and I love not having to deal with them. But, I do think I look better with bangs since I have a high forehead... ugh... It is always a dilemma for me!!!! Cut bangs or not to cut bangs? LOL!! :rolleyes:

Petulia
March 19th, 2016, 11:06 AM
I love bangs but I always find that the hair starts to get greasy and starts to look stringy unless I keep restyling it with a round brush. Anyone know how to get around this so I can wear bangs out all day without having to brush them out again?