PDA

View Full Version : Chelating, holy cow--and acidic rinse question

hairandtherian
February 5th, 2016, 06:28 PM
I live in a hard water area but I had no idea about mineral buildup on hair until I read about it here. I chelated for the first time (with Joico) a few months ago and it was amazing. I hate the smell of vinegar so I meant to get some citric or ascorbic acid for final rinsing but never did. My hair texture had been getting kind of waxy and the ends were like velcro again so I chelated again yesterday and my hair is AMAZING. It's so soft and silky and slippery, although it also lost a lot of volume, sigh. Well, I did condition even at the scalp, that was probably it!

Do you think it was all mineral buildup in the approximately 4 months since I chelated for the first time? Or could it have been buildup of the many products I've used at different times for moisture on my damaged ends (no silicones, but generic Matrix balm, jojoba oil, mineral oil, Manic Panic, V05 conditioner...)

I did do a vinegar rinse after chelating yesterday (it was in the LHC instructions although I don't recall if I did it the first time) and I was pleasantly surprised that no vinegar smell lingered. I did it before the lengthy conditioning process which I'm sure helped cover up the smell--but then when rinsing the conditioner I got mineral-y water in my hair again!!

I'd love to know if people think it's more likely to be mineral buildup, or product buildup? Would I'd benefit more from an acidic rinse (and it should be the very last thing, right?), or perhaps from doing a clarifying shampoo more frequently, maybe getting one of the cheaper clarifying shampoos rather than using the expensive but great Joico?

Of course maybe it's both!

Thanks for any thoughts you can share.

missrandie
February 5th, 2016, 08:29 PM
I think it could have been a combo between regular buildup and mineral build up.

You can try a different clarifying shampoo, or even another chelater like Ion Swimmers shampoo. Also, Suave Daily Clarifying would be a nice cheap one to check out.

Maybe try clarifying once a month or every 6 weeks? Or heck, every other month?

MeAndTheMaz
February 5th, 2016, 09:41 PM
To the best of my limited knowledge, chelating and clarifying are different animals. Chelate for minerals and clarify for product build-up.

I have fairly hard water, and I do an ACV rinse after I'm otherwise done in shower. Last thing. No after rinse, and the vinegar smell does go away when your hair is dry, so you should be able to get away with it every time.

hairandtherian
February 6th, 2016, 12:29 PM
I think it could have been a combo between regular buildup and mineral build up.

You can try a different clarifying shampoo, or even another chelater like Ion Swimmers shampoo. Also, Suave Daily Clarifying would be a nice cheap one to check out.

Maybe try clarifying once a month or every 6 weeks? Or heck, every other month?

Thanks, Missrandie, especially for the shampoo names--I knew some had been named on the forum but I was going to have to look them up.

hairandtherian
February 6th, 2016, 12:31 PM
To the best of my limited knowledge, chelating and clarifying are different animals. Chelate for minerals and clarify for product build-up.

I have fairly hard water, and I do an ACV rinse after I'm otherwise done in shower. Last thing. No after rinse, and the vinegar smell does go away when your hair is dry, so you should be able to get away with it every time.

Thanks for the tip on the vinegar rinse. I really can't stand ACV so I'll try with white vinegar and hope it really does go away.
The chelating shampoo I currently use is also clarifying but I don't know if that's true for all chelating shampoos.

meteor
February 6th, 2016, 12:41 PM
Yes, I agree that it could be a combination of both mineral build-up from water and build-up from products (especially if you use styling products, but other products can obviously cause build-up, as well).
The good thing is that Joico chelating shampoo is also a clarifier, and it's actually called "Clarifying" (http://www.joico.com/products/k-pak-clarifying-shampoo-2/) but it's supposed to fulfill both functions. If you love it, keep using it. ;) It should last quite a while, if you don't use it too often.

As for vinegar, I've never had an issue with white vinegar rinse smell lingering, but I always use it well diluted. ACV can add a slight (temporary) reddish tint over time, so I prefer white vinegar or citric acid.

hairandtherian
February 6th, 2016, 10:00 PM
Thanks, meteor. Yeah, I had to call Joico to be sure before ordering the shampoo since they used to have a separate one called Chelating. Their shampoo does work well for me so I should stick with it, but I do like to make expensive things last for ever and ever so I may try a cheaper shampoo at some point.