PDA

View Full Version : Hair Headache?

SaraJayne
February 5th, 2016, 06:56 AM
Hi folks, just wondering if anyone has experienced this and what the alternatives might be...

After reading lots of information last night I decided to use coconut oil and then wash my hair. I never normally do this in the evening. I got lovely curls and wanted to preserve them overnight, so I put my just-dry, fine, collar bone length hair in a loose ponytail on top of my head. I didn't sleep well, but that's a common occurrence for me so I didn't immediately put it down to anything I'd done differently.

This morning, my curls were better than usual after sleeping, but as the morning went on, I became increasingly aware that my head is really hurting, right on top, slightly to the left, not like a headache, just my scalp hurting. It feels painful and sensitive at the same time. My neck aches a lot too, but again, I get this a regularly and especially when I don't sleep well.

I'm fairly sure the scalp pain is due to last night, but my ponytail was really lose and my hair isn't heavy. I liked the results so I want to do this again, but I don't want the scalp pain. It's almost 2pm here, I took it down at 6am and it still hurts quite a lot. Does anyone have any suggestions (other than man up and put up with it :D)

Thanks

bunneh.
February 5th, 2016, 07:35 AM
I get headache like feeling all over my scalp after wearing a high ponytail for a couple of hours, but my hair is much thicker, longer and heavier so I don't wear it at all these days. I'm guessing it was because the roots usually always lay flat facing one direction that making them lay in opposite direction causes soreness or pain, but my hair might just be really stubborn. I wouldn't know exactly what the problem would be with your hair/scalp, but making ponytails often may cause some damage and/or breakage, especially since you have finer, arguably more fragile hair. Perhaps ponytail was slightly pulling in one spot?

missrandie
February 5th, 2016, 07:53 AM
It could be that your hair follicles didn't like being directed up all night.

I used to get aches like that, especially if I had my bangs in a pouf, or if I change my part.

Amapola
February 5th, 2016, 08:15 AM
I will concur, I think it's because your follicles weren't used to your hair being in that direction. This can happen too when you try out a new style and your hair is different than what you are used to. It does go away, your hair will get "trained" to this new thing and get used to it and adjust. I comb my hair up over the top of my head every night now to put it up for the night, and my hair is just very used to it now so no problems. I guess you just have to decide if you can get through the "training" period. Your curls sound amazing, I wish you luck in your growing!

pastina
February 5th, 2016, 08:27 AM
I woke up with this exact thing this morning, and it's because I bunned significantly higher than normal to sleep! Hair is weird sometimes! :p

lapushka
February 5th, 2016, 09:16 AM
How tight did you make that pony. Just wrapping it once around should do, it's only meant to "gather" the hair, not secure it in place tightly.

SaraJayne
February 5th, 2016, 10:58 AM
Thanks for the comments, everyone. I let it down at 6am this morning, it's now nearly 6pm and it still hurts just as much, and I've now noticed the area also feels much warmer than the rest of my head, as though the skin is really irritated :eek: I do have sensitive skin, but I'm amazed to have caused myself such a problem with a pony tail, for goodness sake. What a wimp! Pastina, has your scalp/headache eased off now?

Bunneh, Missrandie, it must have been that. I'm now wondering if a hat, maybe something akin to a shower cap, would do the same kind of thing more gently.

Lapushka, it was really, really loose. I used a Kitsch fabric hair tie which I only wrapped twice. My pony circumference is so tiny it would not have stayed in at all if I wrapped it once.

Amapola, I don't think my curls are amazing yet, but I'm determined that they will be eventually. Thanks for the good wishes, I don't think I'll be doing that again in a hurry, though *ouch*

lapushka
February 5th, 2016, 11:17 AM
Hmmm... :hmm: Maybe try a satin bonnet? Or sleeping on a satin or really soft pillowcase.

Anje
February 5th, 2016, 11:24 AM
Top-of-the-head stuff does that to me too. Crown braids in particular like to kill about one quarter of my scalp. I don't like high styles enough to bother training my scalp, so I generally just ignore it, or plan to wash after wearing my hair up like that. For whatever strange reason, washing seems to reset grumpy hair follicles.

meteor
February 5th, 2016, 11:29 AM
It's pretty normal. I get scalp pains whenever the hair is moved or placed in unusual spots or at new angles. And anything tight on scalp (very tight Dutch/French braids, tight buns, tight sectioning) is basically guaranteed to cause issues.
I get this problem every time I try a new updo or new placement for a bun. Ponytails can be particularly problematic at greater lengths, I find.
The best thing to do is to take hair completely down, massage the scalp very gently and then either leave it loose or loosely braid hair (not starting too close to scalp) and leave the braid hanging for a while. The pain should subside. ;)

Another thing that I noticed is that you mention that you decided to oil your hair and you left the oil in overnight... :hmm: Did you oil the scalp, too? When roots get greasy or oiled, they can often hurt a bit, too. It's not the same feeling as when buns or ponytails pull, but it's also that discomfort that can cause pain and can be alleviated by a good scalp massage (use fingers and/or scalp massagers, BBBs, brushes, whatever feels comfortable and isn't snag-prone) and by washing the scalp thoroughly.

I hope your scalp will feel much better soon! :pray:

SaraJayne
February 5th, 2016, 11:31 AM
Lapushka, I recently bought a satin pillowcase, which is an improvement on my old one as it left my hair less tangly, but trying my hair up was better still in terms of not crushing my curls and waves. I think the satin bonnet will have to be my next experiment.

Anje, thanks for the tip. Might have to wash this evening as it's just not settling down at all!

pastina
February 5th, 2016, 11:36 AM
Hmm.... mine let up already. I hope you get some relief, soon, too! :blossom:

SaraJayne
February 5th, 2016, 11:44 AM
Meteor, you've made me think. I didn't actually leave the oil all night, but I did do a lot of things prior to sleeping which I never normally do:

Detangled gently with a wide tooth comb
Oiled with coconut oil from roots to tips
Tipped my head upside down and wrapped my hair in clingfilm (not too tight)
Put a knitted hat on
Left it for about 2 hours
Washed twice (because I needed to as the coconut oil didn't all come out first time) with Hello Hydration (only second time I have used this)
Used a Maria Nila hair mask (used this a few times before with good results and no sensitivity)
Used L'Oreal Thicken Hair deep conditioner (have used this loads)
Air dried as normal
Tied up loosely
Slept (badly)

So most of that was new. I've had headaches/scalp pain from wearing my hair up tightly before and it's one of the reasons I almost always wear it down, but I've never had it as bad as this before, and it usually subsides once I let it down, but I've had it loose all day. However, any combination of the new things I did could have sensitised my scalp, I guess. Maybe it was not just the pony tail.

I shall try massaging and then washing. Thanks very much for the info and tips!

SaraJayne
February 5th, 2016, 11:44 AM
Thank you Pastina, glad yours is OK

velorutionista
February 5th, 2016, 11:58 AM
Just chiming in to say my hair does the same thing in top-of-the-head styles. It seems to depend on how long it was up (i.e. I can get away with piling it on top of my head in the morning and wearing most/all day, but if I put it up the night before, I start suffering by noon the next day). Washing seems to "reset" everything (I always thought that was wierd, but it sounds like I'm not the only one that works for--yay!)

meteor
February 5th, 2016, 12:03 PM
Meteor, you've made me think. I didn't actually leave the oil all night, but I did do a lot of things prior to sleeping which I never normally do:

Detangled gently with a wide tooth comb
Oiled with coconut oil from roots to tips
Tipped my head upside down and wrapped my hair in clingfilm (not too tight)
Put a knitted hat on
Left it for about 2 hours
Washed twice (because I needed to as the coconut oil didn't all come out first time) with Hello Hydration (only second time I have used this)
Used a Maria Nila hair mask (used this a few times before with good results and no sensitivity)
Used L'Oreal Thicken Hair deep conditioner (have used this loads)
Air dried as normal
Tied up loosely
Slept (badly)

So most of that was new. I've had headaches/scalp pain from wearing my hair up tightly before and it's one of the reasons I almost always wear it down, but I've never had it as bad as this before, and it usually subsides once I let it down, but I've had it loose all day. However, any combination of the new things I did could have sensitised my scalp, I guess. Maybe it was not just the pony tail.

I shall try massaging and then washing. Thanks very much for the info and tips!

If your skin is actually irritated and sensitized (not just general scalp discomfort or pain from pulling/heaviness), then I wouldn't massage it anymore or do much else at all - I'd just wait and see. :flower:
I've bolded the parts of what happened that I think could contribute to the problem - it could be a combination of things, not just putting hair in a pony. It could also be that all that extra oiling, keeping it in a warm hat, extra washing and extra deep conditioning meant that your skin stayed wet for too long, which could irritate sensitive skin. I'd leave it alone for a while and monitor the situation. If it doesn't get better in reasonable amount of time (a day or two), it might be worth seeing a doctor. :flower:

Also, I'd leave hair down for now, since that's what your scalp is used to or in a very loose, very comfortable style (say a loose braid or 2 loose braids or whatever feels light).

Best of luck! I really hope your skin will feel much better soon! :D

SaraJayne
February 5th, 2016, 11:26 PM
Velorutionista, thanks, seems we are not the in only ones to suffer and I am about to wash this morning and really looking forward to the reset!

Meteor, I definitely think you are right, I'm now sure it was a combination of factors resulting in my skin being sensitive and my scalp being pulled in a way it didn't like. I massaged very gently last night then left it be and slept with it down. It's much improved this morning but feels a little bruised. I'm going to CWC this morning with my normal products, air dry and leave it alone for the weekend!

Thanks so much for all the help, everyone. I feel so silly. Lesson learned though. Don't mess with too many variables at once!

LillithTheFirst
February 6th, 2016, 03:10 AM
It's gotten to a point with me where it's very uncomfortable to sleep with a high bun - it's too heavy. I either do a braid or tuck the loose hair into a sleeping cap.

SaraJayne
February 6th, 2016, 03:43 AM
I could understand more if mine was heavy, but I have tiny hair! It's only collarbone length and is very fine. Goodness knows what would have happened if it was longer and heavier!

LillithTheFirst
February 6th, 2016, 05:32 AM
Hm, I couldn't only think maybe you pulled it too tight. maybe make it looser???

Carolyn
February 6th, 2016, 06:29 AM
When that happens to me I give myself a nice gentle scalp massage and wash my hair. Takes care of it every time. I often have an achy scalp when I haven't washed my hair for 2 or 3 days and it's getting greasy.

embee
February 6th, 2016, 06:39 AM
I found that I needed to alternate topknots and low buns fairly frequently for my scalp to be accustomed to the change in direction. Usually a washing would settle things down, but sometimes just brushing and leaving loose was sufficient.

meteor
February 6th, 2016, 12:04 PM
Velorutionista, thanks, seems we are not the in only ones to suffer and I am about to wash this morning and really looking forward to the reset!

Meteor, I definitely think you are right, I'm now sure it was a combination of factors resulting in my skin being sensitive and my scalp being pulled in a way it didn't like. I massaged very gently last night then left it be and slept with it down. It's much improved this morning but feels a little bruised. I'm going to CWC this morning with my normal products, air dry and leave it alone for the weekend!

Thanks so much for all the help, everyone. I feel so silly. Lesson learned though. Don't mess with too many variables at once!

Yay, I'm so happy to hear the scalp is already feeling better! Phew, what a relief! :)
And hey, that's nothing to feel silly about! This happens to many, many people. And some have extremely sensitive scalps and their skin would rebel if they kept it wet or oiled even for a fraction of that time, without even trying any new styling... Some can only tolerate a very limited number of styles, or else their scalp hurts... It's all about adjusting to individual scalp's needs. ;)
I really hope your scalp will feel completely healed and happy soon! :cheer: