PDA

View Full Version : Aloe vera gel

CreatureBailey
February 4th, 2016, 09:05 PM
So am I the only one who just takes aloe vera gel (that can also go in hair) to moisture the ends of my hair? I was putting aloe vera gel in the ends of my hair at school and other girls saw me and they were like ''What are you doing'' and then when it absorbed I made them touch my hair and they were like ''it's actually soft''. XD

HeartofHaleth
February 4th, 2016, 09:13 PM
Hmm...I should try this... I'm suspicious that my beloved coconut oil is making my ends crunchy :(

parkmikii
February 5th, 2016, 01:53 AM
I do this too sometimes :)
Also you can try a SMT with honey, conditioner and aloe gel, it works really good to moisturise the ends.

ChloeDharma
February 5th, 2016, 09:22 AM
Aloe is a great leave in. I find it even better with a drop of oil like jojoba added to it.

Obsidian
February 5th, 2016, 10:23 AM
Year ago I had a hair dresser tell me to stop using conditioner and instead use a spray bottle filled with water and chunks of aloe leaf. You keep it in the fridge so it doesn't mold too fast. I keep meaning to try aloe juice for a leave in since I have quite a bit on hand.

velvet orchid
February 5th, 2016, 01:32 PM
I can't find aloe vera gel in my area (at least not without colourings and preservatives) so instead I use aloe vera juice and it's AMAZING!!! I'd been considering going back to cones for a while as no amount of conditioner, treatments or oils could soften it or stop it from looking fluffy and dry. Since trying aloe my hair has become so silky smooth and so much more manageable.

*sorry for sounding like an infomercial aloe is just a bit of a holy grail to me* :p

HeartofHaleth
February 5th, 2016, 03:06 PM
O
I can't find aloe vera gel in my area (at least not without colourings and preservatives) so instead I use aloe vera juice and it's AMAZING!!! I'd been considering going back to cones for a while as no amount of conditioner, treatments or oils could soften it or stop it from looking fluffy and dry. Since trying aloe my hair has become so silky smooth and so much more manageable.

*sorry for sounding like an infomercial aloe is just a bit of a holy grail to me* :p

I just tried this today! It seemed to work really well, the fluff just went right out of my hair!

copperlites
February 5th, 2016, 03:14 PM
Since running out of aloe I've been using home made flaxseed gel. I find this makes my hair amazingly soft and shiny and really brings my curls to life, without making them crispy crunchy.

-Fern
February 6th, 2016, 07:58 AM
I use aloe vera gel instead of hair gel most of the time, and it has definitely made the hair at my crown softer. :o

CreatureBailey
February 8th, 2016, 10:20 PM
I'm glad to hear it works. :) I find it absorbs really quickly in the hair too! :)

Ethelpea
February 10th, 2016, 06:12 AM
Another aloe gel user here! I use it straight up as a pre-styling gel or mixed with glycerin and/or jojoba on the ends. It really takes care of dryness and frizzies.

lexia
February 10th, 2016, 07:20 AM
Oooo... I have never heard of doing this! Will give it a try - thanks for the tip! :)

Nellon
February 10th, 2016, 07:44 AM
I just sat down after repotting my four aloe vera plants and opened up the LHC and came straight across this thread :) Went and cut a leaf off, put on my ends and wauw! This really works! :D

ladyshep
February 10th, 2016, 08:12 AM
Aloe Vera seems to make my hair grow real fast for some reason...

cosmic crusader
February 10th, 2016, 08:14 AM
I love aloe vera gel on my scalp, but it breaks my ends really quickly if I use it further down my length. It's fine mixed into an SMT though :hmm:. Maybe it's the climate in my area? I'm glad it works for most of you though!

lexia
February 10th, 2016, 08:16 AM
Can anyone reccomend a good brand of aloe vera gel or will any type do? I have an aloe vera plant but... it's not in great shape due to me neglecting it slightly :(

lapushka
February 10th, 2016, 10:30 AM
Can anyone reccomend a good brand of aloe vera gel or will any type do? I have an aloe vera plant but... it's not in great shape due to me neglecting it slightly :(

Where in the EU are you? Maybe you have to see what you can get locally.

lexia
February 11th, 2016, 03:41 PM
I ended up trying it with the gel from my aloe vera plant! Scraped it out of the leaves, blended the gel up with some grapeseed oil and massaged into my scalp! Started googling after reading this thread and found this video - the part I used begins at 1:26 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yp_F_Z_-eo Left it on for 30 minutes and rinsed with my usual shampoo and conditioner. My hair is super soft and scalp seemed to like it so I think I'll continue using the plant itself - a bit of watering has surprisingly brought it rapidly back to life!

DarkChocolate
April 27th, 2016, 11:53 AM
I started using aloe vera from the plant on my scalp and length and I love the effects. My hair is softer and very moisturized.

*Seraphina*
May 1st, 2016, 02:21 AM
I love aloe vera gel as a leave in! It makes my hair very soft. I use it on my scalp as well sometimes, it doesn't make it greasy but it give the scalp hydration.

Wusel
May 1st, 2016, 04:27 AM
Okay... I'm placing an order on amazon.
Does anyone of you know this brand? Is it a good one? It's from USA.

http://www.amazon.de/ArtNaturals-Aloe-Gesicht-Haare-K%C3%B6rper/dp/B0128PJ7T4/ref=sr_1_4?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1462098344&sr=1-4&keywords=aloe+vera+gel

Horrorpops
May 1st, 2016, 04:35 AM
I've only ever seen aloe gel in like a burns cream before tinted green. I'll keep looking for pure aloe gel... Maybe I'll try and buy an aloe plant or some gel online...

Curly276mom
May 1st, 2016, 10:32 AM
Just do a test with the gel on your skin before spreading it everywhere. .. I learned the hard way that instead I soothing, aloe is highly irritating to my skin with painful red hot marks where the aloe was on my skin. Ouchy.

Wusel
May 1st, 2016, 10:36 AM
Just do a test with the gel on your skin before spreading it everywhere. .. I learned the hard way that instead I soothing, aloe is highly irritating to my skin with painful red hot marks where the aloe was on my skin. Ouchy.

Really...? I didn't know that Aloe can be irritating. Good to know! Thank you! :flower:

Silverbleed
May 1st, 2016, 10:37 AM
Oh I've never tried this before. Do you apply the gel on dry or damp hair?

MlleMC
May 2nd, 2016, 08:51 AM
Okay... I'm placing an order on amazon.
Does anyone of you know this brand? Is it a good one? It's from USA.

http://www.amazon.de/ArtNaturals-Aloe-Gesicht-Haare-K%C3%B6rper/dp/B0128PJ7T4/ref=sr_1_4?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1462098344&sr=1-4&keywords=aloe+vera+gel

From what I've read on another thread, you'd better find clear gel, the green one has additives that you don't want.
Other than that, aloe isn't usually irritating for the skin, on the contrary it's normally very soothing (it works wonders on sunburns).

CoveredByLove
May 2nd, 2016, 08:14 PM
I recently discovered another use for aloe. (Love how versatile it is!) I've been using it as a gentle face wash and scalp massage for two weeks. Both my face and scalp have cleared up! I've been struggling with clogged pores and scalp buildup issues for a while. I'm currently using Kinky Curly Spiral Spritz for this (which is marketed as hair styling gel), but plan to order my own ingredients to make it myself for cheaper. It's completely natural. It contains lavender water, aloe vera, nettles, horsetail, sage, glycerin, citric acid, and grapefruit seed extract. I squirt it on my scalp and gently distribute/massage it. Then I get it the shower and rinse it off and condition as usual. I've been able to do this for two-three days before needing to shampoo, which is near miraculous for me. Lol it doesn't leave a residue or cause shedding like cowashing does for me and my scalp is not left greasy. For a side note: I've noticed my eye lashes are longer and thicker than usual, which has me thinking that it is great for hair growth as well! Since the growth cycle of eye lashes is shorter, the effects are noticed quicker than hair on your head. I have noticed a descrease in my shed rate, since mine seems to vary greatly depending on the health of my scalp. I plan to continue this routine, so I'll see if it has an effect on my hair!

Anya15
May 3rd, 2016, 01:02 AM
Oh I've never tried this before. Do you apply the gel on dry or damp hair?

On wash days, it's the last product I apply to my hair before plopping (I scrunch it into damp hair)

On other days, I mix it with some coconut oil and put it on the ends.
Some people use a mister bottle with water+gel+other products if necessary.

Daydreamer.
May 3rd, 2016, 03:12 AM
I've tried it. It's great!

Silverbleed
May 3rd, 2016, 04:30 AM
On wash days, it's the last product I apply to my hair before plopping (I scrunch it into damp hair)

On other days, I mix it with some coconut oil and put it on the ends.
Some people use a mister bottle with water+gel+other products if necessary.

Thanks! I'll try that next time I take a shower c: Curious to see what happens.

Platzhalter
May 3rd, 2016, 04:35 AM

I'd rather consider that an issue with the additives a lot of personal care products seem to have, though it may also be a slight allergic reaction or something similar, you know.

Estelwyn
May 3rd, 2016, 04:37 AM
This sounds great! I can't wait to try it! I think i'll use the pure juice mixed with water and spray it. I've been getting great results with jojoba oil as a deep conditioner, but it's too greasy for daily, leave-in use.

Lavendersugar
May 3rd, 2016, 09:53 AM
Anyone do this to air drying hair when damp for straight hair? I'm guessing it gets crunchy but thought I might be wrong.

I have Lily of the desert 99% aloe, is that workable?

stahil
May 3rd, 2016, 07:55 PM
I use aloe vera gel right out of the leaf and it does not absorb in my hair. It makes my hair hold like gels are supposed to. I am confused why it does that.

Lavendersugar
May 6th, 2016, 08:02 PM
I used Tropical solutions with success but wanted a spray. Purchased Real Aloe spray and it works well with air drying. Silky, smooth and not hardness. Hair seems to have lots of moisture. I also did the SMT moisture treatment a few days ago.

H o n є y ❤
May 6th, 2016, 08:59 PM
What is a SMT?

Mimha
May 8th, 2016, 05:11 AM
So annoyed !... :mad:

Sorry LHCers, but grrrrr : I have to vent my disappointment somewhere and you are the only ones to be able to turn it a comprehensive ear.

Since everybody here is endlessly praising the virtues of coconut oil and aloe vera, I though it a good idea to give it a try and broke my rule of less-is-more philosophy. Since about 3 weeks, I started oiling my hair as a pre-treatment before shampooing, knowing that this oil penetrates the hair fibre and helps resist the detangling process better. But since then, my hair started to gradually loose its natural shine and become more and more dry. I applied the oil on my dry hair and let it stand a couple of hours before I did my normal diluted light shampoo. I was even amazed at how easily the coconut oil washed away without me to add any extra shampoo to my super soft diluted usual amount. Then I bought some aloe vera gel and applied some on my ends, hoping that it would help moisturize them. But the gel made them even more crispy as it dried out.

Yesterday I skipped the oiling and did my normal shampoo, adding some very little quantity of aloe very gel in my ACV rinse, hoping that this time it would really have a moisturizing effect. But nada ! My hair has never been looking so bad since years : totally lost its shine and flexibility, looking dry, poofy any crispy like hell ! :( :( :(

When I think about it, it's as if the coconut oil had combined to my sebum to made it super washable, so my hair is now totally "naked" (I really feel like this, you know : with brittle vulnerable ultra dry hair !). The aloe vera has done nothing more than adding some extra unpleasant crispy build-up on this mess. So... I don't know if I have done something wrong but I'm more determined than ever to come back to my minimalist care and trust my own sebum to care form my hair. Maybe coconut and aloe vera are not for everybody's hair ??

Can't wait to have my hair feel soft, fluid and "flexible" and bouncy again, not like that straw !!! :disgust:

ExpectoPatronum
May 8th, 2016, 09:51 AM
Mimha, coconut and aloe definitely are not for everyone's hair. Neither of them give me amazing results like they do for so many. I can actually get dry ends if I use coconut oil too much. Olive and almond oil works much better for my hair. I also keep my use of aloe to the rare sunburn as it doesn't do anything for my hair either.

Jadestorm
May 8th, 2016, 09:59 AM
So am I the only one who just takes aloe vera gel (that can also go in hair) to moisture the ends of my hair?
No, I do that too! :)

-Fern
May 8th, 2016, 10:05 AM

Sorry LHCers, but grrrrr : I have to vent my disappointment somewhere and you are the only ones to be able to turn it a comprehensive ear.

Since everybody here is endlessly praising the virtues of coconut oil and aloe vera, I though it a good idea to give it a try and broke my rule of less-is-more philosophy. Since about 3 weeks, I started oiling my hair as a pre-treatment before shampooing, knowing that this oil penetrates the hair fibre and helps resist the detangling process better. But since then, my hair started to gradually loose its natural shine and become more and more dry. I applied the oil on my dry hair and let it stand a couple of hours before I did my normal diluted light shampoo. I was even amazed at how easily the coconut oil washed away without me to add any extra shampoo to my super soft diluted usual amount. Then I bought some aloe vera gel and applied some on my ends, hoping that it would help moisturize them. But the gel made them even more crispy as it dried out.

Yesterday I skipped the oiling and did my normal shampoo, adding some very little quantity of aloe very gel in my ACV rinse, hoping that this time it would really have a moisturizing effect. But nada ! My hair has never been looking so bad since years : totally lost its shine and flexibility, looking dry, poofy any crispy like hell ! :( :( :(

When I think about it, it's as if the coconut oil had combined to my sebum to made it super washable, so my hair is now totally "naked" (I really feel like this, you know : with brittle vulnerable ultra dry hair !). The aloe vera has done nothing more than adding some extra unpleasant crispy build-up on this mess. So... I don't know if I have done something wrong but I'm more determined than ever to come back to my minimalist care and trust my own sebum to care form my hair. Maybe coconut and aloe vera are not for everybody's hair ??

Can't wait to have my hair feel soft, fluid and "flexible" and bouncy again, not like that straw !!! :disgust:

Interesting, because coconut oil makes my ends feel crispy and crunchy. Everyone's hair is different! :grin: Sorry that you didn't have positive results with the aloe.

Mimha
May 8th, 2016, 11:46 AM
Mimha, coconut and aloe definitely are not for everyone's hair. Neither of them give me amazing results like they do for so many. I can actually get dry ends if I use coconut oil too much. Olive and almond oil works much better for my hair. I also keep my use of aloe to the rare sunburn as it doesn't do anything for my hair either.

Thanks for your answer, ExpectoPatronum. I will come back to my favorite oils (argan, olive and black seed) which I use in very small quantity anyway.

Interesting, because coconut oil makes my ends feel crispy and crunchy. Everyone's hair is different! :grin: Sorry that you didn't have positive results with the aloe.

Crispy and crunchy (like an ad' for cornflakes^^), these are the exact words, Fern ! I don't know what I can do with this gel, now. And on top of that, it costed me an arm and a leg ! Lol. Already awaiting my next shampoo and hoping the situation will improve soon.

Complexity
May 8th, 2016, 11:55 AM
My hair doesn't particularly love aloe, but my feet do (especially in the summer!). Perhaps you could get use out of it that way?

Lavendersugar
May 8th, 2016, 11:56 AM
What is a SMT?

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128

I can not use most oils. Castro oil dried my hair and scalp out so bad that it took a lot to get it back to normal. It was very frustrating as I was using it in hopes of extra growth. It was so dry I had hair breakage and split ends. I used the oil once a week for a month and a half. It slowly happened and at first I blamed it on products.

I tend to avoid products with oils for the reason that only avocado oil seems to work for me. Coconut oil makes my hair crispy. So, I can see why it wouldn't work for you. I read lots on message boards about people disliking it.

As for the aloe there are several reasons why it would not work. First is the aloe used. Was this pure aloe? People report right from the plant often is rubbery causing crispy hair. Was this bottled? Bottled has other ingredients that can react with your hair. Finding one with minimal ingredients and ones that won't react harshly is best. I did lots of research before using aloe alone on my hair.

Secondly, you did two things at once. This almost always is going to lead to disaster. You did not have your hair normal before using the aloe so there is no way of knowing if it was indeed the aloe. You want to give the SMT treatment a try first before jumping into aloe.

A good rule of thumb is one change at a time and allow plenty of time for results unless it's something that will give instant results.

Of course everyone has different chemistry. Even if it works for the masses this doesn't mean it's a one size fits all. I've learned this lesson the hard way and more than once in many different areas. My skin flops still continue with no hope in sight.
Might want to toss it up to a learning experience and remember this wasn't anything that caused true damage as you realized early on the dislike for coconut oil.

rhyebud
May 8th, 2016, 04:38 PM
I love aloe vera on the hair! I will massage it right into my scalp. It can be really nice on the ends too. You're not alone, just forward-thinking :)

Wusel
May 9th, 2016, 06:44 AM
So, here's my first experiences with my new bottle of 100% aloe vera gel:
Makes my thirsty hair SOOO soft!!! (seems to be great for low porosity hair). I didn't try it on my scalp yet but on my lengths.
Makes my acne prone skin SOOO soft!!! I've used it instead of a toner.
Much better than oils. For my skin and hair. I love it.

MlleMC
May 9th, 2016, 12:19 PM
Makes my thirsty hair SOOO soft!!! (seems to be great for low porosity hair). I didn't try it on my scalp yet but on my lengths.

I can't tell for my hair yet, as I'm currently trying a new conditioner (hypoallergenic!), but the aloe gel certainly helped with my skin. I had super dry skin from an eczema flare-up on which my usual lotion somehow couldn't moisturize, and the aloe worked pretty well. :)

Mimha
May 9th, 2016, 12:52 PM
My hair doesn't particularly love aloe, but my feet do (especially in the summer!). Perhaps you could get use out of it that way?

Oh ok, I will try !^^ Thank you for the idea. :)

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128

I can not use most oils. Castro oil dried my hair and scalp out so bad that it took a lot to get it back to normal. It was very frustrating as I was using it in hopes of extra growth. It was so dry I had hair breakage and split ends. I used the oil once a week for a month and a half. It slowly happened and at first I blamed it on products.

I tend to avoid products with oils for the reason that only avocado oil seems to work for me. Coconut oil makes my hair crispy. So, I can see why it wouldn't work for you. I read lots on message boards about people disliking it.

As for the aloe there are several reasons why it would not work. First is the aloe used. Was this pure aloe? People report right from the plant often is rubbery causing crispy hair. Was this bottled? Bottled has other ingredients that can react with your hair. Finding one with minimal ingredients and ones that won't react harshly is best. I did lots of research before using aloe alone on my hair.

Secondly, you did two things at once. This almost always is going to lead to disaster. You did not have your hair normal before using the aloe so there is no way of knowing if it was indeed the aloe. You want to give the SMT treatment a try first before jumping into aloe.

A good rule of thumb is one change at a time and allow plenty of time for results unless it's something that will give instant results.

Of course everyone has different chemistry. Even if it works for the masses this doesn't mean it's a one size fits all. I've learned this lesson the hard way and more than once in many different areas. My skin flops still continue with no hope in sight.
Might want to toss it up to a learning experience and remember this wasn't anything that caused true damage as you realized early on the dislike for coconut oil.

Thank you for your detailed answer, Lavendersugar. I suspect that oil on hair may act as a sebum diluter, making it easier to be washed away. That's why some hair tend to be drier when using them. (Now I can't explain why some others don't, lol). Concerning the aloe vera, I don't think I will try it again on my hair, even under its purest form. Gels are mainly made of water and some other stuff that will remain as a build up on the hair once the water has evaporated. And I definitely don't like this at all. Maybe the hair will absorb part of it, but well... I prefer that it is my own sebum than an expensive useless (or even damaging) stuff. Lesson learned !

lillielil
May 9th, 2016, 01:35 PM
I've been using an aloe gel that my hair seems to love: Walgreens brand Aloe Vera After Sun Body Gel (Sensitive Skin). They have 3 versions, green, blue, and clear. This is the clear one. Ingredients: Water, Alcohol Denat., Glycerin, Carbomer, Triethanolamine, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice Powder, Methylparaben, Imidazolidinyl Urea.

The alcohol is maybe drying? But overall it seems to make my hair very soft. I put it on damp ends before I bun them. I suspect the glycerin is what's really doing it for me, with the aloe itself as a bonus.

Lavendersugar
May 9th, 2016, 03:28 PM

Is that the brand name?

Yes, I agree. I think certain hair types benefit more than others.

I've been using an aloe gel that my hair seems to love: Walgreens brand Aloe Vera After Sun Body Gel (Sensitive Skin). They have 3 versions, green, blue, and clear. This is the clear one. Ingredients: Water, Alcohol Denat., Glycerin, Carbomer, Triethanolamine, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice Powder, Methylparaben, Imidazolidinyl Urea.

The alcohol is maybe drying? But overall it seems to make my hair very soft. I put it on damp ends before I bun them. I suspect the glycerin is what's really doing it for me, with the aloe itself as a bonus.

Ues, there are several ingredients I'd concerned about but given how low the aloe powder is on the list I doubt it's even Doug much.
Just watch your hair with caution.

Kake
May 10th, 2016, 11:28 AM
I used aloe and a little argan oil, and I'm pretty pleased with the results. My hair tends towards fluffy frizz/fly aways, and I use lots of product to counteract this. Today I used only the aloe gel and argan and my hair is soft and I have minimal frizz. It's not really any better than on any other good hair day (which are infrequent) but to have the same effects without all the product is excellent. I'll try it with some product as well the next time, hopefully it'll be even better.

renia22
May 10th, 2016, 11:45 AM

Coconut oil can be rather difficult to wash out. Are you sure this isn't a build-up issue, especially considering it was done many times over the course of a few weeks? Maybe it felt like it was washed out but it really wasn't?