PDA

View Full Version : I think my straightener ruined my bangs?

anonymous_owl
February 4th, 2016, 12:23 PM
I have one of the New Evolition straighteners and sometimes I see how I can straighten my desperate in need cut hair can be. And I noticed they're not ad as curly as they used to be. And it really really bother me. How can I fix this? Has anyone else used this straightener?

Nique1202
February 4th, 2016, 12:39 PM
Straighteners cause heat damage. Heat damage can cause hair to lose its natural texture over time because the protein that makes up the hair gets deformed and can't go back to the way it was. The only way to "fix" it if that's what's happening is to never straighten your bangs again and let the damage grow out. The hair that grows new out of your head and doesn't get heat treated should be your old texture again.

anonymous_owl
February 4th, 2016, 12:47 PM
So it does kinda fix it self but by growing?

Nique1202
February 4th, 2016, 12:55 PM
It's not exactly a fix, more like waiting for new hair to replace the current damaged hair, and not causing new damage to the hair to make it happen again.

anonymous_owl
February 4th, 2016, 12:59 PM
Good thing my hair grows and I have biotin and coconut oil to help.

lapushka
February 4th, 2016, 01:50 PM
If it is heat damage, and it won't go back to its original texture no matter what you do, it is ruined, and as Nique said, you will have to wait on new growth, and slowly trim the damage off. Good luck! :flower: Heat damage is no fun!

Anje
February 4th, 2016, 02:29 PM
All that said, even heat damaged hair can get better with some babying. It won't be like healthy hair, but if you treat it well, it can usually improve.

lapushka
February 4th, 2016, 02:33 PM
For sure Anje, but if it is really heat damaged, it is hard to get the natural texture back. That doesn't mean you have to lop it all off, no, certainly not.

Anje
February 4th, 2016, 02:46 PM
That doesn't mean you have to lop it all off, no, certainly not.
Cue reminiscences from people who didn't like their bangs as children, so they cut them off at the scalp....

papayatree
February 4th, 2016, 05:35 PM
I hate to be the bearer of bad news. But while straighteners are totally the thing in today's society, We know the damage they can do, and the only way to get rid of the damaged hair, is to cut it away. With Bangs, it should not be a big deal, they will come back real soon, if you have short ones. If not, then you have to make a tough decision on what you are going to do. I wish you the best! Have a :blossom: for good luck