PDA

View Full Version : Pre-oiling vs. Deep treatment, CO-wash vs shampoo , charges...

Akville
February 4th, 2016, 09:15 AM
Ok...

so the thing is that I've bought deep treatment and I did used it once, its kind of amazing but..
I use to CO and pre-poo with oils, so the question is..

How do I do to get maximum results from my deep treatment without using shampoo (my scalp does not like it)...
I mean the most normal thing to do is to shampoo your hair and the put in hair masque and then rinse it of and then use balsam to "close the cuticle" of the hair...
But I would like to learn how to use deep treatment with CO method because it suits me so well..

And does anyone know the science of charges of products.. I've heard that shampoo has negative charge it removes all the gunk and then you use balsam and it does has positive charge so it stays on the hair and fills in all cracks and stuff.. So do I use the deep treatment after the CO or do I use it before the CO or .. I dont know it makes me confused.. :D what do you think guys how do you do?

I don't want to waste any product it was expensive :).. Does the hair really has to be totally clean to "pick up" this deep treatment/hair masque?

You guys who has been here for a long time have you any suggestions..

thanks for any answers... :D

God bless

meteor
February 4th, 2016, 11:09 AM
I'm not a CO-washer so I can't answer questions on that, but on your question about negative & positive charges in shampoos and conditioners, there is a good article here: http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.ca/2014/01/deep-conditioning-part-i.html Damaged, porous hair has more negative charges and needs more conditioning (conditioning ingredients adhere to your hair temporarily, leaving a layer of conditioning behind to help reduce friction in your hair).
But removing build-up, excessive coat of conditioning would be very difficult without standard clarifying from time to time.

lapushka
February 4th, 2016, 02:42 PM
You *can* use a DT before CO-washing. Nobody says you can't! There are those who use a rinsing CO to wash and a conditioning CO to "condition". But you can do it however you feel like doing it! If it works for you, then all the better. Just give it a shot! Try it.

Akville
February 5th, 2016, 12:49 PM
Thank you guys... :)

I think I will try different things..

My hair is not prone for build up så I think I will try to do DT before CO this time and will try DT after CO next time.. Well se how it goes.
If It doesn't work I think I will use my SLS free gentle shampoo ...

One more question how "bad" is shampoo compared to CO wash.. Anyone? Does it really dry out and stripes hair strands that much!?

meteor
February 5th, 2016, 01:22 PM
Sounds like a plan! :D Don't worry, if your hair doesn't like a specific routine, it will let you know, usually via build-up (often either lank and greasy or dry and grabby feeling), and that can be easily removed by clarifying or even just switching up products. :)

One more question how "bad" is shampoo compared to CO wash.. Anyone? Does it really dry out and stripes hair strands that much!?

Shampoo is there to cleanse effectively but gently enough and, ideally, without leaving build-up behind. I don't think shampoo is "bad" unless it has any ingredients that your scalp is sensitive to or if it's used inappropriately for your hair's needs (e.g. washing too frequently, soaking the ends it shampoo, when it's not needed, choosing a harsher formula than needed, ingredients that build up easily, etc...).
If you need to shampoo but at the same time worry about drying out ends, you could try scalp-only washes (with hair bunned/braided and covered by a shower cap), diluting shampoo with water, using milder cleansing formulas, doing CWC or pre-poo oiling, etc...

With the existence of conditioning shampoos, 2-in-1 formulas, cleansing conditioners (CO-washes), there is a bit of a continuum between standard shampoos and conditioners these days. It's all about finding the products *your* hair responds best to! ;)

Akville
February 7th, 2016, 07:25 AM
Thanks for answers...

I've tried CO wash and DT afterwards its ok but I think it was better with shampoo,before DT.

First of all it felt very lean at the ends after shampoo and deep treatment and my hair wasn't greasy after wash for almost three days.. And after CO and DT it got greasy very quickly and it doesn't feel as lean att the ends...

I dont know maybe DT cant be "absorbed" as it should after CO wash.. So I guess I will be diluting my shampoo from now on and se how it goes.. I find also the CO wash method so expensive :D..

I was always afraid to use shampoo because Ive heard its so hard on tresses but I think I will give it a try anyway...

Do you think it is good idea to pre-poo with oil, If I will be doing deep treatment after shampooing? Or will the oil block out the DT? I use to pre-oil two days before wash, usually its coconut or avocado oil..

Any thoughts about that?

meteor
February 7th, 2016, 08:01 AM
Do you think it is good idea to pre-poo with oil, If I will be doing deep treatment after shampooing? Or will the oil block out the DT? I use to pre-oil two days before wash, usually its coconut or avocado oil..

Any thoughts about that?

Pre-poo oil + Shampoo + DT sounds like a good plan. :thumbsup: Pre-poo oiling shouldn't block DT or conditioner from working after shampoo, unless you use way too much oil - but then the hair would come out lanky and you'd see that it was too much. You can experiment with different amounts and types of oil.

The oil should protect hair from hygral fatigue, and, if you use coconut oil in pre-poo, it reduces protein loss that can happen during washing and post-wash grooming, more on this:
Effect of coconut oil on prevention of hair damage: http://journal.scconline.org/pdf/cc1999/cc050n06/p00327-p00339.pdf
Effect of mineral oil, sunflower oil, and coconut oil on prevention of hair damage: http://journal.scconline.org/pdf/cc2003/cc054n02/p00175-p00192.pdf

Akville
February 8th, 2016, 03:38 AM
Oh great!!

I think it will be great.. benefits of oiling and benefits of DT.. jehooo!!! :D
Thank you for helpful links..

I think my new hair routine is going to look like that:
1. pre oil the ends two days before wash.
2. shampoo with SLS free diluted shampoo.
3. put in DT for five minutes. wait...
4. rinse everything of..

Sound good?

meteor
February 8th, 2016, 08:33 AM
^ Oh yes, it sounds great! :D And of course, don't be afraid to tweak it and experiment further, since this kind of stuff is very YMMV. :)
For example, some people do DTs before shampooing (to avoid weighing down the hair), some use a bit of rinse-out conditioner as a leave-in, and there are lots of other ways of using oils, as well, for example, as a leave-in (on dry or damp hair or in LOC), between shampoo and conditioner (as an oil rinse), added to conditioner, etc. It's worth playing with different routines to see what your hair likes best. :)
I'd just recommend changing one thing at a time, to see what exactly works how for you. ;)

Mzteaze
February 10th, 2016, 09:37 PM
You can also "soften" shampoo by adding water and oils. Some people find that effective so that they can get the cleansing effect of the surfactants in shampoo without completely stripping their hair and overly drying it out.

luxurioushair
February 11th, 2016, 06:29 AM
At least for CO-washing vs. shampoo, I stopped using conditioner only, because I wanted my hair to be much cleaner. The conditioners do not seem able to provide the level of cleansing that I want. Maximum results from deep treatment, well I do it for at least 4 hours, usually 6, and covered with something plastic. Makes the hair super soft.