PDA

View Full Version : "Not Long Enough" Syndrome

LillithTheFirst
February 4th, 2016, 02:33 AM
Anyone else suffering from this? Grow the hair and its never long enough. I'm at tailbone and peole constantly comment on my "long hair" and I don't think it's long. But I think back to when I had shoulder length hair, or BSL hair and thought TBL was really long! Haha!

Sarahlabyrinth
February 4th, 2016, 02:37 AM
Oh yes, My hair never seems long enough, even though it is only a couple of inches from my goal length!

parkmikii
February 4th, 2016, 03:00 AM
Yes, definitely! My hair is currently almost BCL but it still seems short to me ><

hanne jensen
February 4th, 2016, 04:23 AM
My hair never seems long enough. I'm constantly in that irritating in between stage. 5 cm too long for some things and 5 cm too short for others.

Nique1202
February 4th, 2016, 04:41 AM
Good old LHC-itis. I started out thinking midback was reasonably long. Now I'm between bcl and tbl and I know my hair looks as long or longer than most of the hair I used to consider really long (when actresses have hair around waist-to-hip but are taller and have longer torsos than I have) but when I let it down and feel it on my back or look in the mirror it's still really not long enough for me, and if I can get there knee looks better all the time...

There are probably a lot of reasons and influences, from "you've never seen long hair that looked healthy before the LHC except in old paintings so it never seemed attainable" to "western society tends to value wanting to be better or different instead of trying to be happy with what you have, changing hair means damaging it, and damaging habits are incompatible with long hair so the west abandoned long hair as a valuable trait on the whole". At least we have the internet to bring together like-minded folks to support and educate each other now. :cheer:

bunneh.
February 4th, 2016, 04:42 AM
Yes I guess... Though a few days ago I did look at the back of my hair in the mirror and saw how long it was, it feels shorter on pictures than in the mirror... But yes, looking at how far you came from where you were is better in my opinion instead of beating yourself up thinking about how long you need to keep growing to reach your goal. One should love and enjoy hair as it is and accept it as it is, there's someone out there that'd die to have hair like you. :)

Arctic
February 4th, 2016, 05:20 AM
I think I'm not as much affected by this as many of you, but just the other day I saw someone's lenght photo (APL) and thought how very long it looked. Then I realized I have the same lenght, but mine looks much shorter :)

Freija
February 4th, 2016, 05:52 AM
Yes! When I started with a pixie that I hated, even shoulder-length seemed good - I would have my curls back at that length, I could do sweet little half-ups, etc etc... BSL, which was the same or longer than most of the other girls at uni, seemed positively luxurious. Now I'm passing hip at the bottom of my U-hem, and it still feels so very short - especially because the average hair length for girls here seems to have gone from collarbone to hip in the meantime. I'm dreading the possibility of having a short terminal length. I want at least TBL and possibly thigh length.

pailin
February 4th, 2016, 06:04 AM
I joined thinking I wanted hip but knowing I might want longer. I'm trying not to set actual goals too far ahead. The more I'm around lhc the more I think classic would be nice....​

diddiedaisy
February 4th, 2016, 08:24 AM
I think I'm not as much affected by this as many of you, but just the other day I saw someone's lenght photo (APL) and thought how very long it looked. Then I realized I have the same lenght, but mine looks much shorter :)

I feel this all the time, I think its because I'm a shorty, so someone with top of bsl hair could have 4 more inches than me!!!

Laur
February 4th, 2016, 08:36 AM
Yep, I get this all the time. I also get the "my hair isn't thick enough" -itis. But then I get a good hair day and think "wow, maybe my hair isn't so bad after all".

But my goal length originally was waist, and now I've passed that (twice!) and am growing toward classic. We'll see when it gets there if I think it's long enough. :D

missrandie
February 4th, 2016, 08:52 AM
I just keep telling myself, "it's getting there, one millimeter at a time."

I'm happy with the thickness, and the color, just not the length yet.

It sure is a lot longer than it was last year though! But, I wonder if I will hit that "not long enough" point when I start getting within goal length range in a few years.

samanthaa
February 4th, 2016, 09:17 AM
Yep, I get this all the time. I also get the "my hair isn't thick enough" -itis.

I get my-hair-isn't-thick-enough more than I get my-hair-isn't-long-enough :( At least I can always grow my hair longer...

restless
February 4th, 2016, 10:04 AM
Yes, I do indeed suffer from the "Not long enough" syndrome. Years ago when my hair journey began I just wanted "really long hair" and meant waist/hip length when I said so. Here I am at BCL and its still not enough. Im not in complete denial though as I do have moments when I find myself thinking "Woah its getting long. What am I gonna do with all of this?", but, y´know... I still want more.

school of fish
February 4th, 2016, 10:18 AM
I'm more in the ends-not-thick-enough camp, which is what saves me from *too* many not-long-enough thoughts... although truth told now that I've regained the length I trimmed off last Aug I've just started reconsidering my thoughts about growing a couple extra inches...

I blame LHC ;)

AspenSong
February 4th, 2016, 10:27 AM
I've got it. When I joined, my short term goal was to just get back to hip/TBL - where my former longest length was. Before I got to that, I'd already changed my goal to Classic. I honestly wasn't sure my hair would grow much past that. Now it's a smidge past knee and I'm going....Eh....I want mid calf length - IF it'll grow to there.

HeartofHaleth
February 4th, 2016, 10:34 AM
I don't think I really had a goal before I came here...I think I just wanted to see what would happen if I didn't get a haircut. Well, now I know! It gets longer!:shrug::doh:

Agnes Hannah
February 4th, 2016, 10:52 AM
Yep, my hair is BCL and feels short! When it is loose, I get comments about the length of it, but I still feel its short. My original goal when Joining LHC was waist, and I wasn't sure that would be possible with my fine hair. But it has surpassed all of my expectations. Now I'm looking at classic or fingertip, there isn't much difference for me, I have short arms and a long body. However, I have taper to grow out too.

ladyshep
February 4th, 2016, 11:05 AM
I used to think that way until it reached knee length 2 years ago, then I thought, "this is a bit too long." Then gradually I cut it shorter and shorter during the course of a year, until it reached shoulder length. Then I was mad at myself for doing so. My hair is now arm pit length, and it is definitely not long enough. I wish it was knee length again, even though I thought it was too long. Better too long than too short!

truepeacenik
February 4th, 2016, 11:17 AM
My name is truepeacenik and I have hair dysmorphia.

While my hair is in the Long Dark Teatime of the Thigh, I still see it as short.
However, I see waist on others and file it as long.
So it's me.
And all those Bay Area meets with well, you have seen the photos.

neko_kawaii
February 4th, 2016, 11:23 AM
My name is truepeacenik and I have hair dysmorphia.

While my hair is in the Long Dark Teatime of the Thigh, I still see it as short.
However, I see waist on others and file it as long.
So it's me.
And all those Bay Area meets with well, you have seen the photos.

HA!

I'm going through a period of "Have I had a growth spurt? It suddenly feels longer. Am I really that close to knee? Why can't I see my own hair at knee?! Maybe I'll hit knee by my anniversay. No, there has to be more distance to cover, I can't get a good angle on my own knee."

truepeacenik
February 4th, 2016, 11:39 AM
I've taking to poking the end point in the shower to get that extra cm or so from sopping wet hair.
Good for the ego, because then it's shrinkage. Not shortness.

LongCurlyTress
February 4th, 2016, 11:48 AM
I've taking to poking the end point in the shower to get that extra cm or so from sopping wet hair.
Good for the ego, because then it's shrinkage. Not shortness.

Right on!! I do this too! &;)

lapushka
February 4th, 2016, 02:07 PM
It is LHC-itis indeed, as Nique said! :) I think after reaching classic, which was my goal, all I wanted to do was grow on. :lol:

ashke50
February 4th, 2016, 02:18 PM
Definitely!
When I started here I wanted hair to my hips, which was my previous longest hair. That swiftly escalated to classic, which I'd always wanted but never thought I could reach. When I got there, that didn't feel long either. My hair has started to feel long now, although not long enough. I'm nearly at knee. I have to laugh at myself, with hair nearly to my knees, and it is just starting to feel long to me...

Ellethwyn
February 4th, 2016, 02:24 PM
Totally! And it doesn't surprise me that most of us on here feel the same. I'm at hip and I feel my hair is still short. I think when I'm past tailbone i'll feel like my hair is long. Hopefully!

Skade
February 4th, 2016, 02:33 PM
Definitely. When people tell me that "it's so long" I'm always thinking, "It's not that long.." Or I'm like, the length is alright, but it should be thicker.. Never sadisfied :)

mary*rose
February 4th, 2016, 02:34 PM
All I ever wanted was to be at classic and know I'm at knee x) So I totally feel what you mean, AspenSong!

Although I do the same thing when looking at other women's hair, and think WL or HL is pretty darn long. Perhaps because I'm comparing it to the people with shorter hair around them?

sugar&nutmeg
February 4th, 2016, 02:44 PM
Currently, my hair is...well, like my avatar, or not even chin length. So, obviously not long enough.

But, when it looked more like my signature, people (not LHCers) would sometimes ask how long my hair was, and I'd reply, "Not that long, only about 2 feet". And those people would just laugh and laugh. Two feet of hair? "Not that long?" LOL!

So, yeah. TLHC is a place set apart. Thank goodness!

Alarice
February 4th, 2016, 02:54 PM
Wow, bunneh., your sig picture is the kind of hair I fantasize about having...in an alternate universe, though, as red hair would look realllly weird with my skin coloring, etc., not to mention I would have to really damage my hair in order to achieve that shade...
I love me some well-cared-for red hair though.:crush:

Rhodugune
February 4th, 2016, 02:59 PM
I have the same experience as some of you that when my hair got somewhere mid back, it felt long when I could really feel it sweeping my back.
That changed as my hair grew longer, it did feel long again after it long enough to tickle the back of my thighs, but I had to cut back 2 years ago and since then when my hair has hung around tailbone to classic and I dont think it will feel long again until it hits fingertip length again.

MeAndTheMaz
February 4th, 2016, 03:54 PM
Gosh. Those of you who have hip-plus length hair and don't find it long enough, really have the sympathy of us that are currently APL-minus. :shake: No, really. :violin: My knee length hair is not long enough. Honestly.

But, yeah, I also suffer. Coming in a bit shy of APL is nowhere near long enough, even before I joined LHC, it wouldn't be. I reeaallyy with it was thicker though.

Federica
February 4th, 2016, 04:05 PM
BCL here, and still not long enough even for being considered properly long.
I'm still describing it as long-ish.
I always feel like I'm just a couple of inches away, but keep feeling like this as my hair grows.
For years. Many, actually.
And believe me, MeAndTheMaz, you should be sympathetic to us, because it never stops, you'll see. :D

parkmikii
February 4th, 2016, 04:09 PM
BCL here, and still not long enough.

Like, is it ever enough? Will I ever be satisfied? I always feel like I'm just a couple of inches away, but keep feeling like this as my hair grows.
For years. Many, actually.
And believe me, MeAndTheMaz, you should be sympathetic to us, because it never stops, you'll see. :D

It indeed never stops, feeling it on my skin since I joined LHC ><

missrandie
February 4th, 2016, 04:13 PM
Lol I keep telling myself "when I can make a bun, I'll be happy."

We all know that is a lie.

Here, right now, the max I *think* I'll be happy with is tailbone length. But you all know how that will go...
*gets there* Oh, this is so short still! I should try out classic.
*gets there* Oh, this is nice, but I wonder what FTL would feel like..
*gets there* Oh, well now I'm only a year away from knee..

Federica
February 4th, 2016, 04:19 PM
Yeah, I think the illustrations on my fairytales book might have distorted my ideal of beauty somehow, then lately this forum gave me the final strike.

gthlvrmx
February 4th, 2016, 04:28 PM
It's a good thing my goal is terminal.

dfotw
February 4th, 2016, 04:52 PM
Oh, absolutely. My hair is never long enough. Even when it was at aaaaalmost classic unstretched, it felt too short (and the ends felt too thin and wimpy). And yet I see a girl with waist-length hair on the bus and marvel at her length. :p

Not to mention the Shrinkage Imp. You're kinda feeling good with your hair, starting to feel like you're making progress, and the next day... poof! :smack: Shrinkage takes you back two inches.
(I know we measure length stretched, but *that* doesn't feel like my real length. :shrug:)

Robot Ninja
February 4th, 2016, 05:40 PM
LHCitis indeed. I think, "yeah, my hair is long enough for now," then I come here and see PrincessBob's or Gossamer's or whoever's hair and suddenly nope, I want longer hair and I want it now. Patience is not one of my strong points.

mermaid lullaby
February 4th, 2016, 06:35 PM
Gosh. Those of you who have hip-plus length hair and don't find it long enough, really have the sympathy of us that are currently APL-minus. :shake: No, really. :violin: My knee length hair is not long enough. Honestly.

:lol: which length is better then? Bcl or tbl?

trolleypup
February 4th, 2016, 07:11 PM

But, yeah, I also suffer. Coming in a bit shy of APL is nowhere near long enough, even before I joined LHC, it wouldn't be. I reeaallyy with it was thicker though.Sorry...and you don't grow out of the syndrome.

school of fish
February 4th, 2016, 07:18 PM
:lol: which length is better then? Bcl or tbl?

According to this thread, neither! They're both Not. Long. Enough.
;)

mermaid lullaby
February 4th, 2016, 07:30 PM
According to this thread, neither! They're both Not. Long. Enough.
;)

:roll: where's the "like" button?

Sarahlabyrinth
February 4th, 2016, 08:15 PM
What happens when terminal isn't long enough?:p

Long_hair_bear
February 4th, 2016, 08:24 PM
I ALWAYS feel this way about my hair.... grrrr! Everyone else says, "Oh, your hair is so long!" to which I reply, "Not long enough." At tbl, it is long to the outside world, but by LHC standards, I feel it is a medium length. I'd like my hair to knee at least!

Sarahlabyrinth
February 4th, 2016, 08:26 PM
I ALWAYS feel this way about my hair.... grrrr! Everyone else says, "Oh, your hair is so long!" to which I reply, "Not long enough." At tbl, it is long to the outside world, but by LHC standards, I feel it is a medium length. I'd like my hair to knee at least!

This is just the same for me! Whenever someone says that my hair is "sooo looong", I wonder if they are being serious or not. And I usually say something like "It's getting there."

sumidha
February 5th, 2016, 01:27 AM
LHC induced hair dysmorphia. ;)

It's also a testament to how we humans adjust to change over time, if I woke up one morning with hair that had magically grown from APL to knee length over night I'd be overwhelmed with 'Omg my hair is so long!' but because it grows slow we get used to it, and it doesn't seem 'long' anymore. And then somehow ten years later you have hair down to your knees, and wonder how that happened! :laugh:

school of fish
February 5th, 2016, 06:16 AM
Reading through these posts twigged me another possible reason we shoot farther than our initial target around here. Something in addition to our eyes getting used to a longer length or working toward an artistic or personal ideal.

I wonder if our concept of how long/hard it is to reach a length goal changes the more years we've been growing our hair. It seems to me that a good many of the members here who have been around for years have a more relaxed perspective on the amount of time growth takes. For example, someone who's been growing a year or two may feel that another year's growth feels like a very long time (I have to wait another YEAR?) wheras someone who's been growing for 8 or 9 years may have a different take on that same time (hey, what's another year?).

Of course I don't mean to suggest this is a universal thing. But I do wonder if the goalposts shift more easily when a year forms a relatively small proportion of the overall time a person has already put in to growing.

MeAndTheMaz
February 5th, 2016, 07:47 AM
What happens when terminal isn't long enough?:p

That's when insanity kicks in. :wethree: :crazyq: shudder: And you start to get mad at the world, :taz: :steam and start :brickwall. So you stop taking care of yourself and start looking a little :silly:. You're done for when you :alcoholic: and start seeing dancing cheeses :cheese:

mary*rose
February 7th, 2016, 11:03 AM
I've also noticed that a lot of the people who have been around here a long time don't have SUPER long hair.

ArienEllariel
February 7th, 2016, 11:05 AM
Mine has been hovering around waist and non-LHC people tell me it's long but I just don't think it's long enough.

lithostoic
February 7th, 2016, 02:51 PM
I'm definitely feeling that. My hair is currently an inch or two below collarbone and people are calling it long??? In what universe is that long?

Islandgrrl
February 7th, 2016, 02:58 PM
I hate to admit this, but yeah, I suffer from this.

How long is long enough? Just a little bit longer than it currently is, whatever the "currently is" happens to be.

I had someone ask me the other day if my hair was long enough. The inflection in the question was 100% sarcastic. I asked the person who posed the question if the length of my hair bothered him, and he replied that it did. So my answer to his original question was, "No. My hair is not long enough." He was speechless. Which, of course, was my intent. Jack***.

lapis_lazuli
February 7th, 2016, 05:35 PM
Yup. I don't think I'll be content until it reaches the floor :sad

missrandie
February 7th, 2016, 05:45 PM
I just had a moment like this today. I was looking through old pictures from high school.

When I was in high school, I had shortened my hair some, but I still considered it to be long.

Today, I looked at my pictures. My hair was only APL-BSL. Seriously, MissRandie?! You call THAT long??? It looked so short!!!!!

now I KNOW I want to go to TBL. At the LEAST! In fact, classic is starting to look pretty appealing.....

LongCurlyTress
February 7th, 2016, 06:18 PM
Reading through these posts twigged me another possible reason we shoot farther than our initial target around here. Something in addition to our eyes getting used to a longer length or working toward an artistic or personal ideal.

I wonder if our concept of how long/hard it is to reach a length goal changes the more years we've been growing our hair. It seems to me that a good many of the members here who have been around for years have a more relaxed perspective on the amount of time growth takes. For example, someone who's been growing a year or two may feel that another year's growth feels like a very long time (I have to wait another YEAR?) wheras someone who's been growing for 8 or 9 years may have a different take on that same time (hey, what's another year?).

Of course I don't mean to suggest this is a universal thing. But I do wonder if the goalposts shift more easily when a year forms a relatively small proportion of the overall time a person has already put in to growing.

I agree but just want to add that when my hair was shorter, all I could think about and obsess on was growing length (since my chin length bob chop in 2011.) Now that I am almost at TBL, at least I already do have long hair, the longest it has ever been in my life, so I am now happy that my hair is long -- for me, and any more growth I get is a plus. My goal is classic due to the iii thickness and 3b curliness but I guess I will wait until I get there before deciding on growing any more length. It also depends on if my hair wants to keep growing!! LOL... Anyways, now that my hair is longer I feel like I can relax a bit more than when my hair was still at a shorter length and all I could see on these pages and in the "wild"were those with hair longer than mine is. We always want what we can't/don't have, don't we??? ;)

Frankenstein
February 7th, 2016, 08:08 PM
I feel like this sometimes since cutting to BCL and maintaining there, but it passes.

chen bao jun
February 7th, 2016, 09:43 PM
I think this is a self selected group. I think people come on LHC with a goal and some of them meet that goal and then leave off posting, coming on here because it IS long enough for them. Maybe they are even a majority. But we don't notice them. We notice the people who stay and go on to another goal.

Of whom I am apparently one.

I came on here hoping to get to APL while curly and basically recover the hair I once had, after seeing a cousin who had 'my' (in the past) hair in May 2013.

I saw her again this weekend. My hair is basically APL curly--and its longer than hers, which is APL straightened only. And I definitely have back the hair I had.

But of course I want more.

This may sound moderate compared to wanting knee length or floor length (when you have BCL) but a journey of a thousand miles starts with one step...

Terminal may well stop me though. I can't imagine that my hair will grow much longer than waist (when curly). People in my family have curly hair that long (the cousin I speak of once had it) but only one person has ever had longer. And I don't see curly hair much longer than waist much. Even on these boards, it is rare.

But I am not crying. Actually quite happy with my hair at the moment, realizing that I did meet my initial goal (and also having had my hair complimented all this weekend by family. Unlike the families of many of you, my family loves long hair).

vpatt
February 8th, 2016, 05:19 PM
My hair is APL now. I still want to reach my original goal of waist. But I do find myself dreaming about the possibility of longer lengths, lol. But I am happier as my hair grows. It feels so nice now that it keeps my neck warm and I can feel it touching my back and upper arms. I am impatient for more growth, but I am beginning to enjoy it more as it is now. I don't think of it as long, but I know IRL a lot of people think of it that way....especially at my age. :p

ashyash
February 8th, 2016, 07:05 PM
Yeah! Mine is between waist and hip now... When I wear it down, I get comments about how long it is from people, and it feels too short to me! The longer it gets, the longer I want it. Lol.

languagenut
February 8th, 2016, 10:39 PM
Uh-oh!! I'm actually pretty content with the length of my hair - guess I should flee and never look back, before I get infected too!!! shudder: :tmi: :scared:

I do have one protection: I'm dominated by my practical side. And that means I like being able to reach the end of my hair with my hair brush, while standing up. But surely a couple more inches wouldn't hurt; they'd come in handy for that Helix Bun... :whistle:

Dragonwings
February 8th, 2016, 10:55 PM
I'm at that point where I'm thinking, just a bit longer... I'm just touching tailbone length now (and going in for a probably needed trim), and I'm thinking, why not longer. Lol.

Nesoi
February 9th, 2016, 01:55 AM
I'm almost at the length which has always been my goal since finding LHC (waist) but now it seems so short - I can't even do a Nautilus yet!! My buzz-cut self would have wanted to slap me :doh:

neko_kawaii
February 9th, 2016, 07:37 AM
Uh-oh!! I'm actually pretty content with the length of my hair - guess I should flee and never look back, before I get infected too!!! shudder: :tmi: :scared:

Nah, very little risk of infection. My hair is long. I'd be satisfied if my terminal length was no longer than tailbone length (for updo purposes), but since it is not yet inconveniencing me it is still growing toward terminal, whatever that might be. Looks like I'll be reaching knee this year.

BoopAllCats
February 9th, 2016, 07:38 AM
That's me!

Deborah
February 9th, 2016, 11:15 AM
Maybe it's because I have been a longhair all my life, and because my hair grows very fast, but I am never subject to wishing it were longer. If I want it longer I just leave it alone, and it gets longer all by itself! :p I recently cut back to waist, and I am perfectly happy there. I came here to hear people's ideas on better care of long hair, and ideas on different ways to clean it and keep it nice.

*Stella*
February 9th, 2016, 03:46 PM
I am happy with my length. It is somewhere between waist and hip, every so often when the mood takes me I chop it back to waist length. Been this length for several years now, for me it is the perfect length; long enough to feel long, but short enough to look full and have movement

lapis_lazuli
February 9th, 2016, 03:48 PM
I am happy with my length. It is somewhere between waist and hip, every so often when the mood takes me I chop it back to waist length. Been this length for several years now, for me it is the perfect length; long enough to feel long, but short enough to look full and have movement

That's a great place to be :) I hope I have that mindset soon!

*Stella*
February 9th, 2016, 04:16 PM
I lost almost all my hair a few years back as a side effect from medication, so I appreciate it more now. I hated all the lengths from shoulder (the shortest I could bear to cut it) to waist, but as soon as I hit waist I felt happy with it.

JadedByEntropy
February 9th, 2016, 10:07 PM

:laugh: chin was both too short/long at different moments. bsl was soo long. waist became suddenly not long enough at ALL. reaching hip became too long. tbl was never long enough. yet now classic is way too long but now i also can't go back to shorter than hip without rewriting my life to accommodate non hair related activities haha I'm hoping ftl will be okay, but i can already see that knee would be 'just right'. i can't see going further than knee...at the moment. haha

mary*rose
February 12th, 2016, 09:10 PM
I'm almost at the length which has always been my goal since finding LHC (waist) but now it seems so short - I can't even do a Nautilus yet!! My buzz-cut self would have wanted to slap me :doh:

Your hair must be thicker than ii if you're at waist and can't do a nautilus!

Nah, very little risk of infection. My hair is long. I'd be satisfied if my terminal length was no longer than tailbone length (for updo purposes), but since it is not yet inconveniencing me it is still growing toward terminal, whatever that might be. Looks like I'll be reaching knee this year.

w00t! Congrats :)

:laugh: chin was both too short/long at different moments. bsl was soo long. waist became suddenly not long enough at ALL. reaching hip became too long. tbl was never long enough. yet now classic is way too long but now i also can't go back to shorter than hip without rewriting my life to accommodate non hair related activities haha I'm hoping ftl will be okay, but i can already see that knee would be 'just right'. i can't see going further than knee...at the moment. haha

Ha... wait till you get there ;)

mermaid lullaby
February 13th, 2016, 05:23 PM
This thread is funny to read through. You guys are great!

maborosi
February 13th, 2016, 07:08 PM
I'm past my original goal when I found LHC- 36".

And suffice it to say, I'm going to try to grow longer, lol.

Classic it is, then.

Techmouse
February 14th, 2016, 08:17 AM
When I came here, my goal was waist. I am now at waist, and it does feel short, probably due to my thickness. Now I'm thinking, "I wonder what knee length would be like?" I have been infected with LHC-itis, and I don't mind a bit!

LeMimi13
February 14th, 2016, 08:29 AM
I feel the same! I came here because of a haircut given by a stulist without my consent (from about classic to BSL) and now my hair is a hip (was at BCL but I had to trim, given that I had a illness ) and it feels very short still...

JadedByEntropy
July 24th, 2017, 09:57 PM
*bump* this thread was fun. We've all got the bug..

Synester
July 24th, 2017, 10:10 PM
gosh I feel this very hard. my whole life even as a child, my hair has always sat right above my shoulders. never longer. never that much shorter. the longest it was, was barely at BSL and then I went through some emotional chaos and chopped it from past my chin in the front to spikey in they back. ive been growing it out ever since. and my hair is at waist length pretty much. and its still not enough even after getting over the feat of growing it past my shoulders. past BSL and further. I want it to be classic more than the air i breathe. it takes too long. its discouraging and i fear "will i hit terminal soon" and if i DONT hit terminal soon..im sure once i hit classic i will still want more.

leayellena
July 24th, 2017, 11:38 PM
Everything until class is short for me.

SnowDancer
July 25th, 2017, 12:10 AM
My original hair goal was waist. Now the closer I get I want it to be tbl so bad!

Rebeccalaurenxx
July 25th, 2017, 12:46 AM
Honestly because I have had short hair all my life, I do look myself in the mirror every once in awhile and think to myself "man my hair is long!"
Because when you have APL or shorter hair all your life, and think you can never have long hair... well. Its nice. My boyfriend comments how long my hair is getting.
Is it long enough? No, not yet. But I will be happy when its a bit longer and one day it will be long enough. Maybe TBL. Anything longer would be too emotionally overwhelming to me lol I dont think im too focused on having "super long hair" like a lot of users here. I have always been focused on just getting healthier hair and hitting waist just to be sure I am healthy enough for it and if its possible.

Sarahlabyrinth
July 25th, 2017, 01:02 AM
I am heading towards knee, and yesterday I found myself thinking - "Hmmm, what about calf length?" :p Does it NEVER end?Lol

hayheadsbird
July 25th, 2017, 02:37 AM
Waist was my first goal, and it's just about there now. I thought it would feel longer than is does at the moment. The impatience for growth is waning though, but I still want longer. My issue now is deciding on a goal length to wait for. Hip? Hopefully in the next 6-9 months, or tbl? Probably 18 months, classic? 3 years is a long time to wait!

Nique1202
July 25th, 2017, 04:12 AM
I'm finally getting into the home stretch toward classic and the bug is definitely still with me, though much less so. If I had to stay this length I'd be able to live with it, but as long as it's still manageable for me, I want to see what it's like to have more. It's not such a desperate need now that I know tailbone-to-classic is a happy enough place, but I want to have hair long enough to do proper hair taping. I've gotta try it at least once in my life if I can. And if I happen to grow on and on toward my knees, well. :eyebrows:

Wavybrunetteuk
July 25th, 2017, 08:36 AM
I'm afraid I may have this syndrome too; to get to my goal length and still feel the need to grow more.

Garnetgem
July 25th, 2017, 08:41 AM
Been suffering from "not long enough syndrome" for as long as i can remember..i wanted waist then i thought now i am here its so not long enough..i will try for more length got to TBL now classic(just made it) but now i am yearning for knee..not sure if that will cure the syndrome though sigh probably not as there is calf and floor to consider!

Of the Fae
July 25th, 2017, 08:50 AM
Haha yes definitely! My goal length was waist, but even before I reached it, it changed to Classic. When I did reach waist it seemed so much shorter than I thought it would :P

ErinEM
July 25th, 2017, 09:05 AM
Hee hee! Loved reading this thread!

The thing is, I can only see how short or long my hair was in retrospect. I've had long(ish) hair most of my life since my early teens, except once when I had it cut short (2004), and once when I cut it short myself (2009). As it grows out, I think (looking at myself) "Wow, my hair is getting so long!" or (looking at photos) "Wow, I can't believe how long my hair was before I cut it!" (or, more commonly, "Wow, I can't believe I thought my hair was long then! It's longer now!")

I'm happy with how long my hair is (BCL/TBL); I just really wish it were thicker towards the end. It tapers so badly. =\ But, there's nothing I can do about genetics and possibly only a little I can do to mitigate wear and tear.

I'm really curious to see what my terminal length is. That's my goal at the moment. It's not so much that I need it to be whatever length that is; I just want to see how long it can get! I feel like I've been stalled for the past three years. My hair only creeps down incrementally (between trims, when I try to thicken up the ends . . . doesn't seem to be working, so now I'm just going to let it grow. Embrace my fairy-tale ends!).

truepeacenik
July 25th, 2017, 09:42 AM
I am heading towards knee, and yesterday I found myself thinking - "Hmmm, what about calf length?" :p Does it NEVER end?Lol

Hopefully not. ;)

I'm still in the long dark teatime of the thigh. It's like knee is soooo close.
And since the femur is the longest bone in the body, nothing will take this long again.
Plus, calf is what, two inches past knee? Piece of cake.

MusicalSpoons
July 25th, 2017, 10:41 AM
This is a fun thread! :lol:

Before discovering LHC about a year ago, my hair was 'long enough' at anywhere between hip-TBL, and people used to tell me it was SO long ... and I thought it was pretty long too, because that was the longest it grew ... or so I thought! After discovering LHC and switching to more hair-friendly accessories, styles, and washing, one day I found myself accidentally sitting on my suddenly-classic-length hair! (I'd never been able to, before) I think that's when I caught the 'Not Long Enough Syndrome', because FTL was then a realistic goal, and as my hair crept nearer FTL, knee became fairly realistic too!

I think I almost reached FTL but my ends were ridiculously thin and quite shabby, so I trimmed about an inch or so last month; my hair definitely isn't long enough now :rolleyes: truepeacenik has a good point though:

And since the femur is the longest bone in the body, nothing will take this long again.

This is so true! And very encouraging :joy:

JadedByEntropy
July 25th, 2017, 12:25 PM
Hopefully not. ;)

I'm still in the long dark teatime of the thigh. It's like knee is soooo close.

2" ... i've never thought of it like that.:popcorn: whats 2 more once i DO hit knee...oh no! now i think i'm going to calf! whyyyy xD

meteor
July 25th, 2017, 02:51 PM

:p LOL, I am under the impression that yes, length goals can easily turn into "moving targets", often at least one milestone past what one has. That's kind of why I switched my ultimate goal to "terminal" - I simply got tired of my pattern of changing my goal every time I hit a milestone. :)

vpatt
July 25th, 2017, 03:15 PM
I know my hair is much longer than it was 2 or 3 yrs ago. I think it is close to 30". (Not long by LHC standards I know). But I think due to being tall it seems shorter.....well it is shorter on me. I think by this time next year that I will be happier with the length. Although I'm happier now than I was last year and I'm not so obsessed as I was. But I started out thinking I would like waist and now I want more...I'm just not sure how much more, but I have an idea micro trimming may be all I ever do in the future.

Ondine11
July 25th, 2017, 03:59 PM
Since joining this forum, after lots of lurking & working up the courage, I developed a bad case of NOT LONG ENOUGH. Right now, it is past APL & should hit BSL (bottom edge of a conventional bra band) by the end of November. I had originally hoped for BSL hair...UNTIL...I SAW CLASSIC LENGTH HAIR!!! WOWEE!!! I NEED that NOW!!! So, my goal became getting to Classic (should take 2.5 yrs, since I have a short body) BUT...then, someone posted a photo of their THIGH LENGTH hair, & I was enchanted. I know I'm going to wind up leaving my hair grow for a good 4-5 yrs at least, just to see what I can get.

Cherriezzzzz
July 25th, 2017, 04:55 PM
LHC induced hair dysmorphia. ;)

It's also a testament to how we humans adjust to change over time, if I woke up one morning with hair that had magically grown from APL to knee length over night I'd be overwhelmed with 'Omg my hair is so long!' but because it grows slow we get used to it, and it doesn't seem 'long' anymore. And then somehow ten years later you have hair down to your knees, and wonder how that happened! :laugh:

This is how it is for me with having children! I have 4 now and I often hear remarks about "having my hands full." But I don't? They come one at a time :)

I am not officially infected with LHCitis because my hair seems to be growing so fast. (Thanks to all the advice on here!)

But I also think only knee length or longer will do now:horse:

*Wednesday*
July 25th, 2017, 05:51 PM
Full waist was long enough for me. Now I'm in no cutting hair challenges, bunning my hair daily for my next milestone.. full hip length. It's a hair thing..many don't understand.

Wavybrunetteuk
July 27th, 2017, 09:55 PM
Since joining this forum, after lots of lurking & working up the courage, I developed a bad case of NOT LONG ENOUGH. Right now, it is past APL & should hit BSL (bottom edge of a conventional bra band) by the end of November. I had originally hoped for BSL hair...UNTIL...I SAW CLASSIC LENGTH HAIR!!! WOWEE!!! I NEED that NOW!!! So, my goal became getting to Classic (should take 2.5 yrs, since I have a short body) BUT...then, someone posted a photo of their THIGH LENGTH hair, & I was enchanted. I know I'm going to wind up leaving my hair grow for a good 4-5 yrs at least, just to see what I can get.

Haha I had to quote your post, because I'm exactly the same now! I should be at BSL in September or October hopefully. But when I get there it probably won't be long enough for me and so many people here have long beautiful hair! So I've changed my mind, MBL is the 'cut off' point for me! I swear! Haha

peachyleshy
July 27th, 2017, 10:32 PM
I too suffer from this syndrome. But maybe I have reason to right now since my hair isn't even to waist ... It almost is, but doesn't look like it. I hope once I reach tailbone I get over that and can actually see it as long.
This kind of happened when I used to dye my hair blonde. I had gotten it really light, but it still never looked blonde to me. Of course I just don't have the complexion for blonde hair. So maybe that is why; it just looked unnatural.

tseh
July 27th, 2017, 11:40 PM
Yes I recognise this too. I started growing from CBL thinking BSL would be nice, somewhere past APL I dreamed of waist lenght hair. And now in MBL flirting with waist lenght I decided go to hip.

I see all this beautiful hair in here LHC and some times I can be so impatient and get frustrated because I want it all and I want now. Then I know it's time to bun my hair, take a break and do something else.

JadedByEntropy
July 28th, 2017, 02:23 PM
I too suffer from this syndrome. But maybe I have reason to right now since my hair isn't even to waist ... It almost is, but doesn't look like it. I hope once I reach tailbone I get over that and can actually see it as long.
This kind of happened when I used to dye my hair blonde. I had gotten it really light, but it still never looked blonde to me. Of course I just don't have the complexion for blonde hair. So maybe that is why; it just looked unnatural.

ooh blond is a dangerous one. the line between brown and blond is so hard to define, and then you can always find darker pieces within it that look 'too brown' and convince yourself its not blond. I did the same! and it did not look good on me...

Xan
August 11th, 2017, 06:15 AM
Yup. I don't think I'll be content until it reaches the floor :sad

I totally hear you, I'm starting to feel the same way quite an addictive process.lol :)

Xan
August 11th, 2017, 06:19 AM
Haha Sarah you will be at calf thinking ankle sounds like fun .lol I feel the same way it never seems long enough,

Zesty
August 11th, 2017, 02:54 PM
I'm glad this thread was resurrected, reading the responses has been fun.

I go back and forth... Sometimes I feel my hair on my butt and I'm like "OooOOOoooh I'm an elven princess, watch me flip my beautiful long locks" and other times it seems like it doesn't even qualify as long, despite what people say to me.

I may eat my words later, but I think the LHC-itis will end and I won't want to go much past classic. I've discovered during this second grow-out that I really like to wear my hair down, and from what other members here say, when you can sit on it it's a different beast altogether. Plus there's my terminal length to think about, and the inevitable damage that comes from wearing it loose, and so on... So I imagine myself becoming one who bounces between TBL and true classic in the long run. But perhaps after microtrimming at classic to see if my ends will thicken...

Jas
August 12th, 2017, 07:27 AM
Oh yes this thread definitely resonates with me xD

Sometimes I feel like I'm doing well and "getting there", will pull on it in the shower to see how long it is wet and stretched and think yeah that's pretty good.. but..there's always a but... I'm aiming for classic but I think I'll feel the same way when I get there too.

It's currently at hip length now and I just keep really hoping my terminal length isn't too soon.

QuietVixen
August 12th, 2017, 03:28 PM
I for certain have the "not long enough" syndrome. My hair has finally reached BSL (the longest it has literally ever been), but now I'm just itching for waist length hair. I need to appreciate my longer hair more. The BSL hair should be my achievement, not a barrier to disregard and something I attempt to quickly bypass. Yay for my BSL hair, but waist length still sounds really nice. :)

Everyone has beautiful hair!

JadedByEntropy
August 12th, 2017, 06:37 PM
I for certain have the "not long enough" syndrome. My hair has finally reached BSL (the longest it has literally ever been), but now I'm just itching for waist length hair. I need to appreciate my longer hair more. The BSL hair should be my achievement, not a barrier to disregard and something I attempt to quickly bypass. Yay for my BSL hair, but waist length still sounds really nice. :)

Everyone has beautiful hair!

YAY! congrats! longest-ever is a HUGE accomplishment. relish it!

Dark40
August 12th, 2017, 09:30 PM
I feel this all of the time too. I never think that my hair is long enough, and it is MBL almost waist length. I think that once I reach my goal. Which is ankle length I will feel much better with the feeling of it being long.

Wavybrunetteuk
August 12th, 2017, 10:10 PM
I feel this all of the time too. I never think that my hair is long enough, and it is MBL almost waist length. I think that once I reach my goal. Which is ankle length I will feel much better with the feeling of it being long.

That's interesting because to me MBL is long XD, APL is not long to me yet. I hope when I reach BSL I will overcome this 'not long enough syndrome', otherwise I will just keep growing me hair until it's 'long enough'

Wavybrunetteuk
August 12th, 2017, 10:16 PM

That's interesting because to me MBL is long XD, APL is not long to me yet. I hope when I reach BSL I will overcome this 'not long enough syndrome', otherwise I will just keep growing me hair until it's 'long enough' haha maybe I'll be back to this thread next year

leayellena
August 13th, 2017, 01:43 AM
My hair will never be long enough expect because of layers.

LinzDigital
August 17th, 2017, 02:27 AM
My hair will never be long enough expect because of layers.

Same! My longest bit seems pretty long to me at waist, never having had it, but my shortest bit above BSL makes me feel like its all too short and I'll never get there with having to regrow a layered cut. (Dang hair dressers always trying to cut all your hair off!)

pili
August 17th, 2017, 08:55 AM
I am so in the throws of this right now. I did twin English braids yesterday and the tassels only reach APL, i want them at BSL at least. Patience, patience.

animetor7
August 17th, 2017, 10:43 AM
I'm struggling with this right now. It will be at least a year and a half until I'm at my next goal, tailbone. And as I've kept my hair around waist/hip length for four years due to boredom or cutting out some damage, I'm just itching to "move on" as it were. I'm trying to ameliorate the effects of this impatience by tweaking my routine to try and find my perfect one, basically to give myself something to do while waiting. Has anyone found a way to stay patient in the meantime?

marvel-lover
August 17th, 2017, 04:54 PM
Well, I'm now in here too. I just upped my goal length to mid-butt, but I intend on trimming it so it's a U-shaped hemline. My original goal was hip, then waist, then classic, and then hip.

Xan
August 19th, 2017, 12:21 AM
[QUOTE=Dark40;3447595]I feel this all of the time too. I never think that my hair is long enough, and it is MBL almost waist length. I think that once I reach my goal. Which is ankle length I will feel much better with the feeling of it being long.[/QUOT
I hear that I wanted waist in the beginning now I'm at almost classic. I want to go really long now knee to ankle, but floor length would be a dream.

Ghaliya
September 1st, 2017, 09:48 AM
I am so in the throws of this right now. I did twin English braids yesterday and the tassels only reach APL, i want them at BSL at least. Patience, patience.

Yes!!!! I have a love-hate relationship wirh braiding because I always stare at where the tassel ends....so discouraging!! I want the tassel to end at my hip hehe...long way to go!

TatsuOni
September 2nd, 2017, 10:18 AM
I feel that my hair isn't long enough and that it isn't long at all :p It's BCL and I'm going for terminal, so it won't be "long enough" for many years, but it is long. When I see someone else with the same length I think, ohh that is long! And then I remember that my hair is the same length so it should be long, but still I don't see it as long.

When I was at BSL I thought that I would see my hair as long at WL. At WL I thought that I would see it as long at HL and so on. Maybe some day I will see myself as a long hair :p

Dendra
September 2nd, 2017, 05:13 PM
I have this too, though it doesn't bother me. My hair actually is still quite short, but it's nearing the longest I've ever had it. Perhaps I'll find it long at waist?

Sarahlabyrinth
September 2nd, 2017, 05:21 PM
I have been thinking about this "not-long-enough" thing and I think that in my case, now, it's more like "ends-not-thick-enough", lol. Always something.... :rolleyes: I guess that's hair for ya!

Jo Ann
September 2nd, 2017, 08:39 PM
When I'm in the shower and wash my hair, it IS long! I can see it as a dark blonette snake reaching the lower part of my hip bone. When it's dry, though, because of the fairy tale ends, it doesn't SEEM long because the ends "disappear," unless I'm doing something like oiling or brushing my hair, and have all of my hair in one or two places (for example, parted in the center in the back and brought forward over my shoulders). *sigh*

Does that mean I have the best (?) of both worlds? Not long enough and gee-that's-long? *scratches head*

Estrid
September 3rd, 2017, 01:05 AM
I experience this quite a lot, now my hair is short again since I cut out damage + some more, but when I reached waist length, that was my first goal, it felt so short! It is the longest my hair has ever been, but I'm positive I want longer hair than that. I will probably take one milestone at a time as a goal (atm goal is hip length, will take a few years to get there), but I'm getting more and more sure that I will want at least tailbone length hair in the end, possibly even down to knee length.

LizzyGrant
September 3rd, 2017, 02:33 AM
I have this too. I'm sure my hair won't even feel long before at least hip. I've always had my hair hovering around BSL-MBL-Waist, so those lengths don't feel long to me. At least for me, hip seems to be the first length in the "abnormally long" category, if you know what I mean, and I want that. But like Sarahlabyrinth said, I also have the "ends-not-thick-enough" syndrome :rolleyes: Anyway I'm so excited about this journey even if there's always something I want to improve lol!

cathair
September 3rd, 2017, 06:17 AM
I think my hair could always be longer, but it's long enough for me to be happy now. I'd just like to know that when people stare at my hair, it's because of the length. Not because it's the thinnest hair they have ever seen on another human being. Or the whitest on someone under 50.

Friday I was told 'your hair is so thin', so I told 'em I'd cut it twice in the last two months and immediately shoved it down my swearshirt.

martyna_22
September 3rd, 2017, 06:25 AM
I was just thinking about a phenomenon of mine. I started growing from chin, when I got here, I was a little past shoulder. I decided I wanted to grow to MBL. About a year, I thought. So my hair grew.. next year, when I was about my goal, I thought - oh, why not waist? It's such a nice marker. Give it another year (I had a setback along the road, got my hair cut into layers I didn't want, had to trim off a fair amount - it would've taken me a year, took about 2). At waist I thought - hip? Why not! A year.
I liked it for a while, trimmed off some thinner parts. But then I felt some itching - BCL maybe? Yeah. I am there now :)

I decided to grow to TBL. But the last 2-3" of my hair don't satisfy me and I'll have to trim it anyway. So until I get to solid, thick, satisfying TBL, I'll have to wait another year :D

Have I fallen into the trap of some weird one-year rule? Will I feel the urge to grow to classic a year from now?

MusicalSpoons
September 3rd, 2017, 08:54 AM
I was just thinking about a phenomenon of mine. I started growing from chin, when I got here, I was a little past shoulder. I decided I wanted to grow to MBL. About a year, I thought. So my hair grew.. next year, when I was about my goal, I thought - oh, why not waist? It's such a nice marker. Give it another year (I had a setback along the road, got my hair cut into layers I didn't want, had to trim off a fair amount - it would've taken me a year, took about 2). At waist I thought - hip? Why not! A year.
I liked it for a while, trimmed off some thinner parts. But then I felt some itching - BCL maybe? Yeah. I am there now :)

I decided to grow to TBL. But the last 2-3" of my hair don't satisfy me and I'll have to trim it anyway. So until I get to solid, thick, satisfying TBL, I'll have to wait another year :D

Have I fallen into the trap of some weird one-year rule? Will I feel the urge to grow to classic a year from now?

:laugh: probably! LHC-itis, perhaps?

My original short-term goal was classic, then when I was about an inch or so away, I thought it would be interesting to try for FTL, and now I'm within an inch of that I realised knee was most likely an achievable goal ... if (when? I hope) I get there I'll probably think about going for calf, and so on until my hair either gives up or tapers far too much.

Maybe we all have our own personal thresholds for when we start looking to the next goal :D

Jo Ann
September 3rd, 2017, 12:51 PM
Martyna, it just means you're keeping your near-term goals within a reasonable time frame, that's all ;)

potsie
September 3rd, 2017, 04:42 PM
when i was a little girl i was always in love with classical paintings of women with long, wavy, flowing hair; and i always wanted to recreate that image with myself. even now, with my curly, waist-length hair, i'm still not happy!!!

Wavybrunetteuk
September 3rd, 2017, 05:38 PM
I feel that my hair still looks short in photos, so I feel like it's not long enough. Hopefully at BSL/MBL I'll feel it's actually longish.

divinedobbie
September 3rd, 2017, 06:26 PM
I think my hair could always be longer, but it's long enough for me to be happy now. I'd just like to know that when people stare at my hair, it's because of the length. Not because it's the thinnest hair they have ever seen on another human being. Or the whitest on someone under 50.

Friday I was told 'your hair is so thin', so I told 'em I'd cut it twice in the last two months and immediately shoved it down my swearshirt.

I haven't seen any pics of your hair down but I just looked at your updo's album and your bun's look big! I wouldn't think you hair is thin at all if I saw you.

JadedByEntropy
September 4th, 2017, 08:37 PM
martyna_22 i get the 1 year challenges. they're short enough length that i can wait without much commitment. I'd say that tbl is sooo close to classic though, that even if your ends are thin, sitting at classic for a year might be easier than sitting at tbl and then also sitting at classic. ;) Thats been my logic-grow long then thicken later. I just did a whole year of thickening after 4 growing and it felt good though.

MusicalSpoons I don't know if i've waited to move a goal. i saw classic as the stopping point on my way to FTL...from APL. now i'm like...knee might be the impossible-is-now-possible goal and already shifted to that one without even the last 2-3" :laugh:

Wavybrunetteuk photos seem to lie. :laugh: it always feels longer than it looks..i'm limited to monthly length photos and just do updo photos so i can't compare or obsess. :)
benign neglect is easier if there is actual neglect happening.

martyna_22
September 4th, 2017, 09:08 PM
You're all right :D At least I don't get frustrated that my golas are unrealistic - and let's face it - chin to MBL seems much more attainable at first than classic! :)

GrowingOut
September 5th, 2017, 04:58 AM
I have hair to my knees and it never feels long enough!

Xan
October 18th, 2017, 09:05 PM

I hear you totally at almost classic it feels like its getting long but knee to floor sounds so awesome, the longer it gets the longer I want it. Stop motivating me people,lol

lulikrueger
October 19th, 2017, 12:06 AM
I'm aware that waist+ is long but I'm now at hip and it doesn't FEEL long enough. I will literally see someone with hair SHORTER than mine and go "I wish my hair was thay length" and people will tell me mine is LONGER.
I think it'll only feel long-long when I hit classic.
Still, I'm thinking about dying it and even though it doesn't feel long, it'll ask for at least 6 tubes of hair dye.

Sarahlabyrinth
October 19th, 2017, 12:35 AM

I know that feeling :D :p

Todd
October 19th, 2017, 06:00 AM
I could use a trim (I like blunt ends) but I would lose too much length! Its not long enough yet!

Isobibbel
October 20th, 2017, 04:17 PM
i had to cut my layers out a month ago, cause they were annoying me so much, leaving my hair between apl and bsl, but it feels so much shorter!

Jo Ann
October 20th, 2017, 07:16 PM
I miss looking sideways in the mirror and seeing my hair well below the waistband of my jeans!

Next year...next year it will be long enough...maybe next year...

WeirdCatEars
October 20th, 2017, 07:43 PM
My hair is mid-thigh, when straightened it is about 5cm away from my knees, it’s gotten to the point where I’ve had to change my lab hairstyle because it was too heavy to be sturdy and safe anymore and I’m constantly sitting on it/getting it stuck under my foot when I get up from the floor. Yet it still feels so short! 😭 I’ve accepted I’ll never feel like I have long hair, I’ll just feel like the rest of the world has increasingly short hair.

longmane
October 21st, 2017, 12:04 AM
I didn't have this syndrome before I learnt healthy hair care. Now that I now the potential of my hair, I keep wanting it longer and longer.

Pumpkin3826
December 18th, 2017, 09:51 AM
I am so happy to see other people have the same problem! I end up feeling guilty and vain when I get impatient with my hair. It is at BCL and that is a lot longer then some people can even grow their hair. I know I should just be happy with what I have at every stage but it is so hard to not look forward to the next goal.

lapushka
December 18th, 2017, 10:38 AM
At first I was going for classic. I got to classic September of 2015. Then cut back a year later, November 2016, to hip. Now I'm growing back out to classic again, and willing to take it beyond that. If it's uncomfortable for me, it sadly will have to remain at classic, but I am so wanting to grow beyond it, it's not even funny!

PixiePuff
December 18th, 2017, 11:13 AM
That's how I feel right now. My hair is tapered and layered so only parts of it are tailbone length. I'm only 5 feet tall so that length isn't very long compared to a lot of people with hair that reaches their tailbone. Everyone says my hair is so long, but I see all these women who are taller than me and have longer hair just reaching their mid back and it's hard to feel like my hair is long at all comparatively.

Guitargod
December 18th, 2017, 11:55 AM
Definitely...
I know I could cut back to hip and it would still be what others would call very long - and what I would have considered very long myself before - and a lot thicker and healthier looking.
But it isn't long enough :)

Dark40
December 18th, 2017, 12:36 PM
Haha Sarah you will be at calf thinking ankle sounds like fun .lol I feel the same way it never seems long enough,

Oh, I definitely thnk that is long enough ankles. That is my goal. Especially, since my hair has never been that long before.

Sarahlabyrinth
December 18th, 2017, 01:04 PM
Oh, I definitely thnk that is long enough ankles. That is my goal. Especially, since my hair has never been that long before.

Well, I can see that happening :D :p

Dark40
December 18th, 2017, 06:04 PM
Well, I can see that happening :D :p

Yes, me too! :D Thanks! :)

Wavybrunetteuk
December 18th, 2017, 08:05 PM
I realise my hair goal keeps changing. But now I'm air drying my hair and letting it curl. I've noticed my hair is almost at BSL and it's already losing its curl in the bottom layers.

Actually I'd really like longer hair, but I want wavy hair more. So I've changed my mind AGAIN and decided to nurture my waves. Maybe when my hair is all one length and healthier, I can try to grow long waves. I plan to really research into looking after wavy hair.

So I think for now, unfortunately, I have to stop growing it at BSL. So I don't have this syndrome anymore. We will see.

Griselda
December 18th, 2017, 09:57 PM
Yes! I always had the feeling my hair was not long enough. My hair goals were always superloooong, so it only stopped when they reached floor :lol:

dvep
December 18th, 2017, 11:53 PM
Yep, but I think for me it's exacerbated by the fact that my hair tapers.. I'm BCL+ now and would feel more confident if my front layers weren't drastically shorter!

Krissycats
December 19th, 2017, 12:24 AM
My layers are making my hair feel short. It seems like it is only long in the back where it tapers.

Raevyngoddess
December 19th, 2017, 01:40 AM
Definitely, but mine is so short rn. I'll be glad when I reach shoulder length, lol.

vpatt
December 20th, 2017, 05:14 AM
I keep thinking hip or tailbone will be enough......lol

Suze
December 20th, 2017, 05:35 AM
Oh, yes! The 'not long enough' thing. I really hope for me WL will feel long enough. I don't think my hair will look good at longer lengths then that. When I look in the mirror my hair still looks really short even though it's longer then it has ever been, so weird. But I'm also the person that lost 45% of her bodyweight and still felt to big so that puts things into perspective. At some point I just tell myself this is it, you should be happy with this.

lapushka
December 21st, 2017, 02:40 PM
I'm going for thigh, I think. I am trying to hit & surpass classic next year. If I succeed, because if it's not comfortable after classic, I am so cutting back to classic length, but I would love to see what that kind of length does for me.

Agnes Hannah
December 21st, 2017, 02:45 PM
Mine is currently hitting Classic again after a trim earlier this year. I have very fine ends but I think mid thigh would be good....

MotherofJames
December 21st, 2017, 05:02 PM
Girl Everyyyyday. Lol . The struggle is real :happydance:

Xan
December 21st, 2017, 06:01 PM
Girl Everyyyyday. Lol . The struggle is real :happydance:

I'm telling ya, I started wanting waist length now almost classic and still want more. I don't think ill be happy until it hits the floor.lol

JadedByEntropy
December 21st, 2017, 10:10 PM
Thigh is not enough, and I always promised I'd stop around fingertip...hmmm
I also didn't realize where thigh is on a human being because I still feel like it's classic. It can't be that long yet

Dark40
December 23rd, 2017, 07:55 PM
Thigh is not enough, and I always promised I'd stop around fingertip...hmmm
I also didn't realize where thigh is on a human being because I still feel like it's classic. It can't be that long yet

I think thigh length is long enough for me. I had set my goal to thigh length when I first joined the LHC but I have changed it to ankle length. That's if it's comfortable for me at that length. Then, if not I will cut back to thigh length.

mayfaring
December 23rd, 2017, 11:58 PM
I feel this. I'm always torn about trimming because I want beautiful, undamaged ends, but I also want length. I only want it all.

Alissalocks
December 24th, 2017, 08:10 AM
I feel this. I'm always torn about trimming because I want beautiful, undamaged ends, but I also want length. I only want it all.

For real. Throw in "I hate these layers" and "I think I'm in a stall" and you've got all 4 hair related thoughts I ever ever have.

Wavybrunetteuk
December 24th, 2017, 09:16 AM
For real. Throw in "I hate these layers" and "I think I'm in a stall" and you've got all 4 hair related thoughts I ever ever have.

Hahaha you are so right XD

Me: I want long hair, but I want thicker hair, but I want it all one length, I want curly hair but I don't want frizzy hair. Haha

Alissalocks
December 26th, 2017, 04:36 PM
Hahaha you are so right XD

Me: I want long hair, but I want thicker hair, but I want it all one length, I want curly hair but I don't want frizzy hair. Haha Ooo curly girl problems! Just the way we humans are I guess :laugh: want the perfect balance.

Arciela
December 27th, 2017, 02:50 AM
I def can relate...I thought I'd be happy at TBL and would just let it continue growing but its still not long enough for me. Going for knee for sure and probably even longer :flower:

Salwety
December 28th, 2017, 05:23 PM
Count me in. My pre LHC goal was to reach WL with healthy hair. When I reached BSL and my hair was still in good condition, my goal shifted to CL. Now at almost WL and my hair is still in good condition, and I have this felling that I can reach CL and beyond (knee length). Yes I have it.

Xan
December 28th, 2017, 09:26 PM
I hear you lets grow to our max .Saw a lady with knee+ I was jelly. lol

Saige
December 29th, 2017, 02:18 AM
Me! This is me right the moment! I trimmed off a few inches the other day and I'm regretting it already, even though it really needed to be done. It just feels too short now :p How can losing a few inches make such a difference when I have so much hair?!

lottiealice
December 30th, 2017, 12:40 PM
Not long enough, not thick enough, not healthy enough. At least I can try to remedy the last one, I just have to remind myself that I've made some good progress and that I can't get perfectly healthy knee-length hair with plaits as thick as my fists in a year. ;) Patience isn't my strongest quality.

Agnes Eliza
March 6th, 2018, 07:27 PM
This thread was so fun and interesting to read through! I wonder if I will get "not long enough" syndrome when I reach my goal of BSL. I have never had it longer than that before, so right now it seems enough. But I know that I am very goal-oriented and that when I reach a goal I tend to make another one, so I can easily see myself getting to BSL and thinking "Hm, waist is only a few inches away..." :p

Ligeia Noire
March 6th, 2018, 07:42 PM
My face framing layers are at classic, the rest at top calf, sometimes I wonder if I should bite the bullet...

rapunzelna
March 6th, 2018, 08:29 PM
Ligeia, you have the most amazing hair and your journey has been amazing to watch. I’d hate to see you bite the bullet now!

nycelle
March 6th, 2018, 08:30 PM
My face framing layers are at classic, the rest at top calf, sometimes I wonder if I should bite the bullet...

I'm pretty sure I remember seeing pics of your hair, and you have a great hemline.

As for me- My goal is still the same, waist length with a thick hemline. I'm fine with trimming something like 1/2" every three months to keep my ends on the thicker side, even if it takes longer to get to the length I want.
In fact, I'm much more obsessed about the health of my hair than the length right now. So learning all I can, and trying various things to keep it moisturized and healthy.

Ligeia Noire
March 6th, 2018, 08:35 PM
Thanks Nycelle, Rapunzelna, I just wanted to have my hair all in one length and not have strands sticking out every time I braid and I do braid every day, that is all I wear braided buns.

AutobotsAttack
March 6th, 2018, 10:10 PM
So far this year, not long enough syndrome has really been giving me a hard time.
And I’ve actually seen great growth progress. But every time I look at my hair sometimes I feel like I’m still at mid back length or bra strap length (no offense to those who are). I can feel it right over my bum, I can see it when I detangle or braid my hair, and yet I feel like it’s just not long enough.

And it seems like the emotion at the forefront has morphed from “well, I’ll get there soon enough”, to just irritation/frustration.

Clearly there’s nothing wrong. I mean its hair, it’ll grow like it always does, and yet I find myself frustrated. Seems like every almost everyday now.

circlers
March 7th, 2018, 02:50 PM
Talk about not long enough syndrome, I have APL hair (almost BSL) and I used to have my hair at around MBL before I cut it in 2016 and back then it already wasn't long enough (but it was horribly damaged) and now, not only is my hair "not long enough" but my original goal, which was HL and then TBL, became "not long enough" so I set a new goal (CL), which seems okay but who knows what I'll think by then!

wannabe-rusalka
March 7th, 2018, 08:34 PM
I have this so badly! When I first started I thought that waist was really long and that was my goal length but the longer I stay the more I wanna grow to classic

longmane
March 8th, 2018, 06:37 PM
I think I am slowly healing from my Not Long Enough syndrome! I have been trying to convince myself that Other than caring for the hair I already have to my best ability, I have no control over hair growth. I shouldn't be aiming for a certain goal because you never know if my hair could even reach that length! So basically how ever long it is I assume it could be the longest it can reach.

Laura1986
March 10th, 2018, 04:23 AM
There are probably a lot of reasons and influences, from "you've never seen long hair that looked healthy before the LHC except in old paintings so it never seemed attainable" to "western society tends to value wanting to be better or different instead of trying to be happy with what you have, changing hair means damaging it, and damaging habits are incompatible with long hair so the west abandoned long hair as a valuable trait on the whole". At least we have the internet to bring together like-minded folks to support and educate each other now. :cheer:

I recognize this...
I just joined the LHC. After two dramatic chops (APL to long bob to pixie) I deeply regret the visits to the hairdresser...
I learn from this experience that I need to be more aware and thankful for what I already have. Changing and doing things doesn't necessarily mean that thing become better.

Salwety
March 11th, 2018, 12:48 AM
I think a big part of this syndrome in my case is due to shrinkage. I am a 3b/c. So my WL hair shrinks to APL when dry and curly. But I still enjoy it during wash day when it is wet and full of oil and conditioner, and I can pass a comb through it :D

JadedByEntropy
March 11th, 2018, 07:28 PM
I have this so badly! When I first started I thought that waist was really long and that was my goal length but the longer I stay the more I wanna grow to classic

just you wait...classic is the halfway mark xD

ravenskey
March 18th, 2018, 03:45 PM
I get this so much.

I wanted WL hair for the past year and only decided to say I reached the milestone this January but looking at my hair properly now it's really obvious that I reached WL ages before because I'm only about 1.5" away from hip now and my waist and hip are about 4" from each other.

To add to that I also look at other people in my school who have nice hair and wish mine was the same length but except for around 4 other girls mine is longer than theirs.

I'm aiming for terminal length as of this year but am breaking it up into one milestone at a time chunks so I don't give up in despair.
Hopefully by the end of this year, taking a several inch chop to get rid of damage and my own insecurity about my hair into account, I will have nice, healthy HL+ hair.

moniee
March 19th, 2018, 07:13 AM
Ooooh I was wondering why I was thinking that all the time! It's so good to see others having the same issue. I am waist length now, hair has never been this long in my life. I still feel it can't really be considered 'long' for some reason - it just seems 'normal' to me!
Wonder why

Arctic
March 19th, 2018, 07:37 AM
I guess I am a bit of an anomaly here: I am very pleased with my length (upper BSL stretched) and can't wait to reach my final goal of full, unstretched BSL in some months and then - - - stop growing, and start maintaining!

Raventresses
July 2nd, 2018, 08:13 AM
I absolutely can relate. I always wanted waist length hair, and now it's BCL, way past waist, but still feels so short! Even though I get complimented on the length often, it just doesn't seem that long. *sigh*

kamileona
July 2nd, 2018, 09:07 AM
My hair was tailbone length when i cut it all back to collarbone. It wasnt until after the cut i realized how LONG it really was! I never thought of it as particularly long

maybeinaforest
July 2nd, 2018, 01:47 PM
I always thought waist length hair was super long. I figured if I ever made it that far I'd finally have "long" hair. Now that I'm there, it really doesn't feel super long. It's sort of medium long feeling. Guess I'll keep going!

leayellena
July 3rd, 2018, 02:13 AM
I subscribed to no trimming challenges for the next 2 years. Already started to think about how long my hair will look after 2 years... ;)

spirals
July 4th, 2018, 12:39 AM
Mine is at BCL and that's the longest it has ever been. Still feels medium to me.

softheartedandl
July 4th, 2018, 10:56 AM
I remember when I was in junior high and I so desperately wanted my hair elbow length. I was pretty close, maybe like an inch or so off. I had the longest hair in my school, even though it wasn't a conscious decision to grow my hair super long at the time. Imagining my hair at elbow length and thinking about how feminine and pretty I would feel with hair that long is I think the first time I decided I wanted really long hair! In Autumn of 2016 I was almost to classic when I decided I wanted secular hair (FOR SOME DUMB REASON) and I chopped it to mid-back and cut layers in and started blow-drying it just because I wanted to be "normal" I guess. Now I've got my layers grown out and I'm taking care of my hair just like I did when it was almost classic (that's when it was in the best condition I've ever had I think). I'm at tailbone right now and it feels sooooo short. I look back on being so ecstatic on hitting elbow length hair and feeling like Rapunzel but if I cut my hair to elbow length right now I think I would feel bald.

daisy rei
July 4th, 2018, 05:44 PM
Only since my most recent chop (maybe three months ago) have I felt my hair isn't long enough. It was a significant amount, like four inches, and I really haven't felt my hair has looked the same since.

Arciela
July 5th, 2018, 01:23 PM
Mine is creeping towards classic and still doesn't feel long..maybe FTL will >.> I wanna say..when its FTL in the front...maybe then? Argh lol.

Agnes Hannah
July 5th, 2018, 01:35 PM
I'm at just past FTL and could do with another couple of inches, knee at least. Maybe I will maintain then he he he

DanceInSunshine
July 6th, 2018, 01:58 PM
I understand! When it’s wet, combed, and very straight, it’s solidly hip length and I feel so very pretty, and excited about the length. Then... the humidity kicks in. I usually sleep in overnight curlers in the summer, so when it’s humid my curls turn into loose, poofy waves (which I enjoy very much). Problem is, much of my thickness ends about 3 inches from the bottom, and my ends seem to turn invisible when it’s poofy, so it’s visually only about waist length. That’s frustrating for me!

LillithTheFirst
July 9th, 2018, 04:44 PM
I was at classic length then just trimmed all the way back to hip length. Now I have a nice thick hem. The fear of the trim, and not being long enough stopped me from proper maintenance. Still feels short, but I kno3 in my head it’s not, my partner he jokes that I have a “bob” haircut...

spirals
July 12th, 2018, 05:53 PM
Mine is creeping towards classic and still doesn't feel long..maybe FTL will >.> I wanna say..when its FTL in the front...maybe then? Argh lol.

Hee hee this post really is making me LOL!

Xan
July 12th, 2018, 10:34 PM

Totally understand almost classic but think knee-ankles would be lovely.

restless
July 13th, 2018, 05:28 AM
Yes, I do indeed suffer from the "Not long enough" syndrome. Years ago when my hair journey began I just wanted "really long hair" and meant waist/hip length when I said so. Here I am at BCL and its still not enough. Im not in complete denial though as I do have moments when I find myself thinking "Woah its getting long. What am I gonna do with all of this?", but, y´know... I still want more.

And here I am, 2.5 years later with "only" hip length hair :p I reached TBL and realised it was way too much/way too long/ends were way too thin for me and cut back. Ive been maintaining for the past year or so and Im happy here.

velvetpuddles
July 13th, 2018, 07:16 AM
I never intended to have "really long" hair...it just sort of happened when I wasn't paying attention. I mean, I've usually always kept it on the longer side (with a few instances of complete chops). But I never really thought about it.

Now here I am at tailbone (which always seemed so outrageous to have hair this long) and I find myself thinking "who am I kidding... this isn't long!" And I want to keep it going until I reach a point where it seems LONG to me. But I don't know if that point exists or if I'll ever be satisfied!!

spirals
July 14th, 2018, 02:03 PM
I was thinking yesterday that I've hit my goal. I originally wanted waist and then changed to hip or BCL. I will probably let it go to tailbone but I've never really cared about getting there because all I really wanted was to cover my back fat. Achievement unlocked. My hair is heavy and so at BCL I am having a hard time with it. At this point I can't imagine going past tailbone or maaaaybe classic (which would probably fall at tailbone because my hair bounces). I think if I got to classic I'd probably impulsively cut back to cut down the annoyance. We'll see.

Xan
July 19th, 2018, 12:10 AM
Totally understand I'm at almost classic but still not happy let's go floor. Haha no really

lapushka
July 19th, 2018, 03:31 PM
Totally understand I'm at almost classic but still not happy let's go floor. Haha no really

Almost at classic, when you get there, that has got to deserve its own celebratory thread (with pictures of course). ;) :D

Milkchocolate
July 26th, 2018, 08:02 PM
I hit my initial goal a few years ago. It was just above my butt, and that is what I had wanted for years... but then I got bitten by the hair bug and up and decided i want an even knee length!!
I’m about 5 or so inches away now.
I am seriously wondering if I’ll go any further in the future! I keep wanting to push my limits just for fun :)
It’s just so fun representing my dedication to things

Joules
October 6th, 2018, 07:39 AM
I just realised I don't view anything shorter than Classic as "long hair". Not even on others! I saw a girl with TBL hair the other day and thought "nah, it's not that long, I can still see her butt".

So yeah, I guess "I can still see your butt" is the new definition of short hair :hmm:

I'm wondering what kind of length discrimination will be happening in my head when I approach Classic. Am I gonna hate everything shorter than floor? :rollin: (I sure hope my terminal won't come earlier than Classic, it would be a Shakespearean tragedy if it does :rollin:)

TatsuOni
October 6th, 2018, 08:41 AM
I just realised I don't view anything shorter than Classic as "long hair". Not even on others! I saw a girl with TBL hair the other day and thought "nah, it's not that long, I can still see her butt".

So yeah, I guess "I can still see your butt" is the new definition of short hair :hmm:

I'm wondering what kind of length discrimination will be happening in my head when I approach Classic. Am I gonna hate everything shorter than floor? :rollin: (I sure hope my terminal won't come earlier than Classic, it would be a Shakespearean tragedy if it does :rollin:)

I've reached classic and am finally starting to admit to myself that my hair is long. But hey, it's not that long! I'm not satisfied yet! :laugh:

Natalia_A00
October 6th, 2018, 11:29 AM
My hair is close to waist but still not waist... sometimes I get desperate because I want it to grow faster and it doesn't seem long enough. However people still tell me that my hair is pretty long and I'm like: "wow no, you should see people with actual REALLY long hair" They would go crazy if they saw this forum lol

daisy rei
October 6th, 2018, 12:19 PM

This is happening to me as well. Now also when I see braids I think they should be at classic length.

Although I will say seeing hair that drags on the floor is always a little alarming to me for some reason. I can't help but think, "Pick that poor hair up - it's getting dirty!"

MusicalSpoons
October 6th, 2018, 01:52 PM
This is happening to me as well. Now also when I see braids I think they should be at classic length.

Although I will say seeing hair that drags on the floor is always a little alarming to me for some reason. I can't help but think, "Pick that poor hair up - it's getting dirty!"

If I ever had hair beyond floor length (in my dreams!) I think I'd go one of two ways: either I'd be extremely careful and precious about where it's let down, or not really care (within reason) because I could easily wash the ends if they get dirty without having to wash any extra hair that didn't need it :laugh:

lapushka
October 6th, 2018, 02:41 PM
Guys, you know. I think I definitely caught "the bug". I am going for knee, no question. I am currently fingertip length (just reached it this week) and yes, I'm looking forward to growing more length! Last trim was November 2016 (back to hip) and I have been growing ever since.

LHC'itis here I come! Bring it on, woohooo! :happydance:

JennGalt
October 6th, 2018, 04:28 PM
Congrats on reaching FTL, Lapushka!! :cheer: You’ve got one of my fave manes on here and I can only imagine how lovely it will look at KL. Glad you caught the bug :D

lapushka
October 6th, 2018, 04:46 PM
Congrats on reaching FTL, Lapushka!! :cheer: You’ve got one of my fave manes on here and I can only imagine how lovely it will look at KL. Glad you caught the bug :D

Thank you so much for the support. I really appreciate it. And thank you so much for the lovely compliment. :D

paulownia
October 7th, 2018, 02:09 AM
I didn’t catch that syndrome yet;) but if I spent some more time on LHC, who knows?
I still think that I won’t pursue anything longer than mid-back. The thought of having hair that long is pretty scary ;)

squirrrel
October 7th, 2018, 02:53 AM
I think it’s worse if you trick yourself into thinking it isn’t growing. A month ago I measured and got one length. Today I measured and got a result 1.5 cm shorter. No doubt a mix of wavy hair and mix measuring.

Vacurlylady
October 7th, 2018, 03:32 AM
Wow! I loved reading every single comment on this thread! Congratulations to all who have reached their goal and beyond. Before joining LHC, I had no idea people could go years without a cut or even a slight trim. I am so looking forward to growing and learning all I can from all of you gorgeous ladies! I am praying to catch the “not long enough” syndrome too!!!

lapushka
October 7th, 2018, 03:52 AM
Wow! I loved reading every single comment on this thread! Congratulations to all who have reached their goal and beyond. Before joining LHC, I had no idea people could go years without a cut or even a slight trim. I am so looking forward to growing and learning all I can from all of you gorgeous ladies! I am praying to catch the “not long enough” syndrome too!!!

Yes the trim every 4-6 weeks that stylists put forward is so "passé" LOL! To maintain a style, sure, but to get some growth in there, if you let them trim, that's not gonna happen. I see so many people still go to hairdressers and then wonder why their hair isn't growing, resorting to miracle "aids" while all they really need to do is ditch the trimming so often.

Sarahlabyrinth
October 7th, 2018, 04:58 AM
Yes the trim every 4-6 weeks that stylists put forward is so "passé" LOL! To maintain a style, sure, but to get some growth in there, if you let them trim, that's not gonna happen. I see so many people still go to hairdressers and then wonder why their hair isn't growing, resorting to miracle "aids" while all they really need to do is ditch the trimming so often.

So true! :)

leayellena
October 8th, 2018, 01:22 AM
I (sort of) calculated my terminal length to somewhere at mid- to low-calf. but if I am that short probably I'd reach floor length as my man said. but stopping at mid-calf was my man's idea for me because I don't really have to drag and damage my hair on the floor (when I let it down to air dry for example)
soooo yesterday my man was boringly scrolling for some youtube videos until one of them was about hair and esotherics. like hair is extensions of our nervous system.. u know. ok in the video was shown also floor length hair. my man was like: "u know what? just let your hair grow and let's see how long it grows. calf or floor? let's see... ;)"
my man has now the lhc-itis and the not-long-enough-syndrome.
oh btw good news! his hair is almost 3.2 inches to apl! :D

Milady_DeWinter
October 8th, 2018, 01:50 AM
I'm past hip and still see my hair as quite short... Actually, a couple of friends started learning buns after me and got frustrated because it didn't worked (for them, it was the poor stick fault!). I keep telling them that's because they are past APL up to BSL, so still not long enough for most buns. "But my hair is VERY long!" claimed the BSL gal. And I was just like... are you jk or what :p :lol:

Joules
October 8th, 2018, 02:08 AM
I (sort of) calculated my terminal length to somewhere at mid- to low-calf...

I tried to calculate my terminal length in February of this year. According to my calculations I should have reached terminal last month :bluebiggr but somehow it's still growing and even showing signs of being able to reach at least tailbone. Maybe I just have awfully uneven growth, who knows.

The idea of hair being the extension of our nervous system is interesting...at least it explains why mine's so awful :bluebiggr

paulownia
October 8th, 2018, 02:20 AM
This article is pretty interesting:D
https://blog.thelonghairs.us/long-hair-native-american-culture/

Astrid Carlisle
October 8th, 2018, 02:57 AM
I had a show a few days ago, and I saw girls I knew, who a few years/ even a year ago I'd look at and admire their hair length, thinking it was so long, way longer than mine. My hair is now the longest, yet it's not long at all for me! (growing waist to hip)

Vacurlylady
October 8th, 2018, 06:48 AM

My hairdresser was so cool. She would tell people, “if you want to grow your hair long, let it grow! That’s the only way to get any length”. I’m blessed because when I decided to grow mine out last October she actually came to a point that she wasn’t cutting hair out of her home any more after 30 years! So I’m not even tempted to go any place else. It’s not an option! My plan is to learn how to trim mine myself and stay in this community! Your hair is gorgeous, btw! 😍

spirals
November 8th, 2018, 07:09 PM
This is everything. :laugh:

floralgem
November 8th, 2018, 07:14 PM
I recently got a trim from waist and now my hair is about an inch away from BSL. It feels super short now. Ten bucks I'll get to TB or so and still feel like I have a pixie cut.

WyntreBlossom
November 8th, 2018, 08:32 PM
I feel like my hair isn't long enough to count haha. But when I had chin length hair I said "Maybe I will just grow it to my length from college (about APL/BSL). Now my family will say "Wow your hair has gotten long" and I just think to myself "Um...my hair is so short right now?". Then I realize that i'm at BSL/In the MBL abyss and remember that to some people, including myself at one point in time, thought that this was "long". Now I am aiming for TBL, but I am starting to wonder if I will stop growing then....

Groovy Granny
November 8th, 2018, 09:50 PM
I never thought I'd get it, but it did creep over me this Summer :hmm:

Now I am at TBL and actually would go longer if I could but my poor old bones can't manage any more hair then I have now :(

Who knows where it would have stopped...maybe it would have been 'terminal' until *I* was terminal :lol:

bokeh
November 16th, 2018, 07:16 PM
I started growing my hair with the idea that I wanted it to be just a bit longer so that I could see if it was curly but then I decided that I wanted to be able to pull it into a ponytail so that I could control it. Then I started getting interested in updos so I thought maybe collarbone length would do the trick. I'm at collarbone length now but I'm getting interested in all the great buns that I'm seeing people on LHC wear so I thought bra strap length might accomplish that but then my mother just told me that my great grandmother, who the family admired very much, had waist length hair which she wore in a braided bun and somehow that got me thinking that I'd like to go to waist length like her. So there it is. My goal is waist length if I can achieve it!

maborosi
November 16th, 2018, 08:45 PM
I had the opposite of this recently, haha.

Too long. I cut it back a bit to make my life easier.

Milkchocolate
November 16th, 2018, 09:38 PM
When I first began my hair journey I thought waist length would be long. Then I thought not long enough, and went for tailbone. Now my heart is set on knees being the ultimate goal and I’m seriously wondering if when I get there I still won’t be impressed. It’s such a funny thing! I can’t imagine it getting any further. When it gets there I’m just looking forward to heavy trimming (after a decade) and maintaining. Ive loved having a length goal all these years, and seriously wonder what will happen next after I get there LOL

Sarahlabyrinth
November 17th, 2018, 02:55 AM
When I first began my hair journey I thought waist length would be long. Then I thought not long enough, and went for tailbone. Now my heart is set on knees being the ultimate goal and I’m seriously wondering if when I get there I still won’t be impressed. It’s such a funny thing! I can’t imagine it getting any further. When it gets there I’m just looking forward to heavy trimming (after a decade) and maintaining. Ive loved having a length goal all these years, and seriously wonder what will happen next after I get there LOL

When I reached knee I thought "Well, it doesn't FEEL that long", and decided to keep growing :p

MusicalSpoons
November 17th, 2018, 05:52 AM

When I reached knee I thought "Well, it doesn't FEEL that long", and decided to keep growing :p

My hair is alllllmost at knee (knee when wet, in the knee zone dry) and it really, really doesn't feel very long at all. I think I thought when it got there it would suddenly somehow feel 2x longer or something. Maybe with the extra half inch or inch it will ... but somehow I doubt it!

JuniperTree
November 17th, 2018, 06:46 AM
Oh yeah I have the not-long-enough bug! I'm only at bsl at the moment, aiming for waist, but I know full well that I'll end up aiming for knee or classic or something if I'm not careful. I have another 4 and a half years of university where I'm not planning on trimming my hair, so I guess we'll wait and see! I was able to do a lazy wrap bun for the first time last week and I love having more options as it grows.

Milkchocolate
November 17th, 2018, 08:36 AM

My hair is alllllmost at knee (knee when wet, in the knee zone dry) and it really, really doesn't feel very long at all. I think I thought when it got there it would suddenly somehow feel 2x longer or something. Maybe with the extra half inch or inch it will ... but somehow I doubt it!

Oh gosh you guys got me thinking that I’m totally gonna switch up my mind lol. Yes! Mines also touching knee when wet!
People tell me all the time how long it is in disbeleif.. and I’m always wondering what they’re taking about because in my eyes it’s not very long! haha

Sarahlabyrinth
November 17th, 2018, 08:59 AM
Oh gosh you guys got me thinking that I’m totally gonna switch up my mind lol. Yes! Mines also touching knee when wet!
People tell me all the time how long it is in disbeleif.. and I’m always wondering what they’re taking about because in my eyes it’s not very long! haha

Yes, it's funny, isn't it! :p

Larke
November 17th, 2018, 01:16 PM
Where I live, there's a fair amount of ladies with waist-length hair, so if I ever reach that point, I think I'll just treat that length like it's normal, and not like it's actually LONG. And in the meantime, everything is just not long enough. :roll:

GrowlingCupcake
November 17th, 2018, 03:24 PM
I definitely have this issue. I've started to describe my hair as "what most people would consider long". I don't see it as long until it is classic. Past fingertip/mid-thigh is "very long".

I don't think it'll ever be long enough for me xD

Shorty89
November 17th, 2018, 09:33 PM
My "it's not long enough" syndrome is stirred up by a girl at church who has hair that's now halfway down her bum! I was planning on staying at TB for a while (and likely still will) but it makes me want classic again. :eyeroll:

Joules
November 18th, 2018, 12:30 AM
My mom complimented my length yesterday (it's almost BCL). At first I thought she was joking. I honestly still see my hair as if it was at bra strap, very average and not impressive at all.

Cymiri
November 18th, 2018, 12:07 PM
I am suffering this badly at the moment. Before my auto-immune issue kicked in, I had mid thigh hair. Now it's 'only' hip length and a lot thinner overall. People still comment on the length, and the looks, because it is pretty long and it does look good. I have to remember to reign in tounge and be graceful, and not go 'but it's soooooo shooooort noooooooow' like a whiny child. Folks who see pretty long hair and offer a comment don't need to hear my frustration with medical issues and my desire for moooooooore.

sophia_
November 18th, 2018, 12:40 PM
I guess where I live, aside from the wealthy tourists who come here in the summer/Christmas time, hip length is average and everyone seems to have hair that's thicker than mine, lol. I guess with the lack of trendy salons, people don't tend to mess with their hair too much- I guess my hair must be entering the *impressive* category because I do get compliments/comments on the length of my braid every once in a while- it's still not long to me until it's the longest in town, lol.

Capybara
November 18th, 2018, 12:57 PM
It depends on the day. I’m trying to practice gratefulness and mindfulness more recently, but it’s a struggle!

almostghost
November 19th, 2018, 02:31 PM
It's funny how my goal length was (apparently) BSL when I first joined here, but since then I've found TBL or classic more appealing, and lately I even find myself sometimes thinking "hmmmm, just out of curiosity maybe I'll just wait and find out where terminal is for me..."

That would probably be quite a wait though, because it's only APL at the moment :p