PDA

View Full Version : Received my SugarBearHair today!

locddreamz
February 3rd, 2016, 11:55 AM
I saw a post last week in this forum about these gummy bear vitamins, so I ordered it.
I just got them in the mail today and I'm excited. They taste really good and have lots of good vitamins for hair growth. I'll keep you all updated on my progress. I think for once I'll actually be consistent with the whole hair vitamin thing lol

For anyone interested in this, the company's website is https://www.sugarbearhair.com/
And here's a pic of my bottle:

https://40.media.tumblr.com/660c38c88f58daca1bd93661814886cd/tumblr_o1zit9WslO1qlah7fo1_500.jpg

Swan Maiden
February 3rd, 2016, 11:57 AM
They should have used a better hair model. I'll see myself out. :guns::couch:

Sarahlabyrinth
February 3rd, 2016, 12:01 PM

Maybe she was the one needing the pills? :p

MandyBeth
February 3rd, 2016, 01:07 PM
A good multi vitamin with a proper diet will do the same or better. Actually, a good multi vitamin will do the same as this product. Toss in biotin if you must,but really, if you need 5,000 mg daily, you need a doctor to find out why you are running low. Overdosing on anything without a doctor being involved is highly questionable at best. B5 doesn't help with breakouts, you break out from the overdose.

HeartofHaleth
February 3rd, 2016, 01:20 PM

I'm afraid I must concur... Though maybe her hair WOULD be wonderfully healthy from those vitamins if she wasn't bleaching and dyeing the living day lights out of it!

Nadine <3
February 3rd, 2016, 01:21 PM
Honestly I find taking vitamins specifically for your hair kinda silly and possibly dangerous if you're not careful. I prefer to eat a balanced diet and wait. The only thing I take is an iron tablet because I'm almost always low without it.

locddreamz
February 3rd, 2016, 01:23 PM
A good multi vitamin with a proper diet will do the same or better. Actually, a good multi vitamin will do the same as this product. Toss in biotin if you must,but really, if you need 5,000 mg daily, you need a doctor to find out why you are running low. Overdosing on anything without a doctor being involved is highly questionable at best. B5 doesn't help with breakouts, you break out from the overdose.

I gag on regular pills which is why I purchased this product.

And I'm not understanding your comment. You cannot overdose on vitamins. 5,000 mcg (not mg) of Biotin is not what the body is necessarily deficient of. Taking that amount of Biotin is supposed to help make sure your scalp is getting its fill of nutrients. Then, what your body doesn't use is excreted through the urine because these vitamins are water-soluble.

I've looked up the bit about B5. From that I remember from my research, Vitamin B5 and Biotin are absorbed using the same receptors. So when people take Biotin but don't also take B5 with it, some people actually experience breakouts. This would explain why my face broke out when I attempted to take Biotin by itself.

neko_kawaii
February 3rd, 2016, 01:32 PM
I'm kind of surprised the Biotin Blog post (http://igorsbelltower.blogspot.com/p/infamous-biotin-rant.html) hasn't been linked here yet.

locddreamz
February 3rd, 2016, 01:36 PM
Honestly I find taking vitamins specifically for your hair kinda silly and possibly dangerous if you're not careful. I prefer to eat a balanced diet and wait. The only thing I take is an iron tablet because I'm almost always low without it.

The way I see it, vitamins don't just benefit the hair but my whole body as well. I eat a very healthy diet (I track everything with MyFitnessPal and everything) and I still don't get a lot of the vitamins I need. Combine that with the fact that I can't swallow pills and yeeeaaaah lol

KittyBird
February 3rd, 2016, 02:43 PM

And I'm not understanding your comment. You cannot overdose on vitamins. 5,000 mcg (not mg) of Biotin is not what the body is necessarily deficient of. Taking that amount of Biotin is supposed to help make sure your scalp is getting its fill of nutrients. Then, what your body doesn't use is excreted through the urine because these vitamins are water-soluble.

I've looked up the bit about B5. From that I remember from my research, Vitamin B5 and Biotin are absorbed using the same receptors. So when people take Biotin but don't also take B5 with it, some people actually experience breakouts. This would explain why my face broke out when I attempted to take Biotin by itself.
Yes, you can absolutely overdose on vitamins (http://www.webmd.com/diet/guide/effects-of-taking-too-many-vitamins), even if they're water soluble. I'm pretty shocked by that comment. Excreting an excessive amount of vitamins can put a huge strain on your kidneys, and in the worst case scenario can cause kidney damage and failure. The biotin will only help hair growth if you are actually deficient of it, which is very rare. Eating a balanced diet is usually more than enough to get the nutrients you need, and you should not supplement without seeing your doctor first.

Chromis
February 3rd, 2016, 02:59 PM
There are lots of good gummy or otherwise chewable multis. I too cannot swallow pills. These seem super-expensive for what they are!

I am also very annoyed by their giant text proclaiming that they are flavoured with real berries when the first two ingredients are just sugar and the supposed berries are listed as "natural flavourings" which are anything but.

lapushka
February 3rd, 2016, 03:08 PM
Yes, you can absolutely overdose on vitamins (http://www.webmd.com/diet/guide/effects-of-taking-too-many-vitamins), even if they're water soluble. I'm pretty shocked by that comment. Excreting an excessive amount of vitamins can put a huge strain on your kidneys, and in the worst case scenario can cause kidney damage and failure. The biotin will only help hair growth if you are actually deficient of it, which is very rare. Eating a balanced diet is usually more than enough to get the nutrients you need, and you should not supplement without seeing your doctor first.

Exactly. I fully agree! :agree: OP, I can also see that with less than 25 posts you are fairly new on this forum. So it might benefit you to hang out here a while first, and read a little more. Just sayin'. :shrug: There was already a thread on these vitamins and most of us didn't see the benefit. ;)

locddreamz
February 3rd, 2016, 03:18 PM

I checked the link and there's nothing there that says you can overdose on water-soluble vitamins. By overdose, I mean take too much and die. You can megadose and the effects are are mild at worst. The only dangerous thing mentioned was taking too much Vitamin D, but it is not a water soluble vitamin. Yes you can take too much oil/fat soluble vitamins, but I was talking about Biotin, which is water-soluble.

I've already stated that I eat a healthy diet, but I do not get enough vitamins from my food. There are a lot of things I can't consume because of my dietary preferences, so I have to get the nutrients from elsewhere.

Listen, I understand everyone's concern and skepticism, but gummy bear multi-vitamins certainly will not kill me or give me health issues. The main ingredient of the vitamin is Biotin, and taking 5000 mcg of it will not harm me.
I am not on antibiotics or any other medication that will make the consumption of Biotin harmful to me. In fact, Biotin taken in amounts double of what's in these gummies are still well-tolerated by the human body.

I've taken hair, skin, and nails multivitamins of a similar make up to this with no problem other than how hard it was for me to swallow the pill.
I understand a lot of people are reading this as "take this vitamin to get your hair super long" but they're vitamins that I also need in my everyday life. I see the hair and nails benefit as a plus.

lapushka
February 3rd, 2016, 03:22 PM
In fact, Biotin taken in amounts double of what's in these gummies are still well-tolerated by the human body.

Can I ask for sources to that information / "fact"? :)

locddreamz
February 3rd, 2016, 03:27 PM
Can I ask for sources to that information / "fact"? :)

My cousins take a hair, skin, and nails multivitamin that has double the amount of biotin. Have been taking it for years and they don't have any health issues.

But if you insist on some sort of link, http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-and-supplements/lifestyle-guide-11/supplement-guide-biotin?page=2

locddreamz
February 3rd, 2016, 03:33 PM
I understand that I just joined but I'm not a stranger to health and hair.
I joined this forum because I thought it would be a positive community where we can freely share ideas and experiences. I'll admit that I'm a little disappointed that my very first thread on here is being met with resistance. I was expecting more of a happier vibe like on the rest of the site.
I didn't come here to start any arguments. I just kinda posted like "hey I got this vegetarian multivitamin that tastes really good and also benefits the hair" and everyone started freaking out on me :confused:

lapushka
February 3rd, 2016, 03:34 PM
I'm kind of surprised the Biotin Blog post (http://igorsbelltower.blogspot.com/p/infamous-biotin-rant.html) hasn't been linked here yet.

My cousins take a hair, skin, and nails multivitamin that has double the amount of biotin. Have been taking it for years and they don't have any health issues.

But if you insist on some sort of link, http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-and-supplements/lifestyle-guide-11/supplement-guide-biotin?page=2

Have you read the link that neko_kawaii posted yet? Might change your take on the whole situation.

Arctic
February 3rd, 2016, 04:02 PM
I take supplements too :) It's just one of those things people tend to have very strong opinions, and both sides can be vocal and stubborn. Also as a forum, there are trends that come and go; lately the general consensus has been tipping towards "we don't need vitamins/supplements". Some other times they have been very popular. It's really rather interesting to observe.

I'm glad you found a product you like!

Aubren
February 3rd, 2016, 04:09 PM
I have looked into it. Honestly I'd try it if it was cheaper but I just take a vegan multivitamin I found over the counter instead Bc it's affordable. I'm interested to hear your results! I'm sorry all these replies are kind of argumentative. I don't post much here because it seems like the "LHC" way or the highway. So I just pick up bits and pieces of tips as I go and carry on. Not every one is the same, and not everything is the end of the world or black and white. Good luck!

HeartofHaleth
February 3rd, 2016, 05:10 PM
I'm sorry you aren't feeling very welcome! I think maybe people just want to make sure you're well-informed on what you're putting into your body! Hopefully you'll soon feel more comfortable here!:cheese:

meteor
February 3rd, 2016, 05:33 PM
I don't know enough about biotin, so I'm of no help here, sorry :oops:, but I've always had this question about it: why do so many supplement bottles contain 5,000 or even 10,000 mcg of biotin per dose, it seems pretty standard. :hmm: Does anybody know? It's just so much above the daily recommended allowance (which is around 30 mcg for adults (http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-313-biotin.aspx?activeIngredientId=313&activeIngredientName=biotin&source=1&tabno=2)) and I don't normally see such huge doses for other vitamins being sold freely (without doctor's prescription - for safety reasons), so I don't know how Vit. H is different. Is it just because it's considered to be one of the well-tolerated supplements, on average? Or is it something else entirely?

This product looks good for many vitamins that it contains, but since it contains a whopping 5,000 mcg of biotin per dose (https://www.sugarbearhair.com/pages/effective-ingredients), personally, I'd check it with my doctor before taking it, just to be completely safe. :flower: Also, you can split one dose (which is 2 gummies) in two and maybe split it further, but still, that's quite a bit of biotin. :)

Whatever you decide to do, I hope you'll keep us posted about how everything goes, locddreamz! :D Best of luck and happy growing! :cheer:

neko_kawaii
February 3rd, 2016, 05:43 PM
Meteor, I suspect quite a lot of it has to do with marketing and how little regulated the supplement industry is. Someone pinpointed biotin as the miracle hair and nails vitamin, so obviously more is better and miracles sell.

Locddreamz, people are concerned because they have heard of bad results with large doses of biotin and they would feel very bad if you had a bad reaction and they had not shared their knowledge. I would say it is less of a voice against vitamins (I take a multi and additional D per doc's recommendations) and more a voice against too much because too much may be harmful.

meteor
February 3rd, 2016, 05:55 PM
^ Thank you, neko_kawaii! :flowers: I keep forgetting that supplement industry is not necessarily that regulated in many markets around the world... Yes, I'd definitely check with a doctor (naming specific doses), to be on the safe side! :flower:

MandyBeth
February 4th, 2016, 11:26 AM

My tablet likes its auto correct a bit much.

If you break out - you are over dosing on biotin to the point you are inducing a B5 deficiency. The answer is NOT add B5, it's cut back the biotin. Treat the actual problem, vs the symptoms.

I'm deficient in pretty much all the B vitamins, thanks to a defective immune system. I've had an actual biotin deficiency. I take 2.5 mg daily, under close doctor supervision.

truepeacenik
February 4th, 2016, 11:37 AM
1667 percent of an RDA is too much.
From elements in water to strain on kidneys.
What makes this a "hair" vitamin? The biotin level?

lapushka
February 4th, 2016, 12:22 PM
Locddreamz, people are concerned because they have heard of bad results with large doses of biotin and they would feel very bad if you had a bad reaction and they had not shared their knowledge. I would say it is less of a voice against vitamins (I take a multi and additional D per doc's recommendations) and more a voice against too much because too much may be harmful.

It is exactly that, well from my POV anyway. I am not against vitamins, not by any means, and I take a multi daily, as I take long-term anti-seizure meds and they drain some vitamins out of the body.

But dosages that high? Of course there needs to be caution, and there are a lot cheaper alternatives out there, also in gummy form.

NagChampa
February 4th, 2016, 01:15 PM
I saw a post last week in this forum about these gummy bear vitamins, so I ordered it.
I just got them in the mail today and I'm excited. They taste really good and have lots of good vitamins for hair growth. I'll keep you all updated on my progress. I think for once I'll actually be consistent with the whole hair vitamin thing lol

For anyone interested in this, the company's website is https://www.sugarbearhair.com/

https://40.media.tumblr.com/660c38c88f58daca1bd93661814886cd/tumblr_o1zit9WslO1qlah7fo1_500.jpg

I'm glad that my thread interested someone on this forum! I myself am not aware of the issue of overdosing on vitamins but I can see it as a relevant and valid issue. I do however believe that if you take these vitamins and do not experience anything unusual then I would not worry, I would love to see your progress! I am still considering purchasing these however I don't have the money at the moment! (these gummies are quite costly) I would however be very intrigued as to how the quality of your hair progresses along with your length. Can't wait!:heartbeat

luxurioushair
February 4th, 2016, 05:50 PM
Their presentation of vitamins as some cute, fun toy or snack strikes me as highly disturbing and unprofessional.

morrigan*
February 5th, 2016, 01:13 AM
I don't know enough about biotin, so I'm of no help here, sorry :oops:, but I've always had this question about it: why do so many supplement bottles contain 5,000 or even 10,000 mcg of biotin per dose, it seems pretty standard. :hmm: Does anybody know? It's just so much above the daily recommended allowance (which is around 30 mcg for adults (http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-313-biotin.aspx?activeIngredientId=313&activeIngredientName=biotin&source=1&tabno=2)) and I don't normally see such huge doses for other vitamins being sold freely (without doctor's prescription - for safety reasons), so I don't know how Vit. H is different. Is it just because it's considered to be one of the well-tolerated supplements, on average? Or is it something else entirely?

This product looks good for many vitamins that it contains, but since it contains a whopping 5,000 mcg of biotin per dose (https://www.sugarbearhair.com/pages/effective-ingredients), personally, I'd check it with my doctor before taking it, just to be completely safe. :flower: Also, you can split one dose (which is 2 gummies) in two and maybe split it further, but still, that's quite a bit of biotin. :)

Whatever you decide to do, I hope you'll keep us posted about how everything goes, locddreamz! :D Best of luck and happy growing! :cheer:

I'm from Europe and even on hair supplements i didn't notice such high doses, i think the highest i saw was 300mgc.

meteor
February 5th, 2016, 10:18 AM
I'm from Europe and even on hair supplements i didn't notice such high doses, i think the highest i saw was 300mgc.

That's interesting. :) It might have something to do with regulations, maybe? In North America, I haven't seen such small doses (granted, I wasn't specifically searching for biotin), but there are quite a few popular brands (NOW Foods, Spring Valley, Natrol, Source Naturals...) that sell 10,000 mcg over the counter! I saw many bottles like that even in small pharmacies and many grocery stores - no prescription needed! And if you shop online, you can get even more variety, of course - it's a bit of a Wild West, to be honest.
All the more reason to do all the necessary research and double-check with your doctor before taking supplements. :)

lapushka
February 5th, 2016, 10:45 AM
I think there might be EU restrictions on the amounts. Not quite sure, though. Tried to look for more info, but couldn't find amounts.

morrigan*
February 5th, 2016, 11:48 AM
I think there can be found higher doses but i doubt is much more than 500 or 600 mcg. And Lapuska you are probably right, i think there are some regulations on that matter.

parkmikii
February 5th, 2016, 12:02 PM

Exactly the same I saw here too and I'm from Europe as well. Also when I got a bottle of 5000 mgc of biotin it said that it's 10.000% the regular dose not just almost 2000% as the US one says..

meteor
February 5th, 2016, 12:54 PM
I've looked at what regulators say on dietary supplements, and it appears that in the EU the language is quite a bit stronger, and the EU Food Supplements Directive requires that supplements be demonstrated to be safe, both in dosages and in purity. Only supplements that have been proven to be safe may be sold in the bloc without prescription.
Check out the details here: http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=CELEX:32002L0046:EN:HTML
Also,
Notwithstanding paragraph 6, Member States may, in compliance with the rules of the Treaty, continue to apply existing national restrictions or bans on trade in food supplements containing vitamins and minerals not included in the list in Annex I or in the forms not listed in Annex II.
So local, member state rules might be even tighter, in some situations.

Compare that to the FDA's position on supplements (for USA):
http://www.fda.gov/AboutFDA/Transparency/Basics/ucm194344.htm

Are dietary supplements approved by the FDA?

No. Dietary supplement manufacturers and distributors are not required to obtain approval from FDA before marketing dietary supplements. Before a firm markets a dietary supplement, the firm is responsible for ensuring that the products it manufactures or distributes are safe, any claims made about the products are not false or misleading, the products comply with the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act and FDA regulations in all other respects.

I'm in no way a specialist in compliance issues for supplements at all, so please do correct me if I'm wrong on any of that. :flower:

Also, specifically for upper limit on biotin, when I search for this, I really can't find anything for biotin (unlike many, many other nutrients - see a great list here: https://www.consumerlab.com/RDAs/). Maybe that's why it's so easy to buy supplements with biotin megadoses. simply because no upper limit was set? :hmm:
EU Scientific Committee on Food and Scientific Panel on Dietetic Products, Nutrition and Allergies wrote this:
Tolerable Upper Intake Levels for Vitamins and Minerals: http://www.efsa.europa.eu/sites/default/files/efsa_rep/blobserver_assets/ndatolerableuil.pdf (from p. 104):

4. DOSE RESPONSE ASSESSMENT AND DERIVATION OF A TOLERABLE UPPER INTAKE LEVEL (UL)
Due to the lack of systematic oral intake dose-response studies of biotin a quantitative risk assessment can not be carried out and it is not possible to derive a numerical UL for biotin.
5. CHARACTERISATION OF RISK
The risk of human toxicity from the usual dietary intake of biotin and from biotin supplements, such as are described in Table 1, appears to be low according to available data. There are insufficient data to draw any conclusions concerning the safety of very high-level supplements.
Although no numerical UL can be established, existing evidence that is available from observational studies indicates that current levels of intake of biotin from all sources do not represent a health risk for the general population.

missrandie
February 5th, 2016, 01:10 PM
Meteor, I think that is it. Because there is no TUL(tolerable upper limit) for biotin, or some other supplements for that matter, they can be sold in mega doses.

morrigan*
February 5th, 2016, 01:22 PM
Meteor i think you are right, too bad there is no upper limit since it still put a strain on liver and kidneys in such high doses.

lapushka
February 5th, 2016, 01:43 PM
I've looked at what regulators say on dietary supplements, and it appears that in the EU the language is quite a bit stronger, and the EU Food Supplements Directive requires that supplements be demonstrated to be safe, both in dosages and in purity. Only supplements that have been proven to be safe may be sold in the bloc without prescription.
Check out the details here: http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=CELEX:32002L0046:EN:HTML
Also,
So local, member state rules might be even tighter, in some situations.

I found some pages as well on that exact site, but just dropped it because it says nothing on dosages and such. I think it's pretty darn complicated. I found this:
http://www.efsa.europa.eu/en/efsajournal/pub/1728

meteor
February 5th, 2016, 01:56 PM
^ :agree: Yep, I read that one too and they basically focus on biotin needs and its role for different functions, but they don't give any info on Upper Intake Levels.

What disturbs me is that the absence of stated upper limit for biotin (in this rule: http://www.efsa.europa.eu/sites/default/files/efsa_rep/blobserver_assets/ndatolerableuil.pdf, p. 104) is stated as "due to the lack of systematic oral intake dose-response studies" with mega-doses of biotin, rather than because of any existing studies that could show that mega-dosing could be safe.

lapushka
February 5th, 2016, 02:03 PM
Basically those taking megadoses of the stuff are guineapigs, that's the essence of it. And I recall at least 2 posters here say they suffered kidney damage from dosages that high, which is none too reassuring and should tell you enough.

Again, there is no miracle to hair growth. You just need to be patient... but nobody wants to hear *that*!

neko_kawaii
February 5th, 2016, 06:41 PM
My multi vitamin chewable from Trader Joes has 300mcg biotin.

lapushka
February 6th, 2016, 05:29 AM
My multi vitamin chewable from Trader Joes has 300mcg biotin.

Hey, I'll check mine. Mine (multi) says it has 100% and it is... 50 µg.

Rebeccalaurenxx
June 24th, 2018, 06:49 PM
I remember when I took biotin and it made me break out so badly I had to resort to topicals again.
It ain’t the lack of B5 that does it either.. js

These gummies are gimmicky. That’s all.
The Kardashian’s love them, Instagram influencers love them, youtubers love them.
But they’re getting paid to say positive things. And so are most of the other reviewers.
You’d get the same results from a cheaper gummy from the pharmacy.
Go to a health food store, find some more organic ones.
I’m sure they’ll contain less sugar then these do as well.

Idk, I’m just more in tune with the idea of not using sh*t being sold to me by people paid to sell it to you.
It just doesn’t feel genuine, when a product is being shoved in your face on Facebook and IG every day.
Rather just take some cheaper, no brand name, alternative instead of this stuff.
You’ll get the same exact results, I promise you.

Lizabeth94
June 24th, 2018, 07:30 PM
Don't listen to all the negativity. :rolleyes: Nothing wrong with taking vitamins for hair growth, and you would have to work very hard to overdose on biotin. I find I'm able to almost double my hair growth by taking biotin and eating a high protein diet as well. It makes my hair strands thicker and stronger and less prone to damage, which is crucial since I am a lifeguard and swim instructor, you can imagine the constant damage my hair goes through from chlorine and constant washing and drying, it needs all the help it can get. I would buy these, except I go for generic gummies to save money. In any case, I will probably continue to take vitamins as long as I continue swimming on a regular basis. All the other instructors have relatively short damaged hair, maybe BSL at most, and if taking supplements helps me achieve my goals while working a non hair friendly job, then so be it :).
I think their hair models were all dyed on purpose to suggest that taking vitamins might help strengthen your hair to better protect it from damage from chemical processing, so while it may not be to the taste of most LCHers, there isn't anything wrong with it. In fact there are some LCHers who do dye their hair and probably would take notice! Of course the people hired to take the pictures may not be taking the vitamins, they were just hired for advertising.

Lizabeth94
June 24th, 2018, 07:46 PM
I would like to also add that I've been taking biotin supplements, 5000-10,000mcg for many years, on and off since my early teens when I originally started taking it for my nails which were thin and brittle at the time. I was pleasantly surprised to see that my hair growth doubled, and kept taking it. I've never had any issues, whether it be kidney issues or acne break outs, ect. I'm not saying that is impossible for someone to have a reaction to taking too much, everyone is different, just that I've never had an issue, only good results. The only negative thing I have to say about Biotin is that it also makes the hair grow quickly on my legs, armpits, nether regions, which is inconvenient and I have to shave twice as often because of it, but having strong nails and fast growing strong hair is worth it.

lakhesis
June 24th, 2018, 10:29 PM
I am from Europe and when I bought a biotin supplement some time ago I got 10,000 mcg. Because of all of that 'you can't overdose on biotin' I didn't even think to link the biotin to the horrible break outs I was getting at that time. It even took months after I stopped taking it to completely get rid of them. (And I eat a very healthy diet, drink a lot of water and I am definitely not deficient in any vitamins).
Now I take regular multivitamin that has also 30 mcg of biotin and I think that's more than enough.

Arciela
June 25th, 2018, 09:53 AM
I tried to take biotin before..the 10,000 mcg amount. Got cystic acne so bad I had to go to the doctor, get injections and all kinds of stuff. Never touching it again! I've found that simply changing my diet, like eating a lot of fruits and vegetables, kale shakes etc has increased my growth rate quite significantly. I wouldn't bother with multivitamins anymore, especially overpriced ones, but hey if it works for people then go for it :flower:

*Wednesday*
June 25th, 2018, 02:09 PM
Anything over the recommended daily allowance is a complete waste of money. Unless you have major health issues that deplete the body of vitamin and minerals and you need over the RDA to replenish as recommended by a doctor. Your body is not going to redirect (case in pint 10,000 mgs. Biotin) to the hair to cause hair to grow faster than your *optimal* growth.

I know there are people touting, “Oh, my hair grows so fast.” No pictures to support this claim. The facial breakouts are from too much biotin in the body (which is basically an overdose). It causes hormonal imbalance. Someone posted they don’t have kidney’s issues. Maybe not yet….When you are on dialysis when you’re in your 60’s you may look back to this post.

Biotin needs to be taken with BALANCED B-Complex vitamins. It works with other B Vitamins. You should not be buying a jar and just popping them for hair growth. You can get hormonal imbalances from too much biotin which the acne is a symptom.
It can be a problem to regulate.

Most people are not biotin deficient so much, their hair isn't growing. Good lord...5,000, 10,0000 mgs of biotin. Take a Flintstone’s or a multivitamin.

teemee
June 25th, 2018, 02:51 PM
Anything over the recommended daily allowance is a complete waste of money. Unless you have major health issues that deplete the body of vitamin and minerals and you need over the RDA to replenish as recommended by a doctor. Your body is not going to redirect (case in pint 10,000 mgs. Biotin) to the hair to cause hair to grow faster than your *optimal* growth.

I know there are people touting, “Oh, my hair grows so fast.” No pictures to support this claim. The facial breakouts are from too much biotin in the body (which is basically an overdose). It causes hormonal imbalance. Someone posted they don’t have kidney’s issues. Maybe not yet….When you are on dialysis when you’re in your 60’s you may look back to this post.

Biotin needs to be taken with BALANCED B-Complex vitamins. It works with other B Vitamins. You should not be buying a jar and just popping them for hair growth. You can get hormonal imbalances from too much biotin which the acne is a symptom.

Most people are not biotin deficient so much, their hair isn't growing. Good lord...5,000, 10,0000 mgs of biotin. Take a Flintstone’s or a multivitamin.

i agree with this. taking a regular vitamin supplement should be enough to supplement any nutrient deficiency. anything above the daily recommended dose just gets flushed out in your pee.

Lizabeth94
June 25th, 2018, 06:11 PM
Those asking for pictures can check the seasonal growth forum for mine, or look in my album to see me going from a shaved pixie to braided pig tails in 6 months! The pictures don't even show the 2 inches I cut off to get rid of my mullet, so my hair had actually grown 2 inches longer than the pictures show as well! I get about 1/2 an inch of growth per month normally, and 1 inch a month when combining biotin with a high protein diet. Yes I have measured with a ruler. As I said, it also makes the hair grow fast and thick all over my body, which isn't desirable but shows that biotin really works. My hubby also takes it for his thinning hair, and it helps quite a bit, his bald spot is less noticeable and his hairline has thickened out, he said it works better than anything else he has ever tried as has to get haircuts more often than he used to.

Rebeccalaurenxx
June 25th, 2018, 06:47 PM

Or eat a banana every day. Bananas are a good source of biotin lol

*Wednesday*
June 25th, 2018, 08:48 PM
Or eat a banana every day. Bananas are a good source of biotin lol

Exactly. 😀 Nuts too.

Synester
June 25th, 2018, 09:02 PM
I remember reading they have trace amounts of lead in them, do your research! im not certain but it surely steered me away from ever buying them

AutobotsAttack
June 26th, 2018, 02:02 PM

To an extent OP, you can take what any of us say with a grain of salt.

If it’s working for you, and you’re doing proper research, and making sure your health is in good standing, we all can site as many articles, studies, and websites as we want, but you’re your own individual, and know yourself better than we do.

Most of what I’ve seen in this thread is anecdotal stuff. Things like metabolism, genetic predispositions to health related issues, environment, work, stressors, activity level, muscle mass, fat percentages, etc. are things I have yet to see anyone go into detail about, or consider when trying to shy others away from using vitamins, and are important factors when taking vitamins. Some people can take larger doses because their body metabolizes stubstances extremely quick and regularly, and they more than likely have metabolic systems that are primed and they’ve put in work to understand what they can and can’t handle, others may get sick from the same dosage amount due to slow metabolism, allergies, poor immune health, or other metabolic disturbances they do or do not know of. It’s not a one size fits all situation.

I can take biotin, or anything that’s cellulose based, heavy amounts of protein, or flax, fish, and borage oil and see large amounts of growth. I’m also very active. I weight train 6 days out of the week, and have been for about 4-5 years now. I can handle high dosages of vitamins because my body honestly needs it since my metabolism is revved up 24/7. I also work and am a full time student. If you’re someone who expends a lot of total and net energy throughout the day, minerals and vitamins can prove beneficial to hair health.

Hair is comprised mostly of keratin and a few other amino acid chains and minerals. Your body produces keratin, which is usually fueled by the uptake of protein and glucose to some degree and a few other metabolic processes and nutrients are involved. How well and/or quickly your body metabolizes protein and minerals, is a pretty big factor, and I’m often irritated when people can’t put one and two together and realize that everyone’s body is on a different scale of how well their metabolism is or isn’t, and how well their bodies do or do not carry out metabolic functions and energy input and output. Because that’s what it really boils down to when it comes your body. Hair included. Energy production.

So, when all is said and done, once again, it’s up to you.