PDA

View Full Version : Video: how to restore hair from damage (curls)

lapushka
February 3rd, 2016, 08:39 AM
This, I thought, was an amazing video on how to restore curly hair from heat damage:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sEAD5SY-Ww

kidari
February 3rd, 2016, 11:38 PM
Thanks! She actually has some good videos. I've been really enjoying discovering new people with less subscribers

lapushka
February 4th, 2016, 06:13 AM
Thanks! She actually has some good videos. I've been really enjoying discovering new people with less subscribers

Yes me too! Sometimes I look at the far right and something pops up "recommended for you". Some of those links are actually *great*. That's how I discovered this video. The bigger "guru's" sometimes get so lazy with making videos anymore, and if they do, I get so turned off by watching - and I don't even know why. It's like they no longer appreciate what they do.

missrandie
February 4th, 2016, 08:44 AM
I just have to say, everything she is doing has definitely worked for her! Goodness those are some gorgeous curls!

CoveredByLove
February 4th, 2016, 09:29 AM
I definitely can relate to this video! Growing out my damage was a loooong process. My curls were completely wilted. I always joke that my curls are like flowers...if you don't water them, they wilt! And heat wilts them terribly. Lots of moisture and no heat will bring curls to life. I had to grow the damage out, because mine would not perk up no matter how much protein treatments I used. I first literally threw all my curling irons and stuff in the garbage outside. (That was about 3 years ago) I did not even want to give them to someone else. (Why give something like that? So others can ruin their hair too?!) Then I did a lot of regular trimming. Every six months on average I trimmed a good two inches off. Very discouraging. But my curls did come back. :) It took time and patience, and now I'm reaping the reward of having my healthy hair back. The "fun" of heat styling my hair in different ways wasn't worth it in the long run. I look better curly anyways. ;)

I don't recognize any of these brands she mentioned other than Sunsilk and Vatika. Is she in the U.S.?

lapushka
February 4th, 2016, 10:04 AM
I definitely can relate to this video! Growing out my damage was a loooong process. My curls were completely wilted. I always joke that my curls are like flowers...if you don't water them, they wilt! And heat wilts them terribly. Lots of moisture and no heat will bring curls to life. I had to grow the damage out, because mine would not perk up no matter how much protein treatments I used. I first literally threw all my curling irons and stuff in the garbage outside. (That was about 3 years ago) I did not even want to give them to someone else. (Why give something like that? So others can ruin their hair too?!) Then I did a lot of regular trimming. Every six months on average I trimmed a good two inches off. Very discouraging. But my curls did come back. :) It took time and patience, and now I'm reaping the reward of having my healthy hair back. The "fun" of heat styling my hair in different ways wasn't worth it in the long run. I look better curly anyways. ;)

I don't recognize any of these brands she mentioned other than Sunsilk and Vatika. Is she in the U.S.?

No I think she's in Greece. I do recognize brands like Schwarzkopf's Gliss Kur, Elvive (Elsève), Sunsilk & Vatika & I'm in Belgium. Yeah, it's a EU thing. ;)

Amazing the patience you had, but I'm glad you got your curls back! :D

parkmikii
February 4th, 2016, 10:09 AM
Awesome video! The information she provided is great, I always wanted to try the Vatika products :o
Thank you for sharing!

missrandie
February 4th, 2016, 11:12 AM
I think I saw Vatika products last time I was at the India Store.. I'll have to give them another look.

Not that I'm a curly by any means.. But I'm beginning to see little waves all over, and I keep thinking that maybe I can coax them to life somehow without getting frizzled.

SaraJayne
February 4th, 2016, 11:24 AM
This, I thought, was an amazing video on how to restore curly hair from heat damage:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sEAD5SY-Ww

Thank you. This is really relevant to me. I want so many of those products though!!

lapushka
February 4th, 2016, 12:27 PM
Thank you. This is really relevant to me. I want so many of those products though!!

Have you ever tried the curl cream from Boots (own brand)? It is a cult product in the UK, for styling wavy/curly hair. I'm sure the UK has its own little niche of products that would be amazing on wavy/curly hair! You just have to try 'em and figure out what works (I know that's the tough part).

LongCurlyTress
February 4th, 2016, 12:49 PM
Have you ever tried the curl cream from Boots (own brand)? It is a cult product in the UK, for styling wavy/curly hair. I'm sure the UK has its own little niche of products that would be amazing on wavy/curly hair! You just have to try 'em and figure out what works (I know that's the tough part).

lapushka, do you know of an equivalent brand to that Boots curl cream that can be bought in the US or online? Thanks!! There is a youtube video where the girl, thesparkleicious? (gorgeous curls btw!) uses and loves this Boots leave in curl cream. Thanks! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5ISmgQ44Rs

lapushka
February 4th, 2016, 01:51 PM
lapushka, do you know of an equivalent brand to that Boots curl cream that can be bought in the US or online? Thanks!! There is a youtube video where the girl, thesparkleicious? (gorgeous curls btw!) uses and loves this Boots leave in curl cream. Thanks! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5ISmgQ44Rs

Nope, it is a really good product, as stated by more than a few YTers I watch. I've never gotten a hold of it so can't compare it to other things.

SaraJayne
February 4th, 2016, 02:42 PM
Is this the pale pink cream in a clear tub? I tried this about 5 or 6 years ago when I was trying to love my curls (think I only lasted a couple of months, but I have different reasons and goals this time and I'm committed - 5 months with no heat!) I think I quite liked it but my hair was short, in a bob then. It's 'cone free, isn't it? I'll have to give it another go. Thanks for the reminder :)

lapushka
February 4th, 2016, 03:09 PM
Is this the pale pink cream in a clear tub? I tried this about 5 or 6 years ago when I was trying to love my curls (think I only lasted a couple of months, but I have different reasons and goals this time and I'm committed - 5 months with no heat!) I think I quite liked it but my hair was short, in a bob then. It's 'cone free, isn't it? I'll have to give it another go. Thanks for the reminder :)

Yeah, in so far I have info on it, I think it is without silicones. Yep, it's that curl cream!

SaraJayne
February 4th, 2016, 03:24 PM
Great, thank you. I'm going to pick some up at the weekend and try it again!

lapushka
February 4th, 2016, 03:26 PM
Great, thank you. I'm going to pick some up at the weekend and try it again!

Ooh, let us know how you get on with it! :)

meteor
February 4th, 2016, 04:13 PM
I see some folks mentioning Vatika products... :) I've only used their enriched coconut oil (which I really loved), but I think the best chances of finding a variety of Vatika stuff locally in cities is in big Indian and Middle Eastern grocery stores as well as in ethnic hair care shops.

lapushka
February 4th, 2016, 04:23 PM
Yes, the little cylinder bottle with the green "bobble" as a cap. The coconut oil. I loved that one, even though my hair normally can't get along well with coconut oil. It's been years since I've had that, though. Yeeears.

Salwety
February 5th, 2016, 05:50 AM
Lucky me ... I have access to all vatika products. But dont they have silicon in them. And of couse the oil contains mineral oils. I am trying to stop using these stuff since dinding the LHC.
But I like her hair sooooooo much .Thank you lapushka for sharing it :)
And now I am in thinking should I reintroduce silicon or not!!! Back again to trying to find a routine :rolleyes:

pailin
February 5th, 2016, 05:53 AM

Oo, we have that here! I'm going to have to try it!

SaraJayne
February 5th, 2016, 06:28 AM
Ooh, let us know how you get on with it! :)

I will do, update to follow next week...

pailin
February 5th, 2016, 08:00 AM

Oo, we have that here! I'm going to have to try it!

meteor
February 5th, 2016, 11:08 AM
Yes, the little cylinder bottle with the green "bobble" as a cap. The coconut oil. I loved that one, even though my hair normally can't get along well with coconut oil. It's been years since I've had that, though. Yeeears.

Yes, that's the one I used, too! :hifive:
It was a really excellent hand and cuticle oil, as well. Lots of healthy herbs there, though I could never understand why it was completely white, despite being infused with herbs that normally make an oil very dark brownish-greenish color, if you DIY it. :hmm:

Lucky me ... I have access to all vatika products. But dont they have silicon in them. And of couse the oil contains mineral oils. I am trying to stop using these stuff since dinding the LHC.

I don't avoid mineral oil or 'cones, but that Vatika enriched coconut oil was free of them, it's just coconut oil infused with herbs: neem, amla, brahmi, henna, lemon, rosemary, etc (the bottle looked like this - http://urbanbushbabes.com/vatika-oil/). But I know that many other Vatika oil products are paraffinum liquidum (i.e. mineral oil)-based, usually mineral oil infused with some Indian herbs.
I don't know if they have silicones in masks, since the website doesn't list ingredients, but I checked pictures of a few jars online (Black Seed (https://www.bonanza.com/items/like/173272307/Dabur-Vatika-1000g-Black-Seed-Hair-Mask-Treatment-Cream-Complete-Protection-Usa) mask, Garlic (https://www.bonanza.com/items/like/173272201/Dabur-Vatika-1kg-Garlic-Hair-Mask-Treatment-Cream-Promote-Hair-Growth-Usa-Sellr)mask, Egg (http://www.bonanza.com/listings/dabur-vatika-500grams-egg-protein-deep-conditioning-hair-mask-usa-fast-shipping/173272165)mask, Olive (http://www.bonanza.com/listings/Dabur-Vatika-500grams-Virgin-Olive-Deep-Conditioning-Hair-Mask-USA-SELLER/173274167)mask, Lemon (http://www.bonanza.com/listings/Dabur-Vatika-Lemon-Deep-Conditioning-Hair-Mask-Cream-Fights-Dandruff-Usa-Seller/173272917)mask, Hot Oil (http://www.bonanza.com/listings/Dabur-Vatika-500grams-Deep-Conditioning-Hot-Oil-Treatment-Silky-Shiny-Hair-Usa/173273411) mask), and none of them contain silicones or mineral oil. But be careful, they often contain lawsonia inermis/henna leaf extract (!), so I have no idea if they are safe for light-haired folks to use. (Click on the links and then photos of the back of the products, if you want to read the ingredients.)

And you can always just check the ingredients lists on the jars in stores, it's safer that way, since products frequently get reformulated anyway. ;) HTH! :flower:

lapushka
February 5th, 2016, 11:16 AM
Yes, that's the one I used, too! :hifive:
It was a really excellent hand and cuticle oil, as well. Lots of healthy herbs there, though I could never understand why it was completely white, despite being infused with herbs that normally make an oil very dark brownish-greenish color, if you DIY it. :hmm:

I don't remember it being white... I thought transparent... but then it's been sooo long! :)

meteor
February 5th, 2016, 11:38 AM
I don't remember it being white... I thought transparent... but then it's been sooo long! :)

Oh yes, it's transparent when liquid :agree:, sorry, I just meant that it looks white when it solidifies, since it's always solid at our temperatures here. It looks exactly like standard coconut oil, which is why I wonder about how they infused those herbs into it that normally make coconut oil really dark brown. :hmm:

lapushka
February 5th, 2016, 01:54 PM
Oh yes, it's transparent when liquid :agree:, sorry, I just meant that it looks white when it solidifies, since it's always solid at our temperatures here. It looks exactly like standard coconut oil, which is why I wonder about how they infused those herbs into it that normally make coconut oil really dark brown. :hmm:

I never noticed. My container was always rock-hard, and it had to be put it in warm water (or I'd put it in a cloth on the radiator), then I'd get some out. Which is why it never looked white to me, I guess. I just immediately used up what I got out, and never let it sit out. I used to use it as a hot oil treatment before washing back in the day. This was a long time ago.

meteor
February 5th, 2016, 02:25 PM
^ Oh yes. :) I was just surprised to see that the product looks just like pure coconut oil and doesn't contain any colorants while it's infused with all those really darkening herbs. By the way, if anybody is interested, there are easy ways of DIY-ing this oil from fresh ingredients (e.g. http://moptopmaven.blogspot.ca/2010/08/regimen-building-go-ayurvedic-part-2.html, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlp8X2F2zO8, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOte5hmM3hw)... it will just look really dark greenish-brown and it can go bad pretty fast, compared to the commercial product.

lapushka
February 6th, 2016, 05:34 AM
Ooh, interesting that you can infuse it yourself, meteor! A little too much work for me, I no longer DIY stuff, but those are great ideas.

LongCurlyTress
February 6th, 2016, 05:33 PM
Nope, it is a really good product, as stated by more than a few YTers I watch. I've never gotten a hold of it so can't compare it to other things.

Oh.. KK! ;) Thanks for letting me know. If I ever try it or find it, I will be sure to report back. ;)

Beezle
February 13th, 2016, 01:19 AM
Thanks for posting this Lapushka. I have walked past Vatika for so many years and just didn't consider it. Even though I have the complete opposite to her hair, I used the same jar she recommended. I was very surprised to see that the jar says "product of Italy" when I always thought it was Indian.
Apart from catching my elbow on the open jar and spinning across the room to deposit globs of conditioner way beyond the distance that seems feasible (sigh) I loved the results. My hair is almost dry and it feels happy and healthy. If I'm not imagining too much, it also feels a smidgen thicker! But that could easily be wishful thinking. Nevertheless it's a great find and I'm very happy with the aroma, texture and more importantly, the results.

lapushka
February 13th, 2016, 09:56 AM
Glad you got something out of the video, Beezle! Literally & figuratively. :D