PDA

View Full Version : Can diffusers bring out natural curls?

anonymous_owl
February 2nd, 2016, 11:41 AM
I'm trying to bring out more curls in my hair, I'm not an expert with hair. I need it cut, but I just can't find one I like yet, trying to find one that fits long curly hair the most. But I was wondering, can diffusers bring out natural curls?

Arctic
February 2nd, 2016, 11:46 AM
On some hairtypes yes. I'd say the stronger waves or curles you have the better diffuser would work.

But for example for me, who is a mixture of 1b to 2b, it just makes my hair ugly and messy in a very unattractive way.

parkmikii
February 2nd, 2016, 12:36 PM
For me yes. It did bring out my curls more. But I never really use a blow dryer as I'm keeping my hair up 99% of the time :D

lapushka
February 2nd, 2016, 01:23 PM
Depends on what type of hair you have? What's your hairtype?

anonymous_owl
February 2nd, 2016, 01:31 PM
Mine ranges from 2A to 2C. I've noticed when it's cut, it's curlier. Are there any specific cuts that's good for curly hair?

lapushka
February 2nd, 2016, 01:35 PM
Mine ranges from 2A to 2C. I've noticed when it's cut, it's curlier. Are there any specific cuts that's good for curly hair?

If you are in the 2 range, don't get it cut too short, or the waves will have no chance to form. You need at least BSL length or around that length for this to work well. I am in the 2 range as well, but there is no chance of getting "curls" with a diffuser, just better defined waves, is all. You have to stay realistic.

If you do want ringlets, then a no-heat roller set is the best way to go.

anonymous_owl
February 2nd, 2016, 01:40 PM
My hair is about 27" right now. I'll probably need about 5" cut off cause I haven't had it cut for awhile, so buying a diffuser would be useless to me then?

Arctic
February 2nd, 2016, 01:48 PM
Well, diffusers have other benefits too; they are gentle and minimize frizz, and often it's just convenient to have a hair dryer on hand. It also makes drying scalp hair an easy task. I like my diffuser a lot, and seached with cats and dogs last summer when I was looking for a new dryer, a one with nice, big diffuser.

Since you too have a multi-textured hair, it's likely that diffuser (if you do it in the curl encouraging way, which is not the only way) might encourage your waviers hairs to spring up, but possibly not so much of the more straighter types. I wouldn't be surprised if you'd got few spirals there, it's characteristic for 2c to be borderline curly.

Truth is, you probably have to try the diffuser to see how you like it. Hair can be very individual, so who knows it may be the best thing ever for you.

lapushka
February 2nd, 2016, 01:53 PM
My hair is about 27" right now. I'll probably need about 5" cut off cause I haven't had it cut for awhile, so buying a diffuser would be useless to me then?

I'm not saying it will be useless. But you can't expect curls when all you have is waves. I can't expect that either. You will be able to "enhance" the volume and the frizz-free state and get more defined waves, and that's worth a lot too! I towel-dry for 45 min. (t-shirt), then airdry for 3H and then all that needs to happen is to run a diffuser through for 4 min. - it's a good system, for me, and I get plenty out of "finishing the hair off" with the diffuser (dry roots for one).

I would still get one if you have your heart set on it!

Just buy a blow dryer that has:

- separate speed setting
- separate heat setting
- cool shot button (preferably one that is a switch, and that you don't need to hold down)

IF you only have waves. Have you done a hairtyping according to the guidelines here yet?

anonymous_owl
February 2nd, 2016, 01:57 PM
I have frizz big time. One part of my hair doesn't really curl much anymore and it depresses me. Might just be my haircut. It wasn't really cut the way I wanted it, i have like one huge layered side. it bothers me

anonymous_owl
February 2nd, 2016, 01:58 PM
My hair is curly and wavy

Sarahlabyrinth
February 2nd, 2016, 02:22 PM
Have you tried Lapushka's rinse out oil method? That helps a lot with frizz.

lapushka
February 2nd, 2016, 02:48 PM
Yeah, might want to take a look at your routine too.

But I'd get a diffuser. I'd say it *can be* a staple in any wavy/curly's routine. I wouldn't want to be without mine, for sure!