PDA

View Full Version : Had to Buzz

MotherOfDragons
February 2nd, 2016, 08:15 AM
shudder:shudder:shudder:shudder:

Yes, it's true. After years of growing out a pixie, I had to buzz my hair for medical reasons. I had severe eczema on my scalp and had to literally shave my head.

Pros:

Super low maintenance. I haven't owned shampoo or conditioner in months!
It feels really cool and soft
I literally wake up and go, no time required.

Cons:

Oh boy. The stares. I get stares everywhere. I feel so self-conscious.
Femininity. After having a pixie at several points in my life, I didn't think my femininity was tied to my hair... but a buzz cut is just too short for me. I feel weird and I don't feel pretty.
Having to get a trim literally every 2 weeks.
You have to sunscreen your entire head or wear a hat constantly!
My head is freezing. I have to sleep with a hat on or a hoodie with the hood up.

Needless to say, now that my eczema has cleared up and stayed clear for a few months, I am ready to embark on the loooooooong journey to long hair again. I am ancy and just want it past all the awkward stages! Luckily I have a fantastic stylist who has grown out a pixie before, so hopefully I can navigate the weird in-between stages.

Wish me luck! I'm glad to be on here and know I will have support!

missrandie
February 2nd, 2016, 08:20 AM
I'm glad to hear that the eczema cleared up!

I'm sure you have probably already found it, but there is a Super Shorties thread that can help you through the awkward stages.

I'm sorry you don't feel pretty. I figured out after a while of having my pixie that there was a two-short point for me too, and I crossed it a couple of times.

Happy growing!

MotherOfDragons
February 2nd, 2016, 08:40 AM
Thanks so much, I didn't know about that section!

Echileruwen
February 2nd, 2016, 08:48 AM
Just keep thinking of the lovely hair you'll be able to grow once this is cleared up.

embee
February 2nd, 2016, 08:55 AM
We've got a number of folks who lost their hair due to chemo. Hope you have found the reason for the eczema problem and you will be able to grow out long and healthy and beautiful again.

I have not had a buzz cut, but I had a boy-cut and it was too short, I didn't feel feminine. My worst was a short cut with a perm - I really felt *ugly* for a long time. Very sad as there was no way to fix it except grow the horrid thing out. Freaked me every time I saw myself in the mirror or a shop window reflection.

I have thyroid troubles and sleep with a hoodie - it keeps the chill off my head *and off the back of my neck. :) Best wishes for happy growing.

vpatt
February 2nd, 2016, 09:03 AM
I can see how you might feel and we do get "attached" to our hair. But remember you are so much more than just hair, you are wonderful even without it. I'm glad your scalp is clear....I have a skin problem, too. Happy growing!

AJNinami
February 2nd, 2016, 09:16 AM
Growing out is a long and tough process, but at the short stages it seems like the hair really goes fast! I'm sure it will be exciting for you :) I'm so sorry you had to go through that though, I would hate to shave my head. There's a lot more that goes into "femininity" besides long hair though- things like softness of the jaw and brow, the curvature of the hips, and even the hands. You probably appear much more feminine than you think. I have seen absolutely beautiful women with not a hair on their head and to me they look even less harsh than those with hair, and somehow ageless. Good luck to you! ~

parkmikii
February 2nd, 2016, 10:00 AM
I'm so glad that the eczema problem is solved at least and now you can grow your hair long again.
Happy growing! :D

LongCurlyTress
February 2nd, 2016, 10:13 AM
Are you able to wear a wig? That is what I would do!! There are so many that look natural and beautiful. Just a thought. ;) I don't mean to sound insensitive. Just trying to give you a coping idea for the duration. Hugs!!!

lapushka
February 2nd, 2016, 03:45 PM
What if the problem resurfaces once you're at a longer length again? You can't keep cutting your hair, surely. I know when my SD (seborrheic dermatitis) is terribly bad, my hair is full of giant flakes, my scalp is red and itchy and it is damn annoying, no it's not pleasant, but I don't think I'd chop my hair off. I know (and I had to learn) that I need an antifungal shampoo now and that it will take about a month to clear up. The time in between is horrible, but I would not dream of buzzing my hair off. It doesn't solve the issue.

Can I ask, what made you want to chop it all off? Was it that bad?

MotherOfDragons
February 2nd, 2016, 04:47 PM
Thank you so much for all the positive feedback and encouragement!
My doctor actually recommended that I cut it off, because I have a lot of hair. She was having a hard time really see how bad it was because she could only see a little bits of my scalp at any one time. It has taken a while to get under control, but it's been tame now for a few months, so I think I have the treatment figured out.