PDA

View Full Version : Got my hair stuck in a hairdryer yesterday - it's now in the bin!!!

Somzy
February 1st, 2016, 12:11 PM
I'm so lucky to have had my boyfriend with me otherwise I would have had to have around 6 inches of my hair cut off at the side of my head!

The filter had come off at the back of the dryer and my hair got sucked in a wrapped around the air intake...

Hopefully this never happens to you guys ever!

Gaalsong
February 1st, 2016, 12:32 PM
Ahh! That sounds terrible! I'm glad you had help and didn't lose your hair.

hypersensitive
February 1st, 2016, 12:35 PM
Oh this is cringe city for me! I've had this happen and I didn't have anyone to help me! This was years ago and I just to cut off the parts that are stuck. I still look upon my hairdryer with much suspicion every time I need to use it. Be careful out there!!

Laurenji
February 1st, 2016, 12:49 PM
Oh man, when I read your thread title I didn't know whether "it" was referring to your hair or the hairdryer! Glad it's the hairdryer and not the hair.

languagenut
February 1st, 2016, 12:49 PM
I don't use a hair dryer because I don't want to take the time; I just let it air dry as I do whatever around the house (or step outside to speed up the process; Colorado breeze makes a great hairdryer!). Now I have all the more reason to not use one :blueeek:! Glad you had someone there to help rescue your hair!

ETA: I thought the same thing, Laurenji!

Arctic
February 1st, 2016, 12:54 PM
Ouch, that's nightmarish!

When I was on the lookout for a new drier last year, I almost bought a model X from brand Y (sorry I cannot remember anymore, and don't have time to search for the names now. I remember it was red, perhaps Remington). Thankfully I read some reviews on it, and it came up regularly that that model sucks in long hair through the incoming air vent (I think it is called?) at the back. It must be a design flaw as so many customers mentioned it. Needless to say I continued looking, I was too scared to buy a vacuum cleaner hair drier like that!

meteor
February 1st, 2016, 12:54 PM
Oh no! :( This is terrible, so sorry this happened to you! :grouphug:

This happened to me a few times (yes, I'm that clumsy! :oops:) back when I used hairdryers, and one thing I'd recommend is: *immediately* unplug the thing. Don't try to pull out the hair out of the mechanism as you are struggling and panicking and pulling out hairs painfully, just turn the hairdryer off right away and then start unraveling the strands. Take your time, use a mirror, the end of a rattail comb, a pin or needle, scissors..., whatever is needed.

Pointing the air intake away from the mane as you are moving the hairdryer around is critical.

Sorry again that this happened to you, Somzy! :grouphug: I hope this never happens to anyone again! :pray:

parkmikii
February 1st, 2016, 12:55 PM
Oh man, when I read your thread title I didn't know whether "it" was referring to your hair or the hairdryer! Glad it's the hairdryer and not the hair.

Exactly what I thought too before reading the post..

lapushka
February 1st, 2016, 01:27 PM
Yeah, the filter is on there for a reason. If for some reason my filter gives, I am going to toss the dryer - it's like that. I'm so sorry this happened to you!

yahirwaO.o
February 1st, 2016, 05:28 PM
Oh yes it happened to me once. :rant: It was the main reason I didn't blow dry my hair for years! it was an awful old model type that didnt even had heat settings, I was round brushing (my awful mullet stage to make it look presentable) when I was flipping my hair upside down and then, accident happened. I remember I was able to get it out of my hair after 20 minutes but my strands were literally burned out because that back part was insanely hot.

Now I use a better blow dryer that has a protection at the back part and keep it fairly far from my overall hair at mid temperature. I think, current types are way less harsh than old types, still I prefer to air dry my hair as much as I can (sometimes it's hard because I wash my hair everyday-every other day rate).

dulce
February 1st, 2016, 05:34 PM
Yep,that happened to me too! I won't use a blowdryer any more,just air dry or I use a floor fan.

khryz
February 1st, 2016, 06:29 PM
That's awful. My hair got stuck in a hairdryer before, I had to cut off about 2 inches. And glad your hairdryer is now in the bin!

czech it out
February 1st, 2016, 08:19 PM
This happens to me pretty regularly although nothing so extreme! I have a cheap dryer and the air intake will munch on loose strands if you're not paying attention. Usually I am alerted by the charred smell. :shake: That's what happens when you get a bottom of the barrel dryer I guess! We need to invest in some nicer equipment!

Stormynights
February 1st, 2016, 09:49 PM
I had that happen with an expensive dryer. The back would unscrew so you could clean the filter. I had never taken that part off and it just fell off and it sucked up the hair instantly.

Dessi
February 1st, 2016, 10:52 PM
Oh, happened to me too! And more than once I was close to it happening again. But I haven't touched a hairdryer in almost 2 years so it's fine now. :D

Sweets
February 2nd, 2016, 12:59 AM
I've conditioned myself into believing that hairdryers are bad...LOL!!! DBF and his mom use one, and every time it's left out on the counter, I immediately put it away. I don't like even looking at the thing. I've never had my hair caught, but the idea terrifies me. The one tie I've used it in the last year, it was because it was about 6 degrees F outside and I had showered too close to when I had to leave for work and I didn't want my hair to freeze when I went outside. I used it with the "cool" button held down the entire time, and still left with a damp head. I swear I got a sore arm from holding it so far away from my head!

lapushka
February 2nd, 2016, 04:38 AM
My Braun has one of these finely meshed filters on at the back. About a half a year to a year ago... I guess? I got one hair... *one* hair that got sucked in through the mesh, boy, I felt that! But what are the chances that one hair can get in there, really? I mean, it's insane. Still they don't make the holes tiny enough for that - I guess enough air still needs to be able to pass through.

Yeah, one thing I learned from that is, don't get hair over the filter. I keep that hair-free at all times now - no issues.

Will that prevent me from using a blow dryer? No!