PDA

View Full Version : Medium to Course& dry hair growth.

Katlyn Forntell
January 31st, 2016, 11:33 PM
Hi, I'm currently at a pixie cut that went from red/Titan hair bleached twice then dyed once then henna then wash out colour. I would like to get some help from some people who are able to grow out course hair as every time I grow out my med to course hair the pony tail ends up wire like and ratty. The hair dressers talk me into the fact that my hair is gross and cut if all off. 😠
i feel missundestood and I had my mum pay a lot of money to got to an exclusive salon and he mentioned my hair felt like African or African australian hair. He used some African American products on it and it felt great which got me thinking maybe my whole life my hair is not horrible maybe they just could be bothered knowing about my hair type. I bet there is a weath of knowledge out there about how to grow course dry wiry hair even though mine is not tight coils or curls it's just wavy I could still learn heaps from those who have successfully grown the course dry type out with out it being so damaged you hav to cut of 5 inches of damage. Any advise or anyone going through this growing out with course and dry hair?

lapushka
February 1st, 2016, 05:24 AM
Oiling the hair, if your scalp can take it is a great thing to do when your hair/scalp is dry.

Also if you are wavy, you might want to read the book "Curly Girl" by Lorraine Massey. There's also a wiki how page on the method, here:
http://www.wikihow.com/Follow-the-Curly-Girl-Method-for-Curly-Hair

There's plenty of methods to consider for washing that you'll find here (CO, CWC, WCC, etc.) and there is the LOC method for styling. Take a look at the site, there is plenty to be found here on these methods. Give us a shout if you need more help with that. But the newbie advice is *the* thing to read through here first:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=126309

missrandie
February 1st, 2016, 06:59 AM
Hi there! I agree with Lapushka, check out the new section.

I was also reading where you were talking about having coarse hair in the pixie thread.. Here is the link to the coarse hair thread for you :) I think it might help you.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=45554

Also, in the thread about conditioner-only washing, there is a lovely member, GRU, who has coarse hair. She has curly hair, but her story and advice may resonate with you.

reilly0167
February 1st, 2016, 09:25 AM
I agree with the above suggestions, I too have issues with hair dryness and scalp and I oil every week with olive oil, honey and a new addition of castor oil in the mix. When you decide to try a method, a treatment etc. Don't try it all at once, give each method a chance and time, that way you know which works for you the best. :)

meteor
February 1st, 2016, 04:07 PM
I agree with all the great advice posted here!

I should mention that one of the important things often characteristic of dry and coarse hair is the low degree of plasticity, flexibility. So things like oils and silicones and butters can really help with that. Moisturizing treatments can be of great help, for example, the SMT or honey+oil packs, etc.
It's worth mentioning that some folks with coarse hair have to avoid hydrolyzed proteins: proteins add structure, extra scaffolding and rigidity, but coarse hair often doesn't need that (unless there is some damage accumulated) due to thick strand diameter, but it does needs moisture.
In a nutshell, I'd really focus on finding the oils that add maximum elasticity, slip, manageability and don't build up too fast. There are different oiling methods to experiment with, for example, pre-poo oil soaks, oil rinses, oils added to conditioners/treatments, "sealing" moisture with oil or serum either alone or in a "LOC" routine (liquid + oil + cream).

Here is an interesting article on coarse hair: http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.ca/2012/03/plasticity-or-how-medium-to-coarse-hair.html

sumidha
February 1st, 2016, 09:14 PM
I was going to recommend SMT but Meteor beat me to it. :)

I am in the minority, I know, but protein really helps my coarse hair go from grabby to glossy. My favorite protein treatment is gelatin mixed in with my SMT. If none of the other suggestions help, maybe try that before giving up. :)