PDA

View Full Version : hair on legs loss relate to head?

mamaherrera
January 31st, 2016, 08:37 PM
I notice my legs aren't as hairy as they used to be when I was a teen (i'm 35) and that the hairs are more sparser and some areas with no hair, little area.s Does that always mean that you will go bald or lose hair on the head or are they two different issues? Has anyone else experienced this??MY mom says it is from wearnig pants all the time.

Anje
January 31st, 2016, 08:49 PM
Well, it's fair to say that men don't seem to have a correlation between less hair on their legs and less on their head. Never heard one way or another for women, but my leg hair has always been ultra-fine, sparse, short, and strawberry blond -- quite different from my head hair.

Sarahlabyrinth
January 31st, 2016, 09:29 PM
I too have less hair on my legs than I used to. I believe it is because much of it gets worn off by my socks :p Seriously, I can't see that there would be any correlation, myself.

As far as I can tell, my head hair is as thick as ever.

mamaherrera
January 31st, 2016, 09:31 PM
Thanks Sarah. I've always wanted to have less hair on my legs as I've always been hairy, lots. So now I won't care at all, knowing it has no correlation to my head. And you definitely have a thick head of hair, so you will be my proof!! Mine isn't just by socks, but maybe my yoga pants/just pants in general. I always wear low ankle socks.

I too have less hair on my legs that I used to. I believe it is because much of it gets worn off by my socks :p Seriously, I can't see that there would be any correlation, myself.

As far as I can tell, my head hair is as thick as ever.

Beborani
January 31st, 2016, 09:39 PM
It is usually caused by loss of estrogen at and after menopause. It can also happen after hysterectomy if ovaries are also removed.

mamaherrera
January 31st, 2016, 09:42 PM
Well I'm only 35 so i don't think (I hope) that isn't happening to me. My mom had a hysterectomy and maybe that's why she lost her hair. But then after her hysterectomy her hair on her hair thinned as well. So that's why I worry.

It is usually caused by loss of estrogen at and after menopause. It can also happen after hysterectomy if ovaries are also removed.

M.McDonough
January 31st, 2016, 11:06 PM
I guess if your arm hair is still the same there is nothing to worry about. You sound like me btw. I'm always insecure about the future :mad

mamaherrera
February 1st, 2016, 12:11 AM
Thanks for understanding. I've seen slight fluctuations in my ponytail circumference so that's why I've been worried. I don't have tons of hair like others on here!

catasa
February 1st, 2016, 01:21 AM
Hmm, this is interesting, I have been wondering about exactly the same thing for the last couple of months. My leg hair has definitely become sparser, and I have been worrying if this would also affect head hair. I have been ill (mostly stress-related) so I have not surprisingly had some thinning of my head hair, but so far not to a really worrying level, but my leg hair has at least been halved if not more, both in amount and coarseness. I feel a little better now seeing the answers in this thread :) Itīs interesting about the estrogen, I have had PMS/hormonal issues for a long time and have been wondering about my hormone levels.

Regarding socks/pants, I think this is definitely not related for me, since I normally wear quite tight jeans, but now when I have been ill I have been wearing loose sweat pants almost all the time, for quite a long time (if it is not an inverse sort of effect, where my tight trousers caused coarser and richer hair growth :p )

mamaherrera
February 1st, 2016, 01:49 AM
GLAD TO KNOw I'm not the only one wondrin// . . . like I said, I 've love to be hairless on my legs as long as there is not relationship with my head as I've too, had lots of stress.

embee
February 1st, 2016, 07:15 AM
I have heard that body hair loss can also be related to thyroid troubles.

lapushka
February 1st, 2016, 07:32 AM
Well, simple question. Is the hair on your head thinning? It seems as though you keep mentioning that. I'm sorry... but it's true. You are deadly afraid, it seems, of having thinner hair. Just my observation. You are anxious about that, aren't you? :) I'm just nosy/friendly on this matter. Just wanting to get to the bottom of this, because every few months the same kind of thread seems popping up by you.

And no, there is no correlation. :)

mamaherrera
February 1st, 2016, 04:26 PM
Thanks Embee When I go to the doc in the next month, I will have them check. They always say my numbers are good, but I know there is subclinical thyroid issues to that don't get picked up in blood tests because the ranges are so broad.

Brileeka
February 2nd, 2016, 12:12 AM
Losing your hair on your legs seems to be a normal thing as we age. At least it is that way for both of my parents who are in the 50's and their legs are almost hairless now but their hair on their heads remains the same. So from my observation body hair just falls out with age and I see that a blessing.

lapushka
February 2nd, 2016, 04:43 AM
Yeah, I don't have as much hair on my legs now as I did in my 20s. And I'm 43 now, about to be 44 so...

But do have your thyroid checked regularly, seems a little odd they don't see a pattern there.

mamaherrera
February 3rd, 2016, 05:48 PM
yes I too see being hairless as a blessing .. . now I feel more comfortable with seeing it "lessen." Thanks

jrmviola
February 4th, 2016, 03:51 PM
I haven't shaved my legs in.... I wont say. It used to be embarrassing now i just don't care. But during the summer when i work outside wearing knee pads and heavy jeans and im squatting alot, i dont have hardly any hair on my knees or anywhere where the straps hold on. Or on the top of my legs where i sit alot. And in the winter the hair comes back. So it is possible for hair to get rubbed off if there is something you are doing. I dont think there is a correlation with hair loss on your head and wouldnt worry...

Silverbrumby
February 4th, 2016, 04:08 PM
Definitely less hair everywhere on my body. I'm 50 ish. My thyroid is fine too. I've noticed it happens to some women. My head hair has increased the last 3 years but that's due to trying things that worked for me and better hair care, less stress.

mamaherrera
February 4th, 2016, 08:23 PM
really?? good news, thanks all for sharing. Silverbrumby--when you began to stress less, you did get thicker hair?? I'm so trying to stress less.

maborosi
February 7th, 2016, 10:13 AM
This is happening to my parents, who are both in their late 50's/ early 60's. My mom and dad both have bald patches where they used to have hair (on their legs, etc) that has steadily getting more noticeable in the last few years.
But neither one has ANY hair loss. My mom is an iii+ and M/C hair, while my dad has 1c/F/ii hair. The only thing that's changed is the texture of my mom's hair has gotten wavier as she's gotten older.

I don't know that the loss of hair on the body is necessarily indicative that you'll lose hair on your head, if my parents are anything to go by.