PDA

View Full Version : Best braids for small, wiggly, wavy hair?

rhondalicious
March 21st, 2008, 08:21 AM
My almost 2 year old has hair down past her mid back (but not quite waist, either) - French Braiding, well, the part where you bring locks up into the braid always looks funky because the hair at her temples is just short and wavy enough that it pulls back out of the braid. And since her hair is wavy, it always looks loopy and messy, no matter how carefully I comb each lock before braiding it...

So sometimes I put her hair in 2 pigtails then braid it in regular braids - it looks more tidy, but I'm worried about breakage from the pony tail holders.

What else can I do for fine, wavy hair on a small, wiggly child? Something quick, firm, and hard to pull out? (She yanks buns right off into a tangly mess).

Ursula
March 21st, 2008, 09:00 AM
For small children like this, doing two plain braids, while wet in the tub, can be a very secure style, and playing in the tub can help reduce the wiggle away factor. It can be quite a simple routine - wash and condition in the tub (or CO wash), comb/detangle while full of conditioner, rinse while combing, braid firmly, and done. You can comb out and rebraid each side separately, as needed, so you don't have to have the child sit for two braids in a row.

Don't worry about wiggly bits coming out. That just happens with wavy hair. If she sleeps in her braids, a satin pillowcase can help them keep looking nice for the next day. LisaJaney sells very affordable pillowcases through her cloth-pad online store. (Google "TLC Pads." No, she doesn't pay me, but I've used both her pads and her pillowcases, and will vouch for their quality.)

I'm going to try to get my "Braid 911" article back up again in the next few weeks, which focuses on making firmer braids, to help people who can braid but have problems with consistantly making tidy braids.

khyricat
March 21st, 2008, 10:00 AM
2 dutch braids is what mom used to do to me.. and what I later did to myself, still do when I have too much new growth around the front to stay neat in a single braid.. I don't mind the fuzzies as much with a bun for some reason as I do with a braid...

aprilmay
March 21st, 2008, 10:04 AM
My almost 3 year old daughter won't tolerate anything in her hair, hates having it brushed or washed. It is mid-back length. I only attack it when she gets snarls and I use conditioner to help untangle it.

She pulls clips, hair bands, etc out and screams. She also insists my hair be down, but that is not always practical! LOL

rhondalicious
March 21st, 2008, 10:14 AM
Aprilmay, my daughter is just like that! Any clips/ponytails/barettes - gone the next time I'm not looking.

But braids, since I can braid a nice firm braid, well, braids stay in.

I just hate putting rubber bands on her hair close to the scalp - if my husband is taking them out, he ALWAYS rips, instead of going loop by loop to undo the band. No wonder she hollers, I can even hear and see the hairs breaking and ripping out.

It doesn't help that he wants all the short wurlies contained, so she doesn't look messy, but every time he does that, it makes MORE short wurlies.

Tomorrow I'll try 2 plain braids, without rubber bands near the scalp, like Ursula suggested, and see how well things stick together! Because even in today's french braids, she has a halo of shortie hairs. I tried to take a picture with my webcam, but she moves so fast she is just a blur!

Tapioca
March 21st, 2008, 10:47 AM
A little oil can help with the fuzzies, too. When I braid my hair, I'll rub a little coconut oil between my hands and slide them down the braid. Nice and shiny. My daughter's five now, and actually cares about how she looks, but when she was two, it was different. Rubber bands near the scalp are fine, as long as they are no-damage. And I had the same problem with my husband ripping the bands out. So, I switched her to the goody no-damage plasticy ones that come like 100 to a box for about $2. Then I showed my husband how to use a cuticle scissor or nail clipper to carefully cut one loop of the rubber band. Once it's broken, the whole thing just falls out. No damage. He has to be careful, though, not to cut any hair. It helps to pull that one loop of band away, then cut.

spidermom
March 21st, 2008, 10:54 AM
My almost 3 year old daughter won't tolerate anything in her hair, hates having it brushed or washed. It is mid-back length. I only attack it when she gets snarls and I use conditioner to help untangle it.

She pulls clips, hair bands, etc out and screams. She also insists my hair be down, but that is not always practical! LOL

Funny. When my granddaughter was about the same age, whenever she would see me start to put my hair up, she would cry "no gramma, don't!" As for her own hair - same thing.

I wanted to suggest 2 dutch braids (instead of french). They will hold better. I don't think the ponytail/braid is a bad idea, either. They are faster. Just use the fluffy ponytail holders that are made of a material kind of like plushy bathrobes. They are totally hair friendly and cheap. I just bought hundreds of them in a zipper-pouch for $2.00.

rhondalicious
July 22nd, 2009, 08:55 AM
I just thought I'd add an update... Now my daughter is 3 and she LOVES to have me do her hair! I bought myself a BBB, and she always wants me to use it on her, she calls it the "tickly brush". And she often asks me to do her hair like Disney princess styles, she gets a bun to be Cinderella or MuLan, and a half-up bun with twists on the side to be Belle...

She DEFINITELY has my wavy funky hair, but now that she enjoys having her hair done, she usually sits still long enough for me to finish a style, and the BBB really helps smooth down her lumpies and bumpies.

So I just wanted to let you all know I really appreciated the advice back then, and I'm so proud of my baby longhair - we had to do a big cut when she stopped letting me do her hair altogether, but now it's back to what would be BSL if she wore a B!