PDA

View Full Version : Deceiving information in hair videos

longcurlygirl<3
January 30th, 2016, 02:57 PM
Hi all, as I was browsing through some videos, this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-od9ynv-xsY appeared on my feed. Although there are benefits with using these oils, no one's hair will grow that much length overnight. Does it bother anyone else when people purposely falsify information?

bunneh.
January 30th, 2016, 03:05 PM
I would think most people know of such spam... Or they should...

longcurlygirl<3
January 30th, 2016, 03:06 PM
Nope, read the comments (if you have time) you'd be surprised of how many are deceived...

luxurioushair
January 30th, 2016, 03:12 PM
Everybody knows their hair will not literally grow overnight...the tips about using oil are very good anyway.

HeartofHaleth
January 30th, 2016, 03:12 PM
Ugh. As somebody who has at various times been given false hope by claims like this (though maybe not that extreme; I'm gullible, but not THAT gullible), I cannot stand this practice. When I don't know anything about a subject and want to know more, I set to merrily researching online. I don't need a series of disappointments and false advertising.

Llama
January 30th, 2016, 03:33 PM
I hate those, I never click on them. Such liars lol

Mimha
January 30th, 2016, 03:34 PM
Lol. I'm gonna try this BS mixture a few days, and I bet after one month or something Gossamer, JJJ and HeavenlyTresses will just look like amateurs compared to me ! :p

:popcorn:

Nique1202
January 30th, 2016, 03:38 PM
You'd be surprised how many believe that things like trimming according to moon cycles/tides/star signs, taking megadoses of vitamins you're not deficient in, sitting with your head lower than the rest of your body, using certain oils or massage methods, or any number of other things can either accelerate your growth rate or make your hair grow thicker. Placebo effect and confirmation bias go a long way to perpetuating this kind of old wives' tale.

lapushka
January 30th, 2016, 03:47 PM
You'd be surprised how many believe that things like trimming according to moon cycles/tides/star signs, taking megadoses of vitamins you're not deficient in, sitting with your head lower than the rest of your body, using certain oils or massage methods, or any number of other things can either accelerate your growth rate or make your hair grow thicker. Placebo effect and confirmation bias go a long way to perpetuating this kind of old wives' tale.

I agree. :agree: There is nothing like *patience* - it's just going to grow mostly 1/2 inch a month anyway. Better realize that and take part in a no-trimming challenge or something. ;)

Robi-Bird
January 30th, 2016, 04:08 PM
I agree. :agree: There is nothing like *patience* - it's just going to grow mostly 1/2 inch a month anyway. Better realize that and take part in a no-trimming challenge or something. ;)

That right there is the core problem with, I think, society in general. No one has any patience. Growing your hair does not happen overnight but there will always be people who are fundamentally lazy who will pay up the big bucks for snake oil because they haven't learnt to exercise patience.

Llama
January 30th, 2016, 04:09 PM

Hey quit taking away all the fun! :)

PristineAllure
January 30th, 2016, 04:36 PM
I would think most people know of such spam... Or they should...

No. Not at all. Things like this seriously make me laugh. Look at how many likes the video has, so many people must think that the information is valuable. Honestly.. I don't understand how the majority of people in the world can be so ignorant about hair. Hair care. And hair growth. I know that I'm obsessed with hair, so I know a lot more. But isn't much of it just common sense? Isn't it?

copperlites
January 30th, 2016, 04:48 PM
This is one of the problems of the ability we all have to self publish with no editor. I have similar issues at school with students unable to evaluate the reliability or trustworthiness of a source. If it's published, no matter where or by whom, they often treat it as fact.

neko_kawaii
January 30th, 2016, 04:58 PM
That right there is the core problem with, I think, society in general. No one has any patience. Growing your hair does not happen overnight but there will always be people who are fundamentally lazy who will pay up the big bucks for snake oil because they haven't learnt to exercise patience.

Hey now, my hair grows over night. Night after night after night after night. 2,555 nights, or thereabouts.

MeAndTheMaz
January 30th, 2016, 05:34 PM

Snake oil? She used everything but snake oil.

Robi-Bird
January 30th, 2016, 05:38 PM
Hey now, my hair grows over night. Night after night after night after night. 2,555 nights, or thereabouts.

I definitely should have phrased that as grows over many many nights. XD

Snake oil? She used everything but snake oil.

May the hair gods and PETA save us if she gets it into her head to use blank mamba oil.... Or would that be Darwinism?

czech it out
January 31st, 2016, 07:14 AM
These clickbait-y videos bother me to no end! Mostly because the majority of her viewers are going to be tweens and teens who are less likely to know better. Other pet peeves include the inversion method (already mentioned) and when people recommend conventional silicone or sulfate products as miracle products for hair growth. Oh well! What can you do?

bunneh.
January 31st, 2016, 07:20 AM
No. Not at all. Things like this seriously make me laugh. Look at how many likes the video has, so many people must think that the information is valuable. Honestly.. I don't understand how the majority of people in the world can be so ignorant about hair. Hair care. And hair growth. I know that I'm obsessed with hair, so I know a lot more. But isn't much of it just common sense? Isn't it?

A lot of things in life are common sense, but even more people don't have that...

LongCurlyTress
January 31st, 2016, 08:52 AM
Lol. I'm gonna try this BS mixture a few days, and I bet after one month or something Gossamer, JJJ and HeavenlyTresses will just look like amateurs compared to me ! :p

Hi Mimha! I am trying to contact you but your pm's are full!! Thanks! ;) Sorry for Off topic OP!! ;(

Btw, I agree that most of the hair-growing info videos are phoney. It's sad that everyone wants to have the total cure for fast hair growth so companies market their products to prey on the innocent. Alot of video makers are sponsored by these companies to make these videos.They are paid to make them pending how many "likes" they get. It's called an unsolicited testimonial.....you watch a "peer" in the infomercial talking about and loving a product" this is more convincing, allegedly--- than an actor etc. in a commercial since the viewer can relate better to a peer. Buyer beware!! :/

spidermom
January 31st, 2016, 08:58 AM
All those oils; whoever made that video must own stock in oil companies.

Arctic
January 31st, 2016, 09:28 AM

Yeah, my hair also grows over night! It grows 0,3333333 millimeters every night :D

restless
January 31st, 2016, 09:38 AM
This shall be my 2016 challenge! Just imagine; 2 inches x 365 nights = so much hair! So very, very much hair. Guys, IŽll surpass you all!

;)

Hairkay
January 31st, 2016, 10:55 AM
I just ignore all of those the claim to show significant growth results in hours or a week. I also tend to ignore those using the words fast or quickly.

WaitingSoLong
January 31st, 2016, 01:15 PM
I pretty much don't believe anything anymore.

AJNinami
January 31st, 2016, 01:23 PM
I actually found a decent one, one of the first to come up under "long hair". My guess is that people don't like the idea of many of the things talked about in it though, and want something to go faster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLDivY9ggO4

parkmikii
January 31st, 2016, 03:09 PM

Reminded me of the Patience video XD

meteor
January 31st, 2016, 03:52 PM
Reminded me of the Patience video XD

Oh yes!!! :agree: That video was amazing! :D
(If anybody is wondering about it and hasn't seen it, it's here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-ciMuVhDXA and here is discussion about the background story behind that commercial - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkRs461bMuo)

AutobotsAttack
January 31st, 2016, 05:54 PM

Lol mimha that was down right hilarious lol 👌

Colochita
January 31st, 2016, 06:10 PM
I don't read anything that says it will promise hair growth. I will even skip out on hair products that are otherwise decent that claim to promote faster growth.

Most people grow hair fine, the problem is keeping what you grow, which is totally different. :p

Hairkay
February 1st, 2016, 02:15 PM
I like this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqu_BdjxNms

laceyfairy
February 1st, 2016, 02:34 PM
How to grow your hair two inches over night:
Step 1. Braid hair to maximize braid waves. This should decrease your length by around 2 inches.
Step 2. Soak your hair in oil.
Step 3. Let Sit (over night)
Step 4. Be amazed by how the oil kinda flattened out the waves
Step 5. Wash the oil out. Now wet, your hair is two inches longer than it was by step 1

Results may not last once hair dries.

Sarahlabyrinth
February 1st, 2016, 02:51 PM
How to grow your hair two inches over night:
Step 1. Braid hair to maximize braid waves. This should decrease your length by around 2 inches.
Step 2. Soak your hair in oil.
Step 3. Let Sit (over night)
Step 4. Be amazed by how the oil kinda flattened out the waves
Step 5. Wash the oil out. Now wet, your hair is two inches longer than it was by step 1

Results may not last once hair dries.

Snort. ....Love it!