PDA

View Full Version : 2-nitro-p-phenylenediamine (ppd?) in Manic Panic?

Alacris~
January 30th, 2016, 08:59 AM
Hi everyone!

I am a bit confused at the moment. I have a ppd-allergy and manic panic claims to be ppd free. However I saw 2-nitro-p-phenylenediamine in the ingredient list (of my ultra violet colour). Does anyone know if this is a ''safe'' form of ppd then? This seems to be false advertising.

I mailed the company as well, but I don't know if I will trust their statement without someone backing it up and perhaps someone on LHC might know more about it:D

(And for people dying their hair with manic panic... does your colour also have this ingredient on the list?).

Nadine <3
January 30th, 2016, 09:26 AM
I just checked my tub of Purple Haze and that ingredient is not listed on it.

Ingredient for manic panic purple haze:
Purified Water, Cetyl Alcohol, Stearyl Alcohol, Ceteareth 20, Propylene Glycol, Aloe Vera, Citric Acid, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, C.I. 42600, C.I. 50240, C.I. 51004

I checked out the ingredients for ultra violet on Sally's website and it's not listed there either. That's really odd, I'm not sure why it would be different!

Alacris~
January 30th, 2016, 09:39 AM
Thank you for checking!:)

Maybe it is because it's the high voltage version.. Which they sadly don't have at Sally's in that colour (would be nice for the ingredient list). The other high voltage one's don't have it listed either though..

So confusing:P.

khryz
January 31st, 2016, 01:53 AM
Would you be able to do a patch test before applying it on your hair?

lapushka
January 31st, 2016, 03:57 AM
Yeah, but *is* that PPD?

meteor
January 31st, 2016, 11:04 AM
Yeah, but *is* that PPD?

2NPPD and PPD are related.

2-nitro-p-phenylenediamine - a primary amino compound that is p-phenylenediamine in which one of the hydrogens attached to the benzene ring is replaced by a nitro group. It is a cosmetic hair dye intermediate that is used in permanent hair colouring products (diluted 1:1 with an oxidising agent prior to application).
http://www.ebi.ac.uk/chebi/searchId.do?chebiId=CHEBI%3A76394

Human Toxicity Excerpts:
/HUMAN EXPOSURE STUDIES/ Thirty-nine hairdressers were patch tested for 24 hours with 2-nitro-p-phenylenediamine (2NPPD). Thirty-two of the hairdressers had no history of allergic contact dermatitis from p-phenylenediamine, and none of these 32 had a positive reaction to 2NPPD. One of seven hairdressers who had experienced strongly positive reactions to p-phenylenediamine was positive for 2NPPD. The researchers suggested that this may have been a cross reaction.
http://toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/sis/search/a?dbs+hsdb:@term+@DOCNO+4098

Alacris, I'm really sorry, but if this is listed on the box and you have an allergy to it, I really wouldn't risk it, to be perfectly honest. :( Sometimes the same product will have different ingredients listed on the website versus what's listed on the specific box you buy, but the listing on the box has prevalence, since the website might be updated to new formulations while the box sold locally may still be old and have the old formula (that's just one of the examples of discrepancies, other possible differences include products sold in different countries having different formulas despite the same name).

Do check with the company and mention your PPD allergy, of course :flower: - and email them a photo or full listing of the ingredients you see on the box - maybe it's just an old product or some problem with the listing on the box? They might even be able to replace the product? I'd definitely confirm with the company before even considering a patch test. :flower: Also, don't be afraid to ask your doctor about this, if you have any doubts about specific products.

Alacris~
January 31st, 2016, 03:08 PM
Thank you everyone for responding!:D

@khryz Well I can patch test but it is not always a conclusive way of testing:(.. (especially as my reaction was mostly swelling when a larger area is dyed). I guess I am too scared to try if it is a ppd component..

@lapushka That is exactly what I was wondering! :D.. But it sounded too much like ppd and as I did not see the ingredient listed anywhere I got confused and a bit scared:P

@meteor Thank you for your reply. That was my feeling as well. Thanks a lot for checking and responding!! It always helps to have others look at the ''problem'' as well :)! And you are right, it might be an old product, or different ingredients due to the country or something like that:) I will wait for the response of the company and take it from there:o

Alacris~
January 31st, 2016, 03:09 PM
*double post*

lapushka
January 31st, 2016, 04:21 PM
Well, after meteor's info - I would NOT use this thing! This shouldn't be in things like Manic Panic.

Alacris~
February 1st, 2016, 10:04 AM
Manic Panic's response:

"
Hi *****!

Thank you for contacting Manic Panic!
Could you possibly send us a photo of the jar to reference your findings? As this information is not accurate we would like to see where you found this information from?

Thanks so much,
"

So I guess it really shouldn't be in there...

Anje
February 1st, 2016, 10:13 AM
Manic Panic's response:

"
Hi *****!

Thank you for contacting Manic Panic!
Could you possibly send us a photo of the jar to reference your findings? As this information is not accurate we would like to see where you found this information from?

Thanks so much,
"

So I guess it really shouldn't be in there...

Huh. I wonder if you got a counterfeit jar of it somehow?

Alacris~
February 1st, 2016, 10:34 AM

Yeah, it is really weird. I bought it at a reputable company which buys directly from manic panic. At least that is what they say.

I guess I am happy I always check ingredient lists!

meteor
February 1st, 2016, 11:40 AM

That's exactly my thinking. :agree: Either that or an old formulation that they didn't pull from the market, maybe? But then, the Customer Service should be aware of that... :hmm:
That's why I suggested sending full listing. :) There should be a code on the box that you could send them and MP should be able to trace the *exact* box - maybe they'll refund you or replace the product?
Also, what's the return policy in the company where you bought your MP from?

Alacris~
February 2nd, 2016, 10:12 AM
I got another reply.

So I guess the thing that wasn't true is that there would be ppd in it.
However the ingredient I stated is a colourant so it does belong there but they state it isn't PPD.

"2-nitro-p-Phenylenediamine is actually a colorant and not in any way a form of a PPD, I attached the EU base ingredients list for you to reference. Yes, Attitude does buy from us direct and it is still completely fine and safe to use. [...] To clarify the head EU chemist advised that the full chemical name is N,N’Bis (2-Hydroxyethyl)-2-Nitro-p-Phenylenediamine which is a colorant, not a PPD. [...] None of our hair colors have PPDs in them.
For example this ingredient is comparable to Basic Blue 54, which is one of the dyes used in our USA formula of Ultra Violet and Lie Locks.
Hope this information may settle any uncertainties."

I am still confused as all of the information does not really add up (especially the information you (Meteor) found and what they state).:P

I guess it does not truly settle my confusions and thus concerns.

(For reference, my hair is yellow/orange. It was dyed red when I found out I was allergic. I switched to Elumen's red to be safe. However the red did not stick to my roots at all. For this reason I have been trying to get it back to blonde to be able to grow out my own colour less obviously, but I cannot get the yellow/orange out of my hair and don't want to keep on bleaching. So I wanted to tone my hair using manic panic).

@ Meteor: I am debating if it is perhaps safe enough to use or if I should send it back. The return policy is pretty good, although I won't get the shipping costs back. After your information I am still a bit hesitant. Irritation is fine only the big implications scare me.

MsPharaohMoan
February 2nd, 2016, 12:55 PM
Well patch test if anything!

meteor
February 2nd, 2016, 01:11 PM
^ Well, that's pretty reassuring. :D And I think if they could confirm to you that there are customers *with* PPD allergy who use this formula without any issues, that would really settle all fears about cross sensitivity. :thumbsup:

But if you still have any doubts, the problem is there aren't many studies on N,N-bis(2-hydroxyethyl)-PPD and PPD to understand cross sensitivity to both, and because they are related, it's a valid question that's raised in studies... If you want to explore this issue further, this document includes an overview of studies that have been done on both, and many of them are either inconclusive or even designed in a way that wouldn't answer all questions, unfortunately:
http://ec.europa.eu/health/ph_risk/committees/04_sccp/docs/sccp_o_065.pdf
(Those studies do show that 2NPPD is irritating though.)
Also, here is European Commission's Scientific Committee on Consumer Safety opinion on N,N’Bis (2-Hydroxyethyl)-2-Nitro-p-Phenylenediamine, with studies - again, inconclusive in many cases...
http://ec.europa.eu/health/scientific_committees/consumer_safety/docs/sccs_o_096.pdf

The SCCS is of the opinion that a conclusion on the gene mutation potential of N,N’-bis-(2-hydroxyethyl)-2-nitro-p-phenylenediamine cannot be drawn without further testing.
On the basis of the submitted data, the SCCS considers N,N’-bis(2-hydroxyethylamino)-2-nitro-pphenylenediamine not safe for use as an oxidative hair dye with a concentration on head of maximum 1.0% and as a non-oxidative hair dye with a concentration up to 1.5%.

I found specific studies can be costly to access though.

I don't know... Maybe we'll hear from chemists and also from people with PPD allergies. That would really help! :flower:

lapushka
February 2nd, 2016, 01:18 PM
I would write back stating that you have a PPD allergy but that you believe what they say and that they have now just assured you you'll be fine, and that if irritation *does* occur, they will *for sure* be hearing from you again. I'd be surprised what they'll have to say to that. :)

Alacris~
February 3rd, 2016, 03:05 PM
I really appreciate all of the advice!! And they should do some more research..would be nice:D

And yeah that is a good idea! To see if they are really sure about the statement!