PDA

View Full Version : Hairstyle for physical therapy.

Nadine <3
January 27th, 2016, 12:02 PM
I have tendonitis in my foot and my rotator cuff. I'll be going to physical therapy 2 times a week for a while and I'm having issues with my hair getting in my way and the therapist's way. First I tried a bun with a stick and it fell out twice. Then I tried switching to a bun with spin pins but then I couldn't lay down without a painful lump at the back of my head. Higher buns don't work for me with sticks or pins) Today I tried out just a braid but it kept getting stuck underneath me.

How would you keep it out of the way?? My hair is almost waist length.

sumidha
January 27th, 2016, 12:07 PM
A side braid over my shoulder so it doesn't get stuck underneath me, or maybe Loepsie's laced braids?

Nadine <3
January 27th, 2016, 12:13 PM
A side braid over my shoulder so it doesn't get stuck underneath me, or maybe Loepsie's laced braids?

Do you have a link for the lace braid? I can try the side braid!

lapushka
January 27th, 2016, 12:22 PM
2 French or Dutch braids, and you could make tiny buns with spin pins at the bottom/side so when you lay down it doesn't get in the way.

school of fish
January 27th, 2016, 12:41 PM
How about a french pinless bun, but held with spin pins instead of the single stick?

Hope this link works...

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=86621

sumidha
January 27th, 2016, 12:43 PM
Do you have a link for the lace braid? I can try the side braid!

Here's the Hairstyle of the Month post for it: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=131436

Also, what about just doing a super high bun on the top of your head?

Nique1202
January 27th, 2016, 12:47 PM
Would Heidi braids work for all the positions you have to put your head down?

spidermom
January 27th, 2016, 12:51 PM
With rotator cuff issues, I'd go with a side braid or even segmented ponytail. It would be easy to do and to keep from under me.

lapushka
January 27th, 2016, 01:48 PM
Or milkmaid braids!

Laurenji
January 27th, 2016, 02:50 PM
So, with the tendonitis in your rotator cuff, does that mean you have a hard time holding your hands up in the air to do things like french/dutch braids? If not, I would recommend a crown braid if you can manage one.

If not, milkmaid braids, a side braid, or two low buns all seem like good solutions.

Nadine <3
January 27th, 2016, 03:31 PM
Here's the Hairstyle of the Month post for it: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=131436

Also, what about just doing a super high bun on the top of your head?
Thank you! I will take a look at that. Super high buns used to work well for me with a donut, but my hair has gotten longer and heavier and they tend to pull now. I'm really tender headed, so they won't work unless I do it with a hair tie or the silk scrunchies I sleep in. Those look ridiculous though lol

Would Heidi braids work for all the positions you have to put your head down?
I think they would. The last time I tried them my hair wasn't quite long enough, but that was a long while ago. I'll give them another try!

With rotator cuff issues, I'd go with a side braid or even segmented ponytail. It would be easy to do and to keep from under me.
Can I ask what a segmented ponytail is?

So, with the tendonitis in your rotator cuff, does that mean you have a hard time holding your hands up in the air to do things like french/dutch braids? If not, I would recommend a crown braid if you can manage one.

If not, milkmaid braids, a side braid, or two low buns all seem like good solutions.

It does hurt if I take to long to do them. I can manage a single french or dutch braid, double braids are do-able if my hair is cooperating. If it's not wanting to separate my shoulder does give out before I can get it all braided. I have to do it on mega dirty hair too, or it won't stay lol

Thank you all for the ideas! I'll try doing some of these when I work on my at home exercises to test them out. If all else fails I'll walk in with my hair in my funky bright red silk scrunchie..I have no shame haha

Nique1202
January 27th, 2016, 04:00 PM
I think they would. The last time I tried them my hair wasn't quite long enough, but that was a long while ago. I'll give them another try!

You can always make them a little higher on your head. I used to start mine right above my ears when my hair was shorter, and as my hair got longer I'd just slowly shift the starting point down and back. As long as you don't have a tail hanging lower than the base on the other side, it'll look great.

Braid Girl
January 28th, 2016, 01:58 AM
2 Dutch braids. Keep them over your shoulders and they will stay out of the way (hopefully)!

Zwaluw
January 28th, 2016, 03:12 AM
I second the crownbraid if it's doable for you.

It's absolutely out of the way and the weight is evenly dispersed which is really pleasant. Madora her faux crownbraid method might be easier on your hands than an actual crownbraid.

sumidha
January 28th, 2016, 04:11 PM
Eh, honestly I'd just put it up in a high scrunchie bun just for the appointment, I guarantee the PTs aren't going to care if your hair looks funny, as long as it's out of the way. On the other hand, if you can do braids without hurting yourself, go for it (I'm a super slow braider and can't imagine doing a crown braid with an injured shoulder).

Wavelength
January 28th, 2016, 05:04 PM
I used to visit both a chiropractor and a PT regularly for several months after I injured my back. I developed a weird sort of low bun for those visits. It sat low at the nape of my neck and it didn't pull on my scalp. I haven't tried describing it before because I'm not sure I can do it justice, but I'll do my best. It's probably a variation on a nautilus or something, but it seems to hold well without having to use sticks or pins. I've also had rotator cuff injuries before and this is one of the few buns I can manage when that happens.

Basically, you make a low bee-butt bun, but you keep the first loop a little bit loose. (I wrap the first loop around my finger to keep it more open.) Then after the rest of the tail is tucked underneath, take a scrunchie and wrap it tightly around the base to keep the bun in place. Once that's done, go back to the first loop of the bun and with your fingers, spread out the loop wide enough so that the rest of the bun can be pushed through the loop with your thumbs. If you've done it correctly, the scrunchie will be seen on the inside of the bun (if that makes sense).

It might feel a bit loose, but I've never had it actually fall out, and it tends to tuck itself into your neck when you're lying down which isn't nearly as uncomfortable as some other buns. If it gets a bit messy then it's very easy to re-do later.

spidermom
January 28th, 2016, 06:54 PM
A segmented ponytail is when you make the ponytail with one hair tie, then go down about an inch or two and put in another hair tie, and continue down with as many hair ties as you feel will keep your hair contained. I've also heard this style called a caterpillar.