PDA

View Full Version : How often do you use a leave-in conditioner

elsieivy
January 27th, 2016, 07:31 AM
I always put a leave-in in my hair after I wash it and while the hair is still damp. I only wash my hair about once a week though so I only use a leave-in once a week as well. Lately I've been wondering if using a leave-in on a daily basis might be helpful since my hair sometimes seems a bit dry. I don't want to end up with greasy hair that has to be washed more often though. (When I used coconut oil on a daily basis I had to wash my hair every other day.) I know I'm just going to have to try for myself and see what works but I was wondering what works for other people. Daily? Only after washes? Other? Also does the type of leave-in matter do you think? Thanks!

khryz
January 27th, 2016, 08:17 AM
I wash every 2-3 days, and use camellia oil as a leave in. I apply it again when my ends feel dry between washes. I tried coconut oil too, but felt it was too oily for me. I had to apply very little of it, but even so it sometimes left my ends crunchy. The smell of coconut oil was also something I had trouble with, and using lavender EO didn't help much.

We seem to have the same hair type so you may want to give camellia oil a try. It feels very light, doesn't have a strong smell, and can also be used on your face. I also tried argan oil which worked okay for me, but only if my hair was damp. I couldn't seem to get it to work on dry hair. I also tried commercial brands of leave in, but again they seemed to work only on damp hair.

lapushka
January 27th, 2016, 09:27 AM
I use the full-on LOC method (see signature) on my hair when it's damp. I also am a weekly washer. You use a tiny bit of leave-in, then a serum or an oil (tiiiny bit) and a cream or gel for hold (but that's not necessary, is more for wavies, curlies).

I also sometimes use the rinse-out oil method (also see signature). You use about 5 to 10 drops of an oil and put it on your ends in wrung out hair after shampoo. Then you rinse that out. Then you apply your conditioner, and rinse that out. It helps combat dry ends.

Kake
January 27th, 2016, 11:33 AM
I use regular conditioner and oil mixed together as my leave-in. I haven't been here long enough to have healthy hair just yet, and it is not too much for my hair, although I guess it might be in the future.

Lapushka, the rinse-out oil method sounds very interesting. I'll definitely give it a go. Thanks for sharing the info.

Arctic
January 27th, 2016, 12:12 PM
I am an almost daily washer, and use leave-in always after wash, on sopping wet hair. Sometimes I add more to dry hair, and sometimes I might moisten my hair a bit with water and then add leave-in.

Basically daily or almost daily.

Groovy Granny
January 27th, 2016, 12:52 PM
I stopped my shea moisture leave in last Summer when it stained my silver/white hair.

Since then, I was using mineral oil on damp hair ....and dry as needed.

This I have had major static and decided to try CO (shampoo and rinsing the 2nd application)....I LOVE IT ....and need no leave ins :joy:

Maybe CO is the way to go for you too?

The CO (conditioner only) washing thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=2898)

mermaid lullaby
January 28th, 2016, 12:51 PM
I defiantly use leave in conditioner after I shower. I may shower twice a week, but if I feel like my hair is stiff from being so dry. I will mist my hair with water, and add some leave in conditioner. I like to put 2 drops of coconut oil rub it in my hands and add it on top of the leave in conditioner in my hair to help seal the moisture in. I think, if you really need moisture in your hair you can use leave in conditioner and oil twice a day. Always use the two week rule to see improvement. If you observe your hair, it will tell you if you need to back off or you need more. If it has slip and feels soft then you can back off until you need leave in conditioner occasionally.

FallingDarkness
January 28th, 2016, 01:36 PM
I normally use a leave-in every time I wash my hair, which is about every 5 days. It's normally on my freshly towel-dried hair, so in other words, my hair isn't dry at all :P

Mirabele
January 29th, 2016, 12:54 AM
I found out that i love light oils with no smell as my leave-ins. I use few drops of camelia or jojoba or a drop of argan oil In my ends every day. Argan has some smell but it dissapears quickly. Sometimes i use walnut or avocado oils, they have some smell but a drop is light enough for my fine hair and it doesn't get greasy.
My length has bleach and heat damage so i have to use leave in often otherwise my hair would be very dry esp at the ends.
I am pretty new here, been here about 6 month, so i am not an expert, but everything i learned here and tried made aleeady a visible improvement on how my hair look and feels.

elsieivy
January 29th, 2016, 01:44 PM
Thanks so much! Now I have lots of good stuff to try if just using my regular leave in more often doesn't work!