PDA

View Full Version : What type of Winter hat is best for hair?

TaraDanina
January 26th, 2016, 12:31 PM
I usually just wear cheap beanies in Winter, but this year they seem to be irritating the skin on my forehead. A customer just gave me a lovely wool knot patterned hat with ear flaps that I like, but I'm not sure if wool is so good for hair...

Oh, wise hair ones, what should I do? Maybe wrap it in a silk scarf before the beanie?Is there a warm fabric that is less abrasive? I'm in NYC so the temperature and air pollution definitely merits a hat.
I can't wait for Spring...

PristineAllure
January 26th, 2016, 12:32 PM
I usually cover my hair with a silk scarf, and then I wear any hat that I feel like, regardless of the material.

Arctic
January 26th, 2016, 01:08 PM
I wear wool hats with no problems, I think much depends on the hairtype, climate, the sensitivity of the skin.

My most hair friendly hat is a big slouchy hat, it's self made from a free pattern called Wurm. I can fit bun and even fork in there, or if I wear my hair loose, I can use it as a snood. The hat is wool, but since it's so loose fitting, it doesn't have any negative effects on my hair or skin (but I've seen people avoiding wool for both hair's and skin's sake, so YMMV). You could knit the Wurm hat from any type of yarn you'd like, even silk-wool mix.

But many people do feel they need silk or silky material between their hat and hair. If you have a scarf or something at hand, you could try it. I have also seen lined wool beanies and slouchy hats, which have the benefit of being double layered, and so warmer than single layer would be.

Groovy Granny
January 26th, 2016, 01:14 PM
I use hooded coats, but when snowshoeing or hiking I throw on one I crocheted
http://s40.photobucket.com/user/grichardocds/media/Ravelry/hat_zpsr60hw6sr.jpg.html?sort=3&o=16
I wear a low LWB with a ficcare with it; this is light but the flaps keep my ears warm without restricting my hair like a tight hat, and the weight of the braids keeps the ear flaps in place.

Christine_O
January 26th, 2016, 01:35 PM
I don't wear wool hats because they irritate my forehead. I don't think they do anything to my hair though. I generally wear wool acryllic blends, or fleece lined knits.

Seeshami
January 26th, 2016, 01:44 PM
I only wear sneeds now from etsy store AJenOfAllTrades.

Not because she is my best friend but because she understands the importance of a cozy and just how freakin huge my hair is.

meteor
January 26th, 2016, 02:31 PM
One can line winter hat with smooth material, like silk, e.g.: http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.ca/2011/12/lining-winter-hats.html

Personally, I wear hoods, because I don't have any hats big enough to fit the updos. I just put a silky scarf on top of hair, under a warm scarf to prevent frizzing and tangling from wool/flannel, etc. This does the trick! ;)

lapis_lazuli
January 26th, 2016, 02:38 PM
My favourite hat is some kind of acrylic/wool hybrid. I will wear it, no problem. I don't see it doing damage :)

Nique1202
January 26th, 2016, 02:48 PM
I think one thing that's important to keep in mind is that a sheep's or any other animal's wool isn't all that much different from your hair. It's not going to be damaging in and of itself any more than the process of your hair moving against itself, but it can on some hair types cause snarls or static or other unpleasantness. Then again, some people have no problems at all with any kind of hat. (Also, some people are allergic to lanolin, basically sheep's sebum, and may have an allergic reaction to hats made out of wool where they touch the skin and scalp. If you've never owned real wool garments before you may want to test your reaction before committing, or stick to acrylic knits as they're non-allergenic.)

Really though, the most important thing is just to have a hat big enough to hold what you want it to, and that won't irritate you (figuratively or literally) but will still keep your ears warm. If it looks nice that's a bonus, but frostbite is significantly not cute in the long term. If you're wearing braids, that's not such a big deal, wear what you like, but as some have pointed out above it can be tricky to find a hat to fit a bun inside.

Kimberly
January 26th, 2016, 03:37 PM
During the winter I wear old-fashioned hats like a fedora or a cloche, as well as a big wool cap with a short brim. These work best with a low bun or braids. If I want to wear a high bun in the wintertime, I wear my big wool cape with the built-in scarf, which is made for pulling up and wearing over the head. This summer I plan to get a low-crowned straw, so I can experiment with hat-pinning it atop a higher bun than I can wear with my current straw. If that works, it's going to open up all kinds of great hat possibilities!

Edit: forgot to mention that hats like the fedora and cloche rest on their internal bands, which are hair friendly, while the cap has a satin lining!

parkmikii
January 26th, 2016, 10:00 PM
I have a white hat from synthetic material. On the inside it's lined with satin. But as I almost always wear my hair up to protect it from zippers and backpack straps, I don't really wear the hat too much.. I don't like how I look with all hair tied back and a hat over it.

chen bao jun
January 27th, 2016, 09:32 AM
Satin sleep cap worn under hat of any kind.
There are also those calorimetry things.

languagenut
January 27th, 2016, 11:16 AM
I usually wear a cheap acrylic knit hat, with my hair down or braided. I can't honestly say it does good things for my hair, though. If I were to go out in winter with a bun, I'd probably wear earmuffs. But then, there's a reason I don't go out in winter with a bun, at least not if I'm going to be outside for an extended period of time.

Hairkay
January 27th, 2016, 11:25 AM
I'm not a fan of hats but I have worn a few in the winter, beanies. I'd go for acrylic because of allergies to wool and other animal based yarns. I like cotton because it's natural and cool unfortunately it's also a bit too rough on my hair. That problem is easily solved by lining the hats with something satin like. I'd love to use silk but that'd get ruined very quickly with oils from hair and the creams that I use. I also use a lot of hooded tops/jackets in winter to avoid using a hat. I've planned to line them since I've been getting lint sticking to my hair from them.

hairandtherian
January 27th, 2016, 08:23 PM
I'm glad this question was posted, I've had a bunch of questions about winter hairdos and hats and some have been answered.

It's nice to see that there are hats that can fit over a lot of hair. When I wear braids sticking out of hats they always get frazzled and felted against the neck of my coat or against my scarf. I'm still thinking that if I want to wear a bun and have it look decent after I take off a hat, the hat might need to be something like an enormous beret with the bottom elastic being what holds it on!

LillithTheFirst
January 28th, 2016, 01:32 AM
Look into "the SLAP" satin-lined cap. Its like a beanie - cotton on the outside and satin lining. Use if for sleeping in and out in summer to protect the hair, keep the moisture and stop it frizzing.

lajsa
January 28th, 2016, 04:31 AM
It's been some freezing times here this past month (up to -30C in some places!), so I've mostly used my warmest hat. Namely, a beanie (? not so good with clothing lingo in English) with fleece lining on the inside. Very warm. Unfortunately it's also a bit tight, so I've been very limited in my choice of hairstyles for cold days. I'm getting kind of bored of the no-nonsense braid that happens to be the only one that will fit, haha. And even then it gets sort of smushed against my jacket collar and such, so it's still not ideal. Problem is that when ten minutes outside without a proper hat makes your ears fall off, there's not much of a choice when it comes to being nice to your hair. :/

It's getting warmer, though, so I'll dump the hat as soon as I can!

Kimberly
January 28th, 2016, 03:21 PM
I'm glad this question was posted, I've had a bunch of questions about winter hairdos and hats and some have been answered.

It's nice to see that there are hats that can fit over a lot of hair. When I wear braids sticking out of hats they always get frazzled and felted against the neck of my coat or against my scarf. I'm still thinking that if I want to wear a bun and have it look decent after I take off a hat, the hat might need to be something like an enormous beret with the bottom elastic being what holds it on!

Might be able to avoid the felting by switching to a different scarf. I had to give up my beautiful cashmere scarf and switch to a smoother acrylic one that doesn't seem to bother my hair so much.

TaraDanina
January 29th, 2016, 04:01 PM
Thank you all so much for your suggestions! I think I'm going to look into the satin lined cap...
My hair is on the finer side, and only BSL, so it fits under most hats in a bun.

Alun
January 29th, 2016, 08:55 PM
I've been thinking I ought to get a fedora, maybe. I don't like hoods, think umbrellas a bit of a bother, and hats without a brim all the way around do nothing to keep rain and snow off if you actually have hair worth speaking of. I wonder what other styles have a brim, and what people think might look nice.

Of course, you can see my piccie, but think guy with beard and waist length hair.

One thing that I wonder is if I wear a hat people might assume that I'm bald on top, even though I'm not.

ETA: I like the idea of a top hat, but doubt if I could wear one too many places without people thinking it was some kind of joke!

neko_kawaii
January 29th, 2016, 09:05 PM
Do it Alun! I love my fedora.

Quixii
January 29th, 2016, 09:06 PM
I'll just go ahead and throw out a suggestion for bun hats. :D
http://images4-b.ravelrycache.com/uploads/Quixii/338482404/bun_hat_small_best_fit.jpg

dfotw
January 29th, 2016, 09:10 PM
Back when I lived in colder climates, I had a longhair-special fleece hat made by a fellow longhair. It was soft enough that I didn't get any frizz or breakage, big enough that I could fit any combination bun/hair-toy into it without looking like Professor Quirrel, and pretty stylish!

Hang on, let me see if I can hunt a link... it's been years.

Ha, found it! https://www.etsy.com/transaction/38100726

IIRC the seller also offered to line it in satin for extra protection, but I preferred the fleece alone. I loved that hat, I'm pretty sad I don't live somewhere where I can wear it now. HTH!