PDA

View Full Version : How to cover my hair?

marina_v
January 26th, 2016, 12:42 AM
I'm a new mom and what I didn't know about babies is that they really like grabbing and yanking your hair! It huuurts!! Its just an instinct to grab everything that comes into contact with their hands and he certainly doesn't mean any harm, but sometimes i just want to get my kitchen scissors and cut my pony tail off...
Any ideas how its best to keep my hair away from his little hands? Possibly cover it with a headscarf? I dont know how to tie one tho... I tried googling, but came back with a million of fancy but useless styles. What I need is a quick way to tuck all my hair in and something that will stay put. Any ideas? Thanks

Sarahlabyrinth
January 26th, 2016, 12:56 AM
No ideas from me, but congratulations on your little one and welcome to the LHC. Someone will have a good answer for you :)

butterflybutton
January 26th, 2016, 03:25 AM
Congrats on your new baby!

Hehe, I did the cutting off my ponytail when my daughter was a baby. But if I was clever enough to think of a head scarf, these are some of my favourite ways I've seen.

http://www.popsugar.com.au/beauty/7-Ways-Tie-Head-Scarf-28121882

ummyahya
January 26th, 2016, 03:58 AM
Congrats on the baby!
I always keep my hair in a bun and I wear a bonnet cap like this:
https://www.muslimbase.com/images/products_large_images/bonnet-cap-tie-back-black-plain006647.jpg

It's super easy, breathable, and the baby can't yank everything off!

Nini
January 26th, 2016, 04:38 AM
Look into getting a Buff, they're very versatile :D

lapushka
January 26th, 2016, 06:08 AM
Get into bunning the hair. I don't know how long/thick your hair is and if it's long enough for that yet. There are so many buns and tutorials on YT.

Anje
January 26th, 2016, 08:01 AM
Bun and bandanna might work. I'd get a buff or a point scrub hat, though. Those will contain a little more and keep slimy baby fists out of the wispy hairs at the edges.

enting
January 26th, 2016, 09:09 AM
I'd go with a bandanna or a buff for something quick and easy. If you want all your hair covered with a scarf, you can use a larger square scarf tied on the same way as a bandanna. You can tie it with the back tip of the triangle left out or tucked under the knot, or you can tie the sides over the back tip. Those are pretty much the simplest ways to tie a headscarf. I often overlap the side pieces rather than tying them, and then I wrap them all the way back to the top of my head and tuck them into each other or tie them on top. The overlap at the nape rather than a knot helps prevent headaches.

Gaalsong
January 26th, 2016, 09:23 AM
It would look silly, but it would keep your hair super protected. What about a satin cap? I have one and it's so silky, sometimes I wear it around the house even though it looks ridiculous.

Also, when I was breastfeeding my daughter I looked into these safe bead necklaces that you can wear around your neck when you're holding/nursing the baby. They are for the baby to grab onto and play with so they don't grab your hair or pinch you. Might want to give those a try.

parkmikii
January 26th, 2016, 10:36 AM
It would look silly, but it would keep your hair super protected. What about a satin cap? I have one and it's so silky, sometimes I wear it around the house even though it looks ridiculous.

Also, when I was breastfeeding my daughter I looked into these safe bead necklaces that you can wear around your neck when you're holding/nursing the baby. They are for the baby to grab onto and play with so they don't grab your hair or pinch you. Might want to give those a try.

Seconding a satin or silk cap indoors. I sleep with it and the hair is in pretty good shape :)

jt623
January 26th, 2016, 10:57 AM
A classic French braid is a nice way to keep your hair out of the way.

marina_v
January 26th, 2016, 08:06 PM
Thanks ladies! My hair is almost to my waist, its pretty heavy too so any high style like a bun gets pulled down fairly quickly. I usually wear a low pony tail.
Looks like scrap hat or a satin cap would do the job:) Ill try to find one
Still not sure how to hide all the hair under a headscarf

marina_v
January 26th, 2016, 08:12 PM
I'd go with a bandanna or a buff for something quick and easy. If you want all your hair covered with a scarf, you can use a larger square scarf tied on the same way as a bandanna. You can tie it with the back tip of the triangle left out or tucked under the knot, or you can tie the sides over the back tip. Those are pretty much the simplest ways to tie a headscarf. I often overlap the side pieces rather than tying them, and then I wrap them all the way back to the top of my head and tuck them into each other or tie them on top. The overlap at the nape rather than a knot helps prevent headaches.

How do you tuck the bulk of the hair in? Do you to tie it first?

enting
January 27th, 2016, 03:40 PM
I usually bun my hair or tie it back in some way before putting the scarf or bandanna on, but you can use any style you like. I've covered pinned buns, hairstick buns, crown braids, coronet braids... If you use a short hairstick that isn't sharp, you can even tie the scarf right over the hairstick. It depends how long your hair is. If it's pretty short, you can put on the covering first, and then tuck your hair in. The longer it is the more it will need to be secured in some style before being covered, or else the weight of your hair might drag the cover off! Some snoods do just fine with loose hair in them, though. I'm not sure how, they must be pinned on somewhere to be able to hold the hair in.

ETA: Since you usually wear a low ponytail, you can put the buff or scarf around your head after ponytailing, and then tuck the ponytail up while tucking the back of the buff or scarf under. You may need to face the floor or flip your head upside down to get your ponytail to stay up while you secure the cover. The weight of your hair may make it come undone, but not necessarily. If it does, a twisted and doubled up ponytail might possibly stay in better.

Nadine <3
January 27th, 2016, 03:47 PM
When I was a camp counselor I did a bun with a bandana. Works to prevent sunburn and little hands getting tangled in my hair!

mindwiped
January 31st, 2016, 12:32 AM
Seconding a satin or silk cap indoors. I sleep with it and the hair is in pretty good shape :)

How do you tuck the bulk of the hair in? Do you to tie it first?

I would do a simple, I think it's a disc bun, one where you just wrap the hair around itself in a spiral. I've it was together, I tuck it in the bandana, without using anything to hold it and tie the bandana shut. Once it's tied it can come loose and stay inside for me

meteor
January 31st, 2016, 12:59 PM
Thanks ladies! My hair is almost to my waist, its pretty heavy too so any high style like a bun gets pulled down fairly quickly. I usually wear a low pony tail.
Looks like scrap hat or a satin cap would do the job:) Ill try to find one
Still not sure how to hide all the hair under a headscarf

Congratulations on the newborn baby, marina_v! :joy:

There are already excellent ideas posted on this thread. I definitely second sleep caps/buffs/bonnets... And you can use any silky scarf you may already have on hand - your hair will really thank you for the extra protection. :thumbsup: Silk material and satin weave are preferred, but anything silky smooth that doesn't catch on hair and doesn't cause static should do the trick! ;)
And I'd really focus on learning a bun or two to contain and hide the hair underneath. Some buns are more comfortable than others on the scalp, it's very YMMV, so try a few different styles to see what works best for you. ;) Check out the Disc Bun or the Lazy Wrap Bun (tutorial for both styles: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h37ORDkKm0E) or the Gibraltar Bun (which is the same as Lazy Wrap Bun but twisted and it holds a bit more securely - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxDRAEkbpV4). If that doesn't work, try just twisting your hair around the ponytail base and pinning it with spin-pins or U-pins - that's a standard Cinnamon Bun. Or check out other simple buns: the Knot Bun (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiGTXkUhFKE) or the Chinese Bun (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUT3KJgASac).

And if you know how to braid hair, you can easily fold or wrap your braid around its base and pin it. Braided buns are compact and more secure than their un-braided cousins, IMHO. ;)

ETA: Oops, sorry, I just realized that a bun pulls in your case... :oops: Have you tried Folded Braid or Braided Tuck or double/triple/multiple buns? Either side by side or stacked on top of each other vertically - whatever feels more comfortable on the scalp. :flower: They section hair around the scalp and distribute the weight a lot more than a single bun would. Also, you could try a sectioned bun for making the updo lighter, for example done this way (by torrinpaige): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZvXrEOfJ4w

sumidha
January 31st, 2016, 02:20 PM
Here's a ton of ways (with instructions!) to wear a scarf over your hair: http://www.tznius.com/cgi-bin/tying.pl

meteor
January 31st, 2016, 02:33 PM
Here's a ton of ways (with instructions!) to wear a scarf over your hair: http://www.tznius.com/cgi-bin/tying.pl

That's pretty cool! :D Thanks so much for sharing, sumidha! :flowers: I can see that with some bigger scarves and longer scarf-wrapping styles (the "Braid", the "Ponytail", the "Rapunzel"...), one may not need to contain hair much beyond a simple pony or a braid or something, so the bunning may not even be needed - great for sensitive scalps, I think. :thumbsup:

sumidha
January 31st, 2016, 08:18 PM
You're welcome! :)

I'm a big fan of scarf wearing, in the winter it can be easier than trying to fit a hat over your bun, and the rest of the year I use them to protect my hair when doing dirty or hair dangerous activities.

AutobotsAttack
January 31st, 2016, 11:04 PM
you can always do a bun like many others have said, and even just tying a bandana, or nice hair scarf over your hair when close to your little one so that he doesnt yank and tug on your hair.

hinabelle
February 1st, 2016, 08:11 AM
I'm also interested in covering my hair, be it from the elements or if I'm just having a bad hair day.
Awaiting more posts containing tutorials and ideas! :cheer:

spidermom
February 1st, 2016, 08:20 AM
My babies were hair grabbers, too. I could cope during the day, but when I had to get up with baby at night all these hairs would be straggling down. I ended up cutting short-short.

enting
February 3rd, 2016, 04:45 PM
There are actually lots and lots of tutorials on youtube. Wrapunzel is a good resource, and there are many other videos as well. Just search for headwraps or headscarves or tichels and look at related links. If anyone wants me to find some basic links and paste them here, let me know.