PDA

View Full Version : Shaved head question.

Jeno86
January 25th, 2016, 10:42 PM
I've a question for those that have or had shaved heads or a portion shaved. How was it to grow it back? I've been giving a lot of thought to shaving a portion of my head but the only thing keeping me from doing it is the idea of how annoying it must be to grow it back. The shortest my hair has ever been is chin length, so shaving is totally new to me. If I could get other's opinions/experiences, that would be amazing. Thank you.

gthlvrmx
January 25th, 2016, 11:00 PM
How was it to grow it back? For me, it's boring and not fun, the styles I can do are limited and I missed wearing hairsticks. I still can't do my regular bun on top of my head because some hairs fall out and I miss doing that. I can finally wear hairsticks now after 2 years since shaving to bald, but only on certain styles ( which I know, not everyone can do every single bun with their hair, some people's hair doesn't agree with more length and thickness).

Maybe it'd be better for you if you shaved only a portion of your head and not all of it.

Jeno86
January 25th, 2016, 11:13 PM
Yeah I was thinking about doing the sides. I'd still be able to put it up, but should I change my mind, growing patches seems like it would be odd.

Christine_O
January 25th, 2016, 11:25 PM
I shaved my whole head, and not because I wanted to. It's taken me 10 years to decide I wanted to go long again. It is/has been frustrating. Based on what I have seen of my son's hair cut choices, I suspect you would end up cutting the whole thing very short and start over if you wanted to get back to long.

Groovy Granny
January 26th, 2016, 10:51 AM
I've never done that, but have noticed a waitress that has one side shaved from temple to behind her ear.

All her styles are pulled to the other side,which IMHO would be stressful on her hair, and must be very limiting :shrug:

All I have seen are her side ponies and braids.
Not sure how an updo would work.

Don't get me wrong...she rocks it (has some bright colors too) and we have chatted about LHC.

Just my thoughts when I saw your post; her situation came to mind....vs having my full head of hair :)

Think long...and hard :thumbsup:

lapis_lazuli
January 26th, 2016, 11:31 AM
Well, during the regrowth process, you could always flip a portion of your hair over the shaved area. It hides it pretty well :) I had a friend who did this.

Groovy Granny
January 26th, 2016, 11:57 AM
Well, during the regrowth process, you could always flip a portion of your hair over the shaved area. It hides it pretty well :) I had a friend who did this.

Now that's true....and probably what she does for other styles :doh: duh GG lol

lapis_lazuli
January 26th, 2016, 12:39 PM
Now that's true....and probably what she does for other styles :doh: duh GG lol

Hehe yeah, it's really not that hard to hide :) which is good if you regret/want to grow it out, OP

Groovy Granny
January 26th, 2016, 12:41 PM
Hehe yeah, it's really not that hard to hide :) which is good if you regret/want to grow it out, OP

It is easy to forget ....and hard to imagine, when the focus is on the shaved part :wink:

Nique1202
January 26th, 2016, 02:17 PM

I have a friend who's doing this right now. She had, well, it wasn't quite a mohawk, but both sides of her head were fairly deeply shaved. She just parts her hair somewhere near the middle and lets her curls (which are nearly shoulder length) down to hide the new growth. Eventually she'll end up trimming up the length to match the shaved areas, but it's very hard to tell in the mean time.

You can maybe test it first, though. If you can make a little french or dutch braid just with the section you want to shave (or slick it back with water or gel or something) then part your hair down to the sides and see how much of the "shaved" section is hidden. If you can't see the hair you've slicked back, then you can hide your shaved section whenever you need to.

Jeno86
January 26th, 2016, 09:33 PM
I wanted to thank you all for responding. It's definitely given me something to think about. I know I have be sure it's what I really want to do and not rush to my razor :p I may also play with Photoshop a bit, make sure it will actually look good! Thank you all again.