PDA

View Full Version : need a little henna reassurance!

paprikapapaya
October 13th, 2008, 08:39 AM
I need a little reassurance here from some fellow hennaheads!

Okay, a bit of a back story. I used to do a two-step indigo and henna treatment and had jet black hair with these treatments. Being so fair, I quickly realized that I didn't like it on me (not without a little sunless tanner, anyway) and after a few attempts to remove the black (quite unsuccessfully, I might add), I have recently chopped off all my hair to pixie length. I still have some of the black on my tips. Of the 3 inches of length I have, about half is still indigoed because I just couldn't bear to buzz my head.

I hennaed my hair last night, and it's ORANGE! I left a batch of Rajasthani on for 4 hours and it turned my naturally mousy light brown hair roots VERY bright copper. With black tips. Um, yeah, it's kinda nasty. I know rationally speaking this will oxidize and tone down....how many days can I expect it to take to fully oxidize? Anyone else out there have light brown hair who uses 100% henna and achieves a nice colour? :)

Euphony
October 13th, 2008, 08:52 AM
It'll take about 3 days to oxidize. Mine is relatively a light brown, the roots are a milk chocolate brown while the length bleached badly in the sun to a dark golden blonde.

This was right before my first henna
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=580&pictureid=10303

This was taken about a week ago
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=580&pictureid=22502

hennabrain
October 13th, 2008, 08:56 AM
I need a little reassurance here from some fellow hennaheads!

Okay, a bit of a back story. I used to do a two-step indigo and henna treatment and had jet black hair with these treatments. Being so fair, I quickly realized that I didn't like it on me (not without a little sunless tanner, anyway) and after a few attempts to remove the black (quite unsuccessfully, I might add), I have recently chopped off all my hair to pixie length. I still have some of the black on my tips. Of the 3 inches of length I have, about half is still indigoed because I just couldn't bear to buzz my head.

I hennaed my hair last night, and it's ORANGE! I left a batch of Rajasthani on for 4 hours and it turned my naturally mousy light brown hair roots VERY bright copper. With black tips. Um, yeah, it's kinda nasty. I know rationally speaking this will oxidize and tone down....how many days can I expect it to take to fully oxidize? Anyone else out there have light brown hair who uses 100% henna and achieves a nice colour? :)

My hair is naturally dark ash blond with some honey blond and some light ash brown. I have been using 100% henna for 2 years. It gives me an auburn shade about 2 shades darker than my natural level. The color varies drastically depending on the lighting conditions, ranging from a very pretty coppery auburn to purplish brown to a color I can't describe too well ... in direct sunlight, from certain angles, it's sort of brown with purple and bright orange highlights. The truth is, I only really love it in my bathroom mirror, at home. I often think it looks a little odd on me, out in the sun. Lots of other people like it, though. :)

Good luck with your new red color!

ETA: It can take anywhere from 48 hours to over a week for the color to oxidise completely, but usually you'll see your final color in 3-5 days.

paprikapapaya
October 13th, 2008, 10:49 AM
That colour is awesome, Euphony! I'd be very happy if mine settled down to look like that. I've got the "henna glow" right now around my hairline, too, and I'm sure that's adding to the whole effect of being SUPER orange right now.

I sooo know what you mean about it looking different in certain lighting, hennabrain. Certain lighting, I'm like, "yeah! I could get used to this!" and then in harsh sunlight I feel a bit freaky with it being SO bright, haha.

hennabrain
October 13th, 2008, 12:13 PM
That colour is awesome, Euphony! I'd be very happy if mine settled down to look like that. I've got the "henna glow" right now around my hairline, too, and I'm sure that's adding to the whole effect of being SUPER orange right now.

I sooo know what you mean about it looking different in certain lighting, hennabrain. Certain lighting, I'm like, "yeah! I could get used to this!" and then in harsh sunlight I feel a bit freaky with it being SO bright, haha.

That initial orange can be scary, yes. But I don't think you need to worry about the bozo brilliance; it will most likely oxidise to a darker, more natural-looking auburn color in a few days. After oxidising, though, you may still see strands lighting up in the sun, here and there, with a sort of electric brilliant red or orange color. The part that bothers me is that my overall color, in direct sun, looks sort of dark red and purplish-brown in places, with bits of electric red and bright orange highlights dancing around in the dark color. It's a strange effect, I think. But the original orange-soda orange definitely does go away.

In most kinds of light, my hair looks nice. Not too unnatural, just a bit too dark for me and more of a brownish-red-auburn than I wanted. I just wish it could be that beautiful copper I see in my mirror at home, all the time! Maybe if I carry a special light around with me and hold it over my head ... :rolleyes:

burns_erin
October 13th, 2008, 12:24 PM
It should, be fine, and once it oxidises I'll bet the red with the black ends looks very chic. people pay lots of money around here for that look. And even if you do not like it when it oxidises, you can always do another henna to darken things up, or even switch henna's. Some of us have drastically different results between brands/areas. Also, alot of people have had luck with buxus to go browner instead of black. So even if you do not love it right this minute, you still have options.

Euphony
October 13th, 2008, 12:30 PM
It should, be fine, and once it oxidises I'll bet the red with the black ends looks very chic. people pay lots of money around here for that look. And even if you do not like it when it oxidises, you can always do another henna to darken things up, or even switch henna's. Some of us have drastically different results between brands/areas. Also, alot of people have had luck with buxus to go browner instead of black. So even if you do not love it right this minute, you still have options.
I totally agree on this! I use Jamilla and it had been too light, I look better with darker hair. But I get the Jamilla for $1.99 for 100 grams at my local Indian grocer so I didn't want to switch, have to pay more and pay shipping on top, I've been adding amla. It helps it become darker, not as dark as it could be with another henna probably - but for the price, and convenience it really is a pretty color!

sibylla
October 14th, 2008, 10:57 AM
I recommend you do another henna treatment as soon as you can/like. It darkens with every application and it fades less quickly. You can add a little black coffee to make it a bit darker.