PDA

View Full Version : Work headset causing breakage

hufflepug
January 21st, 2016, 09:52 AM
I work in IT and have to wear a headset all day to take calls. One side has a foam ear pad and the other has a rubber grip that holds it against my head. I try to be gentle when I put it on and take it off, but I've noticed pulling and breakage on the side with the rubber grip. Does anyone else have experience with this and know a way to avoid it? I was thinking of maybe buying a pair of baby socks and covering the grip with one or something. Or maybe I can sew something to fit over it...

lapis_lazuli
January 21st, 2016, 09:55 AM
Could you possibly wear a scarf over your head to protect the hair from the headset? If not, I think covering the grip would be a good idea...

embee
January 21st, 2016, 10:52 AM
If you cover the grip will it still work? Not helpful if the headset slips and falls and twists.

Arctic
January 21st, 2016, 10:56 AM
Do you wear you hair up or down? If down, then maybe securing that side with side comb when you sit at your desk.

If you end up covering it, maybe crochet around it with soft yarn (sorry I don't know crocheting terms much in English), or wrap a flat ribbon around it.

hufflepug
January 21st, 2016, 10:59 AM
Do you wear you hair up or down? If down, then maybe securing that side with side comb when you sit at your desk.

If you end up covering it, maybe crochet around it with soft yarn (sorry I don't know crocheting terms much in English), or wrap a flat ribbon around it.

Sometimes I wear it up, sometimes down. There's a lot of friction from the rubber either way though :(

If you cover the grip will it still work? Not helpful if the headset slips and falls and twists.

I think it would still hold because it's pretty tight on my head. I guess I'll have to try it :)

Anje
January 21st, 2016, 11:21 AM
Try it!

I like the idea of starting with a baby sock. That'd be really easy to test it with -- you can always sew something nicer (satin?) if it works, but a quick-and-dirty proof-of-concept is a good place to start.

Any hope for a two-ear headset?

Jo Ann
January 21st, 2016, 01:39 PM
That grip cover sure sounds like a good idea. I would also consider alternating the side the grip is on, if possible.

hufflepug
January 21st, 2016, 02:12 PM
That grip cover sure sounds like a good idea. I would also consider alternating the side the grip is on, if possible.

Unfortunately I'm fairly deaf in my left ear so it's not really an option, otherwise I would.