PDA

View Full Version : I shaved my head to start fresh!

firevegan
January 20th, 2016, 10:17 AM
Hi everyone I'm a long time lurker. After years of contemplating I shaved all my fried hair off! Here is the original thread I posted and everyone convinced me not to roughly 2 years ago.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=124503

Recently I was possessed with the idea that I needed to go blonde so I bleached my arm pit length bob several times 'til it became cotton candy hair. I couldn't get that last bit of henna orange tint out of my hair so I kept bleaching. I finally did get a beautiful shade of blonde but my hair was completely damaged up to the root. It was literally bleached down to the vortex, no cuticle left at all. I think I sunconsciously did all this bleaching because I had a deep seated desire to shave and start fresh. My russian friend is a professional hair stylist and I got her opinion on how much I needed to cut off. She said I could pull off a pixie and subtly grow out the damage and slowly trim it off. I'm an all or nothing type so I went home and chopped myself a pixie, to my dismay the pixie was still cotton candy so I shaved the whole thing off. And I don't regret it. I'm going to grow out beautiful virgin hair of whatever color it is (since I have no idea)

Is there anyone out there who has advice for scalp care to sooth my inflamed scalp and nuture it back to health? Also any links threads or tips to growing it out natural and virgin. I'm possibly doing CO or WO and no heat will be used for styling. Not totally settled and open to ideas!

TLDR: I shaved my absolutely FRIED to dismay arm pit length bob to bald, if theres any advice out there for growing virgin hair from bald or any other baldies/super shorties who want to join me in growing out long virgin hair please let me know!

P.S. I will post pictures of the damage prior to shaving and the result of shaving my head. I will also have a blog on here with pictures from every day 'til it's long for those of you who want to see. I am on mobile right now so I will once I get on a computer.

lapis_lazuli
January 20th, 2016, 10:29 AM
Wow! That's really brave of you :) You may want to follow Igor's story: http://igorsbelltower.blogspot.ca/p/my-hair-history.html
She also started from a shaved head. I would recommend scalp massages/inversion method. Hopefully others can chime in with more tips :)

Swan Maiden
January 20th, 2016, 10:56 AM
It's nice to start fresh! I did the same thing about 8 years ago and am now at Classic length. Enjoy it and keep busy during the mullet stage. The reward is nice healthy virgin hair!

lora410
January 20th, 2016, 11:08 AM
I feel you although i didnt shave my head i had to chop to chin length. A nice scalp oil and miconazole after it grows in a bit will prob help you out a lot. Many great scalp oil recipes and i posted one in herbal hair care u can make with ingredients in the spice section of your grocery store. If you dobt have eo's on hand :)

Belle Paix
January 20th, 2016, 12:32 PM
I think it's brave, and I totally admire you! If I wasn't already into this journey 1 1/2 years, I'd seriously consider following you! :)

missrandie
January 20th, 2016, 01:22 PM
Check out the "Super Shorties" thread!

I suggest a nice calming oatmeal soak to soothe your scalp. When I bleached the crap out of my pixie, I would immediately go home and saturate my head in cool jojoba, coconut, and castor oils, then wrap it up under a beanie until my head quit burning. Perhaps something like that would interest you? I was also a big fan of adding in lavender essential oil, as it is great for skin inflammation.

Good luck on your journey! For now, WO is just fine, unless your scalp needs a little more. Think of this time as your scalp pampering time! It's less about the hair and more about the scalp.

Oh, and it's never too early to start sleeping on a silk pillowcase or using a silk sleep bonnet.. After all, those roots will soon become your ends! That's what I did, though I simply started at a short pixie.

gthlvrmx
January 20th, 2016, 02:00 PM
I shaved to bald around 2 years ago. I tried giving my hair more moisture as I grew it out from bald, which is something that you can look into if that interests you. I'd say treat your short hairs gently, help them get the moisture they need, and try looking into keeping your hair care on the simple side. It doesn't have to be complicated to grow out healthy hair if that's what you want to do. A silk pillowcase will help too.

ETA: Maybe an SMT can help with the inflammation since it has aloe? But I want to ask, why is your scalp inflamed? Is it a sunburn? Maybe the aloe gel by itself may help but I am no doctor.

battles
January 20th, 2016, 02:39 PM
Come join the Super Shorties! I'm currently growing out a very short pixie. :)

AJNinami
January 20th, 2016, 07:45 PM
Good luck! I've always had a secret urge to shave it all off, but I'm not brave enough for that and my hair has already started growing out natural. I love the look of a shaved head on a woman, it's a mixture of hard and soft. But then again, every style looks fabulous if done right. Enjoy the new grass-ish stage and try not to rub your hands over it too much (it's so soft then!). I'll definitely be following your journey. :)

shrinkingviolet
January 21st, 2016, 02:34 AM
That's very brave of you OP. I once contemplated shaving my head at one point because of how damaged it was but seeing as I have a baby face, a bald head would probably make me look like an infant. I bet it feels really good though. Good luck on your journey!