PDA

View Full Version : Aloe versus flaxseed gel: advice please

copperlites
January 19th, 2016, 06:21 PM
My aloe gel has just run out. I've read a few threads mentioning flaxseed gel. I use loe mainly to tame flyaways , which seems to work, and to add moisture, which I'm not convinced it is successful at. Does flax do similar things or have an entirely different purpose? I'm wondering if I should try the flax instead?

copperlites
January 19th, 2016, 07:12 PM
Ohh I just found this recipe and advice. I'm going to give it a go and will report back. http://urbanbushbabes.com/diy-flax-seed-gel-and-its-benefits-on-the-hair/

Daydreamer.
January 20th, 2016, 02:48 AM
I've used both awhile back. I liked flax seed gel more because it added softness and hold to my hair.

shrinkingviolet
January 22nd, 2016, 11:30 PM
Flaxseed gel definately has a better hold that aloe. It's better at defining waves and curls also. It's my favorite, non-commercial hair gel.

copperlites
January 23rd, 2016, 09:22 AM
Daydreamer and shrinkingviolet you are sooo right. I can't believe how much the flaxseed gel has revived my natural texture. I just made it this morning and this is how it looked at 5pm after air drying all day in claw clips, aka curly girl method. I don't think my ends wil ever get the curl back but I'm really impressed with the softness and lack of frizz compared to without the gel.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=21090&d=1453565154

Olavi
January 23rd, 2016, 03:59 PM
Ooo, it seems to be working really well to you! Your curls look amazing!!

I have used both, and I liked mix of flaxseed and aloe best, I think I used around 4 parts flaxseed gel, 1 part aloe vera gel ratio. Maybe even less ale vera than that, I'm not sure, I just squirted it :'D But it really made my hair feels super soft. I have been too lazy to make it for a long time, but I could maybe do another batch tomorrow :)

copperlites
January 23rd, 2016, 04:25 PM
[QUOTE=Olavi;3158213]Ooo, it seems to be working really well to you! Your curls look amazing!!

thanks Olavi, it definitely worked better than i imagined. Im out of Aloe at the moment and so decided to try making this instead. I added 5 drops of ylang ylang essential oil to my batch, which made it smell amazing. I made it with ¼ cup flaxseed to 2 cups water. i soaked the seeds overnight before cooking, then added the EO when it had cooled. it made 200mls of gel which I then froze it in ice cube trays. It made 8 largish cubes. 1 cube is enough to gel my hair all over so I will remove from the freezer as needed to ensure it stays fresh.

Olavi
January 23rd, 2016, 04:47 PM
it made 200mls of gel which I then froze it in ice cube trays. It made 8 largish cubes. 1 cube is enough to gel my hair all over so I will remove from the freezer as needed to ensure it stays fresh.

Thanks for the tip! I have had troubles on using up all of the current batch before it goes bad, but freezing it right away would solve that problem. I will try it once I acquire an ice cube tray :D