PDA

View Full Version : If you combed your hair over a white sink....

Idreamlong
January 19th, 2016, 03:39 AM
.... And there were 5-6 broken hairs in there after, what would you think/do?

I panicked a bit and just had an S&D session but didn't find a lot. I combed it over the sink about 10 days ago and there was only one broken bit. Haven't been doing anything different, argh!!

Akville
January 19th, 2016, 03:51 AM
5-6 ha ha.. lucky you.. I have dozens of them...

Garnetgem
January 19th, 2016, 03:58 AM
I do that sometimes and can ignore 5-6 hairs only when it turns to double numbers do i kind of panic!

Idreamlong
January 19th, 2016, 03:58 AM
I get dozens from my top, bleached layer as that is still damaged but not normally much from my bottom, darker layers and there was definitely about 6 broken darker pieces of hair in the sink just now. Perhaps there is damage higher up that I can't see/ get to!

lapushka
January 19th, 2016, 05:22 AM
.... And there were 5-6 broken hairs in there after, what would you think/do?

I panicked a bit and just had an S&D session but didn't find a lot. I combed it over the sink about 10 days ago and there was only one broken bit. Haven't been doing anything different, argh!!

I had that a while ago and went to the rinse-out oil method (look in my signature) - it helped hugely and stopped the breakage. I did have a trim at the end of the year, but the breakage was solved before that with this method.

Idreamlong
January 19th, 2016, 05:43 AM
What does the oil do? Do you recommend any specific oil? Thanks

Nini
January 19th, 2016, 07:53 AM
I'd clean the sink and not think anything of it at all.

Amapola
January 19th, 2016, 08:01 AM

:rollin: I love this reply...

1. My hair is so fine that even in a white sink I would not be able to see the hairs easily, so I might not even notice!

2. Provided I could see the 5 or 6 hairs, I would just think "Huh!" and clean them up.

3. If I thought that was an unusual amount of hairs (I don't) I would oil my ends more often. I oil them twice a week now. I might go to three times a week.

That about sums it up for me! :)

ETA: Whoops! Didn't see that the OP had asked about oil. I used Kendi oil and I get it at Sally's. So far it's the best one for my own particular hair. It coats my hairs and really prevents them from sticking to each other. This is the first winter I have not ended up with most of my hair breaking! In the past I've used coconut and various other oils but this one seems to work really well for me.

spidermom
January 19th, 2016, 08:05 AM

That's what I would do as well.

Arctic
January 19th, 2016, 08:08 AM

Yep, my thoughts too.

lapushka
January 19th, 2016, 08:20 AM

Read the thread through, if you can. I'll explain in short. You shampoo, then you take 5 to 10 drops (yes "drops") of oil and rub it between your palms, then spread through your ends / lengths, then rinse, then use your conditioner as per usual. The oil provides protection. Don't ask me how to explain it. It might not work for you, YMMV, as always, but it is at least worth a shot!

lapushka
January 19th, 2016, 08:21 AM

Read the thread through, if you can. I'll explain in short. You shampoo, then you take 5 to 10 drops (yes "drops") of oil and rub it between your palms, then spread through your ends / lengths, then rinse, then use your conditioner as per usual. The oil provides protection & moisture and seals some water in to a degree. Don't ask me how to explain it. It might not work for you, YMMV, as always, but it is at least worth a shot! I use MO (J&J baby oil), but any oil will do. DO NOT be tempted to use more oil, no, don't do it!

lapis_lazuli
January 19th, 2016, 09:50 AM

Same here! :rollin:

chen bao jun
January 19th, 2016, 10:07 AM
Haha! I use two palmfulls, not five or six drops. some of us have hair that eats oil. I use a heavy oil, Jamaican black castor, thinned out with a little burdock root oil.

It does help a lot.

My ends are still hair from before LHC. When I see five to six broken off pieces, I don't like it. I don't like more than one or two. the problem is, though my husbands hair is quite different from mine, its the same black and the same coarse, so when I see his normal shed hairs after combing (if he doesn't clean the sink) I think I have SEVERE hair breakage. It took me awhile to figure that out.

what works for me even more than the oil is more frequent washing. When I wash again within 4-7 days, I don't get the breakage. 8-14, I get it. I'm still getting used to this as I used to stretch for 14 and even more routinely. I'd lose my curl, but not my hair, if that makes sense. and my scalp doesn't care. but suddenly I got to a certain length (I'm mid back stretched now, though my pics don't show it) and my ends really want to washed every 4-5 days, and I can't seem to do it. I still think of washing as this big, giant chore, as it was pre-LHC, very Pavlovian...

meteor
January 19th, 2016, 12:42 PM
I would try to introduce more elasticity to hair: oiling ends periodically can really help with this - as a leave-in oil every other day or so, or pre-wash treatments (http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.ca/2014/03/oil-pre-shampoo-or-pre-wash.html), oil rinses, oil added to conditioner, "sealing" with oil post-wash...
Here is a good article that might be of help: http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.ca/2014/03/managing-elasticity-and-porosity-in-hair.html

what works for me even more than the oil is more frequent washing. When I wash again within 4-7 days, I don't get the breakage. 8-14, I get it. I'm still getting used to this as I used to stretch for 14 and even more routinely. I'd lose my curl, but not my hair, if that makes sense. and my scalp doesn't care. but suddenly I got to a certain length (I'm mid back stretched now, though my pics don't show it) and my ends really want to washed every 4-5 days, and I can't seem to do it. I still think of washing as this big, giant chore, as it was pre-LHC, very Pavlovian...

That's very interesting, chen! :D Did you figure out why that happens? :) I wonder if it's just the more frequent introduction of moisture, or more frequent/easier detangling that happens during washing, or more frequent removal of build-up, or is it something else...? :hmm:

chen bao jun
January 19th, 2016, 01:11 PM
meteor, I don't know.

I was guessing moisture. Water is really the only thing that moisturizes my hair, and then oil seals it in. Conditioner adds slip which I need (I need a silicone conditioner) and then oil seals that in, too. For a bit. About 4 days. the detangling is about the same no matter how long/short its been. Other than that I have more shed hairs that stayed up i nthere when its been longer. I don't seem to get much buildup, at least I don't think I do. that's something to consider, though. Thanks.

Anje
January 19th, 2016, 01:18 PM
I'll have to try this in the bathtub... My hair isn't exactly at sink level, but I suspect it'd be more shed hair than broken.

Don't worry about it too much. Broken bits are from past damage. Grow your hair, trim it, and eventually you'll have all post-LHC hair. If you're anything like me, you'll find that post-LHC hair is quite a different animal than pre-LHC hair. It likes different things (oils are more welcome for mine) and it's frequently more resilient because it hasn't been subjected to so much.

Nadine <3
January 19th, 2016, 01:19 PM
probably nothing. There's like a 90% chance that I was brushing my hair like a maniac and it was my fault the hair broke. lol

KittyBird
January 19th, 2016, 01:25 PM
This!
I sometimes find broken hairs in the sink (I always comb over the sink because otherwise the shed hair ends up all over the bathroom floor), but it's hard to avoid with my hair. Breakage happens.

chen bao jun
I'll have to try this in the bathtub... My hair isn't exactly at sink level, but I suspect it'd be more shed hair than broken.

Don't worry about it too much. Broken bits are from past damage. Grow your hair, trim it, and eventually you'll have all post-LHC hair. If you're anything like me, you'll find that post-LHC hair is quite a different animal than pre-LHC hair. It likes different things (oils are more welcome for mine) and it's frequently more resilient because it hasn't been subjected to so much.

Yes, my LHC hair is very very different indeed.

meteor
Thanks a lot, chen bao jun! :blossom: That's great to know! :thumbsup:

Islandgrrl
January 19th, 2016, 02:21 PM

Ditto this. It wouldn't concern me in the least.

Daydreamer.
January 20th, 2016, 03:47 AM
Hmmm.... I wouldn't panic about it, but I would wonder what caused the breakage and how I can prevent it from happening again. If there were more, I would assess my hair care methods and find the culprit.