PDA

View Full Version : How to Improve Indigo Uptake?

mellie
October 13th, 2008, 06:30 AM
Are there any tips to improve indigo's take on hair? Does adding a little bit of salt work?

paprikapapaya
October 13th, 2008, 07:33 AM
I have had success with a tsp of salt added to the indigo helping it stick. My first couple of indigos didn't stick very well, but after a few more I didn't find it faded much. I think over time it builds up a little.

Aisha25
October 13th, 2008, 09:52 AM
Your going to do indigo mellie? I was reading on henna for hair that its 1 tablespoon salt for every 100g and also alittle sugar will thicken it up. I have not done this but im going to soon,I was going to today but its to cold in my house and I dont want catch a cold.

mellie
October 13th, 2008, 10:32 AM
Hi Aisha25! I've been using Rainbow Dark Brown henna which has indigo in it, but lately I've been washing with soapnuts (reetha) and they seem to pull out the indigo faster. So I want something to help the indigo stick to my hair better! :-)

wintersun99
October 13th, 2008, 10:45 AM
I've read that adding amla to indigo just before application makes it quite dark and with staying power... I've not tried it though. I think it also depends on the quality of indigo, I can vouch for the staying power of the stuff from H4H :)

mellie
October 13th, 2008, 11:48 AM
I've tried amla and indigo from H4H but I can't use them, unfortunately. The powders are too fine and my poor DH has sneezing attacks (even me to a lesser extent). So I had to give them away, very sad.

The Rainbow henna has been working great with very good staying power, just until I started to use soapnuts for washing. It's very weird!

wintersun99
October 13th, 2008, 12:20 PM
aha, then I would echo the suggestion to try adding salt to the Rainbow product... good luck