PDA

View Full Version : Inversion Method VS Daily Scalp Massage

Daydreamer.
January 18th, 2016, 06:12 AM
Which increases hair growth the most, the Inversion Method or a daily (or 2-3x a week) scalp massage? Which one gave you the most hair growth?

lapushka
January 18th, 2016, 06:15 AM
Which increases hair growth the most, the Inversion Method or a daily (or bi-weekly) scalp massage?

Depends on the person, IMMHO. You'll have to figure that one out for yourself. ;)

lapis_lazuli
January 18th, 2016, 07:55 AM
I do both :) Like lapushka said, it depends on the person.

-Fern
January 18th, 2016, 08:03 AM
I prefer just doing scalp massage; my length loves oils, but my scalp does not.

lapis_lazuli
January 18th, 2016, 08:05 AM
^ This. I will say with the inversion method, my scalp gets very oily and more buildup. You might have to wash more often if you're doing this method a lot.

curlysamantha
January 18th, 2016, 08:07 AM
I personally prefer to do scalp massages because the inversion method was just too uncomfortable. It really is up to the individual though.

khryz
January 18th, 2016, 08:12 AM
I alternate between both, depending on how my neck (and back) feels ;)

Gotta try both yourself to see what works best. It's usually a combination of things you're doing that promote hair growth, so don't forget about technique as well.

lapushka
January 18th, 2016, 08:52 AM
Washing my hair (I have thick hair) usually happens in sections (4: back, top, 2 sides) and so it takes a long while to massage shampoo in, suds it up, quick rinse, suds up again and massage some more, then final rinse. It takes 10-12 minutes since I had my hair layered again (15 before that). I consider that enough weekly massage for me. So I don't go beyond that with anything special.

Still, I get half an inch a month, as per usual. :shrug: Not that I'm eager for growth anymore. I'm pretty laid back about it since hitting classic length.

LoveSnap
January 18th, 2016, 09:00 AM
I've been doing a growth challenge from another site and have been getting at least an inch a month. I was also curious as to which of these techniques is actually producing all of the growth I've been getting but since I'm on this challenge I'm going to keep doing both until it's over. As soon as this challenge is over I'm going to be doing these techniques in isolation to see what happens.

school of fish
January 18th, 2016, 09:02 AM
Echoing what everyone else has said - there's no one-size-fits-all solution.

For me, neither inversion nor scalp massage worked. My hair grows stubbornly at the average rate of 1/2" per month, and nothing I do to my scalp seems to budge that growth rate at all. But of course I know this for myself because I tried it for myself ;)

So why not do some experimenting and use process of elimination to figure out what works or doesn't work for you? Just make sure that you make one change at a time (so if you have success you know where it came from), and that you give each method a long enough trial to give it a fair shot (unless you find massively increased shedding/breakage/tangling/etc... in which case you know it's not for you).

vpatt
January 18th, 2016, 09:39 AM
I used oils and massage and inversion and I think I got about average growth. But when I stopped my growth slowed down. I don't know if that was because of stopping those things or just natural seasons of more and less growth. I think finding the answers might be more than I have energy for. But I have begun doing it again except for the oil which is too messy.

Hairkay
January 18th, 2016, 10:33 AM
I'll do scalp massage as part of my WO washing routine. I won't do the inversion method because I don't think it's worth it. That's more to do with impatience really and after awhile your body will get used to it. That will mean those results can't be maintained.

gustavonut
January 18th, 2016, 10:39 AM
I used to do inversion method but it was kinda hard for me to remember to rub my head with oil and hold my head upside down every day for 7 days straight. :rolleyes:
I do scalp massages every day because it feels great. I don't know if it helps my scalp but I do like doing it and it doesn't make my hair fall out so why not?! :p

reilly0167
January 18th, 2016, 10:47 AM
I decided to do scalp massages yesterday while I do my deep treatment olive oil and honey... I even added castor oil (figure I do a challenge teehee)...I posted a pic on my profile called length check... Couldn't hurt testing the method and castor oil since both has growth potential.. Will see=)

ChloeDharma
January 18th, 2016, 03:19 PM
I haven't done the inversion method because it's far too awkward remembering to do it for 7 days then wait a month and being easily distracted it just wouldn't be maintainable for me. Also some things seem problematic about it, like when you are in the resting period can you not wash your hair over the bath or do anything where you spend time in a position with increased blood flow to the scalp?

That said, I do like scalp massage and bent over brushing daily. I am not so good at keeping up with it now but back when I did it twice a day for a longish time I did have thicker growth. It didn't make my hair grow faster like I thought it would but certainly made my hair thicker and I had less taper after a year or two of doing it.

MeAndTheMaz
January 18th, 2016, 06:08 PM
Like others have said, YMMV. It's easy enough to run some studies on it. Inversion is supposed to give you an extra .75-1 inch growth in a week? Do it for two months and see if it's done anything for you. The try the other method.

I did inversion all of last year (1 week every month, or so), and, for me, I don't think it did much good. Looks like I only grew 7-8 inches all year. Not much more than average.

Akville
January 19th, 2016, 03:48 AM
Hi,

how do you guys massage your scalp .. every time i do it i get so many tangles so i think i do more damage to detangle my hair afterwards then getting benefit of the increased growth rate..

Idreamlong
January 19th, 2016, 04:03 AM
Does anyone's shedding increase after doing scalp massage/ inversion method?

rhosyn_du
January 19th, 2016, 03:29 PM
Hi,

how do you guys massage your scalp .. every time i do it i get so many tangles so i think i do more damage to detangle my hair afterwards then getting benefit of the increased growth rate..

I detangle first using a wide tooth comb. Then, I insert my fingers at the hairline and apply gentle pressure to my scalp while moving them in a straight line toward the crown of my head. Then, I lift my fingertips slightly away from the scalp and remove them from my hair along the same path they went in. I move my fingers to a different point along my hairline (I usually go front, sides, back, repeat, but it doesn't really matter what order you go in) and repeat the process. If I want a really serious scalp massage, I follow this up by brushing with a wood bristle brush, but I only use that method right before a wash, because it turns my wurls into poofy hair of doom.

Daydreamer.
January 20th, 2016, 03:27 AM
Washing my hair (I have thick hair) usually happens in sections (4: back, top, 2 sides) and so it takes a long while to massage shampoo in, suds it up, quick rinse, suds up again and massage some more, then final rinse. It takes 10-12 minutes since I had my hair layered again (15 before that). I consider that enough weekly massage for me. So I don't go beyond that with anything special. Still, I get half an inch a month, as per usual. :shrug: Not that I'm eager for growth anymore. I'm pretty laid back about it since hitting classic length. Come to think of it, washing hair is like a massage. I wonder if it counts?

Daydreamer.
January 20th, 2016, 03:30 AM
I've been doing a growth challenge from another site and have been getting at least an inch a month. I was also curious as to which of these techniques is actually producing all of the growth I've been getting but since I'm on this challenge I'm going to keep doing both until it's over. As soon as this challenge is over I'm going to be doing these techniques in isolation to see what happens. I'm thinking about trying both separately, too. I guess the time period for the test has to be a month since you can do the Inversion Method is only 1x a month.

Daydreamer.
January 20th, 2016, 03:33 AM
I'll do scalp massage as part of my WO washing routine. I won't do the inversion method because I don't think it's worth it. That's more to do with impatience really and after awhile your body will get used to it. That will mean those results can't be maintained. I agree with the impatience part, Inverting your head for 4 min. can seem like an eternity...

Daydreamer.
January 20th, 2016, 03:36 AM
I haven't done the inversion method because it's far too awkward remembering to do it for 7 days then wait a month and being easily distracted it just wouldn't be maintainable for me. Also some things seem problematic about it, like when you are in the resting period can you not wash your hair over the bath or do anything where you spend time in a position with increased blood flow to the scalp? That said, I do like scalp massage and bent over brushing daily. I am not so good at keeping up with it now but back when I did it twice a day for a longish time I did have thicker growth. It didn't make my hair grow faster like I thought it would but certainly made my hair thicker and I had less taper after a year or two of doing it. What you daily seems similar to the Inversion Method. Thickness is the next best thing.

Daydreamer.
January 20th, 2016, 03:39 AM
Hi, how do you guys massage your scalp .. every time i do it i get so many tangles so i think i do more damage to detangle my hair afterwards then getting benefit of the increased growth rate.. Hmmm... I also get tangles if I massage my hair when it's down. Try loosely braiding your hair and sticking your fingers through the gaps of hair to massage your scalp.

Llama
January 20th, 2016, 11:29 AM
Inversion method seriously hurts my neck every time I have done it. Anyone else get that?

lapis_lazuli
January 20th, 2016, 11:31 AM
If I had to choose one, I'd go with the inversion method. It gets the blood rushing to your head in addition to massaging your scalp. But that's just me. Be careful; you can get dizzy if you do it for too long or too often.

summergame
June 6th, 2016, 12:42 PM
I would like to try the inversion method on my scalp but because I have a high blood pressure I can't do it. It is forbidden to people with high blood pressure.

Cg
June 6th, 2016, 12:56 PM
Hi,

After removing night braid, I use my fingertips to gently massage in tiny circles, very briefly and carefully so as not to tangle. I also use a bamboo bristle brush that massages the scalp and feels great. Vigorous scrubbing, fingernails, pulling, or lots of time would be overkill. All you want to do is encourage increased blood flow.

lulikrueger
June 7th, 2016, 02:08 AM
I like the scalp massages better. Inversion method is a lot of work for me, plus I would always forget about it.
'Been massaging my scalp everyday for a few weeks now, and one thing I can say: my scalp seems to take longer to get greasy, which is funny.
I'll use my fingers or this vibrating hairbrush. I'll only use oil on wash day. I have a few concoctions(this word is really hard for me to get right, grrr) of mainly castor oil with bay leaves, or EOs, or cinnamon, or anything else I can find that'll help with scalp health.
I've been oiling and massaging my scalp at least once a week for more than a year now, maybe two. I don't notice any shocking amount of growth in a short amout of time, but almost everyday someone points how long it's getting, so maybe it's just hair dysmorphia.

Whirled_peas
June 7th, 2016, 10:02 PM
I tried this but I have low blood pressure and it made me feel light headed.

Adorkable One
June 8th, 2016, 01:13 AM
I like the inversion method...but, I skip the oil.

missmex
June 8th, 2016, 02:34 AM
How does one do the inversion method? Just lay on my bed with my head upside down towards the floor? Or do I massage while being "inverted"? TIA!

Adorkable One
June 8th, 2016, 02:45 AM
How does one do the inversion method? Just lay on my bed with my head upside down towards the floor? Or do I massage while being "inverted"? TIA!

There are tons of tutorials/demonstrations on YouTube for it. Personally, all I do is lay down on my back, on my bed, with my head hanging off the end. Basically it's like my shoulders and base of my neck are still supported by the bed, but my head and hair hang off the end. Then I massage my scalp, skipping the oil, which is typically used.

Lavendersugar
June 8th, 2016, 10:01 AM
I prefer massaging because I live with head pain and neck pain. No way I'm laying letting blood rush to my head. Plus with that method you need to make sure it's ok if you have certain health conditions.
Massaging the scalp is more user friendly.

Spinder
June 8th, 2016, 10:07 AM
I tried this, but I slipped and hit my head on a book shelf :oops: