PDA

View Full Version : Finally found my perfect routine

Vanilla
January 17th, 2016, 11:24 AM
After 4 years on the LHC and loads of experimenting, I have finally found my perfect routine. I've streamlined to fewer products that consistently give me good results. My hair is F/M, slightly wavy, is prone to buildup and tangles ridiculously easily. I'd like to be able to stretch my washes more, but it's not really possible with blonde hair. I was finding that dry shampoo was causing more problems for my hair and scalp than it's been worth.

So here it is:
Pre-wash: Scritch, massage and preen (SMP), detangle with wide tooth comb. Use BBB to redistribute oils down the hair shaft. Add small amount of coconut oil to length from ears down. Wait at least 1 hour before washing.

Wash (3x a week):
Shampoo with Madora George Michael Pink Creme shampoo and a shampoo brush:
http://www.amazon.com/Scalpmaster-Shampoo-Brush-Purple/dp/B000NJG82W

Conditon with Madora George Michael 60 second conditioner and finger detangle conditoner through hair.

Rinse, apply Madora George Michael Creme Rinse to ends and outside edges of hair only.

Rinse again.

Dry hair with regular towel. Apply 2-3 drops of mineral oil to hair from ears down. Finger comb that through hair, then use wide tooth comb to finish. Allow to air dry.

Deep condition only with heated cap and with Madora George Michael 12 minute conditoner, after shampooing. Use Creme Rinse after deep conditioner is rinsed out, and 2-3 drops of mineral oil. Deep conditioning is reserved for the weekend, when I can sit with it on my hair for at least 1/2 hour.

The shampoo brush is what makes it possible for me to not use dry shampoo on the days I'm not washing. It stimulates my scalp and gets all of the buildup loose and easily rinsed away.

My hair tangles way less now when wet.

papayatree
January 17th, 2016, 01:02 PM
That is an impressive routine Vanilla! Glad to see something works after this long period of experimenting!

lapis_lazuli
January 17th, 2016, 01:04 PM
Congrats! :applause It must be such a relief to have it nailed down! :pins:

school of fish
January 17th, 2016, 01:22 PM
Congrats Vanilla! It feels great when all the work pays off and you can just relax into your routine, doesn't it? It took me two years or so to find mine, and the angels sang once I did!

The really nice thing I find aboht having the routine established is that now any experiments I try are about fine-tuning or fun - if it works, it's easy to slip it into the routine, and if it doesn't work, you just go back to what does.

Enjoy :D

lapushka
January 17th, 2016, 01:27 PM
Just an idea, but if you maybe don't SMP, you might be able to wash less. The more you manipulate the scalp, the more oil it produces (in my experience, that is also one of the reasons why I don't brush the scalp unless it's pre-wash (and then lightly)).

Vanilla
January 17th, 2016, 01:29 PM
Thanks everyone! It's a huge relief to know that I don't need to keep looking for products that are going to potentially be better for me than the ones I'm currently using.

Now I've got to destash everything else that is still partially used.

Vanilla
January 17th, 2016, 01:32 PM
Just an idea, but if you maybe don't SMP, you might be able to wash less. The more you manipulate the scalp, the more oil it produces (in my experience, that is also one of the reasons why I don't brush the scalp unless it's pre-wash (and then lightly)).

I only SMP right before my washes. I can't wash less due to me having blonde hair. Oily hair shows up extremely fast on light colored hair (it actually changes color) and I was compensating by using dry shampoo to look presentable on the days I didn't wash. My scalp wasn't liking having dry shampoo on it every other day.

thefreakingmoon
January 17th, 2016, 07:15 PM
Congrats on finding a good routine that works for you! The pre-wash routine sounds especially nice, I really need to get myself a good BBB already hahaha...

pailin
January 17th, 2016, 08:24 PM
Thanks for sharing your routine! If I try stretching washes again, I will have to try your pre-wash routine; I have that same problem with oil showing up so quickly and making my hair change color.

Arctic
January 18th, 2016, 05:17 AM
How do you use the shampoo brush (in detail)? Does it tangle your hair? What are the benefits of the said brush? And: how did you get the idea to try it?

Lot of questions haha! It intrigues me, as I used to saw those shampooing brushes when I was a little child (especially older ladies seemed to favour them back then), but haven't seen them being used or talked about in decades (although now that I googled a bit, looks like they have been rising in popularity just recently, especially in the Curly hair-communities). I also see those brushes being sold for dogs, heh, and I actually happen to have one unused at home! So... lets hear it! (And thank you in advance!)

In a way it doesn't surprise me that also this brush has been brought back to life, and it seems to have gotten a new, trendier imago :D (besed on the videos I saw.) Hair care is an industry and it needs constant NEW!!! things for people to consume, and "they" seem to recycle a lot of older stuff - but always in new and improved way. It's fascinating, really!

Daydreamer.
January 18th, 2016, 05:29 AM
Congratulations on finding the best routine for you!

Annalouise
January 18th, 2016, 07:26 AM
After 4 years on the LHC and loads of experimenting, I have finally found my perfect routine. I've streamlined to fewer products that consistently give me good results. My hair is F/M, slightly wavy, is prone to buildup and tangles ridiculously easily. I'd like to be able to stretch my washes more, but it's not really possible with blonde hair. I was finding that dry shampoo was causing more problems for my hair and scalp than it's been worth.

So here it is:
Pre-wash: Scritch, massage and preen (SMP), detangle with wide tooth comb. Use BBB to redistribute oils down the hair shaft. Add small amount of coconut oil to length from ears down. Wait at least 1 hour before washing.

Wash (3x a week):
Shampoo with Madora George Michael Pink Creme shampoo and a shampoo brush:
http://www.amazon.com/Scalpmaster-Shampoo-Brush-Purple/dp/B000NJG82W

Conditon with Madora George Michael 60 second conditioner and finger detangle conditoner through hair.

Rinse, apply Madora George Michael Creme Rinse to ends and outside edges of hair only.

Rinse again.

Dry hair with regular towel. Apply 2-3 drops of mineral oil to hair from ears down. Finger comb that through hair, then use wide tooth comb to finish. Allow to air dry.

Deep condition only with heated cap and with Madora George Michael 12 minute conditoner, after shampooing. Use Creme Rinse after deep conditioner is rinsed out, and 2-3 drops of mineral oil. Deep conditioning is reserved for the weekend, when I can sit with it on my hair for at least 1/2 hour.

The shampoo brush is what makes it possible for me to not use dry shampoo on the days I'm not washing. It stimulates my scalp and gets all of the buildup loose and easily rinsed away.

My hair tangles way less now when wet.

That's great Vanilla! Sounds like you found your hair care "home".:) Do you also brush your hair with a bbb daily or just before washing? And do you brush your hair when there is coconut oil in it?
I've often been curious to try their products but I don't know if they make a 'fragrance free' version. How do the products smell to you? Are they strong smelling? (ie: the day after washing is the smell gone or does it stay in your hair until next wash day?)

Vanilla
January 18th, 2016, 07:54 AM
How do you use the shampoo brush (in detail)? Does it tangle your hair? What are the benefits of the said brush? And: how did you get the idea to try it?

Lot of questions haha! It intrigues me, as I used to saw those shampooing brushes when I was a little child (especially older ladies seemed to favour them back then), but haven't seen them being used or talked about in decades (although now that I googled a bit, looks like they have been rising in popularity just recently, especially in the Curly hair-communities). I also see those brushes being sold for dogs, heh, and I actually happen to have one unused at home! So... lets hear it! (And thank you in advance!)

In a way it doesn't surprise me that also this brush has been brought back to life, and it seems to have gotten a new, trendier imago :D (besed on the videos I saw.) Hair care is an industry and it needs constant NEW!!! things for people to consume, and "they" seem to recycle a lot of older stuff - but always in new and improved way. It's fascinating, really!

I've actually had the shampoo brush in my Arsenal of hair stuff since college (in one form or another). I used to use it on dry hair to stimulate my scalp between washes. Using it on dry hair helped to increase my growth rate, but it stimulated my scalp to produce way more oil.

The way I use it currently is to put my shampoo in my hands and distribute it across my scalp first. I then take out the shampoo brush and use short strokes in front-back motions, all over my scalp. It does appear to produce quite a bit of tangles at the scalp when you're using it, but the second conditoning and finger detangling step gets rid of all of them. I only apply conditioner from the ears down.

That's great Vanilla! Sounds like you found your hair care "home".:) Do you also brush your hair with a bbb daily or just before washing? And do you brush your hair when there is coconut oil in it?
I've often been curious to try their products but I don't know if they make a 'fragrance free' version. How do the products smell to you? Are they strong smelling? (ie: the day after washing is the smell gone or does it stay in your hair until next wash day?)

I only use a BBB before washing. Using one daily makes my hair way too oily. I usually don't BBB with coconut oil in my hair. I find I don't need to spread out the coconut oil as much as I need to spread out my own sebum.

The Madora George michael products do have quite a scent to them. To me, they smell like a salon (if that makes any sense). The only product in which the scent lingers is the 12 minute deep conditioner. Every other scent is gone after washing and rinsing. I am fairly sensitive to fragrances myself, and these don't seem to bother me.

Annalouise
January 18th, 2016, 08:26 AM
I've actually had the shampoo brush in my Arsenal of hair stuff since college (in one form or another). I used to use it on dry hair to stimulate my scalp between washes. Using it on dry hair helped to increase my growth rate, but it stimulated my scalp to produce way more oil.

The way I use it currently is to put my shampoo in my hands and distribute it across my scalp first. I then take out the shampoo brush and use short strokes in front-back motions, all over my scalp. It does appear to produce quite a bit of tangles at the scalp when you're using it, but the second conditoning and finger detangling step gets rid of all of them. I only apply conditioner from the ears down.

I only use a BBB before washing. Using one daily makes my hair way too oily. I usually don't BBB with coconut oil in my hair. I find I don't need to spread out the coconut oil as much as I need to spread out my own sebum.

The Madora George michael products do have quite a scent to them. To me, they smell like a salon (if that makes any sense). The only product in which the scent lingers is the 12 minute deep conditioner. Every other scent is gone after washing and rinsing. I am fairly sensitive to fragrances myself, and these don't seem to bother me.

Thanks for the feedback. The bbb makes my scalp oily too so I only do about 10 brush strokes. But it removes the lint from my hair that causes tangles if left.:)

Carolyn
January 18th, 2016, 09:03 AM
Thank you for sharing your routine with us. I think I need to ass a pre wash oiling to my wash days. You and I have the same hair type and similar color. I totally get what you mean about blonde hair looking dirty. I can't stand it when my hair looks like that. I can do every other day but when I go to a 3rd or 4th day day, I'm a grease pit. I have to slick it back and contain it so I don't look like I smeared bacon grease on my head. I'm going to have to get one of those brushes. I had one years ago and I have no idea where it went. I usually don't get rid of things.

Vanilla
January 19th, 2016, 07:52 PM
Let me know if any part of my routine works for you guys :)