PDA

View Full Version : Hair too heavy? what should I do?

haircare4days
January 16th, 2016, 09:51 PM
so, my hair is to the point where it is down below my chest, and I have started experiencing pains in the back of my neck, im not sure how to alleviate these, but really don't want to cut my hair short. I already braid my hair and rest it on my shoulder, and try to leave it down during the day, specifically if anyone can recommend exercises to condition my neck that would be great.
Also I was thinking that my neck pain may be caused by how i'm sleeping with my hair? so I'll just ask openly, how do you sleep with your hair?

curlysamantha
January 16th, 2016, 10:16 PM
You could try getting your hair thinned, it wont cut length but will just get rid of the excess weight.

I sleep with my hair in a french braid :)

Garnetgem
January 16th, 2016, 11:01 PM
I sleep with my hair in a hair net it places no pressure at all i used to sleep with it in a braid but it became uncomfortable once it got thicker as a braid places weight to pull in one area,so perhaps try a hair net it is very comfortable you dont even know your wearing it,during the day i braid it back loosely as not top lace to much pressure.

pailin
January 16th, 2016, 11:42 PM
If you like to wear it down, maybe layers? Of course they are annoying in braids. For updoes, you might try something like milkmaid/Heidi braids,to spread the weight around and not weigh down the back of your head.
For your neck, I have no ideas for specific exercises, but maybe anything that helps with good posture.

Jo Ann
January 16th, 2016, 11:59 PM
Neck rolls (http://backandneck.about.com/od/deskexercises/ss/neckstretch.htm) might help you out. I would also check out the pillow(s) you're sleeping on--it (they) might not be providing the support you need.

I alternate braiding my hair (I prefer rope braids--they're quick and easy to do) in pigtails or over one shoulder; usually I alternate with the braid on my left side, pigtails the next night and the braid on my right side. Maybe alternating your daily braid with buns?

Nique1202
January 17th, 2016, 04:01 AM
It's possible (even likely) that your neck pain is unrelated to your hair length, especially if you're only a ii thickness. I thought the tension headaches and migraines I was having were because of my hair being too heavy as I approached waist length, so I got deep layers cut into it (took out close to half of the volume below my nape, so the same weight as if I'd cut probably 6-8 inches off) and nothing improved at all. Now I have layers to deal with and grow out for nothing. It turned out my headaches and migraines were just because of my life situation and stress. Once I fixed that, my headaches dropped off significantly.

Remember, your muscles are constantly adjusting to the additional weight with every millimeter your hair grows, and it's such a slow process that your neck has lots of time to build itself up. Unless you're getting problems from the way you style your hair (if you wear ponytails or buns or braids that are too tight or worn off-center and not supported by your shoulder) it's fairly rare to get problems from the weight of your hair itself. I'd definitely look for other causes.

lapushka
January 17th, 2016, 04:19 AM
It's odd to me. Might there be something else going on? ii hair shouldn't weigh that much as to cause you issues, esp. not at BSL.

Anje
January 17th, 2016, 09:05 AM
I doubt it's your hair, though exercises probably won't hurt .

For comparison, I just weighed my whole braid, with some help from my tolerant husband. It's a bit past classic length, ii thickness (about 3" at the nape with some decent taper). It's also that fine type of hair that compacts way down, so I suspect my braid is heavy for its appearance. At most, it was 60g, just over 2oz. That's not a lot, and my braid at classic probably is comparable to the weight of all your hair from the scalp down.

Edit: I never answered how I sleep with my hair. I find I can't wear my hair up to sleep, because something inevitably pulls uncomfortably. Mine is usually loose inside a sleep bonnet, which makes it reasonably non-lumpy but still prevents tangles and rambunctious kitten attacks. It also gives my scalp a break from constant updos. For the record, I'm usually a stomach sleeper.

LateRose
January 17th, 2016, 03:27 PM
At risk of being presumptuous,
*in a very small voice*
Maybe you could see a chiropractor? I have super thick hair and migraines, and neck pain, and I have chopped off more than a foot of hair in the past(out of desperation). It did not help. Chiropractic care did help. I go to one that takes moving xrays to see exactly what is wrong.
Massage is good for stress and pain!
*okay, I'm leaving now.*
Feel free to ignore me!

spidermom
January 17th, 2016, 03:37 PM
I don't think it's the weight of your hair either. What else is going on? Child getting bigger, heavy books, moving furniture, new responsibilities at your job, etc?

I sleep with a top of head ponytail or braid that I avoid pulling tight and direct over the top of my pillow. I have a second pillow wedged between mattress and bed frame so that my hair does not hang over the top of the bed. It's got a nice little nest up there and doesn't bother me at all.

Sarahlabyrinth
January 17th, 2016, 04:28 PM
It's odd to me. Might there be something else going on? ii hair shouldn't weigh that much as to cause you issues, esp. not at BSL.

I am thinking this too. Have you sprained your neck somehow? I would be most surprised if it was your hair, unless you are wearing an off-centre bun or some such, and even then.... I would still be surprised.