PDA

View Full Version : How can I get heatless curls to stick all day? Or a curling methood for public wear?

Entangled
January 15th, 2016, 02:31 PM
I've got a high school play production coming up, and it looks like they want crown volume and possibly curls. Normally I sleep in soft rollers for curls, but they mostly fall out to a soft wave with curled ends. My hair also takes a while to dry. So, what can I do to make Wesnesday night-curled hair last until Thursday night? Or is there a curling method that I can wear to school without looking ridiculous? Or any tips for a faster non-heat set I can do after school in the hours before the play? Hats and bandannas are not allowed as hair accessories (basically no head coverings). My plan is to do my hair in advance so that someone else doesn't need to take over, because no one else will be as protective or as gentle with my hair as I am.

Also, how can I get volume without teasing? I don't have enough sheds collected for a proper rat yet.

meteor
January 15th, 2016, 02:44 PM
If you need specifically a style that you can wear during the whole day and then take it out at night to get curls, how about a bun or a few buns high up? But it will give you voluminous waves rather than curls. Another alternative would be to do multiple Dutch Braids or cornrows or braids starting very close to scalp (the more braids you make, the more volume you'll get) and braiding (or banding) them together for the day, until you are ready to un-braid them. Un-braiding can take a few minutes. Make sure you do this on clean and damp hair, and maybe add a bit of diluted conditioner and gel or styling cream. You can also hair-spray your braids/buns for better curl hold. Keeping these styles for multiple hours should give decent hold. You might need to test how this works on your hairtype in advance, to avoid unpleasant surprises. Best of luck! :D

samanthaa
January 15th, 2016, 02:49 PM
If you need specifically a style that you can wear during the whole day and then take it out at night to get curls, how about a bun or a few buns high up? But it will give you voluminous waves rather than curls.

I get curls, not waves, when I wear my hair in a sock bun. Perfect for the day, and then you can take it down at night! I find it works best on damp hair when left up for at least 6+ hours (I usually sleep on it).

Laurenji
January 15th, 2016, 02:50 PM
(ETA looks like everyone posted first about the buns!) So, a curling method that won't look ridiculous would probably be rope braids, especially rope braid buns. You could definitely do at least 2 without looking ridiculous, maybe up to 4 if you put them vertically in a line (like a mohawk of buns). You'll probably want to still use some hair gel in it while it dries, as it will set the curls better once they are fully dried. And I would recommend sleeping in a silky cap if you can, to prevent frizzing.

As for volume - to be honest, teasing isn't the *worst* thing in the world, especially if you detangle it carefully and with conditioner afterwards. LHC-ers already tend to have MUCH healthier hair than the average person, so it can stand up to the occasional teasing/hairspraying/what have you.

If you're absolutely against teasing (which you might be, if you're planning lengths of knee+ ), my next suggestion would be to get some foam, like the foam they sell in fabric stores for cushions. You can cut it to a shape that gives you the necessary volume (and that you can comb your hair over). Think of it like making your own custom Bump-it. Then paint it in a color close to your hair color. Especially from stage, no one will be able to tell the difference. I was in a play back in high school where I HAD to have a super curly ponytail every night, and my hair does NOT hold curl that well, so I ended up going to the local Family Dollar and buying a fake detachable ponytail that was already curly. It was only vaguely the same color as my hair, but from stage you really couldn't tell the difference. So I doubt anyone will be able to see a foam form that you comb your hair over if it's painted close to your natural color.

Arctic
January 15th, 2016, 02:58 PM
Hair powder = teasing in a bottle

yahirwaO.o
January 15th, 2016, 06:39 PM
I think the only proper curling heatless style that looks great outdoors is headband curls method. It gives a 30's type of look in the front, especially if you use black one and push it backwards, or you try a long but thin scarf and tie a nice bow to it, you can also add a nice embellishment jewelry on top. The only downside of this method, is that it can create some knots in your hair if it's very long. Other than that, my mom always have gorgeous glamorous hair with this method I do to her every night.

.... and for volume, try hair powder, that gives a lot of volume on roots and paired with those curls, hair is going to look big!!!!

..... last minute thingy, you can try a sock bun curling thingy or a pin curl bun too. This video shows how to and you hair is going to look fantastic!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Evu05WFYRyU

kaeide
January 15th, 2016, 07:08 PM
I don't know if it's cold where you live, but if you need curls you could put your hair in a high pony tail, or multiple pony tails and then put in the foam curlers. Then wear a soft beanie and/or a bun net over over the curlers. I used to do ballet as a kid, and the bun net helped keep the curlers in while I would play during school.

CurlyCap
January 16th, 2016, 12:29 AM
Rag curls set with a bit of product work on the finest, curl resistant hair. A highschool friend used do to hers with cloth ribbons in school colors so she could wear it to school. It still looked....insane...but it was fun and spunky so she got away with it.

spirals
January 16th, 2016, 01:02 AM
Use curlers overnight that are smaller than you think you need. Yes, you will get too-tight curls in the morning, but a good brush-out is what makes the difference. If you take the time to thoroughly brush them out and smooth them they will loosen up but will last all day.

lapushka
January 16th, 2016, 05:58 AM
Always start from nearly dry (90%) hair or dry hair that you dampen a slight bit. Curling it totally wet is a no-no - it is just never going to dry well (not in time at least). I'd use flexi rods if your hair is on the long side, instead of perm rods or other rollers.

Entangled
January 16th, 2016, 10:55 AM
Update: my costume top has sequins all over it. I'm not thrilled about that. Detangling will be much harder and I doubt that friction can be good for hair.

As for curling methods: a sock bun is probably out because I'm completely inept, but I'm thinking I might figure out a was to play around with bandanna curls an try and wear them like a sock bun. Or maybe something like Bantu knots? As for headband curls, my hair's around an inch from BCL, so tangling might be an issue, but it will no matter what since the top is covered in sequins. I don't have any decorative headbands, or really any stretchy ones in general, so that one might be out. Rope braids don't really give my hair much curl; at most it's slight waves.

The ponytail+curlers might be worth a shot, though I can't have a head covering at school. If I can whip up a bun cover fast enough, I could try that out.

Regarding rag curls and ribbons, that sounds fun and kinda insane; maybe I'll try it overnight and see if I have the confidence to wear it (I have always enjoyed the way my hair looks short in soft curlers, but it's not exactly an acceptable public style. I might be able to make a simple sleeping cap and try it.

Yes, Lapushka, mostly dry hair is the way to go. I've accidentally done curls in too wet hair, and it was an angular frizz monster disaster. It works better if I dampen dry hair than I if wait for it to be dry enough.

As for teasing, it's not the damage so much that bothers me (though the teasing process is so violent looking for hair that it's definitely a factor), but the detangling afterword that I don't like. Especially since I'll have to do it four times and each at least once in between. Plus, I am hoping to try for extreme lengths, and it's not very gentle. Plus, I'll get frustrated with detangling and then go rough some more to get it out.

As I am a bird, I'm going to see if I can try a beebutt Mohawk of buns for a cockatoo type look and see if I can get away with that instead of down. If not, maybe it'll give curls.

Thanks do the suggestions! I'm still open for more.

Entangled
January 16th, 2016, 11:10 AM
I think the only proper curling heatless style that looks great outdoors is headband curls method. It gives a 30's type of look in the front, especially if you use black one and push it backwards, or you try a long but thin scarf and tie a nice bow to it, you can also add a nice embellishment jewelry on top. The only downside of this method, is that it can create some knots in your hair if it's very long. Other than that, my mom always have gorgeous glamorous hair with this method I do to her every night.

.... and for volume, try hair powder, that gives a lot of volume on roots and paired with those curls, hair is going to look big!!!!

..... last minute thingy, you can try a sock bun curling thingy or a pin curl bun too. This video shows how to and you hair is going to look fantastic!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Evu05WFYRyU
That video was really helpful! I enjoy high buns, and even if they're trendier and more messy than I'm used to, I can get behind both styles. (But if it's harder for her with long hair it'll definitely be harder for me with my long hair!)

I was also thinking about doing something like bandanna curls and headband curls, but with a scarf and tying it like a headband over my head. I would twist and wrap it around the scarf bandanna style(in a spiral) and pin the ends, then tie it all up above my head. We'll see about it.
Tonight I'm going to try the pincurl high bun or sock bun.

Oh, and the tighter curls than you want sounds like a good plan.

How do you use product to keep in a curl? I've never used a real leave in product other than detangler.

Hair powder sounds interesting! Where can you get it?

yahirwaO.o
January 16th, 2016, 06:07 PM
That video was really helpful! I enjoy high buns, and even if they're trendier and more messy than I'm used to, I can get behind both styles. (But if it's harder for her with long hair it'll definitely be harder for me with my long hair!)

How do you use product to keep in a curl? I've never used a real leave in product other than detangler.

Hair powder sounds interesting! Where can you get it?

No problem. Well yeah it curls and hair still looks good to leave the door. There is this girl that uses a scarf for curls instead of a bandana

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7pqaM1Gm2I

As for pin curling, I guess you can try something a little more showy and best for shorter hair with a 40's type of updo, it curls and looks vintage cool! Seriously just pin curl in a way it doesn't look like a granny set and there you have it. Victory rolls with the high bun comes in my mind!

In my experience mousse or setting lotion in damp hair works better for heatless curls, it depends on your texture really!

Hair powder or plain dry shampoo do the same and you can get it at any drugstore or If u have a Sally's go there. Let your imagination go with these tricks!

spirals
January 16th, 2016, 08:58 PM
Pin curls can be difficult because they don't want to slide off the finger. Sometimes I roll the hair around a lip gloss or mascara or brush handle--those are especially good since they are tapered at the end. Anyway, the smooth plastic lends itself more to sliding. But I usually use a sponge/rag hybrid instead of pin curls: take the sponge off the plastic fastener altogether and put inside a knee-high stocking. After rolling you just tie the ends like a rag curl.

Entangled
January 16th, 2016, 10:42 PM
Okay. The sock bun was a massive failure, because I couldn't even wrap one piece of my hair around it without it getting massively tangled and stuck to the sock. I tried the pin curl bun, but it was hard to get the ends fixed into the curl and to pin them in place, so I'm going to have to give it another go another time. I ended up making a ponytail and then using spongy rag/wire curlers. It's not outrageous, but it will attract stares and probably look like a faux pas unless I can make a bun cover, but it's a lot bigger than a regular bun and will attract a lot of looks even covered up. I'm a little bummed. I really hoped the pin curl bun would work well. It looks like next up is the beebutt Mohawk. If that looks decent and gives curls, then I'll wear that to school Thursday and Friday. If not, then I'll get out a scarf or bandanna and try the bandanna curl/headband curl hybrid I thought about. Hopefully they won't dress code me for having a bandanna if it looks like a headband.

librarychick
January 17th, 2016, 01:31 PM
You could try a bunch of tiny rope braids and then wind them into buns.

When I'm feeling fancy that's what I do, and if I dampen the hair first it doesn't get as frizzy...and the next day everything is very curly. The smaller your sections the tighter the curls would be.

yahirwaO.o
January 17th, 2016, 08:35 PM
Try to dampen your pony before rolling! It's much easier to pin the ends this way. If you hair gets stuck in the sock, its pretty like that the scarf turns out a tangle mess too.

Give it another try to the pin curl bun but with some moisture to lock the style and your ends!

AJNinami
January 18th, 2016, 10:59 AM
I've never tried this method but it is on a girl with long-ish hair. You probably will want to add a small amount of oil instead of using her leave-ins for soft hair. She does mention that a slight oil seems to hold her curls better. The amount of time the curl will last depends on how well your hair holds curls, but near the end of the video she says her curls lasted for about 4 days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ri1CQ68LiLA

Gaalsong
January 19th, 2016, 10:25 AM
I second the headband curls, or at least they work for me. But my hair is only BSL at this point.

Entangled
January 19th, 2016, 09:24 PM
It looks like my post got eaten last night. Oh well.

I found a new (to me) method of rag curling that uses long strips rather than little ones. I used scarves. Based on Torrin Paige's video, I put them in and they were gorgeous curls--probably one of my favorite and had minimal tangles. It stayed well enough, and we had high humidity, so I think I'll do that. Thanks for the suggestions, guys! Now the main part is figuring out how to get the curls as minimally frizzed as possible and figure out how to minimize tangling form the back of my sequined costume. I think I'm going to pin a scarf to the back of it so my hair's not constantly tangling around sequins while I dance.

Charjonesxoxo
January 22nd, 2018, 04:20 PM
Start with damp hair and use rags or old fabric and rap your hair around the rags and then tie them over night for super right ringlets

leayellena
January 23rd, 2018, 03:22 AM
Maybe it sounds strange but using perm rolls (or something like that) on damp hair with a little bit of hair spray. I know I can't stand hair sprays because they make my hair crunchy and crispy and I cringe at the feeling. Cover your pillow with a satin pillow case so you don't smear the product (who knows.... Just in case). Hope it works.
For me, I twist my hair while I S&D for 10 mins and tada! Beachy waves or whatever they're called.
Curious thing about my hair: it dries straight but my layers form curling iron curls. Something like I don't know how to use a curling iron lol